PDA

View Full Version : Pattaya - Am I Too old for it?

joe552
June 25th, 2013, 02:23
Just back from my 2 weeks in Pattaya (I know you all missed me terribly) and wondering if I'm getting too old for it all? I'm really talking about the travel - it takes me about 24 hours from my place in Dublin to reach Pattaya, and while the excitement of returning gets me through on the way there, I find the return journey horrendous. This time it was made worse by a timetable change by Etihad which meant I was catching a plane at 03.00. I left Pattaya at 10.00 and booked a hotel near the airport so I could relax, but a night market opposite didn't allow for much rest. By the time I got back to Dublin I was feeling a lot older than my 57 years, and wondered if it was actually worth it?

Anyway, while I'm here a brief report. Had some fun, but also had two negative experiences with boys (first time that's ever happened). Maybe I was just unlucky in my choices of companions? I also had some really good fun, so on balance it's about 50/50.

Stayed at Mosaik again, and it was fine (I didn't have a problem with the hard beds that others reported) but it's all personal preference, isn't it? So I'd stay again.

Visited All of Me bar in Sunee most nights and enjoy it as a place to chat with a boy or two, and watch the Plaza come to life for the evening, although it was pretty quiet whenever I was there (I'm an early bird, so it might have been busier later in the night). Had a couple of good nights at YaYa bar. Met Ya the owner and his partner. Both seem like nice guys from what I could tell. I also went to Happy Boys and enjoyed that as well. After my first drink, I'd just move outside (I'm a smoker) and sit and drink with whoever was around. Very relaxed and good fun.

So, apart from the travel (oh, and heat which I find harder to take) I had a good time, but wonder if it's still worth the time and money to get there? I know, he who is tired of Pattaya is tired of living.

Impulse
June 25th, 2013, 03:26
Of course it's worth it Joe. I'm almost as old as you are. Don't let the travel get you down. Many of us go thru the same thing....a long trip to get there, but the thrill of the bois awaiting making the trek endurable. Yes the return trip is awful but it's the price we must pay.

My last trip it entered my mind....was it all worth it?, why did I commit myself to an off-plan condo and all the hassle that comes with it. And yes, the heat....the god awful heat!

But you only live once, and as long as you have some libido left, use it and enjoy it. Put any negativity away. Take all those bad thoughts about the trip and imagine a lily pad flaoting down a stream and put them on it. Now just think of the good times you had with those sexy bois and start planning your next trip.

joe552
June 25th, 2013, 03:48
a nice message, rocket - thanks. lily pads indeed. I'm sure by the time comes that I can afford another trip, which will be same time next year, the bad memories will have faded and the good will remain - and there were plenty of good times (and good boys!)

gaymandenmark
June 25th, 2013, 04:30
Joe I am excatly 57, like you.

My habits, and the to do or not to do in Thailand, has changed in the last 20 years, as I grow older.
But I still find Thailand to be my second home, everytime I arrive in BKK, one or two times every year.

As I change my age, I have changed my flight habit and I would never buy a flight-ticket with a travel of 24 hours.
Dublin and Copenhagen is not that far away, when you are up in the air. I know money can be a challange when you buy a ticket, but if you are out early a one-stop ticket, with a short stop in an connecting airport, should not be that more expensive, than a 24 hours trip.

Are we to old to Pattaya?. Well, maybe as I find it more and more boring, because I have seen and tried it all.
Same Boyztown, same Sunee, same expacts and tourist. After some years it is just same same and not different.

Try something else. Why only stay in Pattaya? you can always go back.
Open your mind and explore more of the country, suddenly you will find that you are not to old to Thailand but maybe Pattaya.

bucknaway
June 25th, 2013, 05:18
I've learned to love the 24 hour flight home. I can't wait to get on the plane knowing that for 24 hours I won't have to do anything. No cutting grass, no working around the house or in the yard. No working on the computer or solving others problems. for 24 hours I won't have to cook my own meals and clean up the kitchen. My meals will be delivered to me when I am hungry and taken away from me when I am done eating. All I have to do is lift my tray table out of the way. While on the plane, I get to watch and enjoy movies and shows that I might have never seen. When I grow tired, I simply close my eyes and go to sleep.

I enjoy my 24 hour flights coming and going. It's the best rest I get throughout the year. :hello2:

joe552
June 25th, 2013, 05:24
Guys, I'm not going to respond to every post - I wasn't asking for specific advice - just raising general questions. But the responses so far are interesting, so I hope it could be a good thread. Lots of positive stuff to be said, I know.

But just a comment about the flight home - on the 2nd leg from Abu Dhabi to Dublin (about seven and a half hours) there were eight (yes I counted) eight babies under two in my row or the one in front. It was unbearable. What about adult only flights?

Nirish guy
June 25th, 2013, 05:59
out if interest I wonder do you pick your seat Joe, I always make a point if I can get it of selecting the aisle seat right at the back of the plane where they have a 3 and a 2 set up which means I sometimes either get the two to myself or at least only get one person sitting beside me and also I've found that for some reason all the baby brigade tend to select up front so they are usually out of earshot ( plus I bring ear plugs) although on my last trip back from vegas there last week much to my horror I was "placed" in the middle of a row of three bang in the middle of the plane sandwiched between a large American lady and gentleman ! However much to my surprise I think the body heat thing must have got to me and I slept like a baby foe the full 7 odd hours ( mind you not sleeping for two nights before that in Vegas may also have helped I guess ! :-)

fedssocr
June 25th, 2013, 08:11
I'm much younger than you. But if I couldn't fly "up front" there's no way I would go. Having more space and comfort makes a huge difference. And makes travel a lot more fun. Lounge access, not having to wait in too many lines, etc all make the day-long trip much more bearable.

adman5000
June 25th, 2013, 08:33
Joe- I am about the same age as you. Yes, the trip is long, but I still enjoy it. One of the key reasons is that I use upgrades and am either flying BC or FC. It makes the trip more expensive, but I am normally pretty frugal. I view it as a worthwhile expense. I also enjoy getting a good shower while waiting in my connection city (usually Narita).

I find that if I stay a bit longer (one to two months) in Thailand, I look forward to returning home. I miss my normal routine, my favorite foods, and my own home and bed and my own cooking. So the return trip is something I look forward to by the time it comes along. I always struggle with the question "Could I live full time in Thailand." So far, I have decided no.

Each trip to Thailand, I vary my stay a bit. I try to visit some areas I have not been to before or for quite some time. I do things other than the bar scene for part of my trip. I do not stay exclusively in one area, I visit Pattaya on either multiple weekends if doing something nearby or stay a week if on vacation. My next trip, I want to try different accommodations in PY, as I have always stayed somewhere in Boystown. I think I will at least try a few days near Jomtien and see how I like it.

I always stay the longest in BKK and try a variety of activities outside the gogo bars. My last trip I also tried staying in Sukhumvit for part of my stay and visited more of the massage places there. It was a nice change and I also liked the evening atmosphere.

I keep in contact with some of the same guys in BKK. So even if they have left the bar scene as some have, I still try to get together with them. They are not BF's, but friends. After seeing each other multiple times for multiple years, we know each other much better so it is more relaxed for both of us. I find that having some continuing acquaintances seems to give me a bit of comfort each time. I spend zero time with other Farang. The guys I know generally do not ask me for anything unless they have a real problem. They are also the only ones that stay overnight because I know them and they adapt to my habits.

This year I did not travel to Thailand. I missed it but I figured a year off will just help me make sure I enjoy my next trip there even more. :glasses7:

Manforallseasons
June 25th, 2013, 11:45
So, apart from the travel (oh, and heat which I find harder to take) I had a good time, but wonder if it's still worth the time and money to get there? I know, he who is tired of Pattaya is tired of living.

