PDA

View Full Version : Need Advise - Phuket

SlaveDriver
June 6th, 2013, 08:58
Hello Everyone !

Though I have been to Thailand many times, but have never been to Phuket. I am planning to spend about 10 days there during my next trip and need your advise guys :

1. Mid-level ($50-60 per night) hotel close to gay nightlife. Hotel with swimming pool and sea front would be nice.

2. Hotel should not have joiner fees and must be gay friendly and secured.

3. Clean and good service (I call 3 star hotels with 5 star service).

4. Popular gay bars, pubs and discos (names please)

5. Is late January - early February a good time viz weather, tourist traffic, and local Thai tourist.

Any other advise you guys may have for me.

Really appreciate you guys for the inputs.

Have fun :party

Rush, Yet Again
June 6th, 2013, 11:53
By Phuket I assume you mean Patong Beach which is where the majority of the gay bars are. Look at a map - the bars (Paradise Complex) are not near the beach so you canтАЩt have a hotel close to both. The time you are planning on going is fine, some showers in the afternoon usually but generally sunny. You might check when the Pride celebration is in 2014, itтАЩs usually around early Feb. so that could be worth rearranging your schedule for.

My Way (gogo bar) and Boat Club (dance club) are two popular places, both in Paradise. The others along those sois tend to come and go but itтАЩs a small area so itтАЩs easy to navigate and find a place to your liking.

On my last visit I stayed at the newly renovated Best Western (of all places) which fits your budget. It was spacious, clean, offered great service, and had a real nice pool - with bar - that the majority of rooms face. Walkable to the bars, a bit further out but still an okay stroll to the beach. IтАЩve heard that the Royal Paradise, which sits at the back of Paradise no longer charges a joiner fee, but though it too fits your budget it caters to the tour bus crowd and strives to be a 3 star hotel with little success.

Kun12 will fill you in on all the reasons you shouldnтАЩt visit Phuket. Soon, IтАЩm sure.

atri1666
June 6th, 2013, 13:09
I am just here in the Paradise Complex. Very quiet. Every place i visited i was the only customer. Weather is still fine. Arrived tuesday afternoon. Send me PM if you have questions.

rincondog
June 6th, 2013, 22:37
The end of January, early February is still high season in Phuket. Weather is good and many tourists. I doubt if you can find a sea front place at that time for $50-60. The Paradise complex is where all the gay bars are located. Kiss bar seems to be the most popular recently. Boat Bar is busy later like for the 2am show and then dancing until close. It is pretty easy to see which bars are the busiest since all are within the same area. If you just want to sit for a drink Time bar or Sundowner, next to each other are good bars.

Phuket gay pride is held the latter part of April and will be the same in 2014.

SlaveDriver
June 7th, 2013, 10:07
Thanks very positive and professional helpful tips. Thank you guys. More suggestions welcome

Let us party :party

Beachlover
June 7th, 2013, 11:41
Haven't stepped foot in Patong for a good couple of years so some of this may be a bit out of date, but I'll do a quick brain dump as I've stayed in so many of the hotels around that area...

1. Location is important in Patong as public transport options are so shit there. Tuk tuks rip you off charging minimum 150 or is it 250 baht (?) for even a 5 min ride. So whatever you do, don't pick a location far away from the areas you want to frequent. Unless you're going to hire a bike or something.

2. Contrary to what's said above, you CAN have a hotel close to both the gay bars AND the beach (5-min walk to both) if you stay in that middle section of Patong Beach... I'll list a few hotels in this area below.

3. For your budget and priorities, I would recommend Poppa Palace. It's right in the middle, between the beach and the bars and probably the "cleanest", most newly constructed and best value in my opinion. For under 2,000 baht I would recommend this (can't remember their rates exactly but think it's in that region). No beach/sea views though.

4. Birdcage Guesthouse is also near Poppa and right in the middle between the bars and the beach. It's also much cheaper but shittier. I think you can get rooms under 1,000 baht there.

5. Closer to the bars is the Royal Paradise Hotel. It's right above the gay bars but it'll be a longer (10 mins?) walk to the beach. The hotel is very very old and rooms range from decrepit to recently renovated. The only plus side is you'll have a nice view from your room, thanks to the elevation (just make sure you book a room in the tower wing). I think you can get rooms for around 2,000 baht here but can't remember.

