PDA

View Full Version : Telephone problem!

June 3rd, 2006, 17:45
Hello all!

Since yesterday morning (Friday 2nd June) I have been unable to call my boyfriend in Thailand. I just get an engaged tone or nothing. He can call me, but I just cannot get through to him at all.

Anybody know what is happening??

Smiles
June 3rd, 2006, 19:28
Same same . . . but for me it is a week now.

Each time I get a dial tone (IF I can get a dial tone) an operator comes on and in Thai & English says things like "cannot connect to the number you have dialed" etec etc etc. Sometimes I get nothing at all ... just dead air. This is very different from the experience up to now with our calling . . . . i.e. the odd time there is a "no connect" message, but after a few more tries we usually get through. Quite strange & disconcerting.

At first I thought this may have something to do with the change in numbers needed to ring cell phones in Thailand (from 9 to 10 I believe) but that is not apparently happening until Sept. 1st (anyone know anything different?). Meanwhile I cannot connect and I miss his voice!

Cheers ...

June 3rd, 2006, 19:47
I just tried again and this time I got through!!!

Wonderful to hear his voice again..............(do I sound like a sad old rice queen or what??)

:drunken: :bounce: :cheers: :geek:

wowpow
June 3rd, 2006, 22:33
AIS after it was sold to the Singaporeans lost 20% of it;s customers. It started an aggressive cut price policy with free daytime calls and cheapo evening ones. The other operators were forced to follow suit. The numbers of calls soared and the networks and particularly the links between networks are unable to cope with the volume. You are probably getting network unavailable not engaged.

Smiles
June 4th, 2006, 07:50
Thanks for your observations TeePee ... I think that's probably exactly what's been happening.
Although I've been able to connect to his cell phone before this week, I did notice that it was getting more and more hit & miss . . . 2 or 3 attempts to connect before success for the last month or so. Not enough to whine about.
But now ... no luck since last Monday. A total piss off.

Suphot uses the pay-as-you-go 1-2-Go (I think it's called) cards and I think they are quite popular in Thailand. Unfortunately, a bit too popular by the looks of it. I hope they start putting some money into making their network system more robust.

Cheers ...

June 4th, 2006, 07:54
Maybe im just lucky.............but never seem to have this problem.

catawampuscat
June 4th, 2006, 09:30
I couldn't believe how long my regular was chatting away one night..When I questioned him he told me there was a 5 baht "talk for hours
for the same 5 baht promotion" and of course, teenagers and others talked for hours and tied up the network.. Another time I was in the street
and the regular needed me to do something for him (deposit baht in the bank) and I said I would call him back in 10 minutes when I reached the
bank..He said no problem and we just stayed on the line as it was the same 5 baht for a minute or an hour..Crazy!!!
There are peak times when one gets network busy or network failure and cannot complete a call, so grin and bear it...
I also also heard from friends and family outside of Thailand, that they have a big problem getting thru to me and they start to worry that something
has happened..

June 4th, 2006, 17:54
Still happening occasionally, got through a couple of times and then no luck for hours on end!!!

It is so frustrating!

But you are right Smiles, it has often taken three or four attempts to connect in the past, but I have always been able to get through in the end, so things have got a whole lot worse all of a sudden.

I hope they do invest and sort it out soon..............