PDA

View Full Version : Tues. 23 July -Theravada Buddhism important festival

jinks
July 16th, 2013, 13:21
Tuesday July 23, 2013.

Known as Asanha Bucha in Thailand, Thai: р╕нр╕▓р╕кр╕▓р╕мр╕лр╕ р╕╣р╕Кр╕▓ is a Theravada Buddhist festival which typically takes place in July, on the full moon of the eighth lunar month.
Also known as Dhamma Day, is one of Theravada BuddhismтАЩs most important festivals, celebrating as it does the BuddhaтАЩs first sermon in which he set out to his five former associates the doctrine that had come to him following his enlightenment.

This first pivotal sermon, often referred to as тАЬsetting into motion the wheel of dhamma,тАЭ is the teaching which is encapsulated for Buddhists in the four noble truths:

1. All life is suffering (dukka);
2. Suffering is caused by craving (tanha);
3. There is a state (nibbana) beyond suffering and craving;
4. The way to nibbana is via the eightfold path.

Whatever differences there may be between various schools and traditions of Buddhism, they all revolve around the central doctrine of the four noble truths.

This first sermon is not only the first structured discourse given by the Buddha after his enlightenment, it also contains the essence of all his subsequent teaching. At the end of the talk, one of the five participants recounted his understanding of what had been said and asked to be received as a disciple, a request the Buddha granted, thus establishing the first order of monks.

The sermon in the Deer Park as depicted at Wat Chedi Liem, Thailand
The day is observed by donating offerings to temples and listening to sermons.
The following day is known in Thailand as: р╕зр╕▒р╕Щр╣Ар╕Вр╣Йр╕ р╕Юр╕гр╕гр╕йр╕▓ Wan Khao Phansa;
It is the first day of : р╕Юр╕гр╕гр╕йр╕▓ vassa, the Theravada rains retreat.

In Indonesia, this festival is centered at Mendut Temple, near Borobudur.

Nirish guy
July 16th, 2013, 14:58
Is this the "big Buddha" day that a few of the boys have been mentioning to me is coming up but weren't sure when and more importantly (to me anyway) is that the day the bars etc will be closed on ??

July 16th, 2013, 16:46
Is this the one they call the "Buddist Lent"? Maybe we can get the new Archbishop of Cantaburry Justin Bieber or whatever his name is to tell us the similaritees between Buddism and Chistanity.

Dodger
July 16th, 2013, 17:26
Brisbaneguy wrote:

Is this the day they call Buddhist lent?

Yes, but in English this is referred to as "Khao Phansa".

Thais believe that it is also the first day of the monsoon season. The word "Phansa" means three months so "Khao Phansa" means to stay indoors for three months. During this three month period, the monks are not allowed to go to stay overnight elsewhere.

So don't worry about the bars being closed for one night. Just imagine having to stay in your loom for 3 months.

corky
July 16th, 2013, 19:44
Tuesday July 23, 2013.

Known as Asanha Bucha in Thailand, Thai: р╕нр╕▓р╕кр╕▓р╕мр╕лр╕ р╕╣р╕Кр╕▓ is a Theravada Buddhist festival which typically takes place in July, on the full moon of the eighth lunar month.

Have you got the date right?
Looking at the business calendar I bought in Central Chidlom in January the dates are:

Monday 22 July - Asarnha Bucha Day
Tuesday 23 July - Buddhist Lent Day (Khao Phansa)

As for the bars, in Bangkok they are usually open for both days ... not serving alcohol on the first day but full drinks service on the second.

Mancs
July 19th, 2013, 13:12
Last night I asked a barman at dj station if they will be closed on Monday. He said he wasn't sure and there is a meeting about it today. I recall a holiday when all the bars shut but soi 4 was open so I am hopeful.

Nirish guy
July 19th, 2013, 17:50
A few bars in Patta also told me they would only be closed ( or not officially serving alcohol) on the Monday as well so like all these damned religious and cultural holidays that the Thais INSIST on having over my travel dates ( how damned inconsiderate of them) I guess it will be a case of just wait and perhaps even better just wait and suck it and see :-)

Jetsam
July 20th, 2013, 00:33
As I arrive in August for my next trip I looked up what Thai holidays there will be for that month.
and yes bang... one holiday that month August 12 the day I arrive , it's the Queens birthday.. is that an important day with everything closed or just a normal day?

Mancs
July 20th, 2013, 11:14
DJ Station announced last night that it will be closed on Monday. Humorously, it first announced the correct date at the bottom of its screens and then put up a full screen announcement that it will be closed on on Tuesday 22nd July. After 5 minutes of showing that it was then replaced with the correct date: i.e Monday 22nd. Does anyone know where is 'open' even though it is 'closed' in the Silom area on Monday night? It's my last night in Thailand for a while and I want to reflect on such dualities with a drink that is suitably modest for Lent.