PDA

View Full Version : Don Plaza Hotel and Bar open Tonight serving Drinks & Food

Manforallseasons
July 23rd, 2013, 14:38
This hotel has a restaurant and bar open 24 hours a day serving breakfast lunch and dinner as well as well as well as drinks under their hotel license I was there last night the prices are also very reasonable, located in the heart of Sunee Plaza.

scottish-guy
July 23rd, 2013, 17:51
I'd be interested in any feedback which comes from this topic.

Last time I was mincing around SP (20 years ago according to MiniMee, but let's leave that to one side :evil4: )

I was passing by Don Plaza as usual and I thought I'd pop in and ask to see the rooms for future reference.

They were very happy to show me round and the rooms are a good size and well-enough appointed. I got the impression that the published rates (which are reasonable anyway) were very negotiable if staying for any length of time other than just a couple of days.

There was a Customer sitting in the foyer and he was happy to recommend the place. No lift - but I think there's only 1 upper floor anyway, so not a problem for me yet.

Manforallseasons
July 23rd, 2013, 19:13
Scotty, it has change hands recently and the owners have made many changes for the better, speaking with one of the owners last night he said his priority was to give customers choices, on his many trips here he hate that breakfast ended at 10 AM so like everything else on the menu it is available 24 hours a day. I had my usual gin an tonics 50 baht each!

newalaan2
July 23rd, 2013, 19:29
Scotty, it has change hands recently and the owners have made many changes for the better, speaking with one of the owners last night he said his priority was to give customers choices, on his many trips here he hate that breakfast ended at 10 AM so like everything else on the menu it is available 24 hours a day. I had my usual gin an tonics 50 baht each!
Thanks for the update MFAS, a post with a positive pitch from you AND you remembered the name of the place you were drinking in! VNman will be aghast that establishments in sunee are making "changes for the better", that goes against his whole ethos that sunee is all but dead. 50 baht for a G&T seems rather cheap, is that the 'normal' menu price or some special happy hour or over-80's price or something? It's certainly encouraging to see what was always a quieter part of sunee 'come to life' I know one of the Yaya waiters was going to work here so if they can also attract some good staff the chances are it will do very well in that location.

vnman
July 23rd, 2013, 20:02
Thanks for the update MFAS, a post with a positive pitch from you AND you remembered the name of the place you were drinking in! VNman will be aghast that establishments in sunee are making "changes for the better", that goes against his whole ethos that sunee is all but dead. 50 baht for a G&T seems rather cheap, is that the 'normal' menu price or some special happy hour or over-80's price or something? It's certainly encouraging to see what was always a quieter part of sunee 'come to life' I know one of the Yaya waiters was going to work here so if they can also attract some good staff the chances are it will do very well in that location.

Yes I must admit...if owners are giving choices...It wont be long before all that's for sale will be sold. Heck, we might even get a few arab properties back.

Dressing up a dead hooker and giving discounts on fucking it, or even a choice of when wont bring it back to life. Can't let go of the past can you? I hope that SP will last for many more years to come, even though you probably see me as a hater, I used to be a big fan. SO newalaan, let's agree to disagree and enjoy your time here in SP, Pattaya. Assuming that you live here too.

newalaan2
July 23rd, 2013, 20:52
Yes I must admit...if owners are giving choices...It wont be long before all that's for sale will be sold. Heck, we might even get a few arab properties back.

Dressing up a dead hooker and giving discounts on fucking it, or even a choice of when wont bring it back to life. Can't let go of the past can you? I hope that SP will last for many more years to come, even though you probably see me as a hater, I used to be a big fan. SO newalaan, let's agree to disagree and enjoy your time here in SP, Pattaya. Assuming that you live here too.
Had you not made sweeping statements about sunee we wouldn't have even been disagreeing, however I'll go along with agree to disagree. No don't I live in Pattaya, only a 3-4 times a year visitor for a month at a time in Thailand, Pattaya is just 7-10 days of those trips for our fun, partying and drinking part. That's as long as we can stand/enjoy Pattaya for. As someone who has seen Sunee as neither forging ahead or near to collapse over recent years, I find it encouraging to see at least some owners investing something in the area, or as in Double Shot's case a hell of alot.

