PDA

View Full Version : Jobs, Jobs, Jobs

Thaiwriter
June 3rd, 2013, 22:27
This may be an old and tired thread but perhaps someone here might have some new and interesting input into the topic. I'm wondering what jobs there are available for farangs in Thailand. Aside from the usual expected role of 'farang English teacher' that is. I'm looking for new ideas and challenges - a place to maybe forge my own trail or carve out my own niche. Without posting my resume on this forum I am almost 50, in good health, physically active if not 100% physically fit. I can read, write and speak Thai rather well if not fluently (yet.) My education is minimal but I have a lot of career experience in management. I'm not opposed to teaching English - or teaching Thai to other farangs - but I want to bring something new to the table. I'm creative and like sharing knowledge and training others so maybe a teaching career would be the best I am suited for but I want to have an open mind to new ideas and enterprises. Serious opportunities only and no fly-by-night, get rich quick nonsense. Any suggestions?

cdnmatt
June 4th, 2013, 00:09
It's 2013, globalization has taken affect. Where you are in the world doesn't matter much anymore. I work with some pretty young guys from places like India and the Philippines, who are from very modest backgrounds, and they're making a hell of a lot more than me. Not only are they around 10 years younger than me, they're also from some small, shitty city / town in a 3rd world country. Yet, they're making a killing. That type of thing wasn't possible even 10 years ago, but is quite common place now.

You said you read & write Thai fluently, so there you go for a starter. Offer translation services on the various online marketplaces available out there.

dab69
June 4th, 2013, 00:46
" My education is minimal ..."

For teaching:
Isn't a college degree now mandatory?
Along with Thai class in culture, TEFL class certificate is encouraged for teaching English.

christianpfc
June 4th, 2013, 14:02
You should look for open positions on websites like jobsdb to see if there is something that matches your interests and education/work experience.

Sooty
June 4th, 2013, 14:48
You should understand that like many Third World countries the Thais are obsessed with formal credentials so unless you're in some field where results matter more (such as being able to point to Web sites or iPhone Apps you have developed) a lack of even the most basic university degree will count against you.

An English friend of mine is teaching at a run-of-the-mill Thai university and has been set the target of a certain number of articles published in a given list of eminent academic journals as a KPI to keep his job. He doesn't anticipate being able to meet that KPI since needless to say the eminent journals prima facie don't believe first class research can be conducted in mediocre Third World universities. Nevertheless that's an obligation imposed by Thai bureaucrats obsessed with credentials.

At the simplest level of consideration for a job, could a Thai do what you're proposing to do? If so, what's the compelling argument that you should get the job?

arsenal
June 5th, 2013, 15:01
Thaiwriter: Get ajob teaching English. The opportunities it opens to you in meeting new and often influential people cannot be underestimated. Assuming your lessons are interesting, informative and conducted well you'll be offered plenty of other things that are related but not identical.

Thaiwriter
June 6th, 2013, 21:25
It's 2013, globalization has taken affect. Where you are in the world doesn't matter much anymore. I work with some pretty young guys from places like India and the Philippines, who are from very modest backgrounds, and they're making a hell of a lot more than me. Not only are they around 10 years younger than me, they're also from some small, shitty city / town in a 3rd world country.

Yes, but my whole point is to live and work IN Thailand. ; )

You said you read & write Thai fluently, so there you go for a starter. Offer translation services on the various online marketplaces available out there.

I am not fluent - yet. My Thai skills are above average but where I currently live in the US makes it difficult to practice my Thai daily outside of the internet. Ideally I want to establish a full time job - probably at a private school - that would allow me the freedom to tutor English on the side. The extra money would be good and the networking could be profitable for long term employment in the Kingdom I would imagine.

Thaiwriter
June 6th, 2013, 21:31
You should understand that like many Third World countries the Thais are obsessed with formal credentials so unless you're in some field where results matter more (such as being able to point to Web sites or iPhone Apps you have developed) a lack of even the most basic university degree will count against you.

I'm aware of this and I'm looking to stack as many odds in my favor as I can.

