PDA

View Full Version : Western Union

Oliver
July 1st, 2013, 14:54
Does anyone know the two codes required to send money via Western Union to an account in the Pattaya branch of the Bangkok Bank, as required by the on-line form?
And yes, I am aware that there are cheaper alternatives.

netrix
July 1st, 2013, 23:49
Does anyone know the two codes required to send money via Western Union to an account in the Pattaya branch of the Bangkok Bank, as required by the on-line form?
And yes, I am aware that there are cheaper alternatives.

What online form are you referring to?
There are half a dozen Bangkok Bank branches in Pattaya.
Why don't you call Bangkok Bank or Western Union?

scottish-guy
July 2nd, 2013, 01:14
I have had occasion to call Western Union on maybe 3 occasions.

Each time they have been almost unintelligible and totally unhelpful.

I only ever use their online transfers in a dire emergency and even then I normally have problems which they attribute to my bank, which my bank then refutes, and the vicious circle of payment failure goes on till I give up completely and go in person to a Western Union agent (at greatly increased cost).

Completely shite service IMHO.

adman5000
July 2nd, 2013, 03:48
Are you talking the SWIFT code? If so, the overall code is BKKBTHBK for my account and I assume it is the same for everywhere in Thailand and your account number/account book may have a branch code.

Sorry, I don't know what the online form asks for. The hardcopy form just asks for SWIFT and account number.

I rarely use WU anymore for emergency sends and find MONEYGRAM easier, more convenient, and better service from the USA.

Prior to visiting, I always WIRE money to my account through my bank as it is cheaper and more dependable IMO.

Smiles
July 2nd, 2013, 04:04
" ... I always WIRE money to my account through my bank as it is cheaper and more dependable IMO ... "
Absolutely.
I know Oliver does not want this particular information, but for others it's the best way: wired straight from your own bank (they will provide you with a Correspondent Bank code) into either you own Thai bank account or a boy friend's bank account as long as you have the account's details. It's much cheaper than WU and over 7 years of using this method, never have had a problem.

Oliver
July 2nd, 2013, 14:56
Thank you for the responses but it is little more complicated.

Firstly, the charges incurred by sending money via my bank are considerably higher than via W.U. -or at least they were when I last checked. There is a Bangkok Bank office here in London; their offer was more expensive, too. But I'll look again.

Secondly, I have made five different attempts (emails and telephone calls) to persuade Bangkok Bank- both here and in Thailand- to provide me with the W.U. codes; to no avail. I suspect that it doesn't wish to co-operate.

Thirdly, the W.U on-line form requires codes different to the Swift; the form stipulates four and three letter codes. The Swift doesn't fit.

Brad the Impala
July 3rd, 2013, 20:52
Always sent bank account to bank account, charge around ┬г25 to ┬г30, deposited in Thailand within a week. One phone call to bank in the UK and done.

Oliver
July 3rd, 2013, 21:17
And that's why I use Western Union; much cheaper, unless you are sending a large sum (of the top of my head, more than ┬г200), and the recipient can collect the money in minutes.
If, as my first post suggests, you use the W. U.three-day facility to a Thailand bank, the charge is lower still.

anonone
July 3rd, 2013, 22:55
Oliver - Make sure you are also taking into account the exchange rate. WU uses rates well below the market exchange as a further way to make money...this is on top of the transfer fee.

WU may be the best option for you, just be aware of the total costs...