PDA

View Full Version : Black woman is back

christianpfc
September 10th, 2013, 10:58
Black woman is back

Black woman is back in Thailand, this time for longer. We met last week in Soi 4, nothing to write home about. We had Paella at Spanish on 4. She suggested each of us pay half of the bill. I was expecting her to split it 60/40 because I ate more of the paella than she did тАУ she was full, so was I, but I canтАЩt let food go to waste. In addition, my drink was more expensive than hers, should I have offered to split the bill 60/40? When we got back the change, four 1 Bath coins dropped to the floor, I could find three of them, but the last one fell under the wood grille of the terrace, I could see it, but not reach it. If any of my readers found a 1 Baht coin in front of Spanish on 4, please pm me, itтАЩs probably mine. (OMG! Did I just write 62 words about 1 Baht? Yes, I did.)

In a restaurant, Black woman does not read the menu. She takes the menu, puts it on the table and asks the waiter: тАЬDo you have тАж?тАЭ and then proceeds тАЬDoes it contain X? Can I have it without Y, and with more Z instead?тАЭ.

But when we met yesterday (04.09.2013), it was the full spectrum of cultural ignorance, strange behavior and тАЬIn America, this is/we do/whateverтАжтАЭ.

We had an appointment for 20:30 at Terminal 21. I was there at 20:27 (after 1.5 hours traveling first by bus, then by MRT, in between 30 minutes walking to visit two other places/boys on the way (full story another time)). I call Black Woman. She is still in her room (Suk 11, about 10 minutes walk away) and would take a taxi now. I addressed this issue (her always being late, despite being much closer to the meeting point) later, she thought I donтАЩt know how long it would take me to get there, so she was waiting for my call confirming that I have arrived.

We go to the cinema at Terminal 21. There are posters for a movie about lady Di. Black Women met her (sat opposite to her in a loge) in an opera in Paris. They were wearing the same or a similar hat. They smiled at each other and nodded. BUT Black Woman does not remember which opera in Paris (I know of Opera Garnier and Opera Bastille, they are completely different), so we have to take this story with a grain of salt.

Black Woman tells the cashier how much that ticket would cost in America. She often does, and she tells the Thais prices in Dollar, as if that would mean anything to them.

She invites me, thatтАЩs a first. She pays for the tickets (200 Baht) with her credit card. (Do you pay everything with credit cards in the USA?) In the cinema, I walk to our row. Black Woman suddenly stops and walks across the last row from one side to the other (the row is full, so you have to step over otherтАЩs feet). I follow her and wonder what sheтАЩs up to. тАЬWe sit hereтАЭ (pointing to two seats that are in a higher price category than we paid for, for couples without an armrest between the seats). тАЬBut thatтАЩs not our seats. If someone else has these seats, we have to get up.тАЭ No sooner had we sat down, someone else comes with a ticket for these seats. We move on to the next two seats. Black woman goes back to exchange the tickets. тАЬIn America, this (distance to the screen) would be in the middle.тАЭ

She comes back with new tickets. тАЬThese seats are 250 Baht more expensive (than the ones we had first, 100 Baht on Wednesday), but don't worry, I invite you.тАЭ After the advertising, before the movie, Black Woman is the last person to get up, and then hisses to me тАЬThis is so annoyingтАЭ.

During the movie (White House down) she tells me which actor she knows personally and whom (actor from the movie) she had BBQ with two months ago.

After the movie, we walk along the market on Sukhumvit. She wais people of lower social status. She asks merchants about prices and then tells me how much cheaper she can get the article elsewhere. She has no idea if the Thais she talks to understand her or not (I can see in their face that they donтАЩt understand her).

I couldnтАЩt make this up, but thatтАЩs why I like her, with her itтАЩs not boring. A perfect match to how US Americans are stereotyped. Very entertaining, in doses, not more than a few hours at a time. I subject myself to all her whims (Yes, honey. You are right, darling.) Maybe I can learn more about myself by observing her, in order to improve my interaction with Thais.