Or simply might be ready for a change, there is life after Pattaya! I've lived here for ten years, I'm ten years older and Pattaya has changed during those years, if I were a tourist it would take me 20 hours to get here, for me it would be time to look at other options. Unless your a "rice queen" Madrid and Havana offer interesting choices. Recently received this email from a friend visiting Madrid:

hello baby - alive and well - i am in madrid !! - just brilliant - non stop action !!!! - brazilians, romanians, africans, portuguese, south americans, spanish - the lot here!! - all with whoppers!! - am exhausted - so good - lovely food, brilliant weather, bars and nightclubs packed and open till 6am, sauna is 24 hours!! - this is the place to be !! - just extended my trip 2 more days, am loving it !! - so exciting - worn

Marsilius
June 25th, 2013, 11:55
adman5000 makes a good point... When I was working full time and could only manage two weeks at a time in Thailand, I hated the journey home. Now that I am retired and never spend less than a full month at a time there, its undoubted pleasures begin to be outweighed by its very wearing annoyances by the end of the holiday and I am then quite happy to return home to the familiar conveniences of the western lifestyle.

latintopxxx
June 25th, 2013, 15:22
man4allseasons...unless you have made an effort body and grooming wise anyone over 50 in Europe will struggle to hook up with fit young guys....except for the very tiny minority who are attracted to older out if shape daddy tyoes.
Sure there are lotsa rent available...even more so due to the crisis and sky high unemployment (see always a silver lining to be found)...and at reasonable prices...bought me some good arse for under тВм50...as low as 20. But you dont have the huge choice and low cost available in Thailand..and as a sex addict that makes a difference...and thailand has something else...that x factor...that makes me relax...the stress just seems to evaportae.

June 25th, 2013, 15:30
Goodness me you children are such softies Im 69 yes yes ive heard all the jokes and I am perfectly ok with long distance travel but its ludercris to suggest that being tired of a slum like Pattay means youre tried of life.

Beachlover
June 25th, 2013, 16:28
The first problem: Flying

When I used to fly economy, I would always pay the additional fee to get an emergency row seat. It gives you unlimited leg room, which makes it slightly more comfortable For Singapore Airlines and Qantas, I think it was $50 or $80 per flight or something. Don't know about the airlines you fly.

But if you can afford it, flying business does make all the difference... even for the shorter 7 to 10 hour flights I take. I actually look forward to flying now... peace and quiet (no phone calls or e-mails), a big comfy chair, a nice meal and good wine to accompany a bit of TV and a good night's sleep. Coffee and breakie served in the morning. No need to get up for anything except the toilet!

The second problem: Location

All I can say is there's a lot more to Thailand than Pattaya. And there's a lot more to Asia than Thailand. Maybe it's time to start focusing on things that will fulfill you more in the long term, than the momentary thrill of cheap sex.

Nirish guy
June 25th, 2013, 17:19
Maybe it's time to start focusing on things that will fulfill you more in the long term, than the momentary thrill of cheap sex.

Here endeth the first lesson.....now all please stand for hymn number 201.............and all i can say BL is if your thrill is momentary there are tablets you can get for that !

scottish-guy
June 25th, 2013, 17:27
...if your thrill is momentary there are tablets you can get for that !

......or have a wank first - I hear that enables one to "last longer"

joe552
June 25th, 2013, 17:47
Thanks for the patronising but totally useless advice, BL. I prefer to deal with people who live in the real world.

NI Guy, thanks for that suggestion about the back of the plane - I'll try it next time (assuming I go). I tend not to sleep apart from maybe a short nap, so people using the toilet shouldn't be a problem, and it's quicker to get a drink from the stewards.

hai336
June 25th, 2013, 18:25
On trips to Southeast Asia from North America, I have often stopped off in Tokyo en route. It's a nice break to the trip, although this can increase the fare considerably.

christianpfc
June 25th, 2013, 19:47
On several occasions, I managed to get from my room in Europe to my hotel in Thailand in less than 20 hours. But I don't like long travelling, after two movies and one or two hours of reading it gets boring. I find it difficult to sleep because my back is not horizontal (I think the problem is my neck muscles are tense to keep my head from falling to the side), but that's the best solution to fly over night and spend most of the flight in slumber. For less than two weeks holiday, it's not worth the money for the flight and the inconvenience. I wish I could travel as fast and cheap as making a phone call from Europe to Thailand!

Interesting to read that others enjoy flights. Even for short flights, I don't like the hassle (being at the airport one or two hours before the flight departs, security check, queuing and so on).

francois
June 25th, 2013, 20:58
Joe; to answer your question, No, I don't think the flight and hassle is worth it for just 2 weeks in Thailand. A friend recently went to Prague and had a ball; actually quite a few balls which might be an option for you.

For me it is at least 30 hours, door to door, on my flights from home to Pattaya, so a long flight. But almost always Biz Class which is wonderful. Also agree with the poster who mentioned the 2-3-2 or 2-4-2 seating at rear of plane which is not too bad if you are not a man of size.

Beachlover
June 25th, 2013, 21:09
Thanks for the patronising but totally useless advice, BL. I prefer to deal with people who live in the real world.
Some perspective. You prefer to endure 40+ hrs flying back and forth in the crap end of an airliner for just two weeks of cheap, paid for sex in a climate you hate... that might be 'living in the real world' to you but it isn't the reality most people choose.

Interesting to read that others enjoy flights. Even for short flights, I don't like the hassle (being at the airport one or two hours before the flight departs, security check, queuing and so on).
Yeah, the airport shit is why I prefer longer international flights as opposed to short 1-2 hour domestic flights... almost the same amount of hassle getting to and through the airport with a shorter flight. At least with a longer flight, you get to relax in a nice chair for several hours in between.

joe552
June 25th, 2013, 22:12
Firstly, BL, the paid for sex isn't cheap!! I don't hate the climate but it's so different to Ireland's that it takes me a while to adjust and that gets harder as I get older. Anyway, we can't all live in your "money no object" world (if that's where you actually live). My original post was merely some thoughts I'd had on my return. My experience, my thoughts.

scottish-guy
June 25th, 2013, 23:26
I have to support Joe on this as I think there is little appreciation by some of the travel difficulties many of us have in getting to Thailand.

Notwithstanding Francois being able to outbid almost everybody on flight durations at over 30 hours (OMFG!!) - I think there is a general misconception about the time taken to get to Thailand if one is not within easy striking distance of an International hub like London or Amsterdam where many options including direct flights are possible.

I posted here some weeks ago that for me it is near enough 24 hours between leaving my house and arriving in my hotel in Pattaya and I was roundly ridiculed (albeit on another Board) for making this assertion - which is 100% accurate. I fly GLA-DXB-BKK with only a 3 hour layover in DXB - and I cannot possibly shorten the time taken as the only alternative is via LHR/LGW and suitable connections just don't exist! I have tried various routes and the worst ever experience was GLA-LHR-VIE-BKK on Austrian!!

The suggestion that Joe ought to pay 300-400% more to sit in BC instead of Economy is rather flippant (remember his options from Dublin are limited and the more reasonable BC fares are probably not available to him). In any case, not everybody can afford or justify BC fares (including me) and if you are only visiting Thailand once or twice a year you will probably never earn sufficient FF points to upgrade - although I did manage it once and the experience was night-and-day. Similarly the idea that he should go to maybe Chiang Mai or Phuket instead is equally unrealistic as it would increase his journey time rather than help the situation.

NIrish suggests sitting in an aisle seat at the back of the plane and thats a reasonable suggestion except you would probably have an almost constant queue of people standing very close to you and farting in your face as they wait to get in the toilet - and all the noise and toilet smells that go with sitting there. But I may be wrong and I'll bow to NIrish's superior experience on sitting in that area.

I'm afraid I can not offer Joe many ideas to make the trip (especially the return) any more pleasant without upping the cost by a factor of 3 or 4. Maybe a change of time on your return flight might help :dontknow: I tend to leave BKK at 2 or 3am because I want to make the most of the last day in Thailand but I do wonder if by that time I'm not just totally knackered, irritable, and the last thing I want to do is face 24 hours travelling. Maybe if I had an early night the night before and left around noon I might be fresher.

All I can usefully say is that IF you are retired Joe - or can swing an extra few days off work - then maybe a stopover somewhere for a day or two just to catch your second wind might be an idea :dontknow: but without knowing your usual routing I can't be more specific.

Just to pick up on Francois' post - last year I went back to Prague for the first time in 10/15 years and yes I had a great time and the flights were a dream at 3.5 hours - but a week in Prague was enough as there is not the variety of venues (with take-out entertainment) as in
Thailand (you are talking maybe 3 "take-away" bars maximum). Next month I am off to Berlin again as a week there is easy travelling, cheap fares, and enough selection of boys. Recently I visited Gran Canaria and again had a good time socially - but sexually??? Well,it seemed to me that unless you're a leather queen who enjoys being fist-fucked by total strangers in some stinking darkroom, you're on a loser there :sign5: So Joe might maybe consider a change of destination.

joe552
June 25th, 2013, 23:48
I don't know who it was, but someone has hacked into Scottish-guy's account and posted a totally reasonable account of the difficulties some of us face in going to Thailand.

