PDA

View Full Version : Middle Eastern food in Pattaya

PeterUK
August 6th, 2013, 11:46
I don't know if this board has a policy on restaurant reviews; I don't see a sticky or separate forum, so I'm posting this here. As someone who likes Middle Eastern food, I've always struggled in Pattaya. I tried A La Turca in central Pattaya a couple of times years ago; the usual Turkish dishes were not bad but I lost interest when a potato dish arrived which had been cooked unsalted. Nowadays I usually go to the Lebanese place on the corner of Soi VC but it's not particularly good. Lots of the local Arabs eat there and it's pretty cheap, but so-so food - sweetened sauces and my salad usually has limp lettuce (and we don't like limp, do we? No!) Another place I sometimes go to is Istanbul Cafe in front of Major Complex on Second road. It's good for snacks and does an excellent falafel in a bread wrap. Not a place for a full meal though - or where you would want to complain anyway since the Turkish owner has a bull neck which would make the average bull quake.

Yesterday, on the strong recommendation of a friend, we tried Palace Lebanese Restaurant on the 4th floor of Central Festival at the beach end. Truly excellent. Indoor a/c seating or outdoor with sea breezes - we chose the latter. The selection of cold veggie starters (hummous, tabbouleh and other goodies) at 450B was enough for the five of us and the main-course mixed grill of assorted kebabs and other lamb and chicken dishes were well-marinated and very tasty. My cold lemon and mint drink in a long glass was very refreshing. The two Thais among us nibbled and smiled a lot but were probably thinking that the food wasn't a patch on street-stall som tum. Total bill including a bottle of wine was just under 2000B or 400B a head. I believe sweet Lebanese tea is served free after the meal though we didn't stay for that. You can also smoke a hookah (note spelling) out on the terrace if you wish. Definitely a place to return to.

Smiles
August 6th, 2013, 13:03
" ... You can also smoke a hookah . . . out on the terrace if you wish."
Never having turned down a hookah ~ that I know of ~ I am assuming you did. On the terrace I mean.
Very dicey behaviour though. I recall the last guy who did that was hunted down, charged, and hung by the neck until dead on a terrace in Jakarta ...

Hey, let's do hummus one day. Or, as dearest Oliver would put it: "let's do Hamas one day".

timmberty
August 6th, 2013, 17:18
thanks for an interesting report peter. im rather partial to middle eastern food .. i shall give the central festival place a try next time out ...
best to ignor the idiot trying to ruin the thread after one post.
thanks again.