PDA

View Full Version : One hell of a night.

catawampuscat
June 4th, 2006, 09:53
I have noticed the British wrinkly crowd , usully sporting blond hair and big teeth, adore the ancient hag shows and really get a kick out
of the painted ladies who should have hung up their wigs and falsies 50 or 60 years ago.. I admit I am not a fan of drag shows but
at least when the drag queens are under 40, there is an illusion, but when they top 70 y.o. it is just absurd.. Why ugly fat old men think
that putting on ridiculous clothes,wigs, and makeup, is entertainment, is beyond me but then again so was the worship of Judy Garland and all
the "get her" and who does "she" think "she is" type conversations, so so popular among queeny gay men back in the 1950's &60's ..

I don't like Thai drag either but at least when they are attractive and slender, it is understandable but when they bring on a drag queen who
is made up to be ugly, with missing teeth etc. the Thais gay boys love it ... Maybe I am missing the gay drag queen gene but I have noticed
the crowd at these events gets older every year.. Maybe the old drag queens will just fade away but I doubt it..

Funny how so many love elderly drag queens and just the opposite age-wise when it comes to the boys in Sunee... :cat:

June 4th, 2006, 12:11
... made famous not only by dusty springfield but The King himself Elvis Presley, as Im dining with him on friday Ill wind him up letting him know he missed a wonderful evening flitting round the world first class, must be so boring.

You really do have the exclusives lmtu. So The King is alive and well and living in Pattaya! :cheers:

Actualy thanks for the update. I was intrending to get along to the Bondi but was otherwise distracted. I hope everyone had a good night.

June 4th, 2006, 13:10
Thank you catawampuscat. At last someone who shares my opinion on drag and other outdated gay stereotypes.

However, not knocking the CHARITABLE aspect the event under discussion.

bkkguy
June 4th, 2006, 13:47
I am no fan of drag either, but there is drag and there is drag

acts like the Dolly Sisters or most Thai drag acts have their sets of costumes and songs they lip-sync to and are just like wind-up dolls on stage and are fairly boring after the first one or two times - anyone can throw on a costume and lip-sync to a popular song (though some do it better than others) but there is usually no personality, no originality

but Maisie on the other hand is a real performer - she really sings, ad-libs, has a good sense of humour and knows how to work an audience and how to entertain, she has a real stage presence and is always worth going to see whether she is 40, 70 or 100!

bkkguy

June 4th, 2006, 14:15
I am no fan of drag either, but there is drag and there is drag
acts like the Dolly Sisters or most Thai drag acts have their sets of costumes and songs they lip-sync to and are just like wind-up dolls on stage and are fairly boring after the first one or two times - anyone can throw on a costume and lip-sync to a popular song (though some do it better than others) but there is usually no personality, no originality but Maisie, on the other hand, is a real performer--she really sings, ad-libs, has a good sense of humour and knows how to work an audience and how to entertain, she has a real stage presence and is always worth going to see whether she is 40, 70 or 100!bkkguy

Lipsynca be damned, 100% agreed!
My six-year-old friend can lip-sync...has Brittany Spaniel down cold, Saline Ding Dong is priceless!...And he's already mastered stiletto heels!

Maisie! Long may she wave!

Marsha-old
June 4th, 2006, 18:12
am no fan of drag either, but there is drag and there is drag
acts like the Dolly Sisters or most Thai drag acts have their sets of costumes and songs they lip-sync to and are just like wind-up dolls on stage and are fairly boring after the first one or two times - anyone can throw on a costume and lip-sync to a popular song (though some do it better than others) but there is usually no personality, no originality but Maisie, on the other hand, is a real performer--she really sings, ad-libs, has a good sense of humour and knows how to work an audience and how to entertain, she has a real stage presence and is always worth going to see whether she is 40, 70 or 100!bkkguy

I have to agree withe comments about the drag acts dolly sisters. They are 1 of the worst drag acts i have ever seen Yet they think there big Superstars here in Pattaya. One of them always strips, which is absolutley disgusting.

jolyjacktar
June 4th, 2006, 18:31
Drag is old and borring. I know the old Queen is raising money which is a good thing, but i see nothing entertaining watching some old crow lip sync.
Ive never been a fan of this type of show and to see all the old gits sitting there drooling over the show makes me laugh out loads. Just another reason not to visit Bondi if this is there entertainment standard.
Give me 6 young sailor guys dancing to the hornpipe anyday. Or a lusty sailor boy dancing the Blue peter, now thats entertainment SHIPMATES

TrongpaiExpat
June 4th, 2006, 18:54
Ive never been a fan of this type of show and to see all the old gits sitting there drooling over the show makes me laugh out loads. Just another reason not to visit Bondi if this is there entertainment standard.

I can't tell from this critisism and most of the other's if they were there and did not like the show or are you all just bitchin bout these shows in general.

I was there and I have to say that "she's" not the typical drag show. I don't like drag but sorta enjoyed the whole night. They raised over 57,000B.

Yes, the crowd was a bit on the git side and mostly British, so what. Most were Expats.

Bondi usual entertainment is two Thai singers, not drag, and they seem to be doing a pretty good business.

Aunty
June 4th, 2006, 21:36
Why Edith I'm surprised you didn't go up on stage and perform under your old drag name. Ima Hoar. Or was that your real name? :geek:

June 4th, 2006, 23:28
have noticed the British wrinkly crowd , usully sporting blond hair and big teeth, adore the ancient hag shows and really get a kick out
of the painted ladies who should have hung up their wigs and falsies 50 or 60 years ago..OK it may be true that you have covered the lot there and it is odd how as chaps grow older their hair grows blonder by the day..but this was a fab night and Maisie is a trooper.