For the record, I made my original post soon after I got home, when I was extremely tired and probably a bit depressed to be back. Maybe next time I should wait a few days before posting.

I've tried various routings over the years, and this one: DUB - Abu Dhabi - BKK actually suits me as I get a break in Abu Dhabi. It's more the length of the trip - around 24 hours - that I was complaining about. When I've done it before, I left BKK at 8.30pm and that worked fine as I got a night's sleep in Pattaya, time for breakfast, then off to the airport in the late afternoon. But Etihad have changed the flight times. This time I left Pattaya at 10.00 to stay at a hotel near the airport for the day, but got little sleep as there was a night market opposite.

I know I can look at other options, but Business Class is not one of them unfortunately. I got a free upgrade a couple of years ago and it was nice, but feel even if I could afford it - which I can't - the money would be better spent in Pattaya. My choice I know.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

Magnum
June 26th, 2013, 00:19
Had some fun, but also had two negative experiences with boys (first time that's ever happened). Maybe I was just unlucky in my choices of companions? I also had some really good fun, so on balance it's about 50/50.

Hi Joe, sorry to hear that your trip wasn't that great as expected. May I ask you what has happened re the two negative experiences?

I'm in my thirties and always returning as a total wreck from Thailand. It's not only the horrendous flight (I'm a tall guy and don't feel comfortable to sit in EC), it's the lack of sleep and way too much alcohol over the whole trip. However, Beachlover's advice is good to book the emergency exit seat. I always prefer non-stop flights, so you don't need to wait hours at several Airports. Over the flight I watch as many movies as possible and time flies.

joe552
June 26th, 2013, 00:47
I'd prefer not to talk about the "negative" experiences - one could identify the boy in question, and the other could cause problems for a bar. I've in touch with one of the boys and all is ok again. On reflection, they weren't serious incidents, merely took the shine off for a while.

I guess the bottom line with the travel is weighing up if it's worth the exhaustion? I'll probably feel that it is in a couple of weeks.

francois
June 26th, 2013, 02:03
If one thinks that Monsieur Fran├зois is well off they would be wrong. My Biz Class flights mostly use frequent flyer miles or miles I purchased when on sale or upgrades with miles. Sadly that has all ended; my final Biz Class is soon approaching as I return to Thailand; after that it is steerage on the return home flight. Consigned to an aisle seat at the back of the plane in front of the toilet. But not so bad maybe? Ten years ago I was seated in this position and, with a bout of mal-de-air I spent half the flight seated in the toilet. What a relief to have my own personal compartment with running water.

joe552
June 26th, 2013, 02:06
francois, you're obviously a "glass half full" kind of guy - love that description of your own private room with running water. :sign5:

scottish-guy
June 26th, 2013, 02:07
I hope the running water compensated for the running shit!!

:sign5:

joe552
June 26th, 2013, 02:09
always here to raise the tone, eh scotty? :occasion9:

scottish-guy
June 26th, 2013, 02:11
always here to raise the tone, eh scotty? :occasion9:

Well it's not possible to lower it my dear :evil4:

Impulse
June 26th, 2013, 02:31
NIrish suggests sitting in an aisle seat at the back of the plane and thats a reasonable suggestion except you would probably have an almost constant queue of people standing very close to you and farting in your face as they wait to get in the toilet - and all the noise and toilet smells that go with sitting there. But I may be wrong and I'll bow to NIrish's superior experience on sitting in that area.

An aisle seat yes, but I try to stay far away from the toilet! I was overjoyed by the leg room I had on one flight when I first sat down. But I found it rather disgusting knowing what was going on only a few yards away from me in the toilet the whole duration of the flight. The smells were there. And after the meal is served the stampede is on.

joe552
June 26th, 2013, 02:40
I've gone off NIrish Guy's idea now - hadn't considered the toilet thing too much. I'll try somewhere toward the back but not too close to the toilet. Oh this international travel is such an ordeal.

colmx
June 26th, 2013, 04:29
Hi Joe
Sounds like you should be flying KLM via amsterdam or SAS via copenhagen
Both have the shortest travel and transit times
And have the easiest airports to navigate

KLM is only 14 hours 5 minutes total travel time out (including stopever in Schipol)
And 15 hours 10 on the way back...
It also leaves at a reasonable 12.00 Midday from bkk and arrives into dublin around 21.00... just in time to go home to bed!

KLM also have an upgrade to economy extra for тВм70 on either leg... gets you 4 extra inches... but is well worth it for 1 leg (or certainly was when i flew at christmas with my leg in a cast!)

I noticed that all the "arabian" airlines seem to get a lot more children/babies as passengers... so they are off my list these days... i guess their parents like the stopovers...

joe552
June 26th, 2013, 04:39
thanks, colmx - guess I just got used to Etihad and was hoping to use my miles for another upgrade, but they reduced the miles earned, so I'll be seriously looking at other options. I actually flew via Copenhagen on my first trip, but don't really remember much about it. Sometimes I just get stuck in a rut and go with what's familiar, but after this last trip, definitely worth exploring other routes. thanks for the info

Nirish guy
June 26th, 2013, 04:41
I've gone off NIrish Guy's idea now - hadn't considered the toilet thing too much. I'll try somewhere toward the back but not too close to the toilet. Oh this international travel is such an ordeal.

I thought that too before I booked it but I can assure you from sitting there many times it's just not an issue, quite the opposite actually as there are usually two loo's at the back and assuming you're not sitting right on the very back seat ( I normally go two or three up) it's not a problem either in terms of noise, smell or people crowding you - there's just none of the above - and if anything "I" like being closer to the loo's so that if I need to go freshen up I'm not walking the length of the plane with my wee gay wash bag lol, likewise you do get served your food and drink first and as there's always some staff milling about in the general area if you need anything they're usually close so you can grab their attention without having to ding that bloody annoying call button, you know the one where half the plane look up to see what you wanted !

And if you get the two seater spaces there's a fair chance ( assuming you don't get a "pisser" sitting beside you of course) that once you've both had your grub and a wine or two you can settle down and get a reasonable few hours kip without being disturbed AND the biggest bonus, to me anyway, is that all the bassinet seats for babies etc are just about as far away from me up front as they possible can be ! So definitely the best seats for single travellers in my humble opinion and lots of skytrak voters think the same it seems.

Mind you as I've just used up a load of miles and upgraded to BC on my next flight out on I'll thankfully not have to worry this time :-) - well for some of the legs anyway which is the one down side of the split flight in that case :-(

joe552
June 26th, 2013, 04:59
just to confuse matters, I've just checked my Etihad account and I think I have enough miles for an upgrade which I would probably use on the final leg of the return. I'm usually so excited going out that BC would be wasted on me. But use of a lounge at Abu Dhabi plus BC for the longest part of the journey could swing it. Although I will check the alternatives colmx suggested. As a matter of interest, NIrish, who do you fly with and what route?

Brad the Impala
June 26th, 2013, 05:56
Why are people moaning about journey times of 24 hours from Dublin and Glasgow, when there are flights that take 14 hours! Just how far from airports do you guys live!!

Nirish guy
June 26th, 2013, 06:05
Sg is talking about times "door to door" from you leave your house until you reach your hotel generally - and yes there are 12/13 hour "direct" flights from Heathrow etc, but for most of us that then means catching a local connecting flight first and whilst that may only be an hour or so's actual flight by the time you factor in going through THAT airport as too you and then say a minimum of two hours to get through Heathrow with no hassles (and that's assuming that they've checked your bags in straight from your local airport, which depending on your ticket and your connecting airline they can't always do, so if not you've to add a bit more time on there too - assuming they don't lose your case of course as well.

Likewise that's then planning for the "direct" flight but sometimes either to save money or to use / collect FF miles or just purely by choice and rather than endure one long flight some prefer to split the flight in two and if flying Emirates etc we have no choice about that so that then too can then add a further minimum of a two hour lay over on to your time or sometimes even up to a 6, 8 or 12 hour layover on to your timings dependant on what flights were available / you picked etc, so yes all in all as I myself have counted the hours from hotel to home etc several times now and that 22- 24 hour estimate tends to be just about bang on and as I've always flown the direct route before myself as well I'm guessing the fastest it could be done from most non main hub airports "direct"would be around the 18 and a half hours mark door to door or so, which if you get screaming children and a "excuse can I just get over you to go to the loo please" person next to you can make for a bloody long flight and a tiring few days when you get home, especially when you're right back to work the next day.

edit- actually just for my own curiosity I just went and checked my upcoming itinerary for later in the week and after the approximate time required door to door as shown below works out at 23hrs - and that's having a reasonable connection time on all flights.

