PDA

View Full Version : Colonial bar = food available

witchhunt
June 29th, 2013, 11:56
I am pleased that Colonial have started doing the meals several nights a week. Maybe we might get back the old friday night fish and chips plus wine night. Hope so really enjoyed it.
There are suggestions that the old buffet might be restarted again .That could be interesting, but I am not sure what is left of the former kitchen.

witchhunt
June 30th, 2013, 18:49
Was questioned why I asked about the Colonial fish and chips nights. Simply I have some friends that can no longer use the "song taew "and can [ just] walk to Sunee. Yes there are better places to eat fish and chips but it was a good way of meeting some old friends. Nice and informal for a good chat in comfortable chairs.

In addition there used to be better than usual standard of wines and Friday was two glasses for price of one. That fitted in with my friends budgets.

Also there were a few expat locals that did not do the bars at Sunee or Boyztown ,that called in.

I notice that some big spenders talk a lot about and promote the more expensive places, this was and is not an option.

corky
July 1st, 2013, 19:09
I don't want to appear heartless but it seems to me that your friends would be better off back in their own country in a care home.
Not being able to use a song taew and only just being able to wander to the local bar ... it's only a matter of time until they are housebound and then they will be a burden on everyone. Also, looking for the cheapest food and 2 for 1 deals on drinks ... it seems they will be unable to afford to look after themselves in case of sickness - another call on 'friends'.
If you are genuine in your friendship for these souls then give them some sound advice - that they have reached the point when they should consider an alternative 'end of life' experience.

Manforallseasons
July 1st, 2013, 21:41
:hello2:

paulg
July 2nd, 2013, 10:46
Obviously you are the one in the white hat Is that your boyfriend?

Manforallseasons
July 2nd, 2013, 11:11
Obviously you are the one in the white hat Is that your boyfriend?

Yes, isn't he lovely. :love4:

thaiguest
July 2nd, 2013, 19:43
I don't want to appear heartless but it seems to me that your friends would be better off back in their own country in a care home.
Not being able to use a song taew and only just being able to wander to the local bar ... it's only a matter of time until they are housebound and then they will be a burden on everyone. Also, looking for the cheapest food and 2 for 1 deals on drinks ... it seems they will be unable to afford to look after themselves in case of sickness - another call on 'friends'.
If you are genuine in your friendship for these souls then give them some sound advice - that they have reached the point when they should consider an alternative 'end of life' experience.

A bit harsh given that so many of us suffer (even the newly born babe) from the incurable disease "getting-older-itis" The Colonial is a fine and respectable place serving the finest of olde english fare including fish, chips and not forgetting MUSHY peas. Neither is it the only tavern in the town where folk are wont to seek a 'two for the price of one" beverage.

thaiguest
July 2nd, 2013, 20:28
:hello2:
Yes we're all heading for the end even the bawling wain but we're doing it like we don't fear aught.
The geriapats shuffling towards the Colonial Bar for sausages and mash are as much exponents of human grit as any on the slopes of Everest. " I'm breathing...are you breathing too? It's nice isn't it?" (Robert Bolt, Man for all Seasons.)

scottish-guy
July 2nd, 2013, 22:18
Shall we all dress up in green tights and we can all pretend to be in Merrie England?

[youtube:99qtxqzw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtmbZnXSQ7k[/youtube:99qtxqzw]

thaiguest
July 3rd, 2013, 01:46
Shall we all dress up in green tights and we can all pretend to be in Merrie England?

[youtube:ibobdc76]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtmbZnXSQ7k[/youtube:ibobdc76]
We could do but did the perfidious english not steal the green tights from the Irish like they stole the kilt from the scots. .. the royal family are forever wearing kilts. No leprechaun is dressed without the green tights or so my irish grandmother would have us believe.

joe552
July 3rd, 2013, 02:17
Just to be clear, I do NOT appear in the above video, and I have never worn green tights (they don't go with my eyes, dont'cha ya know)

Nabaat
July 3rd, 2013, 04:36
Chip works in soi 13. Fish...hand down the front of the past owner of BBB an there u have it (-:

Brad the Impala
July 3rd, 2013, 06:04
Chip works in soi 13. Fish...hand down the front of the past owner of BBB an there u have it (-:

That is as curious a post as I can recall reading here for a while.

newalaan2
July 3rd, 2013, 16:13
I am pleased that Colonial have started doing the meals several nights a week
I did note on my most recent visit Colonial was busy every night, it does have a strong regular customer base, having regular meal nights can only strengthen this, bars making an effort deserve a good return. Something I did not previously realise is that they also have guesthouse rooms above the bar.

