PDA

View Full Version : bank accounts

timmberty
September 10th, 2013, 16:21
im sure this will have been discussed before but lets do it again!!!!
i need to find a thai bank i can transfer some money into, what banks do the expats suggest and why ?
i need a bank mainly for the use of an atm card. free is best of course.
i will have a week after i arrive in pattaya to sort out an account and to transfer the cash across, so what and why is best for you?

adman5000
September 10th, 2013, 17:57
I use Bangkok Bank. They have lots of branches, easy to find ATMs, allow visitors to set up account and ATM card, they give me a very good exchange rate while transferring money in, and their ATM screen allows me to transfer to other bank's accounts if needed. I have never had any type of problem.

netrix
September 10th, 2013, 19:13
Yea Bangkok Bank is my favorite too. I have 3 bank accounts in Thailand.
One benefit of Bangkok Bank is it has international branches. I'm from the US, and using the
US branch routing number and my Thailand bank account number I can transfer funds from
another US bank account easily without the international transfer fees. They have a London
branch too.

But if you don't have a retirement visa or work permit it may be difficult getting an account
at Bangkok Bank. I had to show my 1 year visa and my work permit book to open an account.

Not all banks in Thailand have debit cards that can be used online. Bangkok Bank does. And
so does Kasikorn Bank. KBank is the easiest for westerners to open an account. When I first
arrived here, I went into a KBank branch and asked what I needed to open an account and they
said "your passport and name of your hotel." KBank is also easy to use to top up your Thai
mobile phone minutes online.

My 3rd account was for my job to use for direct deposit at SCB. Debit card is for point of sale only.
Money transfers between all banks are easy in Thailand, so any bank is as good as another for
sending money to a Thai friend for example. It's also easy to set up bill payments with SCB.

You can open an account with as little as 500 baht at most banks. Debit cards will cost an
additional 500 baht or so, and at both Bangkok Bank and KBank you will need to let them know
when opening the account you will want to use the card for online purchases and internet banking.

SimpleSoul
September 10th, 2013, 20:28
Siam Commercial Bank are very good.

I would suppose most of the big names can be used seamlessly.

With regard to transferring money, I have found that depositing a cheque from your home country and having them send it for payment is the cheapest way to send money from overseas... If you follow me. It takes about 28 days depending upon the country of home bank account. Of course, this time frame might not work for everyone.

Hope this helps.

timmberty
September 10th, 2013, 22:53
thanks very much. transfering money isnt going to be much of a problem once i have a bank, im going to do it thru for-ex they give a great rate just about half a baht lower than rates quoted online, so at the moment its about 50.50 to the pound i'll get 50baht, and should take no more than 3 days to clear...
so really just after a good bank for a hole in the wall card.

Nirish guy
September 10th, 2013, 23:14
Tim at the risk of just being plain nosey - and i've maybe missed it if you've already posted your plans - but is this you doing a Christian and upping sticks and moving to Thailand to give it a try for a while ?? If so best of luck with it, I'm both looking forward to reading about your adventures there and also ever so slightly jealous !

timmberty
September 10th, 2013, 23:34
no need to be jealous, im a boring old fucker !!!
im going to be a student for how ever long it lasts, could be 2 or 3 years, could be forever.
ive got me new school cap and tie already, a roll over 1 year visa with no need for a visa run.

Nirish guy
September 11th, 2013, 00:32
Wow, now I've heard of being a mature student but I'm guessing you're over 40 now so that's really getting into the mature student end of the market - but hey good for you and no matter how boring you think you're going to be I'm guessing being Thailand you'll still end up having a ball ( so again at the risk of just being plain nosey) so what are you going to do for an income then ( assuming that you need one that is and assuming that you can't and wont be working !) as a couple of years living without something coming in would put a brave dent in anyones savings I would guess and whilst I know they're big into the lottery in Thailand you DO know that just moving there doesn't mean you're going to win it you don't you - just checking ! :-)

Oh and as for schools and caps if your school was anything like mine the only caps that were ever seen about my place was the ones all the 14 year girls were wearing to stop getting pregnant from all the 15 year old boys that they were shagging every other night ! ( they were a classy lot those birds and that's no lie :-) lol

timmberty
September 11th, 2013, 00:37
money !!!! i knew there was something i forgot !!!!
i shall be letting me house out, and 20 years of doing 70 or 80 hours a week kinda sorts out the bank balance,
as for mature 40 ha try 51, i hope im not older than the teacher tho, kinda loses the kink.

