PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Laptop

Neo
July 28th, 2013, 05:58
{This started as a 2006 thread - cut and edited for 2013 - jinks}

Tucom, Pattaya has some deals as does Power Buy on Pattaya Klang. Windows 8 sucks, Windows 7 is a little better. 64 Bit, at least 8 gigs Memory and at least 500-750 or more Hdd Space. Make sure it has USB3 and I suggest a 15 inch screen. Have them load only the programs you will use , not their entire disc. If they say they cannot, delete what you will not use. Every program takes up space in the registry and slows your machine down. Best thing is to get an Asuz or a laptop that offers a genuine Os installed already. Blue tooth and wiFi are standard on almost all now. Have then divide the Hdd into 150g for the os and the second partition for your Data. Don't buy an Acer, they suck. Try to get an Asuz or Sony or something with an OS loaded already. A legal one. Watch the people at Tucom, they are crooks, many of them, ask questions.

Dboy
July 29th, 2013, 01:19
Appears Neo is lost in the Matrix of seven years ago. Find me an exit! LOL

Dodger
July 29th, 2013, 02:51
If you just want a lower end laptop for surfing the net you can pick one up at Tukcom for the same price as in the U.S. Toshiba is leading the pack with the highest reliability in this category and you won't pay more than 26,000 baht which includes the latest Windows 8 software.

If you're concerned about it growing legs you can order a wall-mounted PC safe for 100 bucks. See link below.

http://www.schoolsin.com/SAN-WLAP2016.h ... MgodnAwAxQ (http://www.schoolsin.com/SAN-WLAP2016.html?fe_feedid=101&fe_code=SAN-WLAP2016&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=feedexact&gclid=CPLSoOn40rgCFZBaMgodnAwAxQ)

Manforallseasons
July 29th, 2013, 04:03
For the things you do with it and size wise an IPad would surfice and with the exchange rate best to buy in it in the U.S.

bucknaway
July 29th, 2013, 07:48
If you are looking for a wifi tablet, you may want to check out the Nexus 7 http://www.google.com/nexus/7/
It's better than the Ipad and is also 1/2 the price.

Patanawet
July 29th, 2013, 11:58
If you want a laptop with the Thai keyboard and characters, you will need to buy locally. It is easy to find a separate keyboard for a desktop, but not for a laptop.

You can easily buy a bilingual wireless keyboard and mouse here (Thailand).
I bought a wireless keyboard with mouse for about 800 Baht.
I use it with my P.C. when using the computer as a TV to play downloaded movies or TV programs, using the mouse for pause/play/volume etc. from my couch (yes, I'm a couch potato).

The connection to the PC or laptop is merely a USB dongle and no set up is needed.

Jellybean
August 1st, 2013, 00:19
I find myself in the unenviable position of having had recent computer problems.
My laptop was returned to me yesterday after languishing in a computer repair shop for 8 days.
I bought my current laptop, an HP Pavilion dv2 Series Notebook, at Pantip Plaza in Bangkok about 4 years ago.

It was the second time I had to take it in to rid it of some nasty virus, despite having antivirus software. The repair guy advised me to buy a new computer as the problems will only get worse. So this topic is of immediate interest to me, but the advice from members, notably the ex-member SF farang, is now 7 years old, although I wonder if his recommendation to buy a Dell, is still valid.

Can anyone knowledgeable in these matters recommend a decent laptop, not too big, and light enough to lug back and forth between the UK and Thailand in a rucksack? I use the laptop primarily for browsing the Internet and email communication. I also use Word and Excel quite a lot. I donтАЩt download music or movies. Those of you with good memories will recall that IтАЩm not particularly proficient with the technical stuff associated with computers. Thanks in advance.

Mancs
August 1st, 2013, 02:05
How about a netbook? I have carried a Dell laptop to Thailand and much prefer taking a Lenovo netbook now. It is much lighter and smaller and goes in many hotel room safes.

christianpfc
August 9th, 2013, 19:34
I was pondering (I think I even started a thread asking for advice) about buying a used laptop or desktop or all in one, but found that used hardware is quite expensive, compared to new.

So I finally ended up with a new laptop (acer aspire E1-531, 2.2GHz, 500GB, 2GB + 2GB free for cash payment, 15.6" screen) some months ago for 11.900 Baht and I am very happy with that purchase. Key points are large screen 15.6" and low price 11.900 Baht. Main uses are internet and writing in word.

Patanawet
August 11th, 2013, 19:22
If you want a laptop with the Thai keyboard and characters, you will need to buy locally. It is easy to find a separate keyboard for a desktop, but not for a laptop.

You can easily buy a bilingual wireless keyboard and mouse here (Thailand).
I bought a wireless keyboard with mouse for about 800 Baht.
I use it with my P.C. when using the computer as a TV to play downloaded movies or TV programs, using the mouse for pause/play/volume etc. from my couch (yes, I'm a couch potato).

The connection to the PC or laptop is merely a USB dongle and no set up is needed.

Strange cutting and editing by someone.
The first half of my message has been deleted and substituted with a sentence that I did not write. As I said, it IS easy to find a separate keyboard and mouse for a laptop (wirwless or wired).

jinks
August 11th, 2013, 22:36
Patanawet- nobody has altered your post. It is as written.

The first part, now deleted, referred to the 2006 nature of the thread.

When (to keep Smiles happy) a post is edited by me or the boss, we add a note to notify the edited post. (sometimes in the wrong colour - sorry Smiles)