PDA

View Full Version : Eva Premium Economy LHR to BKK?

paulfort
June 8th, 2013, 06:41
I have flown from the UK to Bangkok many times on Gulf Air or Jet Airways and have a decent frequent flyer status with both resulting in a few upgrades in the past. Gulf however have reduced their service and the change of flights with Jet in Mumbai is pretty painful/stressful to say the very least!

I have noticed that Eva Air who fly direct are offering seats in their "Premium Economy" for about ┬г300 more return than either of the above in their standard economy. Does any one have any feedback on this service and is it worth the extra or any view on other airlines ideally from Heathrow to Bangkok?

Mancs
June 8th, 2013, 07:20
I've used Eva twice in economy for LHR to BKK and I like them. I have no experience of premium economy. Thai Air was good too on that route. Eva tends to be a bit economical with alcohol if that is important but good at coming round with non alcoholic drinks and snacks.

SimpleSoul
June 8th, 2013, 09:19
Eva Air is a good airline. Their Premium Economy is well worth the extra money IMHO.

Oliver
June 8th, 2013, 10:53
Agreed.....
extra leg-room and wider seats make a huge difference on a long journey.

The LHR-BKK route costs ┬г850 now in Elite; good value particularly since it is cheaper than it has been for over a year.
Another plus is the arrival/departure times; you arrive in BKK in time to have a meal before attacking jet-lag (which becomes more difficult as I get older) while the return leaves midday and arrives in London in time to go home (if you are not too far from London) and, again, catch up on jet-lag.

I've done the journey on EVA more than sixty times; only once have I been delayed; and that was by about two hours.

francois
June 8th, 2013, 11:31
Which plane does EVA use on this flight? Their Boeing 777 has a pitch of 40" and a width of 19.5" which is good. The 747s have of 38/18 which is still much better than Economy.

Khor tose
June 8th, 2013, 12:50
Before Korean Air flew in and out of Chiang Mai, I always used EVA airlines, and have nothing be good to say about them and their service.

Oliver
June 8th, 2013, 12:58
Francois; 777s.

I find the seats too firm....but others disagree.
One advantage of the old 747s was that the elite cabin was upstairs and, if you knew the layout, you could book seats with unlimited legroom.
On the 777, Row 20 is to be avoided because it's next to the bulkhead and is often the domain of mewling infants.

ceejay
June 8th, 2013, 15:08
Agree with all the above positive comments. EVA is my airline of choice from LHR - best service, most comfortable seats and, on top of that, usually the best prices! I have flown both Economy and Elite on EVA and have settled on Economy because it is comfortable enough for me. Elite is good value though, I had no complaints about it.

scottish-guy
June 8th, 2013, 19:25
I used to fly with EVA on the LHR-BKK route before other options opened up nearer to home which avoided a flight to LHR and several hours sitting in the terminal with luggage (because it couldn't be checked through, and Air Canada who handled the check-in for Eva wouldn't accept it early).

I always found the flights pretty good - although the Pot Noodle for breakfast was a bit odd.

Are they still dishing that out?

francois
June 8th, 2013, 21:19
Francois; 777s.
I find the seats too firm....but others disagree.
One advantage of the old 747s was that the elite cabin was upstairs and, if you knew the layout, you could book seats with unlimited legroom.

For me, the upper cabin in 747 is the best choice of all. Now many airlines have converted all Business Class seats to individual cubicles which is heaven. But next time may have to switch to EVA Premium Economy due to $$$.

billyhouston
June 9th, 2013, 05:25
Been flying EVA Premium Economy (Elite or, as it was, Evergreen Deluxe) twice a year LHR-BKK-LHR for the past dozen or so years. Over that period the level of service has diminished, though the standard of English spoken by the cabin crew has improved. (On EVA, as far as I have ever seen, the cabin crew are all female while the flight deck are all male.) The best days were when they used 747 combis with the Evergreen Deluxe seats up front where there was lots of room to wander around. This is much more difficult on the 777-300ER and the reconfigured 747s.

A year ago while flying in Premium Laurel (Business) back to LHR I was seriously disadvantaged in favour of two nondescript looking Taiwanese females who evidently had a lot of pull with the airline. I took this up with the purser but got nowhere and it's not good to complain too much these days in case they decide you are a 'threat to safety' and arrange for a reception committee to meet you at Heathrow. :bounce: As we were descending into LHR the purser had a word and was clearly embarrassed about what had happened. When I suggested that the crew were under pressure to behave as they had, she agreed and apologised, but this was no consolation to me and I made this very clear to her.

