PDA

View Full Version : Dress code ?

bert160
July 7th, 2013, 22:56
I will visit Thailand in August, so that's the rainy season!
Is there any particular dress code when visiting places like temples....

Are shorts, bermudas ok? What about dress code when visiting gogo bars in the evening?

billy2bs
July 7th, 2013, 23:41
NO, I don't wear dresses. Never really did. Regular guy clothes do it for me.

francois
July 7th, 2013, 23:50
Shoes/sandals/flip flops are not permitted in the Wats.

gaymandenmark
July 8th, 2013, 00:03

But feets are

christianpfc
July 8th, 2013, 00:17
Apart from the Royal Palace, I never had problems with entering Wats in shorts (i.e. short trousers, not swimmwear!)

I remember in Chanthaburi Cathedral there was a sign with do and don't in front of the cathedral, including "do not wear short trousers" but nobody cared. But when someone picked up a mobile phone call, an attendant told that person to stop using the phone.

gaymandenmark
July 8th, 2013, 00:55
Due to respect I would say, nothing less than city shorts and a nice clean T-shirt, in the Wats.

No g-strings, thongs or jockstraps, not even in the gogo bars. :laughing3:

And please remember, no socks in your sandals, it is just bad taste, and so oldfashioned, all around the World. :sign5:

bert160
July 8th, 2013, 01:06
Got the point...awful taste socks in sandals!
But no problem to enter a gogo bar in shorts I suppose?

Marsilius
July 8th, 2013, 01:15
Shorts in go-go bars facilitate easier access for the boys, if that's your thing...

jinks
July 8th, 2013, 02:40
But feets are

Blatant Discrimination

adman5000
July 8th, 2013, 03:17
Bert160 said: awful taste socks in sandals!

So I guess you're saying I went to all that work to add a personalized avatar for nothing huh? I thought my fashionable outfit would fit in perfectly in Pattaya.

I try to dress in similar clothes(not the same) everyday. It saves on luggage and laundry. I used to bring all kinds of dress clothes and never used them. So now I dress more like a slob and it seems to keep the moneyboys and beggars away.

thaiguest
July 8th, 2013, 04:07
You can arrive at the Wat in roller skates if you want but you must leave them outside. Likewise with thai homes and most other places. You see the Thais have a dislike for the western practice of bringing dog pooh, cat pooh, bird pooh, rotting food scraps and general shoe borne dirt into their wats and homes. Strange people the Thais, when will they ever learn?

RichLB
July 8th, 2013, 08:51
The advice given above is different from what I have been told and observed. While, as a farang, you can wear shorts in a Wat as Thais will believe you don't know any better. But, long pants are the proper choice as a sign of respect. As to gogo bars, as long as you look nice and groomed anything is acceptable.

Nirish guy
July 8th, 2013, 17:57
As to gogo bars, as long as you look nice and groomed anything is acceptable.

Well I wish someone would tell SOME of their customers as I know many of us are on holiday and yes it's humid and we get hot and sweaty etc but seriously some of the ways that people turn themselves out to go out of a night is shocking, dirty tee shirts with loads of food stains down them ( and i dont mean they spilt something at dinner whilst out but more what appeared to be several days worth of built up stains) with their baggy shorts half falling off them, sandals with aforementioned (dirty) socks ( which don't of course make any attempt to go with anything else they have on and are usually knee length rather than even short trainer socks.

I mean COME on, just what happened in these people's lives where they forget to care even about the most basic modicum of dress sense or caring for ones personal appearance, I'm thinking of getting on to the gay union to get their membership cards revoked if they keep up this slovenly behaviour ! :-)

And I should add that the above mini rant was highlighted as only last night I actually had to move seats in a certain go go bar as the above styled ( smelly) person was placed sat right next to me (against my wishes needless to say) - so if you're reading this - away home and have a wash, you were "stinkin" !

Oh also on an interesting / strange note in the same bar a male and female couple came in to watch the show - she was a Muslim lady, complete with hijab ! and he was ( I'm guessing) a Russian macho body builder type and they both sat and paid zero attention to the show ( for well over 20 minutes) and both had the look of "we'll he/she wanted to come in and I'm having to bare this disgusting spectacle" BUT obviously ONE of them must have suggested going in to the other ! There is as they say "nowt as queer as folk" :-)

bert160
July 8th, 2013, 18:46
It will be my first visit to Thailand and the gay scene. Here in Europe gay men are rather the opposite: very well dressed, nice, clean...so I am really surprised to hear about "stinking" customers in gogo bars. It sounds awful and the boys are to complain!
It's a disgrace.

Nirish guy
July 8th, 2013, 19:09
Aye whatever you say "bert"