PDA

View Full Version : The Battle of Boyztown

Oliver
June 6th, 2013, 11:25
A bizarre contest last night in the pouring rain; a contest to see which of two bars- Casto and Copa- could cause the maximum disruption to the rest of the community, empty the lounges and terraces (and for all I know the other bars) and deny we residents, whose money keeps bars like those going, the chance of sleep until 0400.

Astonishingly, the Copa street party attracted only fifteen or so guests. The rest of us paid a heavy price for the enjoyment of these folks. Only when the police finally arrived (at about 1530) did the deafening noise abate. The only respite I could find was in the Ambiance lift. At one stage the rain was so heavy that the music and the show continued to an otherwise deserted soi. I hope they get a hefty fine for noise pollution...but I'm not holding my breath.

No warning of the disruption was given; no discussions with the managers of other venues; no consideration of other peoples' needs and rights- as long as the fifteen were having fun, screw the rest of us. Not even the Copa Hotel residents were told .

I have the impression that the self-important management of Copa thinks itself above such things. Our very own Falang Royalty whose parties are so important that the rest of us have to endure their mindlessly- adolescent lack of respect for other people. Why not finish at 0100? or confine the party to inside Copa? or hold it at the managers' home...if the neighbours agree? And why does the music have to be so damn loud?

gaymandenmark
June 6th, 2013, 12:43
You had the same problems in Feb, maybe you should change where you are sleeping in Pattaya. or do you have a vendetta going on against Copa and Castro?

post267672.html#p267672 (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/post267672.html#p267672)

Oliver
June 6th, 2013, 13:11
Vendetta? of course not. Over the years I've spent hundreds of pounds in Copa/Throb/Cockpit and it remains the only bar in Pattaya whose shows I attend.
Why I should I change my hotel? I've been staying there for sixteen years and I like it. It's not me whose behaviour is unacceptable. The onus is on the Copa management to conduct their business appropriately, complying with regulations regarding entertainment and paying more respect to paying customers.
And don't make the mistake of thinking that that there was only one annoyed visitor last night....not to mention the owners/managers of other venues. Tonight there is a party at Funny Boys. I promise you that the punters will enjoy themselves without imposing themselves on the rest of the soi.

arsenal
June 6th, 2013, 23:39
Boyztown. :party

Oliver. :banghead:

gaymandenmark
June 7th, 2013, 00:20
....Over the years I've spent hundreds of pounds in Copa/Throb/Cockpit and it remains the only bar in Pattaya whose shows I attend.
Why I should I change my hotel? I've been staying there for sixteen years and I like it. It's not me whose behaviour is unacceptable. .....
And don't make the mistake of thinking that that there was only one annoyed visitor last night....not to mention the owners/managers of other venues....

:occasion9:

So you have stayed there for 16 years, so what?

Do you expect the area and the soi not to change, for better or worse?

All over the World I have changed hotels, I was used to stay in, because of some change in the surroundings, I disliked.

Get a life and move on if you think the Soi has become to noizzzy :alc:

jimnbkk
June 7th, 2013, 03:28
I heartily agree with the OP. He's not being unreasonable in objecting to the noise, and Copa Boyztown is not the only place in Pattaya that does this. I stayed at the far end of Sunee last time I was in Pattaya, and several times during that 2 month period one of the bars in Sunee had a party wherein the salient feature was a "singing" group that had a sound system that blasted the whole Plaza until 0200 in the morning. The noise was so great that carrying on a conversation on the street near it was only possible by yelling into the ear of the person next to you. And sleeping was impossible.

Why do Thais think louder = better? I have been to Mor Lam concerts wearing earplugs and still have left early before the concert was finished because it became too much for me. I've been skipping these concerts last year or so for this reason.

So, it's another case of having to put up with an occasional "bad" in the midst of a lot more "good".

gaymandenmark
June 7th, 2013, 04:37
My suggestion would then be, to stay in a hotel/guesthouse, outside Sunee or Boyztown.

The last times I was in Pattaya, I have stayed in Day-Night.

