PDA

View Full Version : Bangkok - Pinnacle Lumpinee hotel

bert160
July 14th, 2013, 01:01
I wills stay quite sole days in the Pinnacle Lumpinee Hotel in Bangkok.
Who has good or bad exeriences in this hotel?
Interesting places to visit in neighbourhood?

gaymandenmark
July 14th, 2013, 01:31
Well I have stayed at this hotel several times, and I have no problems, what so ever.

I would not recommend you to stay in the cheapest and old rooms, because you get so much more value if you upgrade a littlebit.

If you have a friend for the night, sleeping with you, you might have to pay a joiners fee.
But I have always had a double room, and my "friend" checked in and out when he was leaving.

The breakfast included in your room is okay.

There is a small pool on the top, where there is a nice view over Bangkok.

Just across the street you have Vincents Guesthouse and their really nice restaurant, (closed on sunday) and down the street the infamous Malay Coffeshop.
At the same side of the street as Pinnacle, up against Rama IV there is a small informal restaurant that i like very much. Now I don't remember the name.

Lumpini Park is close to the hotel and a nice place to relax and walk during daytime.

If you want to go to Silom Soi 2 or 4 it is very easy and cheap, take a taxi in the street, it will be about 30-40 Baht, or walk 5 minutes to the subway, and you will be in Silom in 2 minutes. An easy way to go to any interesting places in Bangkok. But what are your interests?

In fact the Sathorn area is my favorite place to stay in Bangkok.

Surfcrest
July 14th, 2013, 01:34
Interesting places to visit in neighbourhood?
What are you interested in? There are plenty of things in the Sathorn area and within easy traveling distance.

Surfcrest

Manforallseasons
July 14th, 2013, 01:40
Redone recently, can get discounted rate from Agoda and Jimmy someone must have his cell #, if you plan to bring back company book a double or you're likely to pay a joiners fee, excellent breakfast, around the block from the Ibis is a good reasonably priced restaurant called Tarajah. 45-50 baht taxi to Silom the underground is also quite near by noting of interest in the immediate are except for the working boys that from early evening will stand across from the Ibis by the Malayasia hotel, the best value around a step down from the Pinicalle but perfectly acceptable 880 bhat no joiners fee.

adman5000
July 14th, 2013, 03:31
I like the Chinese restaurant across Soi Ngam Duplee from the hotel. A bit pricey for BKK but I have enjoyed every dish I ever had there. Great Dim Sum, BBQ Chicken is popular, Baked Imperial Crab and many great dishes both Thai and Chinese. A fun place to take several friends and share. Good Service. May need to take a sweater as they keep the dining room COLD.
I have also walked to Babylon from there. Quite a hike.

bert160
July 14th, 2013, 04:38
Thanks for the info.
Surfcrest, I am 5 days in bangkok, so I would like to explore the city, since its my first visit.
On my list: important temples, royal palace, floating market as daytime visits, but also would like to visit a sauna with thin Thai guys around, a hot gogo bar and have some massage experiences (foot, body...other?).

Taxi seems cheap, are there taximeters? Also at night?
Is Bangkok "dangerous" in the evening?

hai336
July 14th, 2013, 04:50
This is a very affordable option in this part of town, and as others have mentioned, close to silom via subway or taxi. I enjoyed dinner at Vincents across the street. The internet in lobby is way too expensive and the staff at times appears indifferent. Otherwise, a suitable option.

Manforallseasons
July 14th, 2013, 08:30
If your lucky enough to be there on the weekend walk to the underground station on Rama IV and take it to the largest outdoor market in the world Chatuchak market selling everything from placemats to lizards.

arsenal
July 14th, 2013, 10:56
If you go to the market then go early in the morning. It's heaving in the afternoon.

christianpfc
July 14th, 2013, 13:02
I have also walked to Babylon from there. Quite a hike.

From Pinnacle to Babylon is a "short stroll" by my standards (less than 10 minutes). I walked to Silom or back several times, about 40 minutes from Malaysia hotel to Soi 4.

Yes Yes No

travelerjim
July 14th, 2013, 13:34
My Thai bf and I stayed there last weekend.

Have stayed before...several times ...several years ago.
But it has been nicely upgraded and remodeled.