As Oscar Wilde famously said: "If you hate drag you are sick of life" or something similar or was it LMTU ?

Anyway it isn't yet compulsorary to attend these shows or even like drag but it is becoming almost compulsory to love Britney Spears and every other boring old five minute wonder who comes along and belts out the same tired old crap re-written a thousand different ways so kids can bob their heads mindlessly and hand over millions in the process.

So give the old girls a break I say and enjoy them while they're still around( and that includes me..and I was not that gorgeous creature in the amazing black hat ).

I even saw the well known David Raven walking along the beachfront today and informed him that the act he stole from the sensational Maisie Trotette and performed at La Cage the other night was far better when performed by the real thing !!!!
He looked at me like i was mad !..what a strange man.

bkkguy
June 5th, 2006, 03:22
[i] As Oscar Wilde famously said: "If you hate drag you are sick of life" or something similar or was it LMTU ?

yes, we are all sick of LMTU

bkkguy

Jetsam
June 5th, 2006, 03:24
Bondi usual entertainment is two Thai singers

And they sing Dutch songs on request :cheers:

June 5th, 2006, 04:32
A drag show now and again breaks the monotony. even the very bad ones can make u laugh!

June 5th, 2006, 11:55
DELETED

June 5th, 2006, 12:09
Not a fan of drag but I have seen some good stuff in my time.

The best I had seen were"

Her Imperial Highness Regina Fong (sadly departed) at the Black Cap in London
Lily Savage - seen live only once by me at the No.1 Club in Manchester - her and her little pet fox or whatever it was scared the shit out of me.
Julian Clary / The Joan Collins Fan Club - unseen by me live and not your typical drag but will remain loved for comments such as 'what have you come as' and for talking live on tv about the then Chancellor of the Exchequor (No2 In the British Government) saying "I've just been fisting Norman Lamont ..." the rest of the comment lost as the audience died laughing.
Eddie Izzard - Drag? Who knows, seen live by me once at a packed Odeon in Manchester and the only guy who has ever made me fall of my seat laughing without telling a single joke.

As for Prescilla, Queen of the Desert, Terrence Stamp was fabulous and Guy Pearce's arse was to die for.

June 5th, 2006, 16:24
OK it may be true that you have covered the lot there and it is odd how as chaps grow older their hair grows blonder by the day...

As Oscar Wilde famously said: "If you hate drag you are sick of life" or something similar or was it LMTU ?

Proof the hair continues to grow after death! The yellow is a natural result of aging: Like L & M's old white undies.

Poor Oscar; so often misquoted. What he really said was, "If you hate dick you are sick!"

I know she's everywhere but was LMTU around then?
Oops, just received a PM from dear old (And I do mean old!) Aunty: they were in different public schools together. Aunty attended the one named after Hamlet's girlfriend and her love of hiking: The Ped Ophelia Academy.

BTW, Aunty: My (Last--I changed them so often I was the hydra of strippers.) stage name was Tempest Fug-it: one of those posh hyphenated-names--And you know very well twas you and your twin sister, Aunty Christ, who worked as Ima Hoar and Ura Hoar, which you stole from the Texas Hogg sisters thinking some of their class might rub off...and it did....If you leave off the C and the L. :cheers:

June 6th, 2006, 03:45
Lily Savage is one of the greats but I'm not too sure I ever liked Julian Clary although he is Godfather to the son of a very good friend of mine and I met him once and he seems a lovely chap. His godson had taken to wearing quilted dressing gowns around the house, feigning a bored with everything attitude at the age of 11 and declaring he wanted to grow up just like his Godfather !!

Eddie Izzard is of course a genius and certainly a new type of drag and Boygeroge..you are correct for the first time in your life.

Priscilla Queen Of the Desert is being made into a musical..which lets face it is just another ABBA show and hopefully should revive the fortumes of the writer and director of that film Stephan Elliott whose career snowdived when he walked out of Hollywood announcing to the media all the movie execs were "creeps".

As for Carlotta who is one of those famous Aussie drag queens ( sex-change) she did once appear in a spectacular review at the Wimbledon Theatre in London with 20 beautiful boys in dresses and scenery like a Busby Berkley musical..the opening night had an audience of 30 pensioners and God ony knows what they thought but the show folded in one day.

Correct Edith: LMTU was around during Oscar's time and was asked to appear as a rent boy witness for the prosecution and graciously refused..after my sensible advice .

June 6th, 2006, 03:46
Lily Savage is one of the greats but I'm not too sure I ever liked Julian Clary although he is Godfather to the son of a very good friend of mine and I met him once and he seems a lovely chap. His godson had taken to wearing quilted dressing gowns around the house, feigning a bored with everything attitude at the age of 11 and declaring he wanted to grow up just like his Godfather !!

Eddie Izzard is of course a genius and certainly a new type of drag and Boygeroge..you are correct for the first time in your life.

Priscilla Queen Of the Desert is being made into a musical..which lets face it is just another ABBA show and hopefully should revive the fortumes of the writer and director of that film Stephan Elliott whose career snowdived when he walked out of Hollywood announcing to the media all the movie execs were "creeps".

As for Carlotta who is one of those famous Aussie drag queens ( sex-change) she did once appear in a spectacular review at the Wimbledon Theatre in London with 20 beautiful boys in dresses and scenery like a Busby Berkley musical..the opening night had an audience of 30 pensioners and God ony knows what they thought but the show folded in one day.

Correct Edith: LMTU was around during Oscar's time and was asked to appear as a rent boy witness for the prosecution and graciously refused..after my sensible advice .