Do you think itтАЩs appropriate to write about otherтАЩs character flaws? (Especially in my situation, glasshouse and stones come to mind.)

joe552
September 11th, 2013, 02:51
without trying to be rude, am I the only one who finds this story bizarre? not that I don't believe it, but that someone would spend such evening and then feel the need to share it?

christian, I don't think it will improve your understanding of Thais at all, or Americans for that matter.

scottish-guy
September 11th, 2013, 06:40
Christian's adventures remind me of Christopher Isherwood - an emotionally detached/repressed person interacting with such bizarre characters.

Last month I visited his former apartment near Nollendorfplatz in Berlin - there's a plaque outside (I'm talking about Isherwood, not Christianpfc).

I went to take a photo, so withdrew my iphone from my pocket and 1 Euro dropped out.

I have put an advert in the S├╝ddeutsche Zeitung in case anybody finds it - but so far, nothing.

:hello2:

Zebedee
September 11th, 2013, 17:59
without trying to be rude, am I the only one who finds this story bizarre? not that I don't believe it, but that someone would spend such evening and then feel the need to share it?

christian, I don't think it will improve your understanding of Thais at all, or Americans for that matter.

Joe.....yes Joe it's me....you are correct, it is of course bizarre, more so by the the fact that CPFC now writes in near perfect English , complete with contractions! Despite his obvious high intellect, I think in his above contribution , he shows he is not who ( or what he says he is).
He may try to explain it, saying his computer finishes his sentences for him , blah blah. But in truth methinks you're on to him!

timmberty
September 12th, 2013, 01:07
christain is 100% german, he has the thickest accent you can imagine.
an i'd guess all of what he says is true, when he says things like he doesnt like to see food go to waste he means it.
i watched him clean his plate almost taking the shine off it ... the thai guys sat across the road watching him also looked amazed at how he did it ... i very much doubt it went in the washing machine after, it was that clean.
yes he is a bit strange but hes no bullshitter.

joe552
September 12th, 2013, 03:54
timmberty, I already said I believe the story. I just thought it was a bizarre way to spend an evening, and wondered why he posted his adventures, but then I don't live in Bangkok, so what do I know? Perhaps you'll have some bizarre stories yourself when you move there.

Zebedee
September 12th, 2013, 20:03
Oh c'mon! Another of my posts has "disappeared!
Timmy, given that you vouched for CPFC, I need you input once again. I read the below message which is addressing me on another thread! Can you vouch for the author or is he a Troll?

timmberty
September 12th, 2013, 23:15
well at least im not the only one with a warning now, welcome to the club !!

joe if you were surrounded by thai's 24/7 like christian, who knows maybe a change is as good as a rest.

RonanTheBarbarian
September 13th, 2013, 06:02
I must say it seems that it is an American trait that they sometimes treat the menu like an opening for a discussion, rather than a list of which you must chose one or more.

Was out with a group in Dublin over the summer, a place that did fancy brunches (eggs Benedict various way, salmon with stuff etc.)

The American in the group didn't bother looking at the menu, and when the waiter came rather than asking for more time, she started a discussion with him about the options ("What's nice honey?").

The waiter was a morose Eastern European of limited English skills who a had about as much time for this as you would imagine a morose Eastern European would have.

After a bit of this she handed the waiter the menu and said "Know what honey, i will just have some beans on toast" (despite the fact that it was not one of the choices).

Morose waiter had to get the Irish owner to help him out at this point. The owner said rather coldly "I MIGHT have a tin of beans out the back", which was obviously a bit of a cut-down, but needless to say the American woman did not seem to notice.

Still and all, she got her beans on toast, perhaps the lesson is that we Irish should not be so pussy whipped by uppity reataurant owners?....

Not really a style of interaction that would get good most Thai restaurants,though, from what I have seen....

adman5000
September 23rd, 2013, 19:09
Christian said: Do you think itтАЩs appropriate to write about otherтАЩs character flaws? (Especially in my situation, glasshouse and stones come to mind.)

I think you know the answer.

It is equally inappropriate to extrapolate the actions of one onto the whole USA. Plus I don't know if his/her actions translate to character flaws. It sounds like he/she is just trying to be a bit outrageous to be entertaining. It must be working if you are spending an evening with him/her. I agree with Joe552, this is bizarre.

If your goal is to improve your interaction with Thais, I don't think spending your evening with an outrageous black transsexual from outside Thailand is the best approach! Entertaining perhaps. You better recheck that flowchart. I can think of some much better approaches.