6. If you really want to be beachfront and need to stick to that 2,000 baht budget then Patong Bay Garden may be your best bet. Only a couple of the rooms are beach front (the rest are facing the pool or have no view) but the hotel is right on the beach and you have a pool overlooking the beach. Downside is while it probably used to be a decent mid-market hotel, it's now very old and decrepit. The rooms are really dark (poor natural light) and just barely ok. You pay a premium for shit rooms because it's on the beachfront. I think the cheaper rooms should fall under your 2,000 baht budget. It's a 10-min walk to the gay bars.

7. If you're happy to up your budget, I would recommend La Flora. Probably the only decent hotel in that area! It's a really nice little boutique resort right on the beachfront. Rooms are fairly small but really nice, overlooking a long pool and the resort has direct beach access. Quite newly built so fairly modern design. The bigger rooms/suites overlook the beach and some come with your own little private pool. But it's pricey... I think it was 6,000+ baht for rooms and 9,000+ baht for suites when I stayed there.

8. I recall there's also the KN Guesthouse which is also low priced but I can't recommend as I haven't stayed there as I have the ones above. Same goes for this place called the Safari Beach Guesthouse or something, which is right on the beach. I recall checking it out but never stayed there.

9. Walking between the beach and the gay bars, be prepared to use the small alleys, instead of the main roads. Main roads mean you have walk a bigger loop.

Not going to get everything on your wishlist on a 2,000 baht/night budget so you'll have to pick and prioritise what's important to you.

Personally, nothing about Patong attracts me anymore. It's crowded, accommodation is either sub-standard, poor value or poorly located and I tend to want to be in a quiet and out of the way place when getting away to beach resorts now... Much nicer resorts to be had elsewhere in Phuket but it will mean being far away from the bars for you and public transport/taxi availability is shite so if that's important, you may be better off staying in Patong.

Be aware, the whole island feeds on tourists via a LOT of rip off price fixing and price gouging. You might come away with an unpleasant feeling...

P.S. SlaveDriver, are you BadBoyBilly? You crack me up. :happy7:

SlaveDriver
June 8th, 2013, 08:13
BeachLover,I like your very descriptive and professional inputs. They are very valuable. Thanks a million.

Would you like to give me some inputs about Cheng Mai as an alternate destination or any other gay places?

Keep well and stay safe

paulfort
June 8th, 2013, 16:56
Last time I stayed at Aquarius apartments - virtually in the middle of the Paradise area, totally gay, OK small indoor pool with sauna, I took an "Apartment suite" which I think is within your budget, very clean, spacious and well furnished - the beach is about a five or ten minute walk. I have also stayed at Club one Severn, it is a really friendly place with a nice garden and pool, though the rooms are not that large and not relay very "luxurious", it is also a fair way from the Paradise gay area and taxis in Patong always seem a lot more expensive than Bangkok or Pattaya.

In general a lot of Patong can be more expensive than say Pattaya, certainly taxis and any water sports can be a rip off, but the sea is a lot cleaner - the gay area is also a fair bit smaller, I find My Way and the Boat Bar are about the best, but now I tend to go to Pattaya more now - hope this helps you a bit!

jinks
June 8th, 2013, 18:36
A small no frills hotel is the hostal puerta del sol phuket.

It is a short walk from the Paradise Complex. Clean and Spanish run.

Own key, no night staff when I stayed. Gay owned with mixed clients.

http://www.hostalpuertadelsolphuket.com

http://www.hostalpuertadelsolphuket.com/css/tarjeta_farang.jpg

Manforallseasons
June 9th, 2013, 04:23
On another thread another poster who is there now has sad he is alone in the bars, I have been before I strongly suggest that you don't go, the airport taxi Mafia is an ongoing rip off and the likely hood of meeting a guy at the moment is slim, most things ae expensive and hardly worthily, if you are a masochist you might enjoy in.

scottish-guy
June 9th, 2013, 17:53
The "Airport Taxi mafia" is not worth worrying about in my view - because it's so easily avoided.

