PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of any Car hire around Nakhon Phanom area??

Nirish guy
June 12th, 2013, 00:03
As per the subject heading just wondering has anyone any suggestions / options for easy car / truck hire etc of flying into Nakhon Phanom airport? There's nothing instantly obvious and flying into Udon and driving up seems the logical thing to do but it will add another 400km onto my trip that I could do without so if I can find something closer that would be better.

I have found one contact ( Mrs Kun) but she only has one car and seems to be a bit dicey as to availability and insurance etc, so anyone any other suggestions or advice perhaps ?

newalaan2
June 12th, 2013, 10:26
so anyone any other suggestions or advice perhaps ?
Last time in Feb I hired a car in Phuket, I did search around the internet and the company I used was excellent and seem to be at all the thai airports, but maybe just the major ones, they had better insurance than a few of the main hire 'names' with full cover with excess. It might be worth an email just to find out if the have an agent at Nahkom Phanom. Website http://www.thairentacar.com, I found them very helpful when contacting via email regarding insurance/excess etc..

Nirish guy
June 12th, 2013, 11:36
Thank you, I'll definitely check them out, although as you say it appears that NP airport isn't to well supported by any services and Udon is "it" in the area, but it's certainly worth the call to check - especially about the agent part as apparently that Mrs Kun lady was an agent in the airport itself and has now gone out on her own.

Khor tose
June 12th, 2013, 12:36
Irish, i too can recommend them. i used them in Udorn Thani and had no problems with them and I do not take insurance. By law they must have government insurance on the car which take care of medical for the other person and car damage. My credit card covers me for damage to the rental car, but I have to pay the first $250 dollars. I have learned the Thai version of dodge car and so far have never had a wreck here in four years of daily driving, so I take no insurance. If you are not used to driving in Thailand, I would probably recommend you take the extra coverage, but not really necessary.

sunniva
June 19th, 2013, 12:38
OK. I admit it. This isn't very gay.
In case a local has a good reference for a PLUMBER who can speak some English, please PM me and/or post!
Thanks.
There was a reference on another gay board, highly recommended, but he doesn't return my phone calls or even show up even once when he said he would (I waited all day)!

Oliver
June 19th, 2013, 14:33
Have you tried www.fastcarehire.co.uk (http://www.fastcarehire.co.uk)? the company is based in the UK but now has a Thailand office.
Not only are the prices it offers (using all rental companies) extremely good but it is highly efficient.

Nirish guy
June 19th, 2013, 14:54
I hadn't thought of that Oliver as I always assumed the "office in the wherever" just just another name for them acting as an agent for Avis etc, but that's worth a try as the more I look the less I can find up around there.

PS for anyone using that link for their own purposes wherever it should read http://www.fastcarhire.co.uk/ not fact care hire - although seeing as it's Thailand we're discussing fast CARE hire could be a perfect name for a company !! :-)

* edit - OHH actually they DO seem to provide an option for Nakhon Phanom ( or something spelt vaguely like it anyway) but I see on trying to look up the rental depots address it lists it as "Budgets delivery option" so I've an email away to them to check. I should have though of that crowd myself actually as I now remember I used them when going to South Africa and they were spot on, no doubt it IS just a system of independent agents or it's acting as a simple price comparison site or something but whatever and whoever they are it seems to work, so lets hope I get a positive answer back now after my singing their praises !

Oliver
June 20th, 2013, 15:00
Thanks for correcting the name of the website.
If you provide your Thailand address ( in my case it has always been a hotel) the car will be delivered and collected. On time, I've always found. You may have to pay a fee if it is situated a long way from a depot. This happened to me recently in Krabi....but it was only about 500bht. In Chaing Mai, Phuket and Chiang Rai, there was no extra.

I've used the service five times; on four of them, Fastcar gave me a favourable Budget price and once, Hertz.

I was looking at hiring a car in Nakom Phanom only last week and, like you, was initially confused by the spelling on the website.

Nirish guy
June 20th, 2013, 21:20
You're spot on there Oliver, I got a reply back from fast car hire saying exactly what you said I.e there was no depot but they could deliver for a fee ( although I doubt it's anywhere near 500 baht ?) however I've a formal quote request away to them now and they are due to go back to me with an example figure so I'll be sure to post that back here in case it's of mutual interest to you / others.

Nirish guy
June 21st, 2013, 22:48
Just to finish up my last post there for the Boards own reference in case anyone is reading this thread in the future and enquiring about the same topic - fastcarhire did come back to me and confirmed that a) no, there was no rental depot ( of any of their agents anyway) in Nakhom Phanom and b) so yes, there would be an additional delivery and collection charge of at least 3000 baht EACH WAY as the car would have to be brought and returned by them to and from Udon Thani.

Unfortunately in my case as it was only a 4 day hire and considering the actual car rental cost would only have been 5000 baht it more than doubles the rental price - but I guess if anyone's staying up there for longer that still might be an cheaper option than driving from Udon yourself, which I may just end up doing myself if I don't get anything sorted local before then perhaps.