PDA

View Full Version : A few notes from June Thailand visit

newalaan2
July 9th, 2013, 04:39
Just a few updates and notes from my trip in June. I realise a lot of the content, especially regarding accommodation and venue reports repeat previous trip reports but from the standpoint of info for potential visitors planning trips it's good to know if accommodations are being consistently well kept or going downhill compared to previous trips. So these mainly aimed at newbie readers and poss those planning a trip in the near future.

Accommodation-
First stayed 3 nights in Pattaya at Baan Dok Mai to meet up with a long time thai friend to arrange collection of his pickup and catch up with some musician friends around Pattaya. Again not let down with room and service here. Had one of the large top floor rooms, huge bed, excellent sound system attached to TV/DVD player, tea/coffee making facilities, plenty of wardrobe space, in-room safe, shampoo/shower gel also supplied. Warwick the owner as usual full of very helpful local info and excellent company. Location absolutely ideal all you could need for a holiday in close proximity. Reasonably priced eaterie attached to Baan Dok Mai. Always highly recommended with large rooms at Bt850....a bargain.

Later in my trip I stayed at Mosaik again...had a Studio Prestige and again still immaculately presented with great shower and bathroom, kitchen area with hob, microwave and cooking utensils. These studios are large rooms, big TV and DVD, dining table for two, beautifully decorated with balcony. Electric and water for 9 nights was Bt1200 on top of the Bt6300 rental, so Bt7500 all-in for 9 nights.

In Bkk stayed a few nights at Baan Saladaeng, which has remained the same for the last couple of years since I last stayed, probably could do with a 'freshen up' it advertises itself as a Boutique Guesthouse, but all that means is that the rooms are individually themed. I stayed in a higher floor 'suite'...read...large room, which has a large balcony with outdoor corner bath, nice greenery and seating, it's a nice setting given it's right in the centre near silom. The room has floor to ceiling windows/patio doors which open out to the balcony. Flat screen TV with cable channels, (not that I watch much tv..only the music channels for background music) tea/coffee making facilities/kettle, good powerful shower, wardrobe space and in-room safe. nice room lighting and free wifi and breakfast. Rooms were on 'special' for June/july with suites all reduced from Bt2300 to Bt1699. I would say ok for Bt1699 in silom close to everything. No lift but staff very helpful and saw to luggage. Had some young Korean girls staying at the same time with whom we got on very well, very chatty...took to my bf. Saw them later in Soi4. Not sure if they were after male company or just gay curious.

For my last couple of nights in Bkk stayed at Tarntawan as usual, got upgraded to suriwong room and the changes I noted last visit of large flat screen TV/DVD and in-room safe makes things even more comfortable there. I had a mini laptop with me so free wifi handy. but didn't need to use their free office/computer facilities. Usual very high level of service and welcoming staff. Taxi to airport from Tarntawan took 35 minutes leaving at 9am on a weekday.

In between stayed at my bf's Issan village/town home and at various Thai hotels/resorts around Issan, bkk outskirts. Only had to pay traffic police once...Bt100, reduced from the original request for Bt200 because I came from the land of 'scot whisky'! Around Korat we noticed about 10 police set ups on our journeys to and from Issan. About 4 were 'official' stops the rest cash donation stops. I was also stopped at one of the official ones, but he waved me on after noticing I was 'foreigner'.

Have already posted on Pattaya clubs/late night places......I'll see about posting some updates on BT/Sunee/Jomtien bars if time allows.

Smiles
July 9th, 2013, 12:29
"Around Korat we noticed about 10 police set ups on our journeys to and from Issan. About 4 were 'official' stops the rest cash donation stops. I was also stopped at one of the official ones, but he waved me on after noticing I was 'foreigner'."
Yes, they don't call Khorat the 'Gateway to Isaan' for nothing.
A very large proportion of traffic heading in and out of all parts of Isaan funnel eventually through the highway system at Khorat ... and it's difficult to avoid the BiB: 'Gateway to Payday' is more like it. I've never ever not seen the traffic cops setting up their rolling toll booths on dozens of trips passing by or through Khorat. It's just a throw of the dice whether they stop you or not ... being a farang in the passenger seat sometimes seems to work (at least I think it is that), but not every time by any means. Sometimes Pot will be pulled over by a cop from Surin (his home province) and the two will get along famously and we'll be sent merrily on our way, gratis.