If you want the fun, it is very easy to walk to both areas, and in the nights, there are almost nothing to destroy your beauty sleep.

Just stay out of, but close to the party zones, then you have the best of two worlds.

Also keep in mind that something you did not notice or even found funny, sixteen or twenty years ago, you might find annoying today, after all this years, and you get older.

martin911
June 7th, 2013, 05:34
As another has stated you are complaining for something you didn't like before
Most would change the venue where you stay given the noise bothered you so much before
- you know already from before the attitude of owners so why play the victim on here again

And as for the "Farang royalty " as you refer too I can't see how it was to their own pleasures that the party was for -
Simply because the Copa boss was in Nab all of wed nite and didn't leave Nab until 4.30 or so
( his table as near mine )

He can't party in 2 places at the one time ?

corky
June 7th, 2013, 05:37
Over the years I've stayed in all the hotels in Boyztown, Ambiance, Copa & Cafe Royale, and can honestly say that after a night out in the bars, I have never had my sleep disturbed by any noise from any venue. Even when I'm wide awake in those rooms it's difficult to hear anything from the Soi because of the double glazing.

It's not their fault that you have hearing like some strange nocturnal mammal - stop moaning and try a different hotel.
Have you tried the D2 on Second Road? or the Mike Hotel? or the Lek Hotel? or the Welcome Plaza? or the Frazer Resort? - All within 5 minutes walking of Boyztown.

jimnbkk
June 7th, 2013, 07:09
My suggestion would then be, to stay in a hotel/guesthouse, outside Sunee or Boyztown.

If you want the fun, it is very easy to walk to both areas, and in the nights, there are almost nothing to destroy your beauty sleep.

Just stay out of, but close to the party zones, then you have the best of two worlds.

Also keep in mind that something you did not notice or even found funny, sixteen or twenty years ago, you might find annoying today, after all this years, and you get older.

Good idea gmd!! I'm going to stay in Jomtien at View Talay 5 next trip! And, you're exactly right. My tolerance for "fun" has diminished directly proportional to my age. After about 5 minutes I've had about as much fun as I can stand when it comes to performance "noise".

Up2U
June 7th, 2013, 08:24

Good idea gmd!! I'm going to stay in Jomtien at View Talay 5 next trip! And, you're exactly right. My tolerance for "fun" has diminished directly proportional to my age. After about 5 minutes I've had about as much fun as I can stand when it comes to performance "noise".

VT5 is a good choice. The OP is unhappy and should just vote with his feet and find another accommodation. That's what I did many years ago and didn't miss BT a bit.

Oliver
June 7th, 2013, 10:29
I try hard to write clearly but, apparently, Corky still doesn't get it.

So here goes again. There is a huge difference between the usual Boyztown noise from bars which is not disruptive and stops at 0100 or so and an open-air party which takes place in the soi, involves industrial-size speakers and lasts until 0400. Corky has no idea, apparently, of what this entails.

And as for the manager of Copa partying the night away at NAB; lucky him. When he had had enough and wanted to rest, he could retire to his quiet home in Jomtien or wherever, unlike those of us here. Nor do I forget that one of the three disruptive events here in January (my previous visit) was a birthday party for him.....and event to which I was not invited but had to endure. Next time he should have his celebration at home. Or inside his bar- it's big enough.

These events are a new departure for Boyztown. They are welcomed by few, most of whom don't have to put up with them.

Beachlover
June 7th, 2013, 11:32
Oliver does have a point... there shouldn't be loud music and street parties going till 4am in a street filled with accommodation premises. Some areas are zoned for that and some areas aren't.

But other than having a bitch here, complaining to your hotel manager, the police (don't know how responsive they'd be) and maybe the bars, these things are probably outside your area of influence as this is Thailand. So just stay elsewhere next time! Plenty of places you can stay in Pattaya and avoid the noise. I found it quite peaceful 30 levels above the street in the Hilton, even slept with the balcony sliding doors wide open to enjoy a nice sea breeze some nights. The Dusit D2 looks like a decent hotel. Both of these and plenty of others are within walking distance...

goji
June 9th, 2013, 17:05
Politely complain to the hotel management. Tell them you will stay elsewhere in future.
If you find any other guests of the 4 hotels on that street with the same problem, remind them to complain as well.