Booked the night on Hotels.com
and paid approx. 1,500 THB for Superior Room ....included all taxes/fees.
Had room on 9th floor...corner room as well. For lowest priced room on website of Hotels.com.

Two buffet breakfasts included...eggs cooked to order...
automatic pancake machine unique and good tasting pancakes produced...two at a time in about a minute.
Many other Thai and American styled breakfast offerings on the buffet.

Hotel has FREE WiFi throughout and works well.

Great location...easy to use Skytrain/underground near hotel.. a very short walk to entrance.
Taxis reasonable in Bangkok...some will use meter, some not.
NEVER argue with Taxi Driver.

The Chinese Caf├й on same side of street as hotel...is excellent :-)
Reasonable and my Thai bf says Very Good!

I highly recommend it...great value!

tj

gaymandenmark
July 14th, 2013, 13:36
Thanks for the info.
Surfcrest, I am 5 days in bangkok, so I would like to explore the city, since its my first visit.
On my list: important temples, royal palace, floating market as daytime visits, but also would like to visit a sauna with thin Thai guys around, a hot gogo bar and have some massage experiences (foot, body...other?).

You can easily go to this temples and Royal Palace by changing from the subway to the Skytrain at Silom/Saladaeng. First time it might be a littlebit confusing, but have you done it one time, then......

I have never taken a taxi from this area Pinnacle/Vincents/Malaysia without the meter was on.

As it it you first visit to Bangkok, I am sure we all have some tricks about taxis:
Normally always take a taxi from the street that is driving, do as the thais, open the frontdoor, and say where you want to go and on meter, if the driver agree, he will nod and you wll be on your way.

Another example: If you are in Silom Soi 4 or 2 and want a taxi home (staying in Sathorn) don't take the ones waiting outside the sois. They have been waiting maybe long time for a customer, and will maybe try to rip you off.
Cross Silom Road and take one of the taxis waiting there, open the door, say sawade krap, Pinnacle Hotel/Soi Ngam Duplee, then it would be very strange if you should have any problems.

bert160
July 14th, 2013, 19:06
What's the best/easiest/cheapast option to get from the airport to the hotel?

PattayaBob
July 14th, 2013, 19:31
Book through Jimmy he can save money over internet prices. Below is his email and mobile number...I was just there in June...This price was for 2 people and 2 breakfasts...

Jimmy First <jimmyfirst@hotmail.com>;

IMPORTANT: Please note this booking was made through J.F. Holidays, and WITHIN 24 HOURS AFTER CHECKING-IN AT THE RECEPTION, you must contact me at the Pinnacle in room 1312, BETWEEN 12 NOON AND 3 PM, or call me on my mobile phone, # 081-859-6585, to make payment(CASH ONLY) for the room(s), and NOT TO THE HOTEL. If you don't do this, you will NOT receive the following special room rates :

Daily Rate = 1,340 baht per night

PattayaBob
July 14th, 2013, 19:34
Easiest way is take a taxi from public taxi stand at airport....Tell them Pinnacle Hotel, Rama 4 , Soi Gnam Duplee about 250 baht

Mancs
July 14th, 2013, 21:22
And the cheapest way is to get the slower train from the lower level of the airport to Makkasan station (30 baht or so), exit from there and cross the railway line to Phetchaburi underground station, then get the tube train just a few stops to Lumphini station (maybe 25 baht). The hotel is ten minutes walk from there. If you're too early to check in then this can be a way to pass the time. Though Thai hotels tend to be flexible about early check ins if they have a room. A taxi to there might cost about 280-330 baht, including the highway fees. The driver will ask for the latter so it's good to have some small notes.

bert160
July 14th, 2013, 21:30
to pattayabob

Well I booked via Agoda.com and I payed for a DOUBLE superior room 1600 baht. So there not so much difference...

Because I booked a double room in the Pinnacle, I suppose I don't have to pay a joiner when I take a boy to my room?

But thanks anyway for the good advice.

bao-bao
July 14th, 2013, 21:51
I like the Chinese restaurant across Soi Ngam Duplee from the hotel. A bit pricey for BKK but I have enjoyed every dish I ever had there. Great Dim Sum, BBQ Chicken is popular, Baked Imperial Crab and many great dishes both Thai and Chinese. A fun place to take several friends and share. Good Service.
I can't see it on Google maps today, but right next to the Pinnacle there was a simple - but often crowded - restaurant called Sun-Moon that was simple but good food popular often with my friend. I'm remembering it as being on the same side of the street, but it's been five years. Now it looks like it may be a dental clinic. One trip my friend was sick, not wanting to leave our room, and that's where I'd pick up take-away for him... hot and sour soup, etc.