thaiguest
July 3rd, 2013, 20:47
I am pleased that Colonial have started doing the meals several nights a week. Maybe we might get back the old friday night fish and chips plus wine night. Hope so really enjoyed it.
There are suggestions that the old buffet might be restarted again .That could be interesting, but I am not sure what is left of the former kitchen.
This tavern be all things to all men -gay or sort of, irish/welsh serving english food, 'mature' clientel sometimes with their georgeous concubines helping them up the steps, sportsbar ....the list goes on.
Their cottage pies could just have been taken from a Cotswold oven, the sausages are smothered in thick DARK-BROWN SAUCE (many of the clientel have testified to a surge in erectile function as early as one hour after consumption), the roasted chickens are plump fowls not like the yellow, scrawny creatures in the markets, and of course the peas are MUSHY. YUM, YUM. I must hurry soon anon.

witchhunt
July 5th, 2013, 13:02

Corky you jump to conclusions and you are not correct. First they own their one bedroom condo. Their pensions total 146,000 per month. Their dining budget of 50,000 between two enables them to walk to the area around Tuk Com for most of their meals ., and afford tips. Colonial is an extra 500m away both ways. A long way short of full time nursing.

One has arthritis and the other a bad knee which might lead to surgery at some stage in the future. The walk does them good and they enjoy it.I have enjoyed meals with them at Bordeaux and hope to continue to do so in the future. They do travel overseas buying seats at the back and upgrading with FF points.

The fish and chip nights, they did tend to consume more wine than do do at other places and they meet others they do not see often

Not being able to use a song taew might seem to you as the end of the world, thank god it is not the same to all.

jinks
July 5th, 2013, 22:12
BACK ON TRACK

Tuesday July 9th is Fish & chips with mushy peas or baked beans & bread & butter with jam sponge & custard for desert all for 170 baht.

This is very popular so to avoid disappointment please call in and leave the staff a note with your name and how people needing to book this will guarantee your meal.

You can also book by Email at: ajph02111958@hotmail.co.uk

rincondog
July 6th, 2013, 06:28
Eating greasy fish and chips on a regular basis will do more harm than good, to shorten ones life.

lonelywombat
July 6th, 2013, 07:24
I thought they had a choice of grilled or fried fish. Even so a weekly meal is not the worlds end.

What difference does it make having fish and chips here or anywhere else?

Great news that Colonial is getting its act back together again.

Nirish guy
July 6th, 2013, 15:43
Just to be clear, I do NOT appear in the above video and I have never worn green tights)

I was about to add my denial of same but on reflection I have to admit I HAVE actually worn green rights before - but only when dressed as Kermit the Frog ! God the things some people like as role play never ceases to amaze me ! ( and that before anyone comments was a joke as it was for in good clean innocent fun for a school play I seem to recall - OR WAS IT !! Lol )

scottish-guy
July 6th, 2013, 16:07
You played Kermit in school play?

I'd no idea the Muppets had been around that long :laughing3:

thaiguest
July 6th, 2013, 19:36
I thought they had a choice of grilled or fried fish. Even so a weekly meal is not the worlds end.

What difference does it make having fish and chips here or anywhere else?

Great news that Colonial is getting its act back together again.

GRILLED FISH! Do you think the Colonial is some sort of a pansy french place like you get around Tuk Com? Next thing you'll be wanting Vol-au-vents or cock-au-garcon.
Fish and Chips is BATTEREDFISHANDCHIPSWITHMUSHYPEASFULLSTOP.
O God!.. is nothing sacred anymore?

lonelywombat
July 8th, 2013, 13:15
I am probably wrong as to what is currently on serve at Colonial. But if they have a stove to cook both fish and the chips, surely they have a hot plate, that not only will keep some food hot, but can also used for grilling fish. Mushy peas and beans have to be kept hot.

This is part of the email that went out, so they obviously have a hot plate
Saturday & Sunday nights we have from 6 pm until 1am the following all cooked fresh to order....
Bacon Rolls.................... 60 Baht
Bacon and egg rolls...........70 Baht
Hot dog & fried onions.......70 Baht
Portion of chips...............40 Baht
3 scoops ice cream...........30 Baht

http://www.thecolonialpattaya.com

It is not the huge drama that thaiguest implies.

However suggestions they might be planning to partially reinstate the old buffet makes me shudder. The old "bain marie" they used , often the candles burnt out and the food already cooked, laid on the table without heat. Open doors flies flying in and settling onto the previously cooked meals, is asking for trouble.

I know . I and others have had this problem there and would never eat at their buffet again.

Manforallseasons
July 8th, 2013, 20:46
BACK ON TRACK

Tuesday July 9th is Fish & chips with mushy peas or baked beans & bread & butter with jam sponge & custard for desert all for 170 baht.

There is a GOD :8(

joe552
July 8th, 2013, 21:35
There is a COD!

scottish-guy
July 9th, 2013, 03:35
All this talk about fish has given me a haddock.