Then stay elsewhere next time.
Unless of course you receive a written letter from the hotel that explains how all the businesses on the soi have reached an agreement to prevent noise pollution.

A trip advisor review is probably a good idea. Make it balanced. Say what you like about the hotel and what you don't like. Then other customers can make informed choices.

stevehadders
June 9th, 2013, 17:52
There is a point here.i have stayed at Le Cafe Royale a couple of times a year for the last 16 odd years, and I am generally a night owl retiring to bed after club etc, largely topped up with copious amounts of beer , which makes me a deeper sleeper than the deep sleeper I normally am. Not once has the noise in this Hotel affected me, because as soon as my head touches the pillow I am out like a light. Well, that was the case until my April visit. On one particular night I was woken several times about 530 am and later and the music was incredibly loud from one of these venues ...it doesn't matter which. To wake me, it must have been extremely loud, and everybody staying in that area was talking about it later that morning.thankfully it was only at such a level once during my stay, and hasn't deterred me from returning.

Commonsense called for by the venue owners!

bucknaway
June 9th, 2013, 19:04
That trip advisor post is a very good suggestion.

latintopxxx
June 10th, 2013, 13:54
use it all the time...gotta take some comments with a grain of salt...but generally speaking reviews are honest enough. Reason why I will not stay in pattaya...certainly not in the boystown area...its one big slum...and no beach to speak of...much rather stay in Jomtien where the beach is at least doable...and its quieter....

Oliver
June 11th, 2013, 10:57
The managers in Boyztown are fully aware of the problems caused by one or two bars putting on parties outside other people's venues. In February I was warned by my hotel that it would happen. On this occasion, other managements were not even informed. The police were called but didn't arrive until 0330.
The loss in takings and goodwill in the other bars in Boyztown must cause great annoyance. It is astonishingly selfish for an individual (in the most recent case a tourist, I believe) to organise event outside other people's premises without consent.
It should also be noted that, had there been a fire (not unlikely since huge loudspeakers were operating in a downpour) or an injury, two sois were blocked and so rescue personnel would have struggled to get in.
Those responsible should be prosecuted.
I've stayed about six hundred nights in Boyztown over the years. Only three nights have been disturbed like this....but all of them this year.

gaymandenmark
June 11th, 2013, 12:56
It should also be noted that, had there been a fire (not unlikely since huge loudspeakers were operating in a downpour) or an injury, two sois were blocked and so rescue personnel would have struggled to get in.
Those responsible should be prosecuted.

How were the sois blocked? With concrete blocks and wire?

corky
June 11th, 2013, 13:57
It should also be noted that, had there been a fire (not unlikely since huge loudspeakers were operating in a downpour) ...
Now you are showing your ignorance ...
Loudspeakers don't work on 'Live' electricity.
Was there an amplifier out in the rain?
Had the breaker system been removed from the amplifier's power cable?
Hysterical nonsense.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much ... Have you bothered to look at other hotels in the area or is this a vendetta?

arsenal
June 11th, 2013, 15:55
It's always hard Oliver. But you might have to accept that the hotel you like to stay in no longer is the right place for you. Noise, in my experience rarely goes back down once it goes up.

scottish-guy
June 11th, 2013, 21:03
I think you're right Arsenal - the more the venues concerned get away with making the noise, the more they will continue.

arsenal
June 11th, 2013, 22:34
Hi Scotty. It seems to be a trend throughout Asia, at least the places I have been to recently. The Thais are getting louder and louder, playing music in places where before all you could hear was the gentle hum of conversation.
Take the Chinese, probably the loudest nation on earth and with a morbid fear of silence. I get into a taxi and the first thing the driver does is switch on the radio, which I immediately switch off.
Worse news. The Chinese are now visiting Thailand in their millions and they will bring their volume with them. The good news with the Chinese (unlike the Russians) is that if you tell them to modify their behaviour they do. Briefly.

christianpfc
June 12th, 2013, 15:50
Let me chime in on the noise issue.