Taxi to airport and Check in time - 1.5hrs hours total.

Thu 27 Jun 13
Depart 10:55 George Best Belfast City Airport (BHD) 1hr 10 0 Stops

Arrive Thu 27 Jun 13
12:05 Birmingham International Airport (BHX)

Connection
2 hr 10 min

Depart Thu 27 Jun 13
14:15 Birmingham International Airport (BHX) 7hr 00min

Arrive Fri 28 Jun 13
00:15 Dubai International Airport (DXB)

Connection
3 hr 25 min

Depart Fri 28 Jun 13
03:40 Dubai International Airport (DXB) 6hr 20min

Arrive Fri 28 Jun 13
13:00 Suvarnabhumi International Airport (BKK)

Clear Immigration, collect case and taxi to Hotel (Silom) - 1hr 35mins traffic dependent.

Total Journey time = 23 hours. ( and this is with good connections ! )

svyturys
June 26th, 2013, 06:14
All I can say is there's a lot more to Thailand than Pattaya. And there's a lot more to Asia than Thailand. Maybe it's time to start focusing on things that will fulfill you more in the long term, than the momentary thrill of cheap sex.

I can only agree with BL on this. Thailand might be a great country but there is definitely much more to Asia. And personally, I'm more interested in Japan or China. Same applies to my taste in guys. Especially Japs. They are so bloody cute. However, taking into account a discriminatory culture of Japan and venerable age of most of members of this forum, it may not be suitable for everyone. But then there's culture and manners. And there's no match for that anywhere in Asia.

Nirish guy
June 26th, 2013, 06:21
However, taking into account a discriminatory culture of Japan........

Interesting you say that as only yesterday I was talking to a Japanese guy I know who had suggested I come to Japan this trip for a week or so and I gently mentioned that might be one of the reasons I wouldn't be rushing there as I couldn't be arsed dealing with any drama / attitude whilst on holiday and he was MOST offended and stated there was NO discrimination either against white people or gay people in Japan and my even suggesting it showed it was "me and not them" who was ignorant as in reality I was "obviously" mistaking their shyness at perhaps not speaking English for rudeness and that was very silly of me "apparently". i pointed out that several friends I know have all arrived home ( separately) with the same shared view and I had also read it on many internet sites, but no, apparently I was totally wrong about that - so very interesting you said the same tonight ! I'm sure he'll write your comments off as ill informed too - but I doubt they are somehow.

scottish-guy
June 26th, 2013, 07:07
Why are people moaning about journey times of 24 hours from Dublin and Glasgow, when there are flights that take 14 hours! Just how far from airports do you guys live!!

Well, NIrish has already explained to you but I'll amplify it.

The first thing to say is that there are NO direct flights from any airport in Scotland, so I need to go via London. I could go to AMS and get a direct from there - but that never works out without huge layovers.

Next, I live approx 500 miles from London - and it's not just the distance Brad - again it's the time delays and layovers involved.
British Airways has all but pulled out regionally except for early morning business flights and BMI gave up its London flights years ago.
The low cost carriers generally fly to Luton or Stansted rather than LHR - so the options are severely limited. I have tried flying into Luton and getting to LHR by airport bus link but that's absolutely horrendous.

But anyway - supposing I decide to get one of these 14 hour flights from LHR you mention.

With the fact I'll have luggage to check in (and onward check-in if possible - which it rarely is) I want to be at the local airport 2 hours before departure and it takes me say 30 minutes to get there. So there's 2.5 hours before I even get anywhere.

Then the flight will take 90 mins to LHR and then I may have to wait 6 hours or more for my connection e.g Eva which doesnt leave until almost 10pm from memory but the latest flight into LHR for me arrives in at 15.45. So, in all, there's another 7.5 hours gone.

Then the Flight to BKK - as you say 14 hours.

Then lets say 1 hour to get off the plane, clear immigration, collect luggage, get a taxi.

Then taxi to Pattaya hotel - another 2 hours approx with 1 quick stop for refreshments.

Total = 27 hours door-to-door.

OK maybe I could shave an hour off here or there and be rushed - but you can easily see my estimate of 24 hours is entirely realistic even WITH a 14 hour direct flight from London.

But I don't do that route anyway - precisely because of the hassle.

I go GLA-DXB-BKK - so I have 3.5hrs travel and check-in at GLA (need to arrive earlier for International flights), then approx 7hrs to DXB, 3.5 Hour layover, another 7 to BKK, still an hour to clear airport and 2 hrs to Pattaya = total 23hrs. I do it that way because I don't want to sit in LHR for 6 hours waiting on the Eva flight nor do I want to sit in an Economy seat for 14 hours non-stop. I don't get there much quicker via DXB but it breaks the journey up.

Point is - whatever way I do it it's approx 24hrs or more - which as Joe says is fine going out when you're full of anticipation but it's a real downer coming back.

anonone
June 26th, 2013, 07:47
I love hearing about the lengthy travels from Europe to LOS. :sign5:

For a real kick, try getting there from the middle of the USA. It is 23 hours actually in the air flying, without connection or ground transport time factored in.

And totally worth it. :alc:

Impulse
June 26th, 2013, 08:59
I love hearing about the lengthy travels from Europe to LOS

I fly from New York City and it's about 21 hours of actual flight time. Always a stop-over someplace.

adman5000
June 26th, 2013, 10:42
Colmx said: KLM also have an upgrade to economy extra for тВм70 on either leg... gets you 4 extra inches

Joe- When you finally do get to Thailand, ask the bars if they will match the above KLM offer and get that 4 extra inches. :glasses7:

Surfcrest
June 26th, 2013, 14:13
I fly from New York City and it's about 21 hours of actual flight time. Always a stop-over someplace.
I fly to and from New York with Cathay Pacific, the same route I've used for quite some time....it's perfect.
The JFK to YVR flight is the only non-stop flight from New York that doesn't leave at a ridiculous time in the morning....leaving instead in the early evening.
It gets you in at a decent time and out after a full day in the city.

The same flight (CX889) stops off in Vancouver for fuel and then takes off for Hong Kong at about 2:00AM, getting into Hong Kong at 07:00AM some 12 or so hours later.
Time for a meal (And Cathay puts a fine one together, although I'm not so sure about the stainless steel cutlery, knife included) and a drink or two before a full night's sleep.

We fly with darkness all the way. All of CathayтАЩs connections are scheduled to depart within an hour or so of us landing, plenty of time to catch the next flight if you know your Transit points in HKG. I can usually get into BKK at 11, and into Pattaya by early afternoonтАж.fresh and good for a few hours at the beach, a plate of whatever IтАЩve missed the most and hopefully a beer with Ritt.

So even though IтАЩm flying for nearly 15 hours, I get a good nightтАЩs sleep and gain an incredible amount of time with my connections.
We probably all prioritize differently when we fly, some by cost, others by carrier or alliances, or schedulingтАж.for me, direct flights are what I aim for.

As for airlines, Cathay is my all-time favorite airline and believe me, I have a long list of not so favorites.
Cathay has several flights per day between HKG and BKK.

Surfcrest

joe552
June 26th, 2013, 14:27
Colmx said: KLM also have an upgrade to economy extra for тВм70 on either leg... gets you 4 extra inches

Joe- When you finally do get to Thailand, ask the bars if they will match the above KLM offer and get that 4 extra inches. :glasses7:

adman, that's a special offer whose time has surely come :sign5:

Nirish guy
June 26th, 2013, 14:29

Adman - are you crazy - the extra 4" is exactly and the only the reason we DO all fly the 24 hrs in the first place !!! Oh no sorry wait I forgot, no it's the temples, yeah that's what it is temples and the food, yeah we'll
Stick with that reason if asked ! :-) Lol

Halfhansum
June 26th, 2013, 14:57
Well the holiday starts for me, when i leave my front door,and i actualy enjoy the journey ..
I try to get a window seat, on a direct flight, so as not to get disturbed ,
and try not to drink to much, before take off ... 55555

Brad the Impala
June 26th, 2013, 15:00
But anyway - supposing I decide to get one of these 14 hour flights from LHR you mention.

