PDA

View Full Version : is tuis place still open

jackieboy
June 22nd, 2013, 07:46
is tuis place on dontang beach still open used to have meals there last year and the year before, there web site is still up but no comments on trip advisor since january this year?

CHAOTOU
June 23rd, 2013, 04:22
I have stayed at Tui's Place several times a year since about 2006. I was last there in April, 2013, so as of April this year, it was indeed still open.
However, there were many changes when I was there in April and may have been more since April.

If you ever stayed at Tui's Guesthouse you will remember that Tui's consists of two joined buildings. There are three floors of guest rooms in each.
Tui's restaurant was basically run out of the building on the right-hand side (if looking at it from the beach) with seating on the entire patio area.

Late last year, Tui's ex-partner, Jean, had a second kitchen built for his current boyfriend to run a second restaurant out of the guest house. The second kitchen
and new restaurant "Aquarius" is now run out of the left-hand side of the first floor. And in the spirit of cooperation a wall was built between the two. The wall is glass with a sliding door which was at least left open when I was there.

Shortly after Aquarius opened Tui's restaurant closed. They were still renting rooms in the guesthouse however.

My experience in April: Aquarius open, Tui's restaurant side closed, and dark. If you could get anyone to return an email or answer the phone they would rent you a room. However, when you arrive if Tui wasn't there to meet you (and chances are, he won't be) the staff at Aquarius including Jean will NOT welcome you warmly. Expect the opposite! Tui mentioned he hoped to get some funding or a partner to reopen his side of the restaurant and the current plan was to keep the guesthouse open.

Assuming he is successful in reopening his restaurant, there will be need to be some adjustments in business practices and attitude and a spirit of cooperation that right now does not exist to make one, two or all three of these businesses successful.

Local friends who work on the beach have told me that Tui has reopened his restaurant since April. But, I have no idea how things are doing. Will have to wait until my next visit to find out.

But, as far as I know if you only want a meal there is at least one and maybe two restaurants operating in the location that you know as "Tui's Place."

jackieboy
June 23rd, 2013, 05:24
thanks chaotou your reply was helpful i have stayed at tuis before neil dealt with my booking was there to meet us when we arived and was very helpful throughout our stay, i emailed him at the begining of this year but recieved no reply now i know why thanks again