PDA

View Full Version : If your dog steals the neighbors chickens....

cdnmatt
June 3rd, 2013, 23:11
If your dog steals the neighbors chickens,,, who's fault is it? The dog's fault, or the neighbors fault for not putting her chickens in a proper pen, and instead allowing them to freely wander around?

Inquiring minds want to know...

joe552
June 3rd, 2013, 23:14
A bit of clarification - when you say "steals" do you mean "eats" or "kills"?. I'd say it depends on whose property the theft took place. If her chickens are on your property, your dog can do what he likes. However, if he crosses onto her property, it's your responsibility (not the dogs). This is not to be construed as offering legal advice - please consult your lawyer as required.

cdnmatt
June 3rd, 2013, 23:25
No, he hasn't killed a single one yet, which I actually find a bit weird. He goes over to her house, and grabs them, then brings them home live and squawking. He doesn't seem to show any interest in killing them -- it's like a toy for him, or something. Then the old lady comes by, screams at me and my neighbor for a while, and picks up her chicken.

I don't know, I'm somewhat of two minds on this -- on hand, my dog and my responsibility, and I understand that. On the other hand, she's a total bitch, so there's a part of me that just wants to throw a roll of chicken wire at her, and tell her to piss off and build a proper coup if she wants to keep her chickens safe from outside threats.

My dog, my responsibility. Her chickens, her responsibility though.

joe552
June 3rd, 2013, 23:29
Now that's funny. Strange behaviour for a dog, I guess. Why does she shout at your neighbour too? I'd ignore it as far as possible until your dog actually kills a chicken. I guess you realise you're not in Canada anymore (or wherever you came from). Wonderful Thailand.

cdnmatt
June 3rd, 2013, 23:40
Why does she shout at your neighbour too?

Because we're good friends, and have a good repour together. When incidents like this spur up, she has my back, and will jump in to translate and help calm the situation. On the flip side, I have her back too if and when needed.

One of those neighborly things. The West used to have it, but doesn't really anymore, hence one of the many reasons I enjoy living here instead. :-)

dab69
June 4th, 2013, 00:55
Farang is always at fault?
Why do you allow your dog to roam irresponsibly, intruding on the neighbors property and be cruel to their animals?

francois
June 4th, 2013, 02:11
Your dog, your responsibility.

timmberty
June 4th, 2013, 02:30
her chickens her responsibility.. how dare she allow her chickens to run loose in her own garden ...
im sure it was that sort of attitude that made you get up and go from the boyfriend and family wasnt it matt ??
seems like you caught part of it before you left ...

kjun12
June 4th, 2013, 05:37
If, indeed, this were Canada she could keep the dog for the damage caused and use it for whatever purpose she desires. Might make a good red curry. :crybaby:

RonanTheBarbarian
June 4th, 2013, 05:45
"there's a part of me that just wants to throw a roll of chicken wire at her, and tell her to piss off and build a proper coup if she wants to keep her chickens safe from outside threats".

If you are such a fan of having people keep their animals under control, why do you not build proper fencing around your home to prevent the dog getting out of your garden?

After all, it is your dog that is trespassing, not the chickens.

Anyway, if you are fond of your dog, I wouldnt worry so much about the legalities as much as the neighbour getting fed up and poisoning the dog. That seems to be the way a lot of these stories end up in Thailand.

bucknaway
June 4th, 2013, 06:40
I was thinking the same thing. 20 baht will change hands and the dog will be found dead someplace being pecked by the chickens.

martin911
June 4th, 2013, 08:46
I've. had dogs pretty much all my life Matt and I would be of the opinion that its your responsibility to keep the dog away from the whacky ladys chicks :kap:

peeseua
June 4th, 2013, 08:47
This is Asia. if your dog kills or eats her chicken, she might not hesitate to eat your dog.

cdnmatt
June 4th, 2013, 11:00
Anyway, if you are fond of your dog, I wouldnt worry so much about the legalities as much as the neighbour getting fed up and poisoning the dog.

Yep, exactly. The cops will never be called on this, because Thais just don't do that. They'll kill the dog instead, which is what I'm worried about.

And yeah, yeah... I know, you guys are right. My dog, my responsibility. If she wasn't such a bitchy little thing, I'd be more inclined to work together, and come to an amicable resolution. She's such a little hag though, and there's no reason to talk to me like she does.

No idea where my dog gets the chickens yet, but guaranteed they're not enclosed in any shape or form. It's a 30kg dog, so it's not like he gets to freely wander into all the neighbor's yards, because he's too big to fit through any of the gates. So wherever these chickens are coming from, they're completely open, unguarded, and available from the street. I'll go find out later today, and if she only has a dozen or two, I'll maybe be a nice guy and have a proper chicken coup built for her.

MiniMee
June 4th, 2013, 13:34
So, the moral of this little fable is that one must keep ones тАШdogтАЩ under control and not allow him to entice the тАШchickensтАЩ from the neighbourтАЩs yard to come at play at your place. Even if your dog canтАЩt get in next door and they are already straying a little into the street.