Direct flights from LHR are 11 hours, the 14 hours refers to flights from Glasgow or Dublin.

For example:

---------
Glasgow to Bangkok via Amsterdam
GLA 13:15 BKK 09:35 +1 day 1 Stop Journey Duration 14h 20m
KLM 1476 operated by KLM CITYHOPPER
KLM 875

Show Flight Details

Return from
┬г598
per person
includes tax and fees
-----------------

Similar deals available from Dublin. If you guys want to cut down your door to door times there are ways, if you choose. And no need to arrive 3 hours before departure on international flights anymore. Check in online, arrive 90 minutes before, or two hours maximum if you're very cautious. On a connection like the above(2 Hours at Schipol) your baggage will be checked through from Glasgow to Bangkok.

The bad news is that the return flight takes an hour longer, but that seems standard, and still well short of the travel durations that are being quoted. The good news is that with this option being KLM, you possibly get the option for 4 extra inches too!

Brad the Impala
June 26th, 2013, 15:14

More difficult from Belfast, but you can still find shorter, and simpler journeys:
------------------------

Belfast to Bangkok via London
BHD 19:05 BKK 15:15 +1 day 1 Stop Journey time 14h 10m
British Airways 1419
British Airways 9

Show Flight Details

Return from
┬г751
per person
includes tax and fees
-------------------------------------

Again with both these flights being BA your baggage should be checked through, leaving you free to wander round LHR for two hours.

(Beginning to feel like a travel agent!)

scottish-guy
June 26th, 2013, 15:23
Now Brad, I'm not one to be picky but you started it - so on your own timings the flights you "recommend" for me aren't 14hours are they - it's nearer 14.5 out and 15.5 back.

I'm still 30 mins to GLA Airport and let's say I take your advice of turning up 2 hours before - so we are now at 17hrs out.

I still have to get off the plane in BKK, though immigration, get luggage and get or collect taxi - so we are now at 18 hours out.

Journey to Pattaya including 1 very quick pit stop 2 hrs, so we are now at 20 hours to get to Pattaya and 21 hours to get back.

Ok that may be less than the 23 hours I quoted via DXB - but it's not exactly cutting it in half is it?

I have looked at all available options over the years and for one reason or another the Emirates flights via DXB suit me best in terms of timings, food (poor on KLM), "free" booze (none between GLA and AMS - just did that trip in Feb 2013!!), and I like a short break in the journey. That's why I get to 23hrs via DXB.

But maybe you could advise Francois - he says he's over 30 hours!!

aot871
June 26th, 2013, 15:34
How old would you guys need to be before you considered you were too old to make the trip, at least once a year? I fly out of Manchester and I have just worked it out as approx. 21hrs door to door, via Doha

scottish-guy
June 26th, 2013, 15:51
I'm relatively young I suspect compared to some others (I know NIrish is younger than me) so in my present state of health (and mind) I don't forsee any time in the forseeable future where the journey duration would - on its own - put me off visiting.

The other factors which might combine to put me off are just lack of available/suitable time, ever-increasing expense in Thailand, "familarity breeding contempt", and a gradually diminishing interest in getting my leg over as being the be all and end all !!

Really I was just empathising with Joe

Brad the Impala
June 26th, 2013, 16:02
The first thing to say is that there are NO direct flights from any airport in Scotland, so I need to go via London. I could go to AMS and get a direct from there - but that never works out without huge layovers.

The connection I suggested in AMS was only 2 hours.

Next, I live approx 500 miles from London - and it's not just the distance Brad - again it's the time delays and layovers involved.
British Airways has all but pulled out regionally except for early morning business flights and BMI gave up its London flights years ago.
The low cost carriers generally fly to Luton or Stansted rather than LHR - so the options are severely limited. I have tried flying into Luton and getting to LHR by airport bus link but that's absolutely horrendous.

With the fact I'll have luggage to check in (and onward check-in if possible - which it rarely is) I want to be at the local airport 2 hours before departure and it takes me say 30 minutes to get there. So there's 2.5 hours before I even get anywhere.

Then the flight will take 90 mins to LHR and then I may have to wait 6 hours or more for my connection e.g Eva which doesnt leave until almost 10pm from memory but the latest flight into LHR for me arrives in at 15.45. So, in all, there's another 7.5 hours gone.

Then the Flight to BKK - as you say 14 hours.

Then lets say 1 hour to get off the plane, clear immigration, collect luggage, get a taxi.

Then taxi to Pattaya hotel - another 2 hours approx with 1 quick stop for refreshments.

Total = 27 hours door-to-door.

If you prefer this scenario, that's your call, but I've just suggested an alternative schedule that saves you, on your own calculation, seven hours on the above, and rather a lot of hassle. I don't think that you are quite as disadvantaged as you think you are, or it seems as you choose to be.

Nirish guy
June 26th, 2013, 16:07
[quote="Nirish guy":3lqepvkz]

More difficult from Belfast, but you can still find shorter flights!)[/quote:3lqepvkz]

Actually I have to give it to you, that's not bad at all and generally hard to find, although I'm not sure what dates you used as my dates ie tomorrow show that cost as ┬г1400 and something quid for economy and the shortest return possible at being about 17 hours - and that's not door to door just in the airport.

Anyway no ones quibbling over the basic facts, no matter where you're coming from whether that be Europe or worst still the US it's a long old trek, but it seems subject to SGs general terms if what might restrict you in the future - which I fully agree with, it appears its a trip we're all still ( begrudgingly) happy still to make in order to see all those wonderful temples and things :-)

PeterUK
June 26th, 2013, 16:07
I find it difficult to sleep because my back is not horizontal (I think the problem is my neck muscles are tense to keep my head from falling to the side)...

I find it impossible to sleep on planes (I don't count the fitful dozes which serve only to disorient me). In my case the main problem is the nagging awareness that I am whizzing along at 30,000 feet in a tubular structure subject to metal fatigue.

joe552
June 26th, 2013, 16:12
Peter, thanks for giving us another reason to be stressed :occasion9:

Well I certainly inspired an interesting debate (who'd of thunk it). I guess the bottom line is that we each have our preferences between long direct flights or those with a stopover (which I prefer). But there have been some good suggestions about alternatives, which I for one will examine in more detail when the time comes. Thanks to all who've contributed. :notworthy:

scottish-guy
June 26th, 2013, 16:15
No Brad - your timings save me seven hours on a route I don't take (via LHR).

The route I choose to take is via DXB which is 23 hours door-to-door - and your alternative via KLM is 10% shorter but on an airline I don't like and with an 11 hour flight (from AMS) which I seek to avoid.

So basically you're saving me 2 or 3 hours - for which I appreciate the work you've done - but it's not significant enough to make me change my habits. But thanks anyway.

Nirish guy
June 26th, 2013, 16:19
For the record Brad - send me your details - when it comes to recruiting my next travel agent your hired ! lol

And your flight was with bloody BA too - and I would have got my miles :-(( grrrr - not that you can ever use the bloody things with them it seems as the Bkk flight gets about two "miles tickets" every year it seems and even THEY are booked up a year in advance ! :-(

Brad the Impala
June 26th, 2013, 16:54
All flights were just from a search on Expedia, and I just picked a random date three months in advance. That seemed about the right time scale. The BA flight looked very good value.

I remember when I was first flying to Thailand, and the challenge to get the absolute minimum fare price. It resulted in a couple of flights on Aeroflot with long stopovers in Moscow. There were no safety instructions, and the stewardesses had thighs the size of rugby players. Hence the advice to never sit in an aisle seat on Aeroflot. I did it once, but ended up bruised from those weighty thighs. At the time, the 70's, flights ranged between ┬г350 and ┬г450, so flights are way cheaper relatively now.

I absolutely agree that long flights in Economy can be torturous, and I would prefer to get it over with as soon as possible, and am therefore not interested in breaking up the journey and getting on and off planes to see another airport lounge. Just get me to my destination and get this over with!

If you are able to go up front then the flight becomes part of the holiday, and I really quite look forward to being pampered with no responsibilities for 12 hours, and it certainly softens the blow of leaving Thailand. I'd still always go for a direct flight.

