PDA

View Full Version : New Trip to BKK! Q: How to fend off Mamasans?

camperboy
July 12th, 2013, 16:59
Hi guys! How has it been! Heheh

Before I bore you with what I intend to do a trip report I did earlier this year, I would like to know how do you guys politely tell the mamasan to go away and you will call him when the need arises. Giving money in the beginning the way to go? :p

Anyway I'll be going to BKK in two weeks time! Oh goodie!!! I cannot wait! Prices for Tawan has increased right? There goes my nightly trip there! Hahah

Oh this will be my third trip to BKK this year. My second trip, I decided to venture to another gogo bar. After a few hops into several ones, my friend and I decided to stay on Hotmale. Wow wow! Amazing place. Really love the high elevated seats and the boys there are actually quite handsome. Reminded me of those tanned dragonboater guys back home. Heheh. But I would assume they are straight mainly?

It was there I got a very pushy mamasan. I may not know the Thai language, but I gathered he was telling my boy to drink more to get me drunk? I can only guess. Thank god beer won't make me drunk. Well at least not 3 bottles.

However, unlike Tawan, the experience or impression I gathered is all about money? From the mamasan, to the waiter to the performers, all were like hoping to get some money. I love Tawan and I never gotten a pushy wait staff before.

Well, I would definitely stop by hotmale again. Any other bars in the area almost similar like Hotmale? I think they got good selections of boys.

Anyway I'll give a trip report again after my trip here heheh. And hopefully I can secretly snap some photos.

Oh yah, how much for Tawan now? Is this correct? Entry 350b, off fees 500b, short time 2000b? Can I pay 2500b for overnight? Hehe

Miss ya guys! :occasion7:

PS: forgive the grammar errors. Typing on an iPhone!

Marsilius
July 12th, 2013, 18:54
Entry fee to just get into Tawan? When did that come in?

christianpfc
July 12th, 2013, 19:08
I never tipped mamasans. My strategy is "no, thank you", it works most of the time. Unless they block the view on the boys, I don't pay much attention to them, barely above completely ignoring them, just as much as it necessary not to appear impolite (unfortunately they don't return the favor - not being impolite).

I think he means drink price in Tawan is 350 Baht. There is a sign outside, I remember the 350 Baht, but don't remember if it says drink or entry.

latintopxxx
July 12th, 2013, 20:13
good luck with snapping photos...its a definite no no in all gogo bars...

newalaan2
July 12th, 2013, 21:21
I never tipped mamasans. My strategy is "no, thank you", it works most of the time. Unless they block the view on the boys, I don't pay much attention to them, barely above completely ignoring them, just as much as it necessary not to appear impolite (unfortunately they don't return the favor - not being impolite).
Me too! never tip mamasans....that's something you really don't want to start to encourage, all that will happen is that they will hassle you even more, anyway if you off a guy the chances are he'll worm his way into getting a cut from the poor boy, the first reply to a mamasan who approaches me is polite, the second I can deliberately appear to be impolite depending on the way he addresses me.

Tips to waiters have to be deserved for service or something. One time a waiter gave me a tip that Sek Loso was in town the first night I arrived and I hadn't had time to check out the local listings, this was at 11.30pm in Nice Boys (I've known the waiter for a long time) by 12.15am I was in Tam Nan Chon enjoying a Loso Concert...now that tip deserved and got a tip in return. Tips to boys can be because of anything from nice interaction/fun/joking, making an effort dancing or just looking particularly good on the evening I'm there. Mamasans never.

I would like to know how do you guys politely tell the mamasan to go away and you will call him when the need arises. Giving money in the beginning the way to go? I decided to stay on Hotmale. Wow wow! Amazing place. But I would assume they are straight mainly? It was there I got a very pushy mamasan. Thank god beer won't make me drunk. Well at least not 3 bottles.
Giving money will only encourage him to stick around or other mamasans to try their luck. Politely just say what is necessary, like "I don't need any help thank you, if I need your help I will call on you...ok thanks". or "I just want to enjoy my drink and watch the boys, if I need help I will ask you...ok thank you" or more briskly as I have used....."how can I choose a boy if i'm wasting time talking to you! If I need help I'll ask for it, ok thanks!"...this is my normal line if they don't heed the first one.

