PDA

View Full Version : Oh my god, my friends father got an accident

Jetsam
June 7th, 2006, 03:51
2 days ago I got an alarming phone call at 2 am Thai time, his father got a serious accident on the farm in Petchaburi, and he was on the way to the station to go to his hometown.
So I send him some SMS to ask about the condition of his father and the sweetheart give me regular updates by phone, (he calls me, and ask me to call him back) . I don't know why he calls me always about 1.30 am Thai time, maybe he just can't sleep because of the serious situation of his father. When I ask about his father the question is ignored, but he told me that the train fare to go to his hometown was very high and that he can't work now.
What should I do? do you think 50.000bht would cover the medical cost for his father and his trainfare?

June 7th, 2006, 03:57
Yeah, all my Thai boyfriends fathers have had farming accidents, in some cases, they keep dying, repeatedly.
Don't they have a 30 baht medical care system for Thais?

Jetsam
June 7th, 2006, 04:01
Yeah, all my Thai boyfriends fathers have had farming accidents, in some cases, they keep dying, repeatedly.
Don't they have a 30 baht medical care system for Thais?

Thanks, I will send him 30 baht then

June 7th, 2006, 04:08
What should I do? do you think 50.000bht would cover the medical cost for his father and his trainfare?

Yes, it would, m'dear as well as his Thai wife, gf, bf and/or kathoey in waiting. Be a jai dii farang and give him 60. Out of curiosity, how much younger is your bf's father to you? Since you're spending all this money on your bf's father you might want to have him for your bf instead.

Jetsam
June 7th, 2006, 04:13

Yes, it would, m'dear as well as his Thai wife, gf, bf and/or kathoey in waiting. Be a jai dii farang and give him 60. Out of curiosity, how much younger is your bf's father to you? Since you're spending all this money on your bf's father you might want to have him for your bf instead.

I think maybe his father is my age , so I could date him if he's a real looker, but if he's really serious wounded and not top fit I'll pass. :clown:

Captain Swing
June 7th, 2006, 04:35
Father lost a finger in some accident with farm machinery. BUT... surprise, surprise, no request for funds followed. Like BF's emergency appendectomy, motorbike accident, dead grandfather, dead uncle, "truly" father's Alzheimer"s, etc. etc., misfortune was absolutely true and was handled by traditional family network. No input from farang was requested or expected. Go figure. Sometimes shit really does happen.

June 7th, 2006, 05:07
Jestsam wrote :

do you think 50.000bht

I still waiting for the first Thai friend go installed PAYPAL !

Doug
June 7th, 2006, 05:08
Just my suggestion. Could you tell your friend that you want to make sure the father's medical problems are being properly dealt with. Ask him to have the doctor or hospital phone or email you with the details so you can make an adequate contribution. If you have the doctor's name and the hospital's name, you could phone directly to confirm the accident...but done in the guise of asuring all is being done that can be done.

Good luck to you, your friend and his father.

June 7th, 2006, 08:29
And other questions

dorayme
June 7th, 2006, 08:32
Doug has given very good advice. There is a very small chance that this is true. Bus fare isn't expensive in Thailand. This is a common ploy used here in Thailand to get sympathy and money. Thailand does have a 30 Baht health care scheme.

June 7th, 2006, 08:48
Yes, but if you REALLY loved him, you would send him he 50K baht!

June 7th, 2006, 09:38
Thailand does have a 30 Baht health care scheme.Indeed it does, but many people don't understand how it works. It is not a universal health care scheme or anything like it. In order to qualify for the 30-baht treatment your house registration document (ie. where you live) has to show an address in the catchment area of the hospital you attend. Many Bangkok-based Thais eg. your "boyfriend" are not covered by the scheme because their house registration is back in the village NOT in Bangkok. That's also why they have to go back home to vote. Landlords usually do not allow tenants to change their house registration to Bangkok (tenants have no choice in the matter)

So almost certainly your Bangkok-, Phuket-, or Pattaya-based "boyfriend" isn't covered by the 30-baht scheme. However the father probably is - if he's back home in the village. If however he too has taken an away-from-home job such as working on a building site or building a road, he too won't be covered

June 7th, 2006, 17:01
Not a construction worker among them.
A young beer-bar host in Phuket told me, 'Papa dancing in Bangkok,' and uncle in Pattaya.
"Mama old," so he stays with her. She's a massage girl.
I didn't ask if granny's a bathtub sailor.

jinks
June 7th, 2006, 18:59
You all missed one.....

Next week his buffalo will die.

June 7th, 2006, 21:09
Hmmm...

It's true that this could just be another scam- the advice about checking with the hospital directly is wise.

