PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes it's just the simple things that make LOS good....

Nirish guy
July 19th, 2013, 20:33
So when people ask me at home "so what do you like so much about Thailand I always rattle out the standard pat answers that I'm sure most of us give without really thinking about it much but tonight I registered a really small but pleasing "like" all the same.

I had nipped out for a little but of dinner at a line of food carts just off Soi day night and ordered an onmlete with rice ( not very Thai I know but it's what I wanted), the first thing that made me inwardly smile was the guy asked "sit in or take away" - now of course in Europe that would imply issues about table service, seating availability, have you a reservation, sorry but there's VAT applicable to your bill now you're sitting in etc, whereas with him it implied no more than are you going to stay standing up and eat it walking down the soi or just going to sit down at the same plastic chair you happen to be standing beside anyway :-) - I opted for the seat seeing as I was feeling like splurging on treating myself to dining out ( yes Christian I am joking :-) so i said sitting in and my chair was quickly pushed below my legs.

Then as he was getting his stuff together I got up, walked down the soi a bit, picked up some BBQ pork on a stick, brought it back, pointed to the wok and without a word he took the pork, cut it up and stuck it in to the omelette, I then ( after eating that walked down again and bought a banana crepe plus a bottle of water at two different stalls and came back and ate everything at his table with no hassles or drama and sat and chatted away to his wife whilst eating.

Now I know it's a tiny thing but it was lovely, just doing you're own thing, no one gurning about health and safety and notices saying "sorry only food bought on the premises can be consumed here" being thrust in your face by dome overpowering manager with gold stars on his name for being a good worker robot etc etc, just good plain ( damned tasty) food (80 baht Christian for the omelette - but it may have been 40 as I had two and can't remember, i told you, i was splurging ! :-) and everything just nice and chilled and friendly and at the end he got "over paid" by 30 baht and his wife a further 20 baht tip ( for translation services rendered) and everyone was happy - see, now why can't farangland and be a bit more like that sometimes !!

So, tonight's that's going on my "things I like about Thailand list" !

joe552
July 19th, 2013, 20:49
I presume he was cute as well? just kidding. you're right - those little things can really make your day.

Nirish guy
July 19th, 2013, 20:54
Actually im guessing he was about 75 and didn't speak a word of English - but he did give great head though once his wife went out the back !!

See Joe and there you had to go and make me drag what was a lovely wee story down into the gutter - shame on you ! :-)

adman5000
July 20th, 2013, 01:15
Yes, Nirish Guy, it is relaxing to not worry about the small stuff in Thailand. In fact, I find my attitude changes when I visit and I purposely dial things down a bit and try to be more relaxed.
I remember that one time while doing some mountain sightseeing, my Thai friend and I stopped in a small restaurant. We had some small talk with the owner/server and my friend was so happy because he said I was being very polite and "acting" Thai". I think it meant a lot to him that I joined in the small talk and was relaxed. Many times I insisted our driver join us for a meal while we were out and about, and that got a similar positive reaction. But I do that naturally, not just in Thailand. But the Thai seem to especially appreciate it, especially outside BKK. I also think it puts them more at ease being around a Farang.

gaymandenmark
July 20th, 2013, 02:59
Nirish, what a positive story and it reminds me why I love Thailand, take it easy and relax.
For me it is not all about the willing boys.

That said, and because every food carts normally are selling different food, I have found, that it is not uncommon, to buy food from different food stalls, and eat it all in one place.
Of course you normally order the main food, their specials, from where you are sitting.

I have done it several times, late in the evening, even in Silom, with some Thai friends, but I also found that it is more common outside the big cities and touristplaces like Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket.

Never mind, I like your positive and lovely story, and it is in fact on my "things I like about Thailand list" :occasion5: