PDA

View Full Version : License for motorcy....

donald1
June 13th, 2013, 17:58
Well, I am about to take the plunge and buy myself a motorcy.
Just a scooter actually.
I have scoured the internet for exactly what I need as far as license.
and absolutely nothing is current and everything is contradictory.
If one of you good folk who has indeed undergone what I am
about to do, please tell me where I can get "the right" answers.
Can I use my Australian lic. for 1 year? Must I get a Thai lic?
Help please.
Also, I am a grown man I don t need you naysayers telling me how
dangerous it is. Thank You.

SoiVC Slut-old
June 13th, 2013, 19:00
This might be of some help:

http://www.thaivisa.com/thai-driving-license.html

francois
June 13th, 2013, 22:30
From what I heard, best to get a motorcy license in your home country; then get an International Drivers Permit with a motorcycle endorsement. This is supposed to make it easier to get your Thai drivers/motorcycle license.

billyhouston
June 14th, 2013, 04:44
In Chiang Mai an IDP with motorcycle endorsement got me both Thai car and motorcycle licences, though I've no intention of using the latter. Having an IDP meant that the only tests involved were the 'reaction' test and that for colour-blindness. Initially these were of the 1-year 'Temporary' variety subsequently becoming the 5-year version when renewed.

Transport in CM were adamant that a tourist visa was inadequate for a 5-year licence and a non-immigrant was needed.

http://donslifeinthailand.com/Thai-Drivers-License-2.html even has photographs showing where to turn off the Hang Dong Road to enter the Chiang Mai traffic department.

2lz2p
June 14th, 2013, 08:23
If you are already in Thailand, you are supposed to have an International Driving Permit (IDP) ALONG with your Australian Driving License although some may tell you they have used only their home country(state) driving license. Even if you have both, if you are in Thailand for more than 90 days, it is my understanding you are required to have a Thai Driving License - there are separate licenses for motorcy and automobiles.

The local Land Transport Office is where you apply for Thai Driving Licenses - procedures may vary somewhat between these offices, but generally, if you have an IDP AND home country driving license, it will need to show that you are licensed to drive a motorcy if that is the license you are applying for - as mentioned, only the "reaction" and "eye" tests will be required - along with photocopies from passport, a medical certificate (get from clinic or hospital), and a residence certificate (some may tell you to get from your Embassy, but you can also get one your local Thai Immigration Office which is usually less costly and easier than getting one from your Embassy).

If you do not have an IDP, some Land Transport Offices may accept only your home country driving license and not require any tests and some may not. But, as mentioned, the license must clearly show it covers the operation of a motorcy as that is the license you will want to apply for. If the Land Transport Office does not accept your home country license, you will be required to take a written test and driving test - there are separate tests for car and for motorcy (if you don't have a motorcy available for the test, there are usually several people there more than willing to let you use their motorcy for a hundred Baht or so).

The first license you will receive will be good for one year - after that, you can apply for a 5 year license. A residency and medical certificate is again required (but medical certificates are not required when renewing the 5 year license - at least not at the Banglamung (Pattaya) Land Transport Office).

You may find the information on the Pattaya City Expats Club website of use (includes documents checklist): http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/living%20vehicles.html