This is how it looked when I was waiting for his soup/dinner one evening:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z56/khunbaobao/SunMoonCafe2adj_zps636c0226.jpg (http://s192.photobucket.com/user/khunbaobao/media/SunMoonCafe2adj_zps636c0226.jpg.html)

As for the Pinnacle, I haven't ever had a bad experience there, but I like to try new places so I haven't been there in a while. Probably should do a post about it, I guess, but there have only been two requests for one.

Surfcrest
July 14th, 2013, 22:46
Thanks for the info.

Probably the easiest option for you would be to head down to the taxi's (BKK) Level 2, tell them where you are going and just go.
Once you jump off the Expressway for hotels downtown you are likely to pass Soi Ngan Duplee first and because they drive on the left and Ngan Duplee is on the left, you'll be there fairly quickly. Going to Silom by taxi is easy enough, again because you are going that direction in the left side from Ngan Duplee.
Going back to the hotel by taxi from Silom is a completely other matter and so during the day the MRT makes good sense. At night you'll need a metered cab and make sure the meter is in use when you depart.....as some taxi's insist on a (fat) flat fee, given traffic and the turning / detours to get you back.

From Silom or Sala Daeng BTS you can travel to the river (Saphan Taksin) and take the Chao Phraya Express down the river to the temples. No need to stop at the both / desk for a ticket......this is for tourist tour boats with commentary...with specific tourist stops only. For the regular and cheaper boat and stopping at all stops, just get in line and pay once you get on the boat when they come around with the tickets, shaking the coins / change.

The MRT will take you to Chakuchak Market....there is a stop that will take you right inside.
From the Pinnacle, you can take a motor cycle taxi during daylight hours to Babylon...just down Soi Ngan Duplee.
The Pinnacle is where they sit...on the corner of Ngan Duplee and Rama 4.

Yes you can walk to Silom from the Pinnacle, but you'll need to cross Wireless Road to get there.
That's not as easy as it sounds, especially on that side of Rama IV and at night.
When walking down the sidewalks in Bangkok, you'll need to watch out for dog turd at your feet and motorcycles coming up the sidewalk from behind you.

Good Luck with your plans Bert!

Surfcrest

MiniMee
July 14th, 2013, 23:09
Yes you can walk to Silom from the Pinnacle, but you'll need to cross Wireless Road to get there.
That's not as easy as it sounds, especially on that side of Rama IV and at night.

No, I think you've got your wires or your roads crossed there Surfcrest. Wireless Road does not extend to 'that side' of Rama IV. The main road to be crossed is Sathorn, which is easily done using the pedestrian bridges.

Surfcrest
July 14th, 2013, 23:33
Ah yes...sorry it is Sathorn...and Wireless on the other side of Rama IV if you were going to Lumpini Park....another option to the Pinnacle with the pedestrian overpass just up Rama IV from the hotel.

As for the "Infamous" Malay Caf├й at the Malaysia Hotel....I quite like the place and the food is okay and to my liking....especially the Asian breakfast.
Some of the ladies have been working there throughout the 20 years or so I've been coming to Bangkok....and they've always remembered me.
When I've stayed at the Lumpini Park View (Just up from the Pinnacle), it's good to know you can always venture down to the Caf├й at all hours of the day and night and find a cold beer, something to eat and perhaps something to take home ;)

Surfcrest

camperboy
July 15th, 2013, 00:13
I've stayed there in January this year. Also booked through jimmy. Nice guy.

Location wise, though its near to silom by cab, it's still quite far to walk to my standards. A good 15 minutes walk at least. And bangkok heat and dust does not help either.

I agree with the post above that the Chinese restaurant serves good food. Taxis are abundant but sometimes you would still prefer to be in an area where everything is near you.

I stayed there with a friend. I hired a boy to my room while my friend went somewhere else. The reception called and asked me how many people were in my room. I said only two. And he hung up. I guess he was trying to find out if there was additional person in the room but I managed to explain to him that my check in friend is not with me and this current boy will be here for a while only.

