PDA

View Full Version : Sawatdee Update

Surfcrest
June 25th, 2013, 14:33
Sawatdee Update

Members

In the past week, I have sorted through the 47 pages of the Global Forum in order to create two new Forums, Open Discussion & The Flaming Room.

If you take a look at the new Global Forum now, you will see that the topics are specific to other countries and will enable you to scan through Articles or Posts specific to other parts of the world outside of South East Asia and Thailand. This will enable you to share information and photos of where you are from, where youтАЩve lived, where youтАЩve been. This will also enable you to ask about some place you might also be thinking of travelling to outside of Thailand and South East Asia. Every year I see more and more travellers from Thailand and other countries in SE Asia, here in Vancouver or in other parts of the world and so thereтАЩs a need to make that that kind of information available to these travellers and to attract that demographic to Sawatdee-Gay-Thailand.

With the sorting through of the Global Forum we have gone from 47 pages of posts down to 10 and in the process we have also repatriated many posts specific to South East Asia back to the South East Asia Forum. Posts about Indonesia from Farang Boss, the Philippines by Wesley and Laos by Yaraboy are now all back where they belong. This too is an excellent resource to share information back and forth about the ever changing South East Asian scene, Articles, PhotosтАжwhether you are looking to travel to those areas for more than just a visa run or perhaps even move there, this hopefully is going to provide good information about these countries and your best options.

I have noticed a few things while sorting through the posts and especially while sorting Posts to the Flaming Room. As much as possible, it would be good to keep posts on topic. I can appreciate that we have to be open minded, that opinions arenтАЩt always the same, people donтАЩt always agree and that barbs and humour are how we identify ourselves somewhat. I know as well, there are also times where the gloves have to come off and things need to be settled. These are the best posts to start and finish in the Flaming Room, again rather than taking a perfectly good thread into the ditch or making our moderator get involved.

It has been standard practise in the past that arguments can be split from active threads and / or moved away to other forums, whether thatтАЩs the Flaming Room now, or any other similar Forum in the past. IтАЩve realized though, this doesnтАЩt provide value to the Board. There are several orphaned threads out there, amputated arguments or off topic posts that quickly died after being separated and where it is very difficult as a reader today to know what the posters are / were talking about. ItтАЩs even more confusing when a member has been deleted with all of his posts, making the thread even less understandable. IтАЩve kept most of these and sorted them as best I could, but we probably could have deleted them, especially if no active members were left involved with the thread piece. IтАЩm not sure how important this is for all members, but pruning of posts could affect your posting numbers (if that mattered to you).

The topics I sorted to the Flaming Room either started out there (recently), began the discussion as an argument or became an argument almost from the get go, from an irrelevant topic. If there are any topics in the Flaming Room or any Forum for that matter that you believe were sorted wrong and you would like to see moved to another Forum, just send me the topic and the reason you think it should move. There are many old threads with photo or links that donтАЩt work anymore. If you would like your thread edited to make these functions work again, please send me the updated links, the name and date of your post and the Forum I can find it in.

I may, in time go through the Gay Thailand Forum for a quick scan to see if there are any posts that would definitely belong in another Forum.

I will be working on some of the new designs of the board as we move toward the vBulletin release including the cosmetic finishing touches. dante is currently working on other projects while we put together the new look. Once we are good to go and dante is available to us again, we will move forward with the changeover.

I will leave this thread open and unlocked for all comments, suggestions....etc.

Thank you very much for your patience,

Surfcrest

giggsy
June 25th, 2013, 20:46
You are doing a great job Surfy. Harmony seems to have broken out and it is a pleasure to read the forums again. Also no complaints about moderation and deletions. I will be glad when you find time to start posting again as I always liked your input.

chacal60
June 26th, 2013, 05:26
What a task, you are to be applauded :occasion5:

I gradually moved off the boards, soon after joining, because I found topics I was sincerely interested in had gone way off their original tangent. Entertaining, yes, but not terribly helpful.

I look forward to continued, pleasurable reads.

/off to run before it gets too miserably hot/