PDA

View Full Version : SGT, a useful forum???

Krazy4thai
July 19th, 2013, 15:43
In answer to my own question I would have to say, for the most part YES.
I realise that in any forum open to personal opinion there will be shit-stirrers and A..holes.
As a yearly visitor to Pattaya in particular, posts which look to inform about up-dated info on Pattaya are most welcome as are posts about Thailand in general. It is my habit to try and read all replies on a thread so as to glean as much useful info as possible. What really eats my lunch is the number of regular experienced posters who know who the above mentioned posters are and who feed their psychotic need for attention by responding to them. Thus often taking the thread far off point from the original posting subject which garnered my attention in the first place.
Keep the good stuff coming gents.
cheers

newalaan2
July 19th, 2013, 17:06
I realise that in any forum open to personal opinion there will be shit-stirrers and A..holes.
SGT useful....for sure! It's THE most useful with a long history of such from when Smiles started it through Spikes ownership to the present. Only Neal's disastrous tenure being the only real lowpoint in SGT history, and will remain the lowest forever (there could never again be a more clueless and downright nasty individual running SGT again I hope). But if you are looking for 'reasonable' responses maybe you shouldn't have kicked-off with an opening line such as 'shit-stirrers and arseholes' (as I said on another thread, I really don't see the point of substituting dots/dashes instead of the full swearword on an adult forum for grown-ups). Isn't that just inviting the kind of responses you dislike?

As a regular visitor I too appreciate updates and reviews etc.. Of course the forum is far more than just a useful source of info and that can tend to overspill onto slightly off topic diversions. Where a thread 'drifts' off one topic to a natural off topic direction and provided the OP is'nt bothered I think that can be a good thing. The ones which go far off topic are now transferred to the Flaming Room, however that doesn't address the more extreme off topic 'bantering' which can be slightly irritating if it goes too far, I still like the idea of split threads where the bantering posts just get moved slightly but remain on front page, allows both threads to continue which they will if the posting and reading interest is there, but without conflict. Also there is the difficulty of responding to a question or correcting inaccurate info posted by another, that sometimes needs to be addressed and can lead to off topic discussions.

the above mentioned posters are and who feed their psychotic need for attention
It's the nature of the SGT beast, an active membership and readership higher than all the other gay Thailand forums put together is going to produce a higher chance of off-topic incidents, it's all down to how it's managed without resorting to deletions and censorship. So far I would say in that regard the new ownership has worked out very well.

I do like the Flaming Room idea as some things are actually better off away from the main forum like the spats with Neal/PBB. With regard to off topic personal interactions during a thread, I 'tend' to use PMs for that, but a split thread is ok in my opinion and I'm perfectly happy for any of my off topic incursions to be split/moved if interfering with the thread topic. What I like about the current set up is that there is a place for all, no matter how psychotic. Neals answer was just to delete everything other than his own nonsensical ramblings and all that did was drive the forum into the ground.

Krazy4thai
July 19th, 2013, 17:50

SGT useful....for sure! It's THE most useful with a long history of such from when Smiles started it through Spikes ownership to the present. Only Neal's disastrous tenure being the only real lowpoint in SGT history, and will remain the lowest forever (there could never again be a more clueless and downright nasty individual running SGT again I hope). But if you are looking for 'reasonable' responses maybe you shouldn't have kicked-off with an opening line such as 'shit-stirrers and arseholes' (as I said on another thread, I really don't see the point of substituting dots/dashes instead of the full swearword on an adult forum for grown-ups). Isn't that just inviting the kind of responses you dislike?

I'll go off my own original post here, as you did.
No I wasn't inviting a pedant to critisise my writing style. I didn't use the Amerispeak term assholes as I don't like it but know most people will identify it for what it is by writing A..holes. I tend to dislike using explicit terms which as an Aussie "arsehole"is to me. "Good breeding" dont you know :sign5: The rest of your post pleased me as a response to my OP in the spirit of which I was issuing an invitation.
Apologies for critisising your critisism but it invited it. No back and forth on this would also be pleasing to me. End of diversion

scottish-guy
July 19th, 2013, 19:50
Yes, I find the forum not only "useful" but entertaining, and that is all I am looking for - so I am perfectly happy with SGT.

The other thing I think would be "useful", would be for other "satisfied customers" to make it clear that they are happy with the direction of this Board since Surfcrest took over.

The vitriol being spat daily from elsewhere asserts that Surfcrest has done nothing to improve the board, that everybody is unhappy, that people are leaving in droves, that this Board is populated only by hydras, and that SGT is as bad as (if not worse than) during the previous owner's tenure.

Of course it's all so much shite - and whilst I do not think that Surfcrest needs any help in dealing with this - I think that those of us who are perfectly happy with the direction of this Board and who consider it a vast improvement over the previous state of affairs might just take a moment to make that plain.

I don't know how much positive feedback Surfcrest gets on a private basis , but he deserves as much public support as we can give, IMHO.

:3some:

timmberty
July 19th, 2013, 20:14
there have been 80 posts on here over the last 24 hours which is probably more than the cgt board has had since it was born about 3 months ago ... one forum is dying whilst one is growing and will soon be the worlds best ..
i wouldnt be taking that to the press to use as a headline !!!!
this forum seems to have come thru 6 months of hell in which a few of us played a big part ... it seems now to be back to what it should be about .. i.e. the sharing of information ...
for me the only thing i wish would stop is the need to keep on promoting the pbb/tbb .. . everyone knows where it is, so if you want to comment about it do it over there not here... and the less it is talked about here the less a certain ex-member will have to say about this board over there .. it will take time tho, cause this board seems to be his life at the moment ...

Surfcrest
July 20th, 2013, 01:29
IтАЩll just add that I know some, if not most are you, are wondering about the new platform.

A great deal of the work has been done already on the new platform and the new forum has existed since dante put it together for us some time ago. There still remains some final design (decorating) to do that IтАЩll need danteтАЩs kind assistance to complete. I think you are going to like it and we'll keep it easy to use. If you would like to check out some of the vBulletin 4 designs, have a look at this link;

https://www.google.ca/search?gs_rn=21&gs_ri=psy-ab&tok=o2s_l_9MrEoG0-jKEF73IQ&pq=vbulletin+5&cp=14&gs_id=1p&xhr=t&q=vbulletin+4+skins&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.49478099,d.cGE&biw=1280&bih=623&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=OoPpUcGhMOaLjALWkIGoBw

My good friend dante is a serious professional at this type of work and as such is in very high demand. When dante is free to return back and help us turn the switch on for the new platform, weтАЩll move forward with the new look SGT.

Until then, this platform is working just fineтАж..I look after keeping the floors clean and jinks looks after the LionтАЩs share of the work, moderation.

If you have any concerns, please send me an email or a PM.

Thank you

Surfcrest