But suggesting that the 30B scheme would take care of someone with more than a headache is just ignorant. It's a joke that TRT invented to pander to the masses. The main result has been that all the public hospitals have become over-crowded, understaffed waiting stations. The usual result of a trip to the doctor for anything more than a headcold is an aspirin prescription and "call me in the morning," unless it seems like you are obviously wealthy. Even some important people have been given inadequate or no treatment and sent home (for example, a relative of a city mayor who died because he was sent home with internal bleeding after the doctors declared "nothing was wrong" when he went to the hospital under the 30B scheme).

Strangely enough, concurrently with this policy, Thaksin invested in private hospitals and has made a killing (perhaps literally).

June 7th, 2006, 21:32
Not exactly true, Opabinia. If you present yourself with a routine, curable medical condition, you will get the treatment you need.

Come with a boil on your butt, they'll take care of it. A broken leg, they will set it. In the case of the father who lost a finger, the 30 baht cover would cover his treatment. Not a state-of-the-art digit transplant, probably, but they would give him the treatment he needed. Early-stage AIDS, and you will get the cocktail and regular treatment.

Now, come to them with terminal cancer, and they are not going to shower you with millions of baht worth of treatment. Come to them with a heart condition that -- with a transplant -- might give you a 25% chance of survival...forget it.

But it is facile and ignorant to say that they brush off most patients with an aspirin tablet and a pat on the back. The program does work for most routine, curable medical problems.

June 8th, 2006, 03:30
Not exactly true, Opabinia. If you present yourself with a routine, curable medical condition, you will get the treatment you need.

Come with a boil on your butt, they'll take care of it. A broken leg, they will set it. In the case of the father who lost a finger, the 30 baht cover would cover his treatment. Not a state-of-the-art digit transplant, probably, but they would give him the treatment he needed. Early-stage AIDS, and you will get the cocktail and regular treatment.

Now, come to them with terminal cancer, and they are not going to shower you with millions of baht worth of treatment. Come to them with a heart condition that -- with a transplant -- might give you a 25% chance of survival...forget it.

But it is facile and ignorant to say that they brush off most patients with an aspirin tablet and a pat on the back. The program does work for most routine, curable medical problems.

So as a bitchy gay in denial , your medical problems are incurable????

June 8th, 2006, 07:58
Huh?

June 10th, 2006, 00:12
I imagine some hospitals are doing better than others, but just consider: how much can 30B pay for? A boil on the bum, I can believe- not so sure about setting a broken limb. It's simple economics- if the hospital spends more per patient than it takes in revenues, that hospital isn't going to be a going concern for long.

I'm acquainted with a very hi-so young lady whose uncle happens to be a Thai government minister. His brother had some kind of accident- had a broken arm and maybe some other minor injuries- out in one of the provinces and went to a government hospital, only to discover that the emergency lobby was nearly as crowded as a major bus station, all with people who no doubt had treatable conditions looking for help under the 30B scheme. Presumably he was willing to pay more than 30B, but it took a call from the minister to get him anything close to timely medical care.

Not long ago in Silom's blog I recall something about treating a sick grandfather at a public hospital- someone who had a treatable condition (for a few thousand baht) but who was not even offered the treatment until Silom showed up on the scene.

All evidence points to what I claim: the 30B scheme has simply turned public hospitals into dumping grounds for hopeful sick who will mostly be treated in an outrageously substandard manner. It has made real medical care almost the sole province of the private sector, except for those with very high-altitude connections.

Jetsam
June 10th, 2006, 02:37
Finaly I got out of him what happened , it seems that his father lost his whole hand, but is at home and my "bf" has to do the farming on his own, still he calls me everytime around 2am thai time , thai farmers are tough people :blackeye:
No direct requests for money yet though.

colmx
June 10th, 2006, 06:53
My only experience of teh 30 baht scheme is that it is more like a Tax added to the end of the doctors bill.
Eg.
Consultant 500B
Medication 1000B
Extras 30B
Total 1530B

I've sent 4 boys for treatment in the last 6 months, all of them (verifiably)suffering with the clap. 3 of them went to a clinic in South Pattaya at 1000B

All were cured within 3 days after a shot of antibiotics but had to lay off alcohol for a week after the shot....

The one guy who went to teh hosp paid 430B on his first trip...
A week later he finally admitted it wasn't cured and he was still in pain (from "not-strong" medicine) he ended up visiting the 1000B doctor to get the proper treatment...

As others have pointed out the 30B scheme is a scam.

And Jetsam, whilst ur friends story may be untrue.... don't forget it could be true!