Gay friendly hotel. Lots of westerners with their asian/Thai boyfriends. The pool at the top floor offers great scenery! But I didn't managed to swim. Small pool and lots of people! Families with kids! Hahah

Anyhow, if budget is concern, then this hotel is good. If not, you could try staying in the heart of silom?

christianpfc
July 15th, 2013, 01:02
And the cheapest way is to get the slower train from the lower level of the airport to Makkasan station (30 baht or so), exit from there and cross the railway line to Phetchaburi underground station, then get the tube train just a few stops to Lumphini station (maybe 25 baht). The hotel is ten minutes walk from there.

There are Express Line and City Line. The latter stops at all stations, is therefore slower, but cheaper. There is no direct connection from Makkasan to Phetchaburi, it's about 500 meters walk, not recommended if you have luggage.

With local knowledge, you might be able to find a bus connection that is a few baht cheaper.

colmx
July 15th, 2013, 05:24
BF and I stayed in the Pinnacle aver Songkran in one of their "Pinnacle rooms"
The Pinnacle room is meant to be 2 steps up from their Superior room (Deluxe is in between)

Paid тВм52 for the night around 2300B at the exchange rate at the time...
In the meantime my travelling companion stayed in a superior room @32 per night... I could see no difference between the 2 room types!

BF and I had stayed in the Pinnacle many times in the distant past and we always remembered the rooms being a lot bigger than the rooms myself and my friend got... Recently we have either stayed at the Ibis Sathorn or the Rose... but both were sold out at songkran

Given the choice we would definately stay in the Rose hotel next time around

PattayaBob
July 15th, 2013, 13:11
To Bert160
As long as you book a double there is no problem taking guest back at night. They must leave ID at reception.

naklua
July 15th, 2013, 23:26
To Bert160
As long as you book a double there is no problem taking guest back at night. They must leave ID at reception.

But note: in case you do a 3some, they might try to charge you for the 2nd boy, although having booked a double room. Happened to me once, cost me 10-15 mins of argument with the stubborn night clerk who even phoned his "manager" (I had to talk to him, too). Wanted to charge 500 Baht, got nothing in the end and lost a repeat customer of 10+ years.

Now staying in the lower Sukhumvit area near the ladies bars. No hassle whatsoever bringing back anybody to the room. For similar room same price range as Pinnacle (even when booking through Jimmy - BTW a nice but quite slowly operating guy, paying your bill can be quite time consuming). 50 Baht taxi to Silom/Suriwong.

adman5000
July 16th, 2013, 07:11
Bao-Bao- I have been to the restaurant for which you posted pics. I agree. It was simple and good and you could almost watch them make the food in the back tiny kitchen area. It was just a few doors away on the SAME side of the street.
The restaurant I was referring to was ACROSS from the Pinnacle and also had a driveway gate entrance off Rama 4 next to the bank on the corner. They have a parking lot and multiple floors. It was a bit upscale versus the one you refer to. I think it was call Chanphen Chinese Restaurant. Very good food.

bao-bao
July 16th, 2013, 09:28
The restaurant I was referring to was ACROSS from the Pinnacle and also had a driveway gate entrance off Rama 4 next to the bank on the corner. They have a parking lot and multiple floors. It was a bit upscale versus the one you refer to. I think it was call Chanphen Chinese Restaurant. Very good food.
I figured I had that one wrong, but I couldn't remember for sure. Thank you for the correction - I'll take a look next time I'm in the area!

donald1
July 16th, 2013, 16:41
I have stayed at the P.L. many times and usually get a double reservation.
Besides not being hassled for a joiner; if he should spend the night cuddling
you will get a second coupon for your trick to join you for breakfast.
Also on occasion if I am lounging at the
pool in the afternoon, I use the extra breakfast coupon for their buffet lunch
(+100$b. ) Quite a good deal.

Mancs
July 16th, 2013, 21:31
And I'm in the Pinnacle now, since many of you like it. I can see the results of the renovation, though I have never stayed before. It has everything I need at a good price for the cheapest room-1360 baht on Booking.com. The only thing missing is a water hose by the toilet-now I find it odd when there isn't one in Thailand. Even the bus from Phitsanulok today had a water hose in the loo. All the shops and services on Rama IV are extremely handy. Lumpini MRT is a short walk.