:occasion9:

Smiles
July 9th, 2013, 03:54
" ... Their cottage pies could just have been taken from a Cotswold oven, the sausages are smothered in thick DARK-BROWN SAUCE (many of the clientel have testified to a surge in erectile function as early as one hour after consumption), the roasted chickens are plump fowls not like the yellow, scrawny creatures in the markets, and of course the peas are MUSHY. YUM, YUM. I must hurry soon anon ... "
Odd how different folks (different strokes) perceive the descriptions of food: Thaiguest is salivating . . . meanwhile I am near vomiting. Whereas some obviously visit a variation of the Holy Grail quest when a perfectly-done steak is presented at table . . . I see nothing but a platter of cholesterol and fat-on-the-side. The shiny grease of fish deep fried in batter is a Monet painting to many . . . my innards curse the day that that poor fish must swim around in that boiling sticky muck rather than end it's life on a grid-over-fire: I'm certain St Joan would have agreed. And 'mushy peas' for fuck sake! The appellation alone is a good enough reason to just go ahead and nuke the Brits.

And I'm not even a veggie!

newalaan2
July 9th, 2013, 05:03
Odd how different folks (different strokes) perceive the descriptions of food: Thaiguest is salivating . . . meanwhile I am near vomiting. Whereas some obviously visit a variation of the Holy Grail quest when a perfectly-done steak is presented at table . . . I see nothing but a platter of cholesterol and fat-on-the-side. The shiny grease of fish deep fried in batter is a Monet painting to many . . . my innards curse the day that that poor fish must swim around in that boiling sticky muck rather than end it's life on a grid-over-fire: I'm certain St Joan would have agreed. And 'mushy peas' for fuck sake! The appellation alone is a good enough reason to just go ahead and nuke the Brits. And I'm not even a veggie!

Eating greasy fish and chips on a regular basis will do more harm than good, to shorten ones life.
I thought Thaiguest was taking the piss with his dramatic descriptions......never mind. I'll take a bit of issue with you and Rincondog about good ole fish'n chips. The perception of fish and chips being saturated in saturated fat is ancient. I don't know about Pattaya cooked, but back home nowadays all fish is cooked in Sunflower Oil or some other monounsatures, and if it has a light covering of batter is as healthly as any Thai standard fare of fat encrusted moo/pork, beef (80% pure fat), pork belly, chicken with skin on etc.. etc... Also chips from chip shops are much better than BK/MacDonald efforts as being 'chunky' they have far less absorbing surface for the same weight and more potato........ a carb equivalent to rice I would have thought. Not that I eat much fish'n chips but as a 'treat' I doubt they're going to 'shorten my life'.

Fish.......no matter what it's cooked in is good for you. Some of the dripping grease wok'd up in front of me in Thai homes and eateries I guarantee is re-cycled, recycle fat with no known history of saturate content. A lot of Thai food which appears healthily cooked is deep fried and pretty grease laden. As for mushy peas...ah well...you've got a point there!

thaiguest
July 9th, 2013, 09:42
I am probably wrong as to what is currently on serve at Colonial. But if they have a stove to cook both fish and the chips, surely they have a hot plate, that not only will keep some food hot, but can also used for grilling fish. Mushy peas and beans have to be kept hot.

This is part of the email that went out, so they obviously have a hot plate
Saturday & Sunday nights we have from 6 pm until 1am the following all cooked fresh to order....
Bacon Rolls.................... 60 Baht
Bacon and egg rolls...........70 Baht
Hot dog & fried onions.......70 Baht
Portion of chips...............40 Baht
3 scoops ice cream...........30 Baht

http://www.thecolonialpattaya.com

It is not the huge drama that thaiguest implies.

However suggestions they might be planning to partially reinstate the old buffet makes me shudder. The old "bain marie" they used , often the candles burnt out and the food already cooked, laid on the table without heat. Open doors flies flying in and settling onto the previously cooked meals, is asking for trouble.

I know . I and others have had this problem there and would never eat at their buffet again.
Yes but my theme is the need to respect the integrity of high quality cousine.

witchhunt
July 9th, 2013, 10:03
I don't think his cousine works in the kitchen, just his sister?

thaiguest
July 9th, 2013, 22:10
I don't think his cousine works in the kitchen, just his sister?
You're a bitch not a witch. Sorry got carried away in defence of a central element of global culinerary (?) culture. Next week roast chicken in a onion gravy smothering. Fat juicy fowl not your yellow market scrawny long-legged creatures.

jinks
July 12th, 2013, 19:46
Tuesday 16th July. 6.30 pm until 9pm.
Pork Goulash with rice or pasta this is self service and only 140 baht.

Thursday 18th July. 6.30pm until 9pm.
Cumberland sausages served with mash potato,mushy peas or baked beans and onion gravy.

For desert we have our special Banana custard sponge.
this dinner is served and is only 170 baht.