June 10th, 2006, 09:17
I don't get your point, colmx. Did the boys you're talking about use their 30 baht gold cards to seek treatment?

andrewcraig
June 10th, 2006, 09:34
My only experience of teh 30 baht scheme is that it is more like a Tax added to the end of the doctors bill.

I've sent 4 boys for treatment in the last 6 months, all of them (verifiably)suffering with the clap. 3 of them went to a clinic in South Pattaya at 1000B

All were cured within 3 days after a shot of antibiotics but had to lay off alcohol for a week after the shot....

!

Interesting that you know 4 boys all of whom got the clap over such a short time.
Were they all from the same bar, had they been off with the same farang or did they catch it from another thai
Just another penalty of barebacking.

June 10th, 2006, 09:37
Or did they get it from you...?

colmx
June 10th, 2006, 18:55
Of the 4:
One claims he got it from a girl after the condom broke.

One is a dirty slut and has probably spent most of the last 12 years suffering from one form or STI or another!

The other got it from his Barboy Bf (who in turn got if from a farang)

The last one claims he got it cos the guy who sucked him had been eating spicy food!

And none of them have ever had sex with me.... i just can't bare to see boys in pain. And its obvious when they have it (impossible to drink alcohol - so the sufferer suddenly becomes very teetotal!)

Boygeenyus;
The guy who paid 430 baht to go to the hospital used his 30B card.
30B for Hosp, 200 for Consultation/Corruption and 200 for medication... none of which worked...

Jetsam
June 10th, 2006, 23:42
quote= colmx

And Jetsam, whilst ur friends story may be untrue.... don't forget it could be true!

Yeah, no shit I thougt let's call him now 10 pm Thai time , he was direct on the phone and said he was hot , me too I replied, but it seemed to be because of the Papaya salad he jus ate.
But this indeed worries me, because at 10pm he is supposed to be on stage at his bar. I still hope it's bullshit (especially for his father) but I'm not 100% sure anymore http://images.fok.nl/s/nosmile.gif , will investigate further http://images.fok.nl/s/coool.gif

June 11th, 2006, 00:02
Colm, you're trying to tell me that your friend's officially registered residence is in Pattaya (not somewhere upcountry), and that he used his 30 baht gold card at the hospital specified on it? It doesn't just work at any hospital, you know.

Jetsam
June 14th, 2006, 02:53
Ok short update,
I have send him daily sms and email about how I miss him bla bla bla , but never got a response anymore, So I think let's call him. He told me he can't reply to my sms because he has no balance on his phone, and he can't send email because there are no internetshops in Petchaburi http://images.fok.nl/s/confused.gif but he miss me soooooooo much too, I was little frustrated that he not directly asked for money, so I send him a email that I miss him so much and if he needed something, and guess what I had an email back within 45 minutes http://images.fok.nl/s/emo.gif obviously not written by him , where he ask for money, so I think I bite and send him sms to give me his bank account number, and 5 minutes later I got the sms with the number http://images.fok.nl/s/schater.gif
This is great entertainment and I will send him some cash , because I want the dead buffalo and cripple grandma too http://images.fok.nl/s/static.gif

June 14th, 2006, 03:06
He told me he can't reply to my sms because he has no balance on his phone

and 5 minutes later I got the sms with the number

his bank account number is a good balance ! Your a good lover Jetsam !

he can't send email because there are no internetshops in Petchaburi

If you were been there you did find out there are internetshops in Petchaburi !

This is great entertainment and I will send him some cash , because I want the dead buffalo and cripple grandma too

The thing is i don't want to harm you , or make myself smarter as you Jetsam, i even can be wrong but i take a neutral opinion as i think your friend is a professional and you can not get even the dead buffalo or the cripple grandma white your cash ! But you have to find it out yourself !

Gefeliciteerd met de overwinning van Nederland in het WK ! Doe zo voort Noorderburen !

June 14th, 2006, 09:53
Ask him if he wants to borrow my buffalo! damn thing never stops eating!

http://gaycocklibrary.pimpedhost.com/paul/esan/buffswim.jpg

http://gaycocklibrary.pimpedhost.com/paul/esan/buffkids.jpg

June 15th, 2006, 03:15
It is nice you play white the kids Oogleman, but do i help you if i am telling your boyfriend behind is getting boring and falls in sleep ! :sleepy1:

http://upload4.postimage.org/398099/buffkids.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/398099/photo_hosting.html)

June 15th, 2006, 03:44
It is nice you play white the kids Oogleman, but do i help you if i am telling your boyfriend behind is getting boring and falls in sleep ! :sleepy1:

http://upload4.postimage.org/398099/buffkids.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/398099/photo_hosting.html)

Lol..if there was an olympic gold for sleeping - he would win it!