This only happens when they actually approach me, otherwise I never ask for help or make eye or spoken contact with any mamasans at any time, unless as in christianpfc's case they actually get in my way, then I just tell them straight, politely but firmly if needed. If I need to know something I might ask the waiter, or better still the boy himself if it concerns him. If you drank 3 bottles of beer in one visit...as far as staff are concerned that's job done, Bt700-900 from one punter is well above average.

There a few mamasans in Holtmale from the old Classic Boys set up and are adept at leeching, firmness and no shyness on your part is needed, just make sure anything, including firmness is executed with a 'smile'.

camperboy
July 13th, 2013, 07:19
Hello!

Yes, I was referring to the drinks charges. Sorry for the confusion. :blackeye:

I do agree with just a firm no and politely telling them that I will call them when I need to. However, the mamasan seemed very persistent. VERY VERY persistent even after rounds of no and sometimes ignoring him outright. My friend could not take it and just bought more drinks to shut him up. I dont know. I guess the impression I get from Hotmale is to have lots of spare change to and be ready to give.

Oh yeah, is it rainy season in Bangkok? My friend went to Phuket couple of weeks back and he told me it was raining everyday!

adman5000
July 13th, 2013, 07:36
My attitude is simple. I take care of those that take care of me, whether captain, mammasan, whatever. Most of those I tip I have known for a long time. They do not bother, but rather help me. If I am looking for a certain boy, they find them. If the boy is not there yet, they may call him and update me. They also provide some other help that is very useful.
I ignore those that ask for a tip without having done anything or give them an embarrassingly small amount. If the mammasan is persistent and continues to bother me, I may either not return to that bar, or I strike up a conversation with a different mammasan and get to know them so the other one stays away. I find very few that choose not to take a hint when I don't want to be bothered.

Krazy4thai
July 13th, 2013, 18:14
Mamasans; For me an unwanted distraction, very rarely of much use and in most cases extremely annoying. I done want or desire any info on my potential "off" than I can discover for myself. In my experience most mamsans assume that I desire a big cock, (which is correct coincidentally) and will hurriedly present a parade of boys with the promise that they all have the big cock I desire. Also these boys come with the assurance they will fulfill all my wants for the encounter, often without establishing what I want.
One mamsan in particular assured me that every boy would happily "samoke" me, not the case as I knew from previous visits.
So most things a mamsan proffers by way of match-making is taken by me with a grain of salt. If I cant establish for myself what a boy is willing to perform, I will move on to contestant number 2.
I made the mistake when fairly new to the Thailand experience of allowing a mamsan to act as an interpreter. What the boy was told I was saying I will never know and I found out later nearly everything she conveyed as his words were her words not his, which was established later in the evening when we had a drink at a different bar with broken English and "sex sign language." he obviously believed I didn't want what I actually did want. I then paid him an appropriate amount for a short time for the time we had spent chatting/drinking etc and we went our separate ways, him probably contented with a ST payment for not having to perform any real task to get it and me back on the prowl.
In short I see very little need for these annoying persons and am not so polite when relieving myself of their unwanted attentions, maulings and advice. I do not like my predilection for "sizable meat" blurted out for all and sundry, when a quick grope of a potential off will let me discover for myself if he fits the bill.
I use the term "she" as a euphemism as all the mamsans I have come across have been male (of sorts) or katoey.

adman5000
July 14th, 2013, 04:03
I agree that most of them are useless and to be avoided.
But a know a couple that are genuinely helpful. I have a few that I have gotten to know over the years that know what body and personality types I like and get along with. They tell me about the new ones that might qualify, or if someone is not on stage or out front, they will go seek them out and bring them near me just for brief introduction. I have had a few that know my favorites and know their current number and will either call them or give me their new number. I find that these few good ones make my time more productive and also do some other things for me that most customers don't get. So I think if you find a good one that is helpful, it is worthwhile to take good care of them.