Maybe in time it can win you back. I like Boyztown, Sunee and Jomtien areas all for different things, I can find enjoyment and positives in all of them.

TravellerDave
July 23rd, 2013, 22:05
I stayed at the Don Plaza last year and was very satisfied with my room and my stay in general. The stairs to the upper floor are rather narrow but this should be a problem unless you are of limited mobility, which I am not. I don't remember eating there and I seem to recall there didn't seem to be a restaurant at that time. Of course if you spend time in Sunee the location is fine, but I go to Dongtan beach in the afternoons, when in Pattaya, and the former is awkward to get to from Sunee.

Manforallseasons
July 23rd, 2013, 22:42
Many drinks are priced according to which liquor you ask for, the 50 baht G&T was Gilbey's.

francois
July 23rd, 2013, 22:53
. Of course if you spend time in Sunee the location is fine, but I go to Dongtan beach in the afternoons, when in Pattaya, and the former is awkward to get to from Sunee.

Motorbike taxis are readily available and about a 5 minute walk to catch a Baht Bus in vicinity of VC Hotel.

anonone
July 23rd, 2013, 23:47
I spoke with the new owners a couple weeks ago and checked out the rooms for a possible future stay.

They said the stairs are planned to be replaced next month. New stairs will be "western" style, which should mean less steep and less narrow.

frequentflier
July 24th, 2013, 00:23
it has to be good news for S.P.It amazing how people are so fast to knock it.I wish them well .It takes courage to go into business .

Doug
July 24th, 2013, 03:08
The past owner, I believe, had made an arrangement that his customers could use the Marine Plaza Swimming Pool across the street for free. Is that still in effect?

scottish-guy
July 24th, 2013, 04:15
Motorbike taxis are readily available and about a 5 minute walk to catch a Baht Bus in vicinity of VC Hotel.

Exactly - from Sunee, walk to VC hotel turn right and a multiplicity of Baht Buses are lined up to whisk you to Dongtan.

francois
July 24th, 2013, 10:48
Or (perhaps better) walk from to Sunee to VC hotel and turn left and walk a bit and catch one on the fly/go rather than wait for the ones being packed with riders.

TravellerDave
July 24th, 2013, 12:07
When I stayed there you certainly could use the Marina Pool. I recall being issued with a pass when I asked. It has the reputation of having cold water, but it was fine for me as I actually swim in pools for excercise. However I took a boy there one day and he wouldn't go in.
I recall that the bar was outside under a canopy. Is this still the case or do you drink inside ?.
I'm due in Pats in a couple off weeks. I may stay there or at the Ambiance.
I agree with the comments about transport to Dongtan, but not everyone is confident to use motorbike taxis.

francois
July 24th, 2013, 17:41
I agree with the comments about transport to Dongtan, but not everyone is confident to use motorbike taxis.

I think you mean crazy.

timmberty
July 24th, 2013, 20:32
dont be so lazy, why not walk, ? its far more healthy and you save 10 baht each way .. that pays for half the deck chair costs then too !!!
i walk 90% of the time .. walk up thappaya road till you reach the set of lights by the new condo building, turn right there and cross, you then take either the first or second road on the left ... first road takes you past some slum housing, nice to see how the other half live !! second is all condos etc ..there is a large market towards the end of this road, ive never been into it but it looks intresting,
anyway walk all the way to the end of the road and follow it round to the right, then first left and you arrive at the beach by the steps .. a nice 30 to 40 minute stroll .. then a 10 minute walk along the beach path to the gay area and you are more than ready for a beer..

