PDA

View Full Version : Tarntawan Place Hotel

sydneyboy
August 3rd, 2013, 17:47
Has anyone stayed here lately? Apparently they are embarking on a renovation program and I was wondering if there are any notable changes of late.

Nirish guy
August 3rd, 2013, 18:53
I've literally just checked in to the Tarntawan two minutes and short of the change that happened a while back when the travel company moved out of their lobby office and that one room was redecorated I see no changes whatsoever, which I have to say I quite like as I've stayed here that many times it feels like coming home now when I get here, right down to the staff knowing my favourite room and reserving it for my without even being asked. So no, no apparent changes that I can see but I'll ask the manager later when I'm talking to him perhaps and see if he has any update on planned works ( if they're even happening as I've heard the same story now about forthcoming modernisation so many times and yet nothing ever seems to happen ( again in my book thankfully).

ChelseaNY
August 3rd, 2013, 20:17
I stayed recently and didn't notice anything different. I did enjoy my stay.

Maxxy
August 3rd, 2013, 20:49
Was there less than a month ago and the only change I noticed was outside at the start of the soi leading to the hotel and the lobby of Tarntawan apartments, the hotel is still the same as ever and just as good as ever as well.

corky
August 4th, 2013, 13:25
There is a new archway in Thai style being built at the hotel driveway entrance on Suriwong road.
It's about a week since I went past there so I don't know if the building work is finished.
If you arrive at the hotel in a taxi you will probably not see it.

Nirish guy
August 4th, 2013, 16:55
Yes corky it's finished, I just remembered then doing that work after I'd sent my first post saying nothing had changed and looked out my window to check so basically they've built a bit of a fake Thai temple arch thing rather than the plain concrete arch that was there before all for purely aesthetic reasons in guessing as other than that I can't see much point in the change.

sydneyboy
August 16th, 2013, 04:15
Thank you for your responses. I read on Tripadvisor that the Tarntawan now has in room safes. Can someone confirm this?

Nirish guy
August 16th, 2013, 04:20
Thats correct - after MANY conversations with the Owner where he INSISTED that I was the only guest who ever brought up the lack of safes and after my telling him how it was a real pain in the ass for guests to have to come down and leave even simple things like passports etc in the reception safe and screw about with two keys etc and how many people HAD already commented about it on Trip advisor etc, I'm delighted to report that "apparently" I must not have been the only guest to mention ( complain ) about that particular issue as yes as of about 6 months ago they now have nice handy, simple to use electronic safes "hidden" in the cupboard under the TV - ideal for throwing your wallet in to without making a fuss or needless embarrassing yourself or a boy as you can now do it while he is in having a shower - I just wish they would (could?) turn off the "beep" noise it makes when you press each button so the boy doesn't hear you use it as well and then they would be just PERFECT.

camperboy
August 16th, 2013, 11:16
Can somebody share with me what is so great about this hotel?

I usually stay at Glitz and Tawana hotel and if I want to feel "rich", I will check in at Meridien.

However, there are so many good reviews about Tarntawan and how they do not care about how many boys enter your room as long as they are legal with IDs. So I might book that for my upcoming trip. hehehe

advice? :alc:

bobsaigon2
August 16th, 2013, 11:38
What is NOT so great about the Tartawan is the very dated furnishings, so if you're looking for modern luxury, probably the Meridien is your best choice.

What IS so great is the welcoming atmosphere, well trained staff, and the guaranteed no-hassle when bringing guests to your room.

Sooty
August 16th, 2013, 14:06
Got it in one, they don't care how many boys you take back provided they've got ID. You can only breakfast with one of them however, and every old crocodile in the place will be checking him out, obviously or surreptitiously, as you spread your jam on your toast, while wondering how he performed when you spread his cheeks with your ...

camperboy
August 16th, 2013, 14:28
Got it in one, they don't care how many boys you take back provided they've got ID. You can only breakfast with one of them however, and every old crocodile in the place will be checking him out, obviously or surreptitiously, as you spread your jam on your toast, while wondering how he performed when you spread his cheeks with your ...

coolness! hahah

maybe i will just opt tarntawan. forget about the decor and niceties of the hotel! whats important is the convenience of bringing the boy back.

Will they check the ID at the lobby or lift landing?

for tawana they have a security counter at the lift landing.

Nirish guy
August 16th, 2013, 14:57
Yes tarntawan also have a security guard who checks and writes down details of the boys ID just outside the ground floor lift door - and they DO check and WILL strictly enforce their no ID you don't get past me rule ( trust me I've tried and I'm a "valued guest" and also rip that particular guard well on every trip but the one time I tired to take an Indian guy up ( who was on holiday too and wasn't carrying his passport they wouldn't budge on their policy, thankfully he was keen enough that he taxied to his hotel, picked up his passport and all was good in the end.

My only bad experience with the whole writing your boys details down in the book thing is ( and thankfully it didn't matter to me) that inevitably the boy hands his ID to the guard and of course in Thai style they stand and have a chat about world politics or whatever it is they seem to engage in talking about even to perform the most basic task of writing the guys name and address down, well on that occasion it appears I'd had quite a busy day with several ( different) boys up and down to my room throughout the day and the last boy when he bent over to speak to the guard to confirm his address or whatever was able to dig me in the ribs in the lift and point out "exactly" how busy I'd been that day and I thought "WOW" if that has of been a BF I'd of been screwed ! So I think the secret is to keep yourself standing between the guard and the boy and his little black book that he writes everything down in - although knowing Thailand the world politics conversation is probably more like "well, so just how many boys has this old farang whore racked up today then Fred?" - which is EXACTLY why I always trip good old "Fred" the lift guard a healthy tip on each trip to buy his silence - and he knows it !! Lol

Nirish guy
August 16th, 2013, 15:36
oh and with regard to more changes that have been made I meant to add that as well as the (re) building of that nice new pergoda archway over the main entrance alley they have also now both taken away the old security hut, which seems to serve no purpose other than give the guard somewhere to rest his head and sleep as you walked past him each evening and also the coffee shop on the corner ( which I have an idea was actually owned if not run quietly by the Tarntawan owners, has now been gutted yet again ( it was only re opened about a year and a half ago anyway!) and was in the process of being turned into "something?" else when I was last there - perhaps someone can update us as to what it ended up.

Also outside on the street down at the corner where the Pharmacy was that has now been moved back down into a small unit in the Soi almost opposite Tawan Club and the old entrance to the Tarntawan apartments has now been moved to the corner old pharmacy location and has been all updated and modernised, so yes it appears some work has been going on in general, but not perhaps to much to the main body of the hotel or the rooms it seems.