As someone who lives in the 'boonies' it's necessary to take a shuttle to and from LHR and about 3 years ago, when evening flights were curtailed, a night at a hotel near LHR became necessary. This was inconvenient and expensive, especially when the shuttle flights were written on separate tickets. There are other ways of reaching the intercontinental section of the journey by way of Amsterdam, Frankfurt or Paris but not all airlines have a Premium Economy cabin of which EVA were one of the pioneers.

I have not flown with EVA since and find using CDG much preferable.

RatThai
June 9th, 2013, 14:17
Like others here I am a regular user of Eva Air, usually twice a year between LHR and BBK, although I count myself fortunate to always fly Premium Laurel Class or Royal Laurel Class as it will now be known. From this May all Eva flights to Bangkok should be full flat beds. I have always found the service to be highly professional, welcoming and very good value for money. I like to fly non stop and Eva Air provides this link in modern aircraft, with excellent service both on board - menu meals with courses served separately and on china etc, starlight ceilings at night, and off - access to lounges and premium immigration lines especially useful at Bangkok Airport. I would not choose anyone else.

Oliver
June 9th, 2013, 14:54
Rat Thai is indeed fortunate. I've enjoyed Permium Laurel Class on a number of occasions on the Frequent Flier programme and can confirm all of the above.
However, even members of the peasantry like myself can gain access to the lounges at LHR and BKK- the latter being EVA's own- by becoming members of the above programme. I was a Gold Card member until recently when changes to qualification downgraded me to Silver. But I still get access to the lounges, I can still use the Premium Laurel check-in and I still have luggage priority which ensures that my bag is one of the earliest off the belt.

latintopxxx
June 9th, 2013, 16:17
...will never understand this fascination with airport lounges...hardly any food to speak of and crowded with old men in business suits....i always nip in grab a drink or two and a mag/newspaper if available...and make my way to regular food outlet in the airport where i can people watch...Only exception are some lounges in Asia where food is sometimes served (Sing, BKK, HK...)...in Europe and N.America u r lucky to get cheese and crackers...sometimes a sad looking sandwhich

Shuee
June 10th, 2013, 02:22
thaiair soon if not already will have the new A380 jumbo on this route, so im not sure what this will or wont bring to the party?

paulfort
June 10th, 2013, 06:12
Mancs mentioned that they are pretty stingy on the drinks, whilst I don't want to get p...; on any flight I do enjoy a few glasses of red wine whilst I read the papers and watch the movies!

Noticed a few other comments to the same effect on the airline review sites - is Eva a lot tighter on the drinks than the rest of the competition - even in Premium Economy - where I would have thought better?

Oliver
June 10th, 2013, 10:44
It wasn't always the case.
About twelve years ago, the cabin crew would provide customers with a long list of cocktail available- there must have been about twenty- and I recall a group of young British guys in front of me starting at the first one on the list and attempting to drink their way through it- and home. They become blessedly silent somewhere over Moscow.

Wine and beer is only offered at meal times but I've no doubt that the crew would bring anything that a customer wanted, at any time. It's just that, nowadays, the onus is on him/her to ask rather than to be offered.

pennyboy
June 10th, 2013, 20:51
Since 1 April Thai have been operating the refurbed 747 on LHR/BKK. Only been in economy but that is fine for me with 34 inch pitch and at long last they have individual screens.
Over the years I have noticed a reduction in the measures of spirits being offered but I have also noticed a reduction in the number of rowdy passengers. About 15 years ago it was more common to see drunk passengers when booze was more freely available on board.

egel
June 11th, 2013, 04:26
Anyone else noticed that Eva Air only employ female cabin Crew? :crybaby:

goji
June 11th, 2013, 04:32
Anyone else noticed that Eva Air only employ female cabin Crew? :crybaby:

It's mainly female, but I did see a rather cute male one about 3 years ago. I always fly Eva on this leg.

Oliver
June 11th, 2013, 10:44
The crew used to have the rather charming practice at the end of a flight to bow to the passengers to thank them for choosing EVA.
Alas! no more. I think many of us miss it; often a round of applause would follow as a token of our appreciation of their service.
I've never seen this on any other carrier.

cameroncat
June 12th, 2013, 07:38
I have flown EVA Prem Economy Many times to Bangkok from the U.S. I have to agree with Oliver that the seats are a bit too hard for my skinny ass and I end up having to sit on a blanket. I have recently switched to Cathay Pacific's new Premium Economy and find the seats much more comfortable. The Pitch and Recline are the same as EVA. The service is a bit better too and the price from the U.S. is about the same as EVA. You might check and see if Cathay's new PE product is available on flights from LHR to BKK.

Oliver
June 12th, 2013, 10:54
There are no direct flights from LHR to BKK on Cathay Pacific. For me, a direct flight is essential.
We have a choice of Thai, British Airways and EVA. The best price is usually on EVA.....who must be doing something right because their weekly flights from LHR have increased from three in 1995 to six or seven (according to season) now.