PDA

View Full Version : EVA AIR steep price increases

ainamor
June 21st, 2013, 16:38
Looking at the EVA Air website today may be a bit of a shock for people that fly Premier Laurel London /BK from December this year. Last April the return flight booked through EVA Air website was ┬г1722 as from December that price increases to ┬г2798.

Oliver
June 21st, 2013, 19:39
This is probably the result of the refurbishment of the Premier Laurel cabin , including the installation of flat-bed seats. Other classes have not seen rises.
I've just booked my Elite seat for my next trip; it was ┬г80 cheaper for October than May.

Up2U
June 21st, 2013, 22:12
This sounds like the same pricing plan EVA uses on their USA - Asia routes. They release a block of tickets at one price level and later release another block with completely different prices. Check their site often and I bet you will get a much better fare. Timing is important so don't get too discouraged and give up hope.

egel
June 21st, 2013, 22:20
Agree with the others... it is a try on.
Other airlines (particualrly Qatar) do exactly the same and then all of a sudden there is an Offer.
Dont buy at that price.

rincondog
June 21st, 2013, 22:52
You really don't seem to understand airline pricing. Of course prices for flights in December will be higher than prices in April. Airline prices fluctuate based on season and can change hourly, daily, weekly or monthly. December is peak season and of course the highest price. Will prices for December come down, maybe or it may in fact increase based on the airlines computer algorithms of how many seats have sold and other factors.

Marsilius
June 21st, 2013, 23:10
I booked and paid deposits for two EVA business class seats Heathrow-Bangkok for December 2013 back in January. At some point around April this year, my travel agent said that there would be a dramatic price increase from about ┬г2000 per return trip to about ┬г2700 per return trip. That could, though, be avoided if, within the week, I paid the originally agreed price in full. That I did.

He said that the increase was caused by the huge cost EVA had incurred in putting a new configuration of fully horizontal flat bed seats into business class ( up until now they have had "beds" that sloped, rather than being completely flat, and were decidedly uncomfortable and awkward as you gradually slid down them during the flight.)

ainamor
June 22nd, 2013, 00:44
You really don't seem to understand airline pricing. Of course prices for flights in December will be higher than prices in April. Airline prices fluctuate based on season and can change hourly, daily, weekly or monthly. December is peak season and of course the highest price. Will prices for December come down, maybe or it may in fact increase based on the airlines computer algorithms of how many seats have sold and other factors.

I certainly do understand the pricing structure of airlines. I fly the London/Bangkok route with EVA Air every six weeks so I am aware as to why the prices have increased. The flat beds are being introduced on that route in August but the fares will not increase until early December.

My point was, as I wrote, from December the prices quoted on the EVA Air website have increased to around ┬г2798 but they have not dropped ( on the website) in mid-January when the high shoulder fares generally end, they are shown at the higher price through to May and beyond.

Personally the fares do not bother me as they are a business expense but a colleague I was looking for for a holiday flight in late April got a bit of a shock. :crybaby:

arsenal
June 22nd, 2013, 08:47
A brief look at opodo with businesss class flights from London to Bangkok flying out Dec 1st and returning Dec 13th gave a whole load of choices including Thai Airways for under ┬г2000. Airline websites are almost always more expensive than other websites. I have never quite understood why.

Sooty
June 22nd, 2013, 12:25
Looking at the EVA Air website today may be a bit of a shock for people that fly Premier Laurel London /BK from December this year. Last April the return flight booked through EVA Air website was ┬г1722 as from December that price increases to ┬г2798.I'm flying on Etihad for ┬г1113.

ultimo
June 22nd, 2013, 13:18
I notice on TV here in Pattaya that they are advertising the airline, through BBC or Aljazeera, particularly as now being part of 'Star Alliance'. That must be costing them something. Perhaps it is being reflected in some of their seat prices!

Oliver
June 22nd, 2013, 15:30
EVA has been part of the Star Alliance for at least ten years.
I maintain that Premier Laurel price rises are the result of the cabin-improvements noted above.
When it comes to Econ and Elite prices , there has been a change over the past few months. EVA have simplified their pricing and there is more uniformity.
Best of all, tickets are cheaper, at least in Elite.
Another issue of interest to those of us who fly regularly; the cheapest offers up to now (from bucket-shops and EVA's website) have involved a particular "class" which does not allow for mileage accrual.
A number of us found ourselves unexpectedly down-graded form Gold to Silver membership as a result of this. The new structure is much simplified and this is no longer the case. The ticket I bought a few days ago allows for mileage accrual and (as stated previously) is much cheaper than the last one.

Brad the Impala
June 22nd, 2013, 15:49
EVA has been part of the Star Alliance for at least ten years.

That's surprising as I just received an email from Eva that announced;

Dear Member,

We are delighted to share the news that EVA Air officially joined Star Alliance on June 18, 2013.

Marsilius
June 22nd, 2013, 17:34
Confirmation that EVA has joined Star Alliance in 2013...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_alliance