Beachlover
June 26th, 2013, 17:59
Cathay being a favourite is no surprise... that is a solid airline. I'm quite lucky that most of the routes I regularly fly are serviced by solid airlines, usually top-rated Asian airlines like Singapore or Cathay or Qantas (still a top airline) or Emirates. They almost makes America and Europe look like the third world...

An aisle seat yes
Actually, when I used to fly economy for longer flights, I preferred window seats, especially if I wanted to sleep. I found I got a bit of extra room next to the window and with the right sort of arrangement, I could lean against the window or fuselage and sleep all the more better sprawled out this way.

But I still prefer aisle seats when I fly economy for short-haul (under 2 hrs).

To be honest, I find it difficult to relate to people complaining about flying economy or being tired afterwards when they only fly a few times a year, even if they are long flights. Is it really that bad?

I never had an issue flying economy on my holidays until I started flying much more frequently, 10-15 flights a month (though only a third of those flights were long haul). That's when flying started to get on my nerves and I decided to fork out 3-4 times more for business. These days, sprawled out in these massive business class seats, the thought of having to sleep semi-upright in economy, millimeters away from god knows who (and did they shower before the flight?) in the seat next to me as I used to do fills me with dread. But I've gotten used to being pampered...

I find it impossible to sleep on planes (I don't count the fitful dozes which serve only to disorient me). In my case the main problem is the nagging awareness that I am whizzing along at 30,000 feet in a tubular structure subject to metal fatigue.
You worry and lose sleep for nothing. Metal fatigue rarely an issue anymore... modern aircraft construction methods are designed to counteract this.

I sleep like a log on planes so for me, one life's greatest joys is getting on a plane in Bangkok, Singapore or Hong Kong in the evening, getting a good night's sleep, waking up and arriving in Sydney in time for a tasty early morning breakfast at my favourite local cafe.

Beachlover
June 26th, 2013, 18:13
Thailand might be a great country but there is definitely much more to Asia. And personally, I'm more interested in Japan or China. Same applies to my taste in guys. Especially Japs. They are so bloody cute. However, taking into account a discriminatory culture of Japan and venerable age of most of members of this forum, it may not be suitable for everyone. But then there's culture and manners. And there's no match for that anywhere in Asia.
Hmmm... Japan yes. Very stimulating and interesting country and Japanese guys are so clean cut and handsome. But China I dislike. While there's a LOT of good looking guys in Mainland China, many of them smoke and I can't really stand a lot of their habits, thinking, values and manners. I do like Taiwanese guys - they're both really nice, down to Earth and hot.

Korean guys can be REALLY hot and I have been with a few of them but sometimes, their manners and habits aren't great. They can be selfish. Malaysian Chinese guys can be really hot and sexy, sometimes good characters, other times hit and miss. Singaporean Chinese guys are so nice and clean cut and often have great bodies - they're also quite intelligent and thoughtful, but sometimes lacking in charm and a bit arrogant. The more ethnic Malays can be quite handsome. Hong Kong guys can be so good looking - but I can't stand the character of the really really hyperactive honky ones.

Ethnic Indonesian guys I generally don't much like but the Chinese Indonesians can be quite sexy if they're a bit more Westernised. Filipinos I don't really like because I don't find their cocks attractive the way they're circumcised and no offense intended but I find their character a bit annoying and oblivious/awkward sometimes. Vietnamese guys can be quite good looking and the more Westernised ones are nice and of good character...

... I could go on. Man, have I been around. :rolling:

The point is, if you like Asian guys, you're really missing out on a lot if you only stay in Thailand.

francois
June 26th, 2013, 20:53
I'm relatively young I suspect compared to some others (I know NIrish is younger than me) so in my present state of health (and mind) I don't forsee any time in the forseeable future where the journey duration would - on its own - put me off visiting.

Just what is your foreseeable future, Scotty? I do know some frequent flyers have given up the these long flights at about 80yo. It really does depend on one's health and mobility.

scottish-guy
June 26th, 2013, 22:58
Well Francois, I was thinking maybe 15 years ahead - but yes, the unpredictibility was really the point I was making.

I've been very lucky healthwise in that I've never had a day in hospital in my life and never even lost a day off work due to illness. Any time my blood-pressure etc is tested its completely fine BUT you never know whats round the corner - anybody can drop dead in the next 5 minutes (although in a very few cases that's probably wishful thinking on my part!)

firecat69
June 27th, 2013, 00:47
Cathay being a favourite is no surprise... that is a solid airline. I'm quite lucky that most of the routes I regularly fly are serviced by solid airlines, usually top-rated Asian airlines like Singapore or Cathay or Qantas (still a top airline) or Emirates. They almost makes America and Europe look like the third world...
K"]I find it impossible to sleep on planes (I don't count the fitful dozes which serve only to disorient me). In my case the main problem is the nagging awareness that I am whizzing along at 30,000 feet in a tubular structure subject to metal fatigue.

I hate being an apologist for American airlines but. Recently I have flown BC on ANA(ranked #4) Air. Japan and UA. I can't for the life of me why everyone raves about Asian Carriers unless they like to look at pretty female FA"s. UA entertainment center is superior to both of them. Food is relatively the same and the lie flat beds are at least as good .

Also UA does not keep the temps. so high that you are sweating like most Asian carriers. Maybe they have better booze and wine (I don't drink). Now I might fly ANA if the Dreamliner ever can stay in the air because they will have staggered seating in a 2 Class configuration and personal space is important to me.

Interested to hear about what is so great about other Asian airlines. Oh and I have flown Thai and their BC is nothing special either.

Enlighten me and don't tell me about First Class because that is comparing Apples to Oranges and I won't ever be up there.

svyturys
June 27th, 2013, 04:29
The point is, if you like Asian guys, you're really missing out on a lot if you only stay in Thailand.
Well again I can't agree more with BL. Whilst Thailand might seem an irreplaceable destination for both sex tourists and genuine holidaymakers, more adventurous ones are rewarded with an unforgettable new experience. I would get bloody bored going to the same country all the time, while so many are waiting to be discovered and explored. But then I suspect most of the people here are only interested in the sex bit. And no doubt that Thailand is well geared for them.
When it comes to different nationalities, it would be unfair to single out one particular. They all got something about them. Many, including BL, are disillusioned with mainland Chinese but then people can't comprehend what a huge nation that is, and naturally it boasts a specific character, often alien to westerners. I've dated quiet a few here in London. All of them were students from a wealthy background so not sure how accurate my observations are but they can definitely be rude or even a slightly arrogant. Or maybe it's just how they are. These are probably cultural differences. They may not perceive their actions as being wrong in any way. If to compare them with honkies (and we've got a lot of them her in London), they come across as more genuine than the latter. Though I love honkies (HK) as well. My prettiest oriental lover was a honky. He has relocated but I still can't forget his stunning beauty.

aot871
June 27th, 2013, 08:11
This subject seems to have become one about which airline one uses , my question was how old do you think you would be before you stopped flying to Thailand, and why ?

francois
June 27th, 2013, 09:15
... my question was how old do you think you would be before you stopped flying to Thailand, and why ?

80 yo; why because I will likely be dead by then

joe552
June 27th, 2013, 14:08
For me, it would be less about my actual age, and more about my physical ability. I'm not sure I'd travel if I had to be in a wheelchair to get on the plane. But who knows how you will feel when that time might come - the lure of Thailand may make it seem worth the hassle.

Nirish guy
June 27th, 2013, 14:11
Usually I normally feel more like I need a wheelchair on the way HOME from trips these days from general over exertion - in every department !! :-) lol

June 27th, 2013, 14:41
Tired of Pattaya tried of life eh? As the Thais say "dol-air". http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/Stickman ... -Today.htm (http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/StickmanWeeklyColumn2013/Pattaya-Today.htm)

Beachlover
June 27th, 2013, 15:45
As to whether it's worth flying to Thailand just for a 1-2 week holiday... Well, if I had to fly 20-30 hours in economy as Scottish talks about, I would say NO.

But my flight is only 9 hours (or a bit more if I'm visiting somewhere else on the way, which I usually do) and I fly business. Flying into Asia I usually take an afternoon flight (so I still have a productive day in Sydney), watch a few movies and arrive late evening in time for few drinks or a night out. Flying back, I usually take an overnight flight and get a good night's sleep so I lose almost no time at all.