Simply have your Hotel pick you up from the Airport - and some will include it FREE in your rate e.g. Poppa Palace.

Next, if you're only there for a few days and your main interest is in the gay area and central Patong then there is no need to ever take a taxi - just walk!!

Or if you want to venture further, again the hotel can arrange a driver at a more reasonable price.

I wouldn't let the "taxi mafia" put me off a visit to Phuket.

latintopxxx
June 9th, 2013, 18:37
scotty boy...u sure u got your facts right?? As far as I recall the taxi from the airport were metered and reasonably priced. problem was once u were in town or your hotel then prices shot up dramatically.

scottish-guy
June 9th, 2013, 18:42
Latin - I don't know, I've never taken an Airport taxi and have always instead been "picked up" by the Hotel taxi.

I was responding to ManForAllSeason's post about a "Airport Taxi Mafia" - I assumed he was right as the Baht Bus/Taxi Service in Patong is indeed a rip-off (from memory 150B for a very short trip?) so his "allegation" seemed reasonable. Perhaps he will post more detail.

My point was- it's all easily avoided.

pennyboy
June 9th, 2013, 19:24
I always have taken the metered taxis at the airport and avioded the fixed price limo service. Never been ripped off and I only walk when I am in Patong.
I always had a good time in Patong but only ever went in the high season.

scottish-guy
June 9th, 2013, 19:39
Do you normally just take short trips there Pennyboy?

I found I couldn't take more than 5 days or so in Phuket.

bucknaway
June 9th, 2013, 20:23
I love the guys of Phuket. I have met some of the most handsome guys I have ever laid eyes on there. I also experienced some of the best sexual experiences there as well.

But the bad outweighed the good. from the woman who tried several time to pick my pocket to the point that I had to ask her loudly to stop trying to pick my pocket! Everyone around me only smiled and said nothing to her but did want to flirt with me. Then there was the hired car that could not find my hotel and wanted to unload me about a mile away from my hotel and once we got to my hotel he demanded a tip! Hahaha. Then there was a sexy Indian guy I met. I met him sitting outside the Boat Bar. He was having fun and buying drinks for everyone sitting at the bar. I found him to be sexy, in his middle 20's and I was interested in fun with him. He was keen for it and we went for a ride in his SUV. When we got back, his thai friend threatened me. He thought I was after his friend. They were not lovers, but the Indian guy was paying for everything. The more the Indian guy talk to me and told me about his business in Thailand, the nastier his Thai friend became. He would kick me while smiling at his friend. Elbow me in the side when he stood near me and other things. I only wanted the Indian guy to drop his pants and since we did that, I decided it was best for me to more on. When I said my goodbye, the indian guy begged me to stay and drink, his Thai friend acted as if he was sad for me to leave but when the Indian guy was not watching, his thai friend would give me a hateful glare....

Those are just the things that easily come to mind about my times in Phuket, but enough has happened to me there that I have decided that I won't be back.

Sen Yai
June 9th, 2013, 23:06
ItтАЩs always disappointing to me that there is so little discussion about Phuket on this board and when there is thereтАЩs little information of any value. Several of the experiences shared in this thread are very out of date тАУ at least Beachlover stated up front that he hasnтАЩt visited for years but the first response from Rush, yet again suggests a hotel that he stayed out тАЬwhen I was last thereтАж.тАЭ which must have been about 3 years ago as it has changed hands from Best Western twice since and is any way in a remote part of Patong (behind/inland from the Paradise Complex) and hardly makes a worthwhile recommendation for anyone.

Many have mentioned Boat Bar and My Way as places to visit and these two are indeed amongst the longest surviving names around, both having been in existence for 15 years or more. But Boat Bar has been overshadowed in the last 5 years or so by Kiss Bar (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kiss-Bar-Patong-Phuket-Thailand/126612594027528#!/kissclubpatong?fref=ts) as the late night dance-club / show bar to see and be seen at and there is now Zag Club (http://www.zagclub.com/index.html) which is providing a decent alternative to Kiss with itтАЩs USP being modelled more on the Rachada Soi 8 clubs in Bangkok with a group of Coyotes providing the visual entertainment. Zag is where Kiss used to be and Kiss has now reopened opposite next to My Way, where Sundowners Lounge once was.

