View Full Version : BTS or MRT nearby asking about low price hotel

mildsevenblue
September 5th, 2013, 11:48
Hi guys,

I am going to BKK soon and this time I want to stay 1 month.

I am not a rich bread so a low price hotel/service apartment is more of my style.

do you have any idea for 5,000 to 10,000 BAHT, can I find a hotel/service apartment near BTS or MRT (within 5 mins walk)

any recommendation or experience you want to share with me?

Cheers!!!

Thomas

corky
September 5th, 2013, 13:32
Om Yim Lodge is at the Chong NonSi sky train station but it charges about 1000 Baht for 1 night.

If you are hoping to get a room for just 5000 to 10000 per month then you will need to look nearer the end of the BTS/MRT lines and if you manage to find something then that will involve a lot of travel to get to the gay venues. Also the train services stop at around midnight so your night time pleasures will be curtailed or you will have to use a more expensive taxi to get you home. My recommendation would be to spend more on accommodation and less on unnecessary travel.

You will have heard of some boys who live in rooms costing 3500 Baht/month but these are usually only rented out for a minimum of 6 months and require a 2 month deposit. A few years ago I visited a Malaysian friend in a room in a guesthouse near the Malaysia hotel that cost about 220 Baht per night. It was big enough for a single bed and a fan and the washing facilities were communal. I would not want to recommend it to anyone.

Save your money and come when you can afford it.

Halfhansum
September 5th, 2013, 15:22
The Sathorn Inn, was great when i stayed there for 950 Bt. per night .... 1 min ,walk to Chong Nonsi BTS ...
http://sathorninn.com/

Zebedee
September 5th, 2013, 15:55
Sorry I can't help you with this one,but we do have a regular poster here who I'm sure would be happy to help.
Oh Christian! Christian P F C..... where are you?

Jellybean
September 5th, 2013, 16:08
A 30 day stay at the Sathorn Inn, based on your daily rate Halfhansum, equates to a monthly charge of 28,500 Baht when mildsevenblue says he is looking for a hotel or serviced apartment in the range of 5,000 тАУ 10,000 Baht a month.

And perhaps looking for a serviced apartment is expecting too much for the limited budget available.

I would be surprised to hear if there was anything in that price range in central Bangkok within easy commute of the gay areas.

Perhaps the OP needs to think about upping his accommodation budget as corky suggests. Another thought that occurs to me is, what about backpackers type accommodation in the Kao san Road area? Not that I have any experience, but they might, possibly, suit the OPтАЩs price requirements as backpackers normally operate on a restricted budget.

ChristianPFC pays monthly rent in the OP's price range but, he lives in Lak si according to his profile, but I donтАЩt think it is within 5 minutesтАЩ walk of a BTS or MRT station. But as Zebedee suggests maybe Christian would be the best person to give the OP advice on this subject.

ceejay
September 5th, 2013, 16:30
It is always worth asking a hotel if it has a monthly rate. Even where they do not advertise them, many do. Typically, it will be around half to one third the daily rate, but with electricity and water charged as extras and breakfast not included. Linen and towel change will only be once or twice a week. You are almost always asked for a deposit of one month's rent for a one month stay (two months deposit is usual for longer stays). It's best to arrange to check out several hours before you need to leave for the airport, to give you plenty of time to get your deposit back (which can be time consuming in some establishments).

Sooty
September 5th, 2013, 17:49
Wasn't someone else asking about a cheap room for 3 months? donald1? I don't think he ever said whether it was in Bangkok however. "Serviced apartment" for 5,000 a month though?

christianpfc
September 5th, 2013, 22:05
(everything below refers to the Ngam Dupli / Sri Bam Pen area, close to Malaysia hotel)

You can get a large room (bare, with bed with mattress and wardrobe) in Soi Sri Bam Pen for 4000 per month (I know because I stayed there two years ago). I saw Thai friends' rooms in Sathorn, for 3000 per month. The problem is deposit and minimum stay more than one month. And I don't know if the room comes with a refrigerator (my room in Sathorn 2 years ago and my current room was without). That pretty much rules out renting a room (you would have to bring or buy bedlinen and towels as well) and leaves only serviced apartment as an option.