Nirish guy
September 11th, 2013, 00:55
Fair play to ya, good to see someone getting up and shaking their life up a bit and as you say what the hells the point of working all those hours if you can't take the time to enjoy the fruits of your labour while you're still young and healthy enough to enjoy it - just like your comments on the thread about the wills I totally agree with you as to whats the point of working just to leave it all behind you, blow the bloody lot I say and leave the dogs home to look elsewhere as I'm sure they'll manage ( even though I love dogs). So, a farang arriving with loads of free time, surrounded by young students and who has a shit load of money stashed in his bank account, I've a feeling you're about to become the most popular student in the school ! - well especially when it comes to buying the whiskey if nothing else ! I'm sure you're excited as hell at the prospect and also quietly shitting yourself at the huge change of life thats about to hit you ! Life's short and you're taking it by the balls - good for you !

timmberty
September 11th, 2013, 01:00
strangly enough (or not as the case my be) im not in the least bit excited, i dont tend to do excitment.
bored with life in england now, feel comfortable in thailand, so why not indeed try something different.
im sure after a few months it will get boring, then i will have to try and find something to do workwise, yes i know im not allowed to do so, but who going to tell ??
christmas on the beach will be nice tho as will be trecking all over asia.
i was going to do it last year, but didnt get things sorted out in time, still got a few things to do but all minor, so its all systems go.

joe552
September 11th, 2013, 02:29
I trust you'll be posting detailed financial accounts during your sojourn in Asia? It's what we've come to expect here, after all.

Honestly, wish you well and only slightly jealous.

SimpleSoul
September 11th, 2013, 07:44
Timmberty,

If you think it will become boring then almost certainly it will... I have been in Thailand now for 2 years; into my 3rd retirement visa and my life, as if anybody cares, is simply wonderful. Every day is different; I am out and about much more than before. I am guessing you are not going to only experience the go-go bars and all that scene... I think that is indeed where boredom can lie.

BTW, have you stated what you are studying? I think I missed that... care to share?

I also agree with and fully recommend early retirement, if people can do it. Spend your money on YOU and what you enjoy. Good for YOU.

Good Luck.

Zebedee
September 11th, 2013, 16:03
Well done on your move to Thailand Timmy, wish I could do it.

Zebedee
September 11th, 2013, 16:14
im going to be a student for how ever long it lasts, could be 2 or 3 years, could be forever.
ive got me new school cap and tie already.

I couldn't resist... Timmy.

...oh my! They grow up so fast!

timmberty
September 12th, 2013, 00:57
go go bars will not be to high on the agenda, not really my kind of thing.
going to study thai, i've always said if you live in someone elses country you should learn the language.
glad you are still having fun, whilst im not one for getting to excited i will be glad to leave the getting up at 5am and getting home at 18.30 behind. all i need is to find a nice thai mummy to make me a packed lunch in the mornings and i'll be fine.

well done zebedee, glad to see someones got my real picture up on line. or was that scotty when he was younger ?
ive left me glasses at work.

danny99
September 17th, 2013, 14:54
i need to find a thai bank i can transfer some money into, what banks do the expats suggest and why ?

I think it depends on whether you are a resident of Thailand or just a regular visitor?

In 2000 I tried to open an account with Bangkok Bank but was unable to as I was not a resident. I had no problem at Thai Farmers [now Kasikorn] and have found them to be fantastic [replacing lost passbook, ATM cards] but do not use them anymore for internet banking as it requires an MPIN sent to your handphone and I use a DTAC number only when in Thailand.

I either transfer money from my CIMB banl in Bali [credited instantly to Thai account] or bring in cash, change at airport and deposit in cash deposit machines at Kasikorn Suriwongse that night, all very convenient, then draw out at ATM's whenever required...they have many everywhere....from my Bali experiences I would expect CIMB Thailand to also be excellent [they are in Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore and Indonesia, all the countries with red/white flags], they have the best internet banking that I have come across and I use IB with different banks in 4 different countries.

ikarus
September 26th, 2013, 22:01

I think it depends on whether you are a resident of Thailand or just a regular visitor?

In 2000 I tried to open an account with Bangkok Bank but was unable to as I was not a resident. I had no problem at Thai Farmers [now Kasikorn] and have found them to be fantastic [replacing lost passbook, ATM cards] but do not use them anymore for internet banking as it requires an MPIN sent to your handphone and I use a DTAC number only when in Thailand.

I either transfer money from my CIMB banl in Bali [credited instantly to Thai account] or bring in cash, change at airport and deposit in cash deposit machines at Kasikorn Suriwongse that night, all very convenient, then draw out at ATM's whenever required...they have many everywhere....from my Bali experiences I would expect CIMB Thailand to also be excellent [they are in Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore and Indonesia, all the countries with red/white flags], they have the best internet banking that I have come across and I use IB with different banks in 4 different countries.
Can you elaborate? To what Thai account they credit instantly? Do you have CIMB account in Thailand? (Malaysia, Singapore)?

Sooty
September 27th, 2013, 14:19
i've always said if you live in someone elses country you should learn the language.I've found no American living over here in the UK willing to learn English.