TravellerDave
July 25th, 2013, 04:00
Yes I've walked to Jomtien several times and agree its not that far, although there is the drawback of vehicle fumes and the poor state of the footpaths.

francois
July 26th, 2013, 17:57
Don Plaza Bar has an extensive menu of drinks so decided to try their Extra Dry Martini for 90 Baht. Unfortunately no one had a clue as to a Martini and how to make one. The final result was mostly Vermouth, with a whisper of gin, served on ice and undrinkable. Best to stick with very basic drinks.

timmberty
July 26th, 2013, 18:19
Yes I've walked to Jomtien several times and agree its not that far, although there is the drawback of vehicle fumes and the poor state of the footpaths.

true, tho sitting on a baht bus or the back of a moto doesnt actually get you away from the fumes .. as for poor footpaths, whats life without adventure. i once saw a whole condo block vanish down a hole in the footpath, i was lucky i was able to leap across it.

thaiguest
July 26th, 2013, 21:35
Don Plaza Bar has an extensive menu of drinks so decided to try their Extra Dry Martini for 90 Baht. Unfortunately no one had a clue as to a Martini and how to make one. The final result was mostly Vermouth, with a whisper of gin, served on ice and undrinkable. Best to stick with very basic drinks.

That's certainly turning things in it's head. No point in being a member of the either the shaken or stirred club there.

But Don Plaza Hotel looks well now since they opened the bar onto the street. This venue plus the new Double Shot Bar and the newly enlarged Sky Bar and other efforts at brightening up the area up bodes well for the future of Sunnee. And if it still doesn't come up to the high standards of the gainsayers well they can stay away, can't they?

I heard that Churchill liked his martini so dry he liked to sip gin only while watching the vermouth bottle at the other end of the room.

jinks
July 26th, 2013, 22:07
A friend, ex-barman told me he had his martini glasses upended in a tray with a wash of gin on it.

The resulting martini = gin on your lips - vermouth in your gut - more profit in his till.

He made his G&T in the same manner.

francois
July 27th, 2013, 00:28
That's certainly turning things in it's head. No point in being a member of the either the shaken or stirred club there.

I heard that Churchill liked his martini so dry he liked to sip gin only while watching the vermouth bottle at the other end of the room.

Well I did use my best James Bond accent and asked for shaken, not stirred which did not impress the bar man or the manager!

I also understand that the American President, FDR, also enjoyed his Martinis same same as Winston!

thaiguest
July 28th, 2013, 03:17

Well I did use my best James Bond accent and asked for shaken, not stirred which did not impress the bar man or the manager!

I also understand that the American President, FDR, also enjoyed his Martinis same same as Winston!

I'm impressed and so are we all here on SGF and forget about the eternal ritualistic world of the cocktail makers.....
I'm an anglophile-
In fact so much so, that I believe the two greatest Englishmen ever to live, are James Bond and Sherlock Holmes. Without those two England's heritage is seriously depleted.

timmberty
July 28th, 2013, 13:39
I'm impressed and so are we all here on SGF and forget about the eternal ritualistic world of the cocktail makers.....
I'm an anglophile-
In fact so much so, that I believe the two greatest Englishmen ever to live, are James Bond and Sherlock Holmes. Without those two England's heritage is seriously depleted.

of course tom and jerry would have much the same effect on america.

scottish-guy
July 28th, 2013, 14:21
... the two greatest Englishmen ever to live, are James Bond and Sherlock Holmes....

Firstly, neither "lived" - both are, of course, fictional characters.

Secondly, the claim that either are "English" is extremely dubious:

The Sherlock Holmes stories were of course written by a Scot (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle) and the character of Holmes is generally accepted to have been based on another Scot - Dr Joseph Bell from Edinburgh. Holmes' ancestry is not mentioned, save that his great uncle was French.

James Bond's father is given as being a Scot and his mother Swiss - and of course it was a former Edinburgh milkman who gave all the best screen interpretations (Sean Connery).

Please educate yourself that the United Kingdom/Great Britain is not another name for England. The following news website may help http://www.newsnetscotland.com

:occasion9:

timmberty
July 28th, 2013, 14:46
holmes was written by a scotsman, so hes scottish.
bond was written by an english man, but we will forget that and mention that this non existent characters non existent father was a scot, and his non existent mother was swiss..
and he was played in a few films by a scottish milkman ... a man who also played rolls ranging from russian submaine pilots to american spies ... and all with a scottish accent.

and he may have once taken a very poor martini at the don plaza (just to keep on track)*
* ( brackets used by permission of niguy)

anonone
July 28th, 2013, 17:56
Hopefully they will get a bit more accurate as time goes on.