There is a risk that oneтАЩs тАШdogтАЩ will be attacked if the neighbour is unwilling to come to an amicable agreement.

And if the neighbour only has a small number of тАШchickensтАЩ you could offer to help her retain them, so you can both co-exist in peace and harmony.

I hope the тАШbitchy little thingтАЩ from across the street gets the message.

Nirish guy
June 4th, 2013, 15:06
Ohhhh very deep. I'm guessing we're not talking about dogs and chickens anymore though :-)

scottish-guy
June 4th, 2013, 15:08
I'm keeping my eye on that hare and that tortoise in my back garden

Surfcrest
June 4th, 2013, 16:13
Well, if he isn't killing them...perhaps he's trying to care for them or hurd them.
Nevertheless, it sounds as though he's confused and thinks you or his pack leader desires this behaviour.
If you've ever watched Cesar Milan....what he does is take the dog to the chickens.
Have him sit or stand with you and only focus on you....not the chickens.
If he looks at the chickens, surprise him with a gentle poke under the ribs....or a "pssssst", whatever it takes to break his attention so that he looks back to you.
Keep doing this until he is no longer interested in looking at the chickens.
Cesar sometimes holds the chickens above the dog to make the dog submit to the chicken....lie down and look away.
Cesar can make these things happen pretty quick, I think the average everyday dog owner needs to ensure he's the boss first....not the dog.

You might want to consider, these chicks may be looking to get picked up............

Surfcrest

timmberty
June 4th, 2013, 16:17
well im looking foward to the day matt tell us how a chicken has walked off with his dog in its beak.!!!

scottish-guy
June 4th, 2013, 16:24
Chickens looking to get picked up ... a chicken with a dog in its beak......it's getting almost surreal now.... has somebody been putting hallucinogenic drugs in the beer?

christianpfc
June 4th, 2013, 17:32
From your description, your dog isn't stealing chicken, he isn't even eating them, he is just playing with them. Hopefully he doesn't hurt them.

Tierman
June 4th, 2013, 18:23
cdnmatt, I have mixed emotions on this post and your position. Most posts subsequent to your original feel it is your job to correct the problem. I agree and think you are being hard headed but I know what you mean about asshole neighbors. I have a shrew-bitch of a neighbor and if you are able to find out what poison the Thais use in instances like this please let me know. I will get some and administer it to her and claim that I just gave her a vaccination for Thai stupidity.

cdnmatt
June 4th, 2013, 23:17
cdnmatt, I have mixed emotions on this post and your position. Most posts subsequent to your original feel it is your job to correct the problem. I agree and think you are being hard headed but I know what you mean about asshole neighbors.

Yeah, it's one of those things where we're both right, but yet both in the wrong. I understand that. She doesn't seem to though, and instead just bitches like an old hag, which leaves me less inclined to help her. I guess I've been exaggerating a bit though, because my neighbor told me she's a really nice lady today, and it's actually not a big deal. Who knows.

Still debating whether or not to let it be known that if my dog winds up dead, her chickens are going to end up dead. Would probably just escalate the situation to an unwarranted level though, so won't bother. It's true though. If she kills my dog, I'm killing her chickens. I'm sorry, but my dogs are pretty near the only good thing in my life right now, so don't fuck with them.

Here's a pic, if anyone's interested. It's on the old side though... the little brown guy is fully grown at 30kg now, and is the one in shit for stealing chickens. They're both great boys, and the white guy is the best security guard you could hope for. Nobody gets into this house without his approval, and if he doesn't recognize you, he will tell you to fuck off, and is more than capable of convincing anyone not to open the front gate. If he knows you though, then he's the best friend you could hope for, always with a huge smile on his face.

http://i.imgur.com/rmY9LLL.jpg

joe552
June 4th, 2013, 23:51
matt I think I'd be inclined to just go ahead and put up fencing of some sort to prevent your dog entering her property, or her chickens getting onto yours. after all the hassle you've had with Kim, why put yourself through this? if there's an easy solution, maybe you should take it?

cdnmatt
June 5th, 2013, 04:54
matt I think I'd be inclined to just go ahead and put up fencing of some sort to prevent your dog entering her property

Nah, found out earlier tonight apparently she has about 150 of the bloody things (chickens), so building a chicken coup for her just isn't happening. I'm sorry, but what an idiot. We're in the city, and this isn't exactly village farmland out here.

Yeah, buy a house in the sub burbs, and stock it with 150 chickens. Brilliant idea!

I'm going to go buy a house in Burnaby (Vancouver, Canada), and put 40 goats in my backyard. I'm sure that's an excellent idea, and will work out splendidly.

timmberty
June 5th, 2013, 04:58
least you wont have to worry about cutting the grass again

blazer
June 5th, 2013, 11:26
Once the dog crosses from your property into her property, if the dog causes any damage, the dog owner is responsible. Keep good insurance. (is good insurance even available and worthwhile to carry as it relates to this?)