You could try Penguin guesthouse, I think they have monthly rates. Or "The Bloom" or similar in Sri Bam Pen (either check on agoda or walk along the street). That would be 10 minutes walk to MRT Lumpini. A serviced apartment will be closer to 10k than to 5k, but I am sure you can find something that fits your requirements.

"I would be surprised to hear if there was anything in that price range in central Bangkok within easy commute of the gay areas."

I am sure there is. If the OP looks around a bit in the areas that interest him, he will find something.

llz
September 6th, 2013, 01:19
When I am in Thailand, I stay in the Saphan Kway area and often walks in front of a place which could match your requirements : it is called LKN Inn.

I never went inside but it seems not too bad from outside although being right on the very busy Phahonyohin Road.

Very few farangs in the area ; facing Big C, many food stalls and restaurants everywhere ; 300 m to BTS and about 300 m to the Saphan Kwai gay bars (not to everyone's taste). In fact you will enjoy the area if want to immerse in thai everyday life - speaking some thai will make things easier.

The prices range is within your budget ; see their website for more : http://www.lkninn.com/index.html

scottish-guy
September 6th, 2013, 01:30
Amazing how (on a >6 month stay at the place llz mentions) the monthly price of the One Bedroom accomodation drops from 27,000B per month to 7,900B !!

loke
September 6th, 2013, 02:46
There are plenty of rooms with aircon for 7000 to 10000 , but most of them offer a minimum 6 month contract , but all you have to do is ask them for 1 month and you will probably pay less than 10k if the room is available, however dont expect it to be next to BTS/MRT station . Be prepared for a taxi down the soi .

Sen Yai
September 6th, 2013, 13:50
mildsevernblue, whilst you didn't mention it, several others have assumed you would want to be close to the gay action of Silom/Surawongse and, if that is the case, the I suggest you take a look at UK Mansion - check out their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/UK-Mansion/157399284285686#_=_) . This place is located on Silom Soi 6 / Surawongse Soi Tantawan, very close Tawan and Golden Cock etc. Rooms are available at 9000 baht/month

Also in this area, almost opposite Tawan and above the Ramentei Japaense restaurant is Red Stone Apartments which is cheaper at about 7500 baht/month, but they don't have much of a web-presence.

These places are within 500m of both the Saladaeng BTS Sky Train station and the MRT at Sam Yan. There are several other similar apartment blocks around the Silom / Suriwongse area including the Tarntawan Apartments, which at about 13,500 baht/month is slightly over your budget.

I would be surprised to hear if there was anything in that price range in central Bangkok within easy commute of the gay areas.
Be surprised!

If the OP looks around a bit in the areas that interest him, he will find something.
Sound advice!

mildsevenblue
September 13th, 2013, 10:34
Thank you all for your kind reply. I really appreciate. I will post my final searching result and a briefing about the place that I choose to stay for your future reference.

Cheers!

You all are so kind and helpful!

Thomas

corky
September 13th, 2013, 13:35
I was driving up Soi Ngam Duplee a few fays ago (that's the same Soi as the Malaysia Hotel) and got stuck in the traffic near the Rama 4 end of the Soi right opposite a place called the ETZzz Hostel. They have a website: http://www.etzhostel.com/index.php
There is a private double room for 450 Baht/night and shared dormitory rooms from 200 Baht/night.
This may be of use to some travelers but I suspect not for those on sex holidays.