An English friend of mine is teaching at a run-of-the-mill Thai university and has been set the target of a certain number of articles published in a given list of eminent academic journals as a KPI to keep his job. He doesn't anticipate being able to meet that KPI since needless to say the eminent journals prima facie don't believe first class research can be conducted in mediocre Third World universities. Nevertheless that's an obligation imposed by Thai bureaucrats obsessed with credentials.

This is why I am leaning towards working for private language schools so I can possibly avoid a lot of the hurdles with Thai bureaucracy in more academic schools.

At the simplest level of consideration for a job, could a Thai do what you're proposing to do? If so, what's the compelling argument that you should get the job?

My greatest strength so far is that I am a natural English speaker and I also speak Thai and know the culture somewhat. I just need to augment those skills with the training and certification needed to get my foot in the door for a job.

Thaiwriter
June 6th, 2013, 21:41
Thaiwriter: Get a job teaching English. The opportunities it opens to you in meeting new and often influential people cannot be underestimated. Assuming your lessons are interesting, informative and conducted well you'll be offered plenty of other things that are related but not identical.

That's the trick isn't it? I don't want to get a job teaching english just so I can work in the Kingdom. If I do a job I do it right. I aim to excel at what I do so that not only do I benefit my students but like you said it may open the door to other opportunities. I'm not really an entertainer but look at Adam Bradshaw for example. I'd love to have his skill level with Thai though. Damn, he's good. ;)

loke
June 11th, 2013, 22:33
Run a few websites and you can have a small income

Theres lots of internet jobs out there too , if you search for it.
I work as a freelance translator and content writer in my native language (I'm Scandinavian) and earn about 30k per month.

Beachlover
June 12th, 2013, 10:42
Thaiwriter... You could look at businesses looking to export services to Western countries. They need someone who can handle new business and manage conversations with existing customers.

You don't even necessarily have to be a good sales person. In a lot of cases, their customers will have a far better experience simply because there's a native English speaker to take down requirements and liaise with.

Look for businesses, which seek to or could export their services to the West and see if you can assist them in new business development. I say services because I reckon selling services requires a personalised approach, more interfacing and liaising and that is where someone like you can add more value. It could be anything. Stuff I see being exported a lot is IT, web and software development, design, printing and custom manufacturing. There's a booming market in medical and health services companies seeking to attract customers from abroad to visit them in Thailand.

Standard of English and clarity of communication is poor with many Thais and that can REALLY frustrate and put off any international clients who may want to do business with them. What should take 5 minutes to explain ends up being a 30 minute conversation and the transaction is fraught with fear that some miss-understanding will lead to mistakes. Sometimes all they need is one native English speaker who can think, anticipate and speak to customers at their level...

It's 2013, globalization has taken affect. Where you are in the world doesn't matter much anymore. I work with some pretty young guys from places like India and the Philippines, who are from very modest backgrounds, and they're making a hell of a lot more than me. Not only are they around 10 years younger than me, they're also from some small, shitty city / town in a 3rd world country.
I think you're right if income is the primary and only concern.

But if I were living in Thailand, I would want "local relevancy" too, which is what a lot of remote workers miss. Working online doesn't give you that. I like having people around me working every day. I can only handle working remotely for a month or two at a time. And even then, I like hearing familiar voices over the phone.

Very true about that obsession... Lack of formal qualifications will be a major, though not impossible challenge to overcome.

On that note, it's interesting the number of Thais I see leaving Thailand to get a degree in a Western Country, aspiring to how much it will elevate their status and income when they return to Thailand. But then, after a couple of years living in the West, they no longer have any desire to return to Thailand as living here is better.

Plus, they realise that degree won't result in squat for them unless they return to pursue their career in Thailand so they abandon that goal too. What do they do then? They become small business owners and some end up making and living 10 times better than they would have in Thailand, degree or no degree!

dab69
June 13th, 2013, 05:55
But then, have chatted with Thais with IT degrees that have
worked in the west and moved back, saying their standard of living
was better at home.