In fact, it's so convenient and hassle free that lately, I've been doing weekend trips just to visit my BF for 2-3 nights. He's been posted over there on a project for a few months. Some weekends I visit him, some weekends he visits me (firm pays for him to fly BC too).

I hate being an apologist for American airlines but. Recently I have flown BC on ANA(ranked #4) Air. Japan and UA. I can't for the life of me why everyone raves about Asian Carriers unless they like to look at pretty female FA"s. UA entertainment center is superior to both of them. Food is relatively the same and the lie flat beds are at least as good .

Also UA does not keep the temps. so high that you are sweating like most Asian carriers. Maybe they have better booze and wine (I don't drink). Now I might fly ANA if the Dreamliner ever can stay in the air because they will have staggered seating in a 2 Class configuration and personal space is important to me.

Interested to hear about what is so great about other Asian airlines. Oh and I have flown Thai and their BC is nothing special either.
Firecat... I don't think it's just Asia that has higher performing airlines than North America and Europe. The Middle-east and Australia/Zealand also do better.

But I don't think we're going to be able to discuss this too fruitfully because the Asian carriers you have experience with are not ones I have flown much or would recommend. Plus, I don't have much experience with American and European airlines to be honest, other than BA (which was shit).

All I can say is...

1. UA, ANA and Air Japan I haven't flown before but I notice ANA got a top ten rating on Skytrax.

2. None of the the three you flew made it into Skytrax Inflight Entertainment Top Ten. But Emirates, Singapore Airlines, Qantas, Cathay and Virgin Australia did and I fly these regularly. Haven't flown UA so can't give an opinion on how it compares to the five I mentioned.

3. You mentioned THAI but I would not count that as among the better Asian airlines and I agree their business class is nothing special.

If you check out this year's Skytrax awards, Top Ten Overall, Top Ten for IFE and Top Ten for Cabin Staff, you'll notice the ONLY North American or European airline to make it into any one of those 30 spots is Virgin Atlantic. The other 29 spots are Australian, New Zealand, Asian or Middle-eastern airlines.

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-new ... 2ohsx.html (http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/worlds-best-airline-named-as-qantas-soars-back-into-top-10-20130619-2ohsx.html)

I guess I'm just grateful that the part of the world where I live and travel to and from the most is serviced by the better half of airlines.

Having said that, I pay $4,000-$5,000 each time I fly into Asia and that does take a significant chunk out of my finances. Only China Southern is a bit cheaper but that's justified by their vastly inferior BC product.

Where as here, I've read about you guys managing to get business class from Europe for as little as $2,000 or $3,000, despite that being a longer distance to fly (recalling posts by Atri666 and others).

Beachlover
June 27th, 2013, 15:54
Thailand might seem an irreplaceable destination for both sex tourists
Well, even though prostitution is available elsewhere in Asia, that's what it comes down to for a lot of people. No other place in Asia has such a visible and easily accessible commercial prostitution scene.

I would get bloody bored going to the same country all the time, while so many are waiting to be discovered and explored
Yep... me too. What I used to do is visit a new country in Asia every few months. After visiting that country and on my way home, I would stop by one of my favourite cities, Bangkok, Singapore, KL or Hong Kong. Hence, Thailand became a regular place for me to visit.

They all got something about them.
Yeah, that's what I love about South East Asia... a melting pot of different types and nationalities to become familiar with and always new countries to explore.

Many, including BL, are disillusioned with mainland Chinese
I've spent significant time in Mainland China and know its culture fairly well. Yes, it is a massive country and the people from one end of the country can be quite different (in looks and personality) to the other end. I find guys from the Southern half of China more attractive.

I know why its people are like that and it has much to do with its history and what its people went through. I was generalising when I made those comments and you can find nice Mainland Chinese guys are aren't like that and some who even dislike their own people for being so crude... but they are a bit rarer. The attitude may be different, depending on their background (wealthy or poor) but a lot of the habits, mentality and values don't change much.

kittyboy
June 27th, 2013, 19:10
My heuristic for flying is about 2 hours per time zone. I flew to bkk from the American west coast and the Chicago area and those are 9 and 11 time zones respectively from bkk or about 18 to 22 flight time with lay overs. Add in travel time to the airport, airport check in, and travel time from bkk airport and I regularly had 24 to 28 hours of travel to get to Thailand.

I am in china now and dread going back to the USA as I am older fatter and more uncomfortable on planes. I have been looking at flights on Korean air with 10 hour layovers in Inchon....get off the plane pop a Xanax sleep for 6hours in the airport hotel then complete the flight.

christianpfc
June 27th, 2013, 19:48
I would get bloody bored going to the same country all the time, while so many are waiting to be discovered and explored.

I wouldn't. There is plenty to see in Thailand, much more than just Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and Chiang Mai. I could travel Thailand for years if I had the money and time. In addition, after learning the language, I have the advantage that I can get around everywhere in Thailand. If I traveled elsewhere, I would start at point zero (i.e. only relying on English).

timmberty
June 27th, 2013, 21:34
svy ... do you live in the same country all the time when you are not travelling ? if so i would imagine you must be bored stiff of it now ... if you can get bored spending 3 or 4 weeks a time in a foreign land even if it is the same one, then the other 9 or 10 months of the year must be total hell.

Beachlover
July 17th, 2013, 08:56
I forget you guys living over in Europe and North America have to deal with the massive time difference too... where as for me most of Asia is only a 1 to 3 hour time difference. I can leave Sydney after lunch and arrive in Singapore or Bangkok in time for supper and cocktails.

I would get bloody bored going to the same country all the time, while so many are waiting to be discovered and explored.
I wouldn't. There is plenty to see in Thailand, much more than just Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and Chiang Mai. I could travel Thailand for years if I had the money and time. In addition, after learning the language, I have the advantage that I can get around everywhere in Thailand. If I traveled elsewhere, I would start at point zero (i.e. only relying on English).
You're right that there is plenty to see in Thailand but I would never stick to Thailand for so many trips when there are so many other interesting countries (and all kinds of interesting hot guys!) to explore around Asia. It would be like sticking to Irish beer when they brew some great stuff over in Belgium, Germany, Japan (some amazing beer) and other parts of the world too.

After my first couple of trips to Thailand, I only ever dropped by it on my way back from other countries.

It's what you don't know you don't know.

I used to find guys in Taiwan, Singapore and Hong Kong really hot and so easy to charm into my hotel bed... Good memories.

thaiguest
July 17th, 2013, 10:43
out if interest I wonder do you pick your seat Joe, I always make a point if I can get it of selecting the aisle seat right at the back of the plane where they have a 3 and a 2 set up which means I sometimes either get the two to myself or at least only get one person sitting beside me and also I've found that for some reason all the baby brigade tend to select up front so they are usually out of earshot ( plus I bring ear plugs) although on my last trip back from vegas there last week much to my horror I was "placed" in the middle of a row of three bang in the middle of the plane sandwiched between a large American lady and gentleman ! However much to my surprise I think the body heat thing must have got to me and I slept like a baby foe the full 7 odd hours ( mind you not sleeping for two nights before that in Vegas may also have helped I guess ! :-)
You're right about the baby brigade upfront-in fact the baby benches/shelves are usually up front opposite the big-leg room seats. A few times I had plenty of room to toss and turn amid the squealing varmints . Why do people still make these mini-humans?

latintopxxx
July 17th, 2013, 12:26
sounds like a whole bunch of excuses NOT to travel...I come across countles s old gits in the 65+ age bracket out and about having a good time...love chatting to the straight retired old postal worker fuckerrs on their тВм2000/month pensions having the time of their life in Pattaya......occasionally come across the wealthier ones who seem to be having their second lives....new families...twinkle in their eyes...

Sooty
July 17th, 2013, 14:38
I can leave Sydney after lunch and arrive in Singapore or Bangkok in time for supper and cocktails.A completely fatuous claim that is easily disproved by anyone who wants to check flight schedules on the Sydney Airport Web site.

Beachlover
July 17th, 2013, 15:08
Eh... have flown between Sydney and Singapore and done just that dozens and dozens of times. It is a fairly late arrival (after 9-10pm) so too late for normal dinner time but still early enough to grab a quick meal before going out for drinks or clubbing. Rarely fly direct between Sydney and Bangkok but also done it on that route and it is possible on multiple airlines if I recall correctly.