September 14th, 2013, 04:53
I was driving up Soi Ngam Duplee a few fays ago (that's the same Soi as the Malaysia Hotel) and got stuck in the traffic near the Rama 4 end of the Soi right opposite a place called the ETZzz Hostel. They have a website: http://www.etzhostel.com/index.php
There is a private double room for 450 Baht/night and shared dormitory rooms from 200 Baht/night.
This may be of use to some travelers but I suspect not for those on sex holidays.I'd have thought a shared dormitory room might be just the thing for a sex holiday. I'm sure I've seen videos on that theme.

mildsevenblue
September 14th, 2013, 10:54
Hi Guys,

I have written to a few serviced apartment asking about short term staying, i.e. one month or less....Unfortunately, no reply...

Hope you guys can give me some ideas.

If I plan to stay 20 days, but I am willing to pay the full month (expecting no refund for the days I do not stay). When I check out, can I still have my deposit money back? Or I have to stay the full 30 days to satisfy the contract for getting my deposit money back?

Wish you all have a nice weekend!!

Thomas

ceejay
September 14th, 2013, 14:16
I've sometimes had hotels fail to reply to emails. Maybe they don'tcheck them often or maybe they don't reply if they are full. Also, the cheaper places don't always have staff with the best English skills and asking if they will let a place for a month, but you only want to stay 20 days may be a causing a problem if the staff are not certain they have understood what you are asking. Try starting with the simple question "Do you have a room available for a month, starting on such-and-such a date" and leave it at that. If you still don't get a reply, the only options are to phone or move on to other places.
I have rented a place for a month and moved on after three weeks and had no trouble getting the deposit back, so it's possible but could vary from place to place. Whenever you leave, it's important to give them whatever notice they require to recover your deposit. It will actually be easier to discuss with them once you have checked in and paid for the room, because it will be clear that you are not asking to stay 20 days at the 30 day rate.
On that subject, insist on seeing the room before you check in, or pay any money at all. It's no good discovering the room is unsatisfactory after you have paid.

christianpfc
September 15th, 2013, 11:41
I just realized I will be in a similar situation from February on. (At the moment, I have best value-for-money room I ever had, less than 15 minutes walk to work, but when my work contract ends, being close to my former work place will have no value, so I need to move to a more central location.)

I drove past this place on a bus, and popped in a few days later because it was on the way: http://www.soravitplaces.com (Who designed this website? It is horrible!)

(They have a large board on Ladprao road with advert which caught my attention: daily from 450 Baht, monthly from 4500 Baht).
It's about 500 m from MRT Ladprao. The rooms I was shown where 5400 (to Ladprao, traffic noise), 5500 (same room style, but to the back, quiet), 6500 Baht. Fully furnished (but no bedlinen?) Fridge can be rented for 500 per month, same for TV. Room service is available for 200 per day. Forgot to ask about internet, electricity, water, deposit, minimum duration. (I have to make a list, to make sure I don't forget anything next time I look for a room.)

Staff (front desk reception) speak close to no English. Flyer in English and Thai, however English not written by a native speaker. They can't even get their web address right (on the flyer: www.soravitplace.com (http://www.soravitplace.com) does not exist, with google I found www.soravitplaces.com (http://www.soravitplaces.com)).

Bottom line: searching by internet will probably not be successful. Best to walk around in the area that interests you, and take a friend who can speak Thai for translation.

pong
September 15th, 2013, 19:09
Chris-is that the brand new place (well-new start this year) about roughly opposite from Ruan-Rab-Rong (m2m massage-well recommended)? Anyway-its obviously clear this is for long-time rentals, but as they ot fill up, they may do anything to get rooms filled. With fur in Thai tipically means the fur(niture) only, not the blankets, linens etc. i guess yet another extra may avail these.
There are loads of similar new condo's in that eastern part along Lard Prao-I was really startled to see how that road (the buildings bside it) had changed the last 2-3 years. Also many more in the sidesois. But traffic is horrnedous there in the peaks and the MRT will not be of thatmuch use for most of the punters on this site-it also closes earlier as BTS, but also does 50% senior citizen reductions-have to go to desk for the ticket-replacing buttons (might appeal to many punters).