Beachlover
June 7th, 2013, 11:45
I'm sorry, but my dogs are pretty near the only good thing in my life right now, so don't fuck with them.
Matt... if you love Thailand and Thai guys but your social/love life is in the shits there, why don't you move away from whatever middle of no where location you're living in now?

Go to Bangkok, grab yourself a nice city apartment or house in the suburbs if you prefer a house and start mingling with people of similar socio-economic status and intelligence. People you can actually relate to and who can relate to you. You know? Instead of uneducated, rural simpletons who can't plan or organise anything and struggle to achieve much more than avoiding starvation and popping out babies.

Bangkok's a massive city with all types of Thai guys and a variety of scenes. You're bound to find people you like hanging out with. That's the advantage of a big city, as opposed to a small town where you're stuck with a few hicks and maybe the odd retired farang. Even if you don't know anyone in Bangkok now, it's so easy to make friends and mingle with various circles and groups.

Much better chance of finding a compatible partner too! And who knows, you might end up deciding you like Bangkok and staying there, or moving someplace quieter with the love of your life.

:party

catawampuscat
June 7th, 2013, 15:49
Not long ago, my old bf told me that his dogs killed a neighbors prize chickens. He needed
money to pay or the dogs would be killed.. I told him it wasn't my problem.. It was clear
that the ex-bf was responsible.. This ex-bf was not known for
his veracity and somehow the issue was resolved..

dab69
June 13th, 2013, 06:11
http://bangkokbois.files.wordpress.com/ ... ach-53.jpg (http://bangkokbois.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/lifes-a-beach-53.jpg)

http://bangkokbois.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/lifes-a-beach-53.jpg

I as a little late reading
the SUnday Funnies this week.
And I always have to manually add that
third bracket ([)- comes up missing
after every paste.

Smiles
June 13th, 2013, 12:13
" ... Matt... if you love Thailand and Thai guys but your social/love life is in the shits there, why don't you move away from whatever middle of no where location you're living in now ... "
Cdnmatt doesn't seem too eager to respond to this type of question. I asked a very similar question in the "Living with a Thai guy" thread, now down at the bottom of the page.
I think it's a pretty reasonable thing to ask given the fact that his critiques of living in the boonies now are much more prevalent than the glories of doing so. They didn't start out that way, and although his general unhappiness is oozing out of every pore right now, there is precious little in the way of thoughts on how to change that for the better ... besides writing love letters to a pair of dogs.

Beachlover
June 25th, 2013, 21:20
Well... I don't consider him obligated to respond to either of our posts. I just post a suggestion and he can ignore it if he wants.

Though nice to see you're treating him as a real person rather than calling him a troll now, Smiles...

I guess, since he's told a lot of his story here, I'm curious if he's thought through his next steps. He seems like a genuinely nice guy and intelligent and dynamic enough to change course when shit's not working so would hate to see him all unhappy again. At the back of my mind, I wonder if I could have slipped down the same path he did, all those years ago...

cdnmatt
June 28th, 2013, 14:05
Cdnmatt doesn't seem too eager to respond to this type of question. I asked a very similar question in the "Living with a Thai guy" thread, now down at the bottom of the page. I think it's a pretty reasonable thing to ask given the fact that his critiques of living in the boonies now are much more prevalent than the glories of doing so.

Awww, thanks Smiles, I didn't know you cared so much. Love you too!

Also didn't know I was under obligation to inform members of SGT of my life, especially considering how various people (yourself included) have treated me when I did provide updates. Anything to give yourself a pat on the ass I guess though, eh? "I might be a loser, but at least I'm not like cdnmatt!"

I'm curious if he's thought through his next steps.

It's all happening! Actually, you mentioned exactly what I'm planning in one of your previous posts. That's not where I got the idea, but you did mention it. Development firm in Chiang Mai, coming shortly! I'm in an absolutely beautiful position to do so technical-wise, in-house developer here is about $1000/month, plus it starts me down the path to permanent residency status. Should be good!

Beachlover
July 17th, 2013, 08:52
Smiles... especially considering how various people (yourself included) have treated me when I did provide updates. Anything to give yourself a pat on the ass I guess though, eh?
Nicely said... the way a nice guy would put it.

[It's all happening! Actually, you mentioned exactly what I'm planning in one of your previous posts. That's not where I got the idea, but you did mention it. Development firm in Chiang Mai, coming shortly! I'm in an absolutely beautiful position to do so technical-wise, in-house developer here is about $1000/month, plus it starts me down the path to permanent residency status. Should be good!
Awesome to hear! Good luck with all the dog work setting it up.

USD$1,000/month is about six times less than I'd pay here so as long as you can find decent talent over there and maintain a stable pipeline of work from pricey economies like mine to keep them fed, you could make some nice margins. Soon, you'll have a glitzy penthouse in Bangkok, a clifftop beach front villa in Phuket and a nice little mansion in Chiang Mai with a giant backyard and lap pool for the dogs. :happy7:

There's also plenty of expat developers living in Thailand who would like a job like that, so I guess you don't necessarily have to rely completely on the Thai resource pool... But I've heard you need to maintain some sort of ratio of Thai/foreigner employees.