PDA

View Full Version : Your tactics on "imissyou" messages at FBook?

1moRussian
August 18th, 2013, 17:43
Your tactics on "imissyou" messages at FBook?
It's a good guy (from agogo club in Pattaya) from my late July - early August visit, but not a "current love of my life" :happy7:
And really, there is no base for missing me, besides low season, perhaps...
Don't want to be rude and don't want to send money as well. Any advice? :hello2:

Nirish guy
August 18th, 2013, 18:01
? Simple - depending on whether you want to keep in touch or not simply say either "really, ok, thank you" or just a short (and not so sweet) "ok" or just dont bother replying at all. And just because he "misses you / your money" that certainly doesn't mean you HAVE to send him any money anyway of course. Although if that is the case then can I just say that I miss you terribly too and as my mortgage is due at the end of the month if you could drop me a grand or so it would be much appreciated. Many thanks in anticipation. :-)

joe552
August 18th, 2013, 18:23
I'm not sure the boys understand the phrase "I miss you" in the same way we do, or that we might use it toward a friend or family member. Maybe he just means he misses the fun you had together? I chat a couple of times a week on GR to a boy I spent a little time with - it's fun, light and friendly - never any mention of money. Why not just enjoy chatting with him until he does ask for money (and he might surprise you by never asking).

lukylok
August 18th, 2013, 19:11
I think Joe is right. Miss you doesn't have the same meaning for Thais.
He cannot have the same fun than when you were there, money -maybe- is not the first concern.
Not guilty until proven !

Jellybean
August 18th, 2013, 20:34
Your reaction to the тАЬI miss youтАЭ type messages depends, as other members have said, very much on how you feel about the sender 1moRussian.

I donтАЩt receive тАЬI miss youтАЭ messages on Facebook from bar boys, but occasionally I do receive such messages and others like, тАЬWhen you come to ThailandтАЭ from boys IтАЩve met on the Internet.

It occasionally surprises me to receive messages from boys IтАЩve not seen or heard from for many years. Even from those where I thought we reached some sort of finality. They seem to pop up as suddenly as the funfair/ arcade attraction Whac-A-Mole. :- )

I tend to reply in the same vein as the original message тАж тАЬI miss you too.тАЭ or тАЬHow are things?тАЭ or тАЬIтАЩll be back in Thailand on тАжтАЭ

I rarely reply to any message requesting money, or if I do, IтАЩll say, тАЬI am not in Thailand right now, so I cannot send you any money.тАЭ If I plan to see the boy again IтАЩll add, тАЬHope to see you when I come back on тАжтАЭ

But now the favourite and quickest way of communicating with me is through: Viber, WhatsApp or LINE. Sending stickers seems to be favoured by those with just a small knowledge of English. I quite like it too for getting a message back that, I assume, the recipient understands.

Brad the Impala
August 19th, 2013, 00:21
Thai scholars may correct me, but it seems to me that there is one verb in Thailand, that in my mind I spell phoenetically as "kithung" which means both thinking of you and missing you. Therefore as suggested above, sometimes Thai people miss the difference that exists between these expressions, and may just mean, "remembering the fun we had" rather than "finding it hard to live without you".

Farang think too much!

1moRussian
August 19th, 2013, 02:46
Thanks all.
The funny thing - this is the second "I miss you" from this guy and each time he wrote it when I am listening Isaan music :wav:
Yes, I wanna stay in touch with him, but perhaps in long distance touch. Just a meal during my next visit to Pattaya, if the "current love of my life" will be out of the town...

Nirish - you can be in line, but after this guy - you see, I have not mentioned 2ST at my room and a couple of the sittings in his club... So, strictly speaking, he has some reasons to miss me a bit, so he is before you in line :happy7:

BTW, speaking about Line - I found it sometimes confusing to exchange stickers with Thais - not sure what they mean or what they understand... Although, some Line stickers are so cute!

Nirish guy
August 19th, 2013, 03:40
ha well at least I'm now IN the line, that's a start, just let me know when to forward you my bank details for when you're ready to do the money transfer - oh did I mention I'm missing you even more now since the last time I missed you, no one make me miss them so much before, I not know why, you special for me, I think I want to know you for long time, I not want to see any other farang, only you........oh do I need to send me bank sort code too or just the account number ? lol

And re "LINE" - I'm with you on that re the whole sticker thing, I too usually can never quite work out what stickers are meant to say and I think many boys are the same as I get numerous stickers that make absolutely no sense with regard to the conversation I'm having with the boy at that time, I think half times they just look for the pretty picture or funny ones in the hope that it's vaguely close and will suffice !