The new Kiss Club
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/NewKiss.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/SenYai/media/NewKiss.jpg.html)

Zag Club
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Zag.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/SenYai/media/Zag.jpg.html)

Among he more traditional GoGo bars, My Way seems to have lost its way a bit and has not reinvented itself for a while, whereas Tangmo, having fallen from favour in recent years with twinkies in knee-socks and drag-queens in feather boas failing to maintain any interest has now realised that sex sells and they have shows with full nudity and pairs of boys тАШjoined at the hipтАЩ parading around the audience collecting tips and now have a full house every night in high season. The current acceptance of raunchier shows in Patong was pioneered by a small bar called Yes (previously Dempsies) who pushed the boundaries with nudity and (simulated) sex a few years ago. They are still going strong and still have a full house for their shows most nights. Yes is a small bar where you sit very close to the action. There are also a collection of smaller boy-beer-bars around such as Kai and even Khun Knud is still going, although тАШgoing strongтАЩ might be an overstatement.

But by far the most popular type of venue in Patong these days is the terrace bar where you can sit outside enjoying a drink or a light meal, meet fellow tourists and watch the constant parade of activity on the Soi, with each bar announcing itтАЩs own show time with a little taster performed in the street and you can then choose to follow the performers inside to see the rest of the show at the bar of your choice. Sundowners, Time and Connect are next door to each other and all blur into one and Chic is on the opposite side of the Soi.

Chic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Chic.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/SenYai/media/Chic.jpg.html)

Time & Sundowners
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/ParadiseBars.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/SenYai/media/ParadiseBars.jpg.html)

As for accommodation тАУ there is a huge choice and you would be better off searching on a booking site such as Agoda to find something that suits your budget and preferred location. The places that Beachlover mentioned are equidistant from the beach and the bars and only 2~3 minutes walk from either. These places are not gay-orientated in any way but, just like almost anywhere else in Thailand, they are тАШgay-friendlyтАЩ in that you wonтАЩt receive any prejudice from the staff or other guests (unless there are some ignorant bigots present) as Patong has seen it all and everyone adopts a live-and-let-live attitude. But if you are so shy that you must stay in an exclusively gay guest house there are many of them in and around the Paradise Complex and all are quite low-rent (if thatтАЩs a good thing for you.) The list on NickyтАЩs (http://www.nickysgaythailand.com/gay-phuket/hotels/) is quite up to date.

There is no mystery surrounding Airport Transportation. There are metered yellow cabs available or you can take a limousine or a seat in a minibus by buying a ticket from the desk in the airport building on arrival. Taking a car for one person is not cheap at about THB650 (depending on season) but fair value for the safe and comfortable service provided given the journey to Patong is about 40mins. Public transport in Patong in the form of тАШTuk tukтАЩs (the Daihatsu/Suzuki microvans used in Phuket) does seem expensive for one or two people on a short journey, but they work out reasonably for a group of friends or family тАУ which is their target demographic. These are not тАШbaht-bussesтАЩ or song-theaw like Pattaya, and do not offer a jump-on jump-off single fair. They are mafia controlled and maintain consistent pricing, so donтАЩt grumble if this service is not for you. There are regular public busses that run to Phuket town, and these are very cheap.

Phuket Taxi
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/HKTTaxi.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/SenYai/media/HKTTaxi.jpg.html)

Tuk Tuk
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/HKTTuktuk.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/SenYai/media/HKTTuktuk.jpg.html)

In my experience, Phuket is a fabulous place for a holiday with plenty of daytime and night time activities available in a friendly, welcoming and hassle free environment. Like everywhere, it has changed over the years and has become more developed, but remains a place I look forward to returning.

jinks
June 9th, 2013, 23:11
Excellent report. Thank you.

Brad the Impala
June 10th, 2013, 00:12
Indeed, very thorough report by Sen Yai, and good to see him posting here again. Agree with all his comments!

