PDA

View Full Version : Query re travel to Thailand on Turkish Airways???

jvt22222
January 12th, 2006, 08:25
Over the years, I have often heard guys who traveled from Europe to Thailand say that they got good priced tickets and traveled on Turkish Air -- Europe to Istanbul to Bangkok. I have a friend in the US who is about to take a job in Turkey. There would thus be a good chance that I could visit him there and/or he visit me in Pattaya. Can someone give me a web site which might be a good place to look for good deals on such a flight. I have surfed EXPEDIA and TRAVELOCITY and a few others, but don't see any really good deals. Many thanks.

January 12th, 2006, 08:58
I have surfed EXPEDIA and TRAVELOCITY and a few others, but don't see any really good deals.

I am not sure about travel in Europe, but as far as using Expedia and the others, I usually find that the on-line airline prices are usually cheaper. I would try a travel agency that buys blocs of tickets. I believe they are called "consolidators" or something like that.

If your travel dates are open you may also try one of the companies that offer very low travel in exchange for you baggage allocation.

Good Luck!

Richard

January 13th, 2006, 04:07
You can view various reviews from two of my favorite sites:

http://www.carsurvey.org/air/airline_Turkish%20Airlines.html

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/turkish.htm

January 16th, 2006, 22:11
what are you looking for actually ? a cheap fare from BKK to IST ? then just have a look at BKK POST everyday.... or a cheap fare from Turkey to BKK ? then u have to search in TURKEY as only in the country of departure u will find those grey-market and wholesalers-fares.
About the TK: they are just "okay".... the flight from IST to BKK is usually 100% full (and they use a very new AB 340), as IST is a perfect transit point for many West- and East-European countries. and u usually dont have to wait too long to get ur connecting flight....
the bad thing about TK: they rank 50th of the 50 biggest airlines in the world when it comes to safety, and position 49 is lightyears away from them....
I was flying them a couple of times, ok for me (its all destiny anyway), they are almost the only airline which offers one-way-fares from Europe to Asia at a reasonable rate....
and they give u 30 KG luggage allowance even in economy class..... thats important to me as well....

jvt22222
January 18th, 2006, 07:15
........... many thanks for the response. I had not thought about the travel agency ads of the Classified section of the BKK Post. Good point. I generally throw that section away when I get my daily BKK Post.

In yesterday's Post there was one mention of tickets to Istanbul/Athens. When the time comes for me to make such a trip, will certainly use this section as a resource.

I am interested in tickets from BKK to IST (and return) as I am aware that if my friend gets the job in Adana and wants to come in this direction he would surely get his ticket there -- great salary so no big deal for him.

Again, many thanks.