We often take the more southern route to Surin these days ... through Chachoengsao, Sa Kaeo, and the road which runs somewhat parallel and closer to the Cambodian border. The highway is smaller, less traveled and in the autumn months the countryside in Sa Kaeo and Buriram is very beautiful: the 'Real Thailand' if I may use that description without fear of ridicule.

ceejay
July 10th, 2013, 13:59
It's just a throw of the dice whether they stop you or not ... being a farang in the passenger seat sometimes seems to work (at least I think it is that)
I think it is that but why, I don't know. My boyfriend carries me around Chiang Mai on the back of his motosi. In CM, there are frequent checkpoints where the police stop motosis specifically, to check documents etc. There is, for example, often one where the Huay Kaew road joins the moat. A couple of times he's been waved over to the side of the road to join the queue of motosi riders waiting to be processed and, when the officer there has seen my farang face peeping out from under my helmet, he has more often than not (it doesn't happen every time) waved us on through. I've no idea why the presence of a farang should deter them from carrying out a document check on a Thai driver, but there you are.

newalaan2
July 15th, 2013, 16:33
We often take the more southern route to Surin these days ... through Chachoengsao, Sa Kaeo, and the road which runs somewhat parallel and closer to the Cambodian border. The highway is smaller, less traveled and in the autumn months the countryside in Sa Kaeo and Buriram is very beautiful: the 'Real Thailand' if I may use that description without fear of ridicule.
Yes we've gone this way a couple times in the opposite direction, once to visit friends in Buriram and on to some distant family members in Sa Kaeo and check out Rong Kluea Market, the other was the most direct route from Khon Kaen to a place called Bowin/Bovin not far outside Pattaya for a concert we were particularly keen to attend rather than go the Bkk route. Didn't much like the 317/314? highway south of Sa Kaeo on the last stretch as it was getting dark and some of it is not dual carriageway and the driving was a bit hairy.

I think it is that but why, I don't know. My boyfriend carries me around Chiang Mai on the back of his motosi. In CM, there are frequent checkpoints where the police stop motosis specifically, when the officer there has seen my farang face peeping out from under my helmet, he has more often than not (it doesn't happen every time) waved us on through. I've no idea why the presence of a farang should deter them from carrying out a document check on a Thai driver, but there you are.
It's just a throw of the dice whether they stop you or not ... being a farang in the passenger seat sometimes seems to work (at least I think it is that)
When I first started driving in Thailand I was fairly certain that an obvious farang face meant a real cash hit for Traffic Police....you know Bt3-400 hit! so I always had the viser down, sun glasses and slumped down in my seat 'til we got past the road check. However with this guise I was flagged to one side on one of our trips, passed on to another cop, I put up the visor, off the shades, sat upright and down the window...and the first words from the cop was....Ohh!....a farang! he aksed bf if 'the farang' could talk/understand Thai...bf said 'a little' ohh pbai pbai pbai...go, go ,go He either couldn't be bothered with the hassle of a farang or he maybe didn't talk English so well and so didn't want to engage me....whatever off we went without handing over anything.

From then on I decided to make it clear a farang was driving, this seemed to result in fewer stops, virtually no stops where there was a slow line and cops selecting as you crawled past....always waved on or ignored. The only times I am stopped nowadays is by the arm waving nutter cops standing on the highway with one car and one mate at the roadside, and that often/normally results in a donation. Max I pay is Bt100, that's all I keep in the glove compartment, always accepted for a quick departure. So I do think, that in the drivers seat anyway, being a farang does put off police from stopping you.

In the glovebox I have my passport in a plastic cover, on one side in the cover I have my UK drivers license (always accepted), the other a laminated business card I got from a Government official, Vice Chairman of Board Of Trade Thailand to be exact, I met on a Businsess Class flight from Amsterdam to Bkk a few years ago. He sat next to me and was very pleasant chatting for quite a while about business in Thailand. He said if I ever get in any bother from police or officials just show them this card and say I wish to call him. On one side of the card are all the details in English, on the other Thai. If it looks like any situation could be problematic or long lasting, I always make sure the card is on top when producing my passport. But so far I cant gauge if it has had any effect as I've never actually landed in any serious problems with police.