Doug
August 19th, 2013, 05:17
Great topic!
I have a FB page that is only for my Thai friends that know each other. I only have 6 "Friends" on that page. I don't want to mix them with other friend groups I have in my life.
We communicate a lot and there is much "I miss you thrown in". We use Google translate. When I send a message I type it in English then use Google translate and send both the English and the Thai message. They normally respond in Thai only so I have to depend on GT to translate it. I have come to the conclusion that GT is not that reliable.
Every 5 or 6 months I send them money through Western Union. I send a lump sum to my one favourite who has a Thai ID card with instructions how to devide it up with the others. I carefully don't respond to their pleas for money but make my generosity appear my idea. (They certainly know how to use English to write, "I have no money")
Now I ask your assistance. The boy with the ID card to use at Western Union is not going to be in Pattaya for a month therefore no money for the other boys. One boy sent me the following message which I presume is an alternation method of sending money. Google translate seems to have a problem with it. Here's what he wrote: р╕Ьр╕бр╣Др╕бр╣Ир╕гр╕╣ р╣Й
р╕Др╕╕р╕гр╕Ир╕░р╕кр╣ р╕Зр╣Ар╕Зр╕┤р╕Щр╕бр╕ р╣Др╕лр╣Йр╕Ьр╕бр╣Ар╕ р╕╖р╣Ир╕нр╣Др╕г
okр╕Ьр╕бр╣Др╕Ыр╣Ар╣Ар╕ р╣Йр╕зр╕Щр╕░
Here is what GT translated: "I do not know.
Engine, you can send money jars, I would.
ok I go above it."

"Money jars" has been mentioned before but I have know idea what they're talking about.

Love the topic. I hope to hear of more experiences communicating with our Thai friends.

colmx
August 19th, 2013, 07:31
Doug
Try using: http://www.thai2english.com/online/
Its usually a much better translator... not much use at long sentences or paragraphs... but pretty good at translating compared to google... especially when it comes to slang and colloquialisms

christianpfc
August 20th, 2013, 15:54
р╕Ьр╕бр╣Др╕бр╣Ир╕гр╕╣ р╣Й
р╕Др╕╕р╕гр╕Ир╕░р╕кр╣ р╕Зр╣Ар╕Зр╕┤р╕Щр╕бр╕ р╣Др╕лр╣Йр╕Ьр╕бр╣Ар╕ р╕╖р╣Ир╕нр╣Др╕г
okр╕Ьр╕бр╣Др╕Ыр╣Ар╣Ар╕ р╣Йр╕зр╕Щр╕░

The messages translates as:

I don't know
When will you send money to me?
Ok, I am going now.

Many Thais I know use slang or have problems with orthography or there are simply typos (like in this case: it's р╕Др╕╕р╕У and not р╕Др╕╕р╕г), to get an idea what I am talking about just image one of pong's posts written in Thai.

In addition, there is a problem with р╣Бр╕ер╣Йр╕з, which reads out correctly in the text, but is not detected as р╣Бр╕ер╣Йр╕з in the dictionary.
(I got it! The writer used the letter р╣А twice to form р╣Ар╣А instead of р╣Б!
р╣Ар╣Ар╕ер╣Йр╕з and р╣Бр╕ер╣Йр╕з, can you see the minuscule difference? Fascinating stuff, made my day.
Never encountered this before. When you read it, your brain arranges it, but the dictionary does not recognize it.)

I have no idea where "money jars" get into the translation. I took word for word out of the original sentence, I didn't get it.

But back the original question. I rarely get these messages. I would reply "miss you too" or "see you on my next holiday".

netrix
August 22nd, 2013, 17:05
Yea I get "I miss you" from people I talked to a day or two ago. It just means "I'm thinking of you" or even "How are you?"

I find bing translator is often more accurate than google.

Doug, your message translated on bing is:
Hotel racha send money when I
Ok, I'm going to.

a little more accurate, at least decipherable.