The situation in Soi 4 or Soi twilight can best be described as cacophony. Why does every bar has to play their own music? If one bar had no music at all, that would be a good idea! Or play the same music in all bars?

In discos I usually use ear protection (I carry them together with condoms and lube, unfortunately I need the ear plugs more often than the condoms), everyone else seems to have been around long enough to not find the music volume too loud.

newyorkgeorge
June 20th, 2013, 19:41
A bizarre contest last night in the pouring rain; a contest to see which of two bars- Casto and Copa- could cause the maximum disruption to the rest of the community, empty the lounges and terraces (and for all I know the other bars) and deny we residents, whose money keeps bars like those going, the chance of sleep until 0400.

Astonishingly, the Copa street party attracted only fifteen or so guests. The rest of us paid a heavy price for the enjoyment of these folks. Only when the police finally arrived (at about 1530) did the deafening noise abate. The only respite I could find was in the Ambiance lift. At one stage the rain was so heavy that the music and the show continued to an otherwise deserted soi. I hope they get a hefty fine for noise pollution...but I'm not holding my breath.

No warning of the disruption was given; no discussions with the managers of other venues; no consideration of other peoples' needs and rights- as long as the fifteen were having fun, screw the rest of us. Not even the Copa Hotel residents were told .

I have the impression that the self-important management of Copa thinks itself above such things. Our very own Falang Royalty whose parties are so important that the rest of us have to endure their mindlessly- adolescent lack of respect for other people. Why not finish at 0100? or confine the party to inside Copa? or hold it at the managers' home...if the neighbours agree? And why does the music have to be so damn loud?

How do you know all of this information? are you bugging the place, or do you have a spy there?

scottish-guy
June 20th, 2013, 21:03
I think your comment is a little unfair NYG - Oliver was staying in accomodation in the Soi and witnessed it all first hand (or maybe first EAR would be better!)

As to the motives of the Bars concerned - well he's entitled to speculate as to what in the Management's psyche makes them think they have automatic carte blanche to disrupt the Soi until 3/4/5am.

The only query I would make of Oliver is that given he has had this experience at least twice, and notwithstanding his preference for being based in the Soi - isn't about time you maybe considered moving across the road?

The Mercure for example involves literally crossing the main road to the Fortune Pharmacy where a guy with a walkie-talkie will summon the free 24/7 shuttle to buzz you to the hotel in under 2 minutes where you can enjoy the peace and quiet you desire and all the extra facilities of a "proper" hotel which you cannot get in BT (a pool for example)

Beachlover
June 21st, 2013, 10:23
Reading threads like these... you get the feeling some people are extremely adverse to change of any sort. Try to be more dynamic and embrace change.

newyorkgeorge
June 24th, 2013, 19:19
I was in BT last night, and was informed by not one, but two of the bar owners that they are planning a week long Issan Carnival in the neighbourhood (soi's 1, 2 & 3) in October, get your ear plugs out! :party

Smiles
June 24th, 2013, 20:10
" ... Try to be more dynamic and embrace change ... "
Before that, perhaps you should try breaking what seems to be one ~ of many ~ of your own specialties: the endless embracing of soporific cliches.

And ... A Yuk Yuk Award for best post yet on this thread (For 'Humour' and 'Egg Head Responsiveness') goes to this blurb by Gaymandenmark, who illustrates that Danes can sometimes be much less than dour.

" ... two sois were blocked and so rescue personnel would have struggled to get in ... " :ow:
How were the sois blocked? With concrete blocks and wire?

(And no jinks ... this is not yet more cannon fodder for your Flaming Room. Give it rest for at least a few more posts. Eh?)

(It's not my Flaming Room try Surfcrest if it gets moved - have you not noticed how many threads have been moved in the last few days?)