Old git
July 17th, 2013, 16:07
When I fly, I now pay the little bit extra and fly direct with Thai from London

The outbound overnight flight that arrives mid afternoon local time is perfect for getting to your location, checking-in to your hotel and then hitting the town afterwards.

Coming home I take the midnight flight, which is effectively one very long night flight, arriving early, local time in London. I find it quite easy to adjust after that.

So I don't feel too old for Thailand, but do feel too old for Pattaya now. It's just too noisy, and a bit too sleazy for my liking.

I'm a bit bored with the go-go scene too, and rather prefer a tranquill idyll to the noise of the city..

July 17th, 2013, 16:29
Well sometimes I get the TG flight from good old Brisbane but I have to check in at lunch time because the flight leaves just after 2pm and gets me to Swampy after 8pm. Cocktales are usually drunken before dinner but I guess Beachbore has different habits. By the time I get to me hotel its well after 9pm nearly 10pm so I guess thats supper time for some. So do I leave after lunch and get to my hotel in time for cocktales and supper? Big ask IMHO and even more so if I was going to Pattaya but as we all agree Beachbore has a great imagination.

Krazy4thai
July 17th, 2013, 16:51
I can leave Sydney after lunch and arrive in Singapore or Bangkok in time for supper and cocktails.A completely fatuous claim that is easily disproved by anyone who wants to check flight schedules on the Sydney Airport Web site.

Not so fatuous Sooty. Maybe not so much post lunch , moreso around noon, depending what time BL considers cocktail time it's quite do-able. On this trip I left Sydney at 9-30am (7.30 am Thai time) after 9 hours in the flying tin-can I was in BKK @ around 4-30pm, Pattaya around 7pm, taking into account airport bullshit, although luckily immigration was empty apart from my fellow travelers, the longest wait was for the luggage carousel.
i would take BL to task over Qantas being a good airline. The only part which was acceptable was ADL - Syd, only 90mins on a Boeing 787, After transfer, although ticket said A330-300 to LOS it was a crappy old A330,

Normally I try to avoid Qantas as the attendants are too old and jaded to bother with passengers too much. BA is the same as I had to fly BA Syd-Bkk last year (still code-sharing). Unfortunately new partner Emirates, dont fly SE Asia.
I can only try to imagine the nightmare 20+ hours UK citizens have to endure. Seems to me the layover option is the only way they can break up the nightmare flying times. To think I complained when Oz to Thailand flying time increased from 7-9 hours post 747s.
I flew Qantas this time as I scored a cheap fare by booking last October when the following year's specials are released. Bugger me if Malaysia didn't do an $800 fare 2 weeks before I flew, would have been less hassle as Malaysia fly direct from ADL , in the same 9 hour time frame, much better airline tho. Qantas layovers in Syd are too long for a smoker (average 4 hours), this fare only 90 min LO. Malaysia is usually 4-5 hour LO in KL, which has a smoking area), but 5 hours cuts into that all important 1st night's carousing I'm so eager to do .
So in my case door to door roughly 13.5 hours. As for seating, by the loos wouldn't thrill me, smell mostly and I cant sleep on planes, night flight or day. Seat 30/31 aisle suits me. Used to like window but climbing over people to go pee-pee doesn't thrill me. Also the jag-offs that take 10 mins to organise themselves (and make their vitally important FB entry)means queuing longer to get off the plane which annoys me more than the flight crap., sitting at the rear can mean 15 mins + to get off the plane. Passengers on planes crap me off more than flying times. :nud: Next year might consider paying my offs a more realistic low season fee and upgrade to business class. :laughing3:

aot871
July 17th, 2013, 18:29
I don't know where Krazy4thai got his timings from ( uk travellers 20+hours ) a direct flt from LHR is aprox 10 hours outbound and 13 Hours going back , on BA

Beachlover
July 17th, 2013, 21:54
I usually go to Bangkok, not Pattaya so I don't have that extra 1-2 hours of transit time.

If I go out clubbing, it's usually around midnight. So I don't need to arrive any earlier than 10-11pm unless I want to have dinner there too. In Bangkok, as it is in Singapore, you can get a bite to eat outside your hotel at any time of the night. And inside the hotel, there's always room service. I usually come off the plane fairly well fed though.

I usually expect to be in my hotel room within 60 mins of landing in Bangkok, assuming no checked luggage, which is how I usually travel. Same with Singapore.

The thing with flying into Asia is there's usually a 2-3 hour time gain so it's easy to depart afternoon and arrive evening. Flying back the opposite takes "longer" so I usually do an overnight flight back. Depart evening and arrive early morning. Almost lose no time at all. Lately, I've even done a few weekend (long weekend 3-4 nights) trips as my partner is working on a project abroad and I have a few things to keep an eye on at home.

Maybe not so much post lunch , moreso around noon, depending what time BL considers cocktail time it's quite do-able. On this trip I left Sydney at 9-30am (7.30 am Thai time) after 9 hours in the flying tin-can I was in BKK @ around 4-30pm, Pattaya around 7pm
Outwards to Singapore from Sydney, I usually take a flight that departs around 3-4pm (depending on daylight saving). This means I can usually have lunch and leave for the airport around 1 or 1:30pm or later if it's a 4:15 flight. I arrive in Singapore around 9:30pm. Into my hotel by around 10:30-11pm and time for a shower and maybe a bite with friends before heading out drinking or clubbing. Perfect timing for me. I can have a productive morning in Sydney and be out drinking in Singapore the same night.

Outwards to Bangkok direct, I forget the exact times but it's similar, other than adding on 1-2 hours. Still enough time for a drink or two at one of the nice rooftop cocktail bars before heading to the clubs, if we feel like it.

i would take BL to task over Qantas being a good airline
I prefer Virgin over Qantas for domestic but I still think Qantas is a decent airline, certainly very good compared to most airlines around the world. It's far from perfect but overall quality of its product is to a fairly high standard.

Having said that, I would fly SIA over Qantas any day. I see they're about to update their cabin product again, even though their business class is already a fantastic product: http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/trav ... 2po3v.html (http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/travel/travel-news/singapore-airlines-unveils-new-interiors-20130709-2po3v.html) ... Shame they don't intend to fit the new cabins to the A380s yet though.

Rush, Yet Again
July 18th, 2013, 02:53

Good catch, Sooty. But you forgot The Beach only flies the Dreamliner and his flight times are a case of mind over matter.

Sooty
July 18th, 2013, 14:01
I can leave Sydney after lunch and arrive in Singapore or Bangkok in time for supper and cocktails.A completely fatuous claim that is easily disproved by anyone who wants to check flight schedules on the Sydney Airport Web site.Not so fatuous Sooty. Maybe not so much post lunch , moreso around noonOh silly me. Why yes, if by "after lunch" Beachlover means "well before lunch" ie. 10am then his remarks are not fatuous at all. I must try harder next time.
Unfortunately new partner Emirates, dont fly SE Asia.Obviously Krazy4thai is another who struggles with airlines and their schedules. Emirates - and again it's easy to find on the Sydney Airport Web site let alone the Emirates Web site - fly every day between Sydney and Bangkok. They also fly every day between Brisbane and Singapore and six days a week between Melbourne and Kuala Lumpur. Call me old-fashioned but Bangkok, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur are all ... let me think now ... in SE Asia aren't they?

Beachlover
July 19th, 2013, 10:41
A completely fatuous claim that is easily disproved by anyone who wants to check flight schedules on the Sydney Airport Web site.
Good catch, Sooty.
Yes... Good work Copernicus. :rolling:

A completely fatuous claim that is easily disproved by anyone who wants to check flight schedules on the Sydney Airport Web site.Not so fatuous Sooty. Maybe not so much post lunch , moreso around noonOh silly me. Why yes, if by "after lunch" Beachlover means "well before lunch" ie. 10am then his remarks are not fatuous at all. I must try harder next time.
Krazy4thai flies out of Adelaide, which is not a major hub so it makes sense he would need to leave earlier in the morning. Me, I fly out of Sydney and can leave well after lunch and still make it to Bangkok that evening. It's the same for Singapore, KL and Hong Kong.

dab69
July 21st, 2013, 23:55
http://bangkokbois.files.wordpress.com/ ... ach-61.jpg (http://bangkokbois.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/lifes-a-beach-61.jpg)

http://bangkokbois.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/lifes-a-beach-61.jpg

I just love those Sunday Funnies

joe552
July 22nd, 2013, 00:29
they are brilliant - always a good laugh