I stopped by to check out the rooms, as we might want to stay there sometime. The owner was very kind showing me around, so I decided to sit down and order a drink. I noticed they advertised having many "imported" German beers, so I asked for a Warsteiner. Waiter delivered a bottle of Chang. :dontknow:

Nirish guy
July 28th, 2013, 19:09
(just to keep on track)*
* ( brackets used by permission of niguy)

You should have said "kindly" used, but that's ok I'll look over it this time - Dont however be thinking that you can start using Lol's and :-)'s with without gaining my written authorisation first as seeing as how everyone (isn't) suing each other of late on these boards these days you may well (never) by served a writ from my solicitor ! :-)

L O L

Jellybean
July 28th, 2013, 23:09
I think the expression, "Brackets used by gracious permission of NIrish guy" might, perhaps, have been more apt. :-) Oh, and just to keep on topic, I've never been to the Don Plaza Hotel but will make a point of doing so the next time I am in Pattaya.

Nirish guy
July 28th, 2013, 23:35
Jelly you're absolutely right, your version reads so much better.

There you go Tim, you now have the approved template for all and any required future use :/)

Zebedee
July 29th, 2013, 13:59
Visited Don Plaza new bar ( new to me) just recently,great idea , opens on to the street so you're not cut off from the outside word. Had a sample of German beers and then settled for the local brew. I wish them all the best and will definitely revisit.

christianpfc
August 7th, 2013, 23:02
I did walk once or twice from Sunee to Jomtien (or the other way round), but would not consider this a viable form of travelling between these two places.

The following quotes do not agree with my memory from recent visits:

. Of course if you spend time in Sunee the location is fine, but I go to Dongtan beach in the afternoons, when in Pattaya, and the former is awkward to get to from Sunee.

Exactly - from Sunee, walk to VC hotel turn right and a multiplicity of Baht Buses are lined up to whisk you to Dongtan.

Or (perhaps better) walk from to Sunee to VC hotel and turn left and walk a bit and catch one on the fly/go rather than wait for the ones being packed with riders.

Baht buses rarely stop in front of VC hotel. I tried to hail down many of them, if they are empty if there are a few passengers, the driver just waves to indicate he will not stop. I either have to wait long time until a driver stops or walk to the baht buses at the traffic light (2nd road/south pattaya). I would not use a mocy taxi from Sunee to Jomtien.

TravellerDave
August 8th, 2013, 01:29
My experience of transport in Pattaya is that some farangs use motorbike taxis but many do not, believing them to be dangerous quoting accident statistics. The other thing to bear in mind is that the average 50 year old farang has never ridden a motorbike, so is unfamiliar with them? Thais are practically born on them.
I myself use them and find the Thai taxi men to be skilled bike riders, but the danger often comes from farang or Arab riders who lack experience and are sometimes reckless.
My opinion is that a motorbike taxi from Sunee to Jomtien is the way to go. Baht busses don't like stopping at the VC hotel and you don't know which way they are going Jomtien or up South Pattaya Road. If I take a baht bus I would continue walking to the "taxi rank" jump on and hope the taxi will go without a long wait.

bucknaway
August 8th, 2013, 02:40
At night when the bars close unlike to take the baht bus back to johmtien area. I get off once I get to the complex so I can walk through it and see what's going on and to flirt with the guys still in the area. Then I stop at the 7-11 to buy food for the guards at my condo and for cute guys I pass who Mai be out sitting along the path back to my condo. I have met some hot guys that way and they provided some hot times. Often they may be construction workers sitting along the beach drinking with friends and open to spend time with a foreigner.

egel
August 8th, 2013, 04:52
Baht buses rarely stop in front of VC hotel
Maybe because they are not allowed to pick where the kerbstones are painted red and white (also means no parking).
Thats probably the case outside the VC Hotel, so just walk along a little.

anonone
August 8th, 2013, 08:13
Agree that a short walk can help a lot.

Turn left, walk a short distance (just around the curve) and I have had no problem flagging one down.