Personally I find that the Paradise scene has a friendly gay village feel, and Phuket has long been my favourite place in Thailand for a holiday.

latintopxxx
June 10th, 2013, 01:50
sem yai....I find your pics really hard to believe, I've been to phuket twice, last time was mid-january 2011 and the place was deserted...certainly not the crowds pictured in your photos....and the tul tuks all wanted minimum 200 bht...even for a 5 min trip.,,,when were these pics taken??? during a single one day festival...when 1/2 price drinks and complimentary boys were being handed out???

scottish-guy
June 10th, 2013, 02:25
Latintopxxx- a banner in one of the "busy" pics seems to indicate it might have been taken during Phuket Pride week.

You're right about the taxis - they won't turn the wheels for less than a small fortune in taxi fare terms (150B last time I was there - I'll accept it might be 200 now)

I have to say though that I have been there when it's been fairly busy - it's not always quiet.

latintopxxx
June 10th, 2013, 04:44
...observant are'nt we....pride week...explains the crowds...I've only been there twice....and both times it was deserted....and I certainly felt like i was being taken advantage of with most transactions...people are more aggressive..not as nice and easy going as BKK or Pattaya....i certainly will not return.

paulfort
June 10th, 2013, 06:33
I think you can easily get a fair priced transfer from the airport to your hotel in Patong, if booked via your hotel in advance.

However I feel the issue is if you want to do something "on the spur of the moment" with a "new found friend" in Patong such as get a taxi to a nicer beach along the coastline for a swim or to any out of town attractions, or even if very brave try to hire a Jet Ski or boat in Patong - they simply rip you off - however hard you try to negotiate!

I can normally get a deal to hire a private speedboat for the day and go to Koo Larne off Pattaya for say THB 2,000 to 2,500 to my mind fantastic value - or in Patong a taxi for about the same cost to take me a few miles down the road - no comparison!

atri1666
June 10th, 2013, 09:46
I am now here one week. From the crowds on the pics they are dreaming off. All bars fight for survival more or less. Sen Yai is correct about the bars here. I am missing Mammasan.... Since i am here was not opened once. A friend took taximeter and paid 650 baht to Paradise Complex. I dont put me stress on my shoulders after arriving and bought a ticket with PNK for 800 baht. Got a big limo and no waiting.
I would stay again in Adonis. Near to action but quiet for a good sleep.

pennyboy
June 10th, 2013, 21:03
SG
I used to go for up to 3 months to Patong but that was the days when there were many more gogo bars particularly in the area where Superboys is (was?)
As the gay areas declined and Paradise became more attractive to younger guys already partnered my visits became shorter although there were still bars where guys like me could have good fun. Now I rarely go and if I go it is for a short trip to meet old friends who stay there. The truth is I am fine with Pattaya and am getting too idle to go anywhere else.

rincondog
June 10th, 2013, 21:31
You notice in the pictures there are not many gray hairs compared to Pattaya. The average age is much younger and really a varied group of ages frequent Phuket, although all ages are welcomed. The Paradise complex has as many people as Boyztown, at any time of the year. I really get tired of the Pattaya centrics always criticizing Phuket. As long as you stay in a central place there is no reason to take a Tuktuk. You can walk anywhere necessary or rent a motorbike for the same prices as Pattaya, just be sure to use a helmet.

Phuket beaches are far superior to anything in Pattaya. Even though there are many beach lounges on the beaches in Phuket there is a little separation and you don't feel crammed into your chair as you do in Pattaya. Prices really aren't any higher in bars. Drink prices are pretty much the same and in some cases cheaper. You can see a show at Boat Bar or Kiss and won't pay as much for a drink as you would at Copa. As someone else has mentioned the Paradise complex gay area is like a friendly village, I find the area much friendlier and welcoming than anywhere in Pattaya.

latintopxxx
June 10th, 2013, 22:27
rincon...would love to have another gay friendly Asian beach resort besides Pattaya and Bali.....but somehow Phuket doesnt do it for me...have been there twice and both times it was deeply dissapointing....clubs and bars empty...and almost no real gogo bars to speak of...tuk tuks over priced...aggressive locals...seems like most of the tuk tuk drivers are muslim and they certainly did not make me feel at ease with their attitude...