PDA

View Full Version : Sawatdee Hopes & Dreams...an Important Sawatdee Update

Surfcrest
June 2nd, 2013, 11:17
Sawatdee Update

Members,

Some great suggestions came out of the Sawatdee Hopes and Dreams thread that Bucknaway started for us on May 11th. Dante, jinks and I have been working on a new development for the board that should allow us to modernize, freshen up the site and add the functionality that you the membership suggested.

In anticipation of the new Sawatdee-Gay-Thailand.com and the new platform that we will be operating with, we will need each of you to verify your personal details in your profile and ensure that the email address we have for you on file, in your profile is accurate and valid.

Your individual passwords for log in will not move with us from this platform to the new platform. As such, you will be required to re-set your password when you first log on to the new Sawatdee-Gay-Thailand.com platform. To do this, you will need a valid email address on file to ensure a smooth transition of your User Name and Posting History from this site to the new Board. Our address will stay the same. We thought that it is important to let you know now, so you can verify your information and so you can easily make the jump with us to the new platform once we are up and running.
More information will be made available shortly as we get closer to the move date................................. :ura1:

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Surfcrest

Beachlover
June 2nd, 2013, 16:04
Will the old existing posts on this board be exported to the new platform?

Out of curiosity, what platform are you going to use? Personally, I don't think phpBB is a great platform, which is why I've never used it.

jinks
June 2nd, 2013, 18:16
WE, the royal one and admin team are testing the new platform... VERY different.

Existing posts will be exported (inshallah) as will signatures.

dante
June 2nd, 2013, 19:27
Out of curiosity, what platform are you going to use?

vBulletin v4. We purchased and tested with the latest v5, but decided it was too new of a software platform to deploy publicly. Instead, it's best to wait 6 - 12 months for it mature in terms of both, the software itself and the community that supports it (eg. themes, mods, plugins, etc.). Whereas vBulletin v4 has without question been through the rigorous test of time, as it powers some of the largest and most popular online communities out there.

We hope you enjoy the new changes, coming soon!

joe552
June 3rd, 2013, 02:45
thanks for clearing that up, dante :dontknow: just joking - I didn't expect to understand.

Sooty
June 3rd, 2013, 14:59
That will be interesting. I always use a one-time email address to register for Forums like this, and once I've hit the Verification link I never visit the email address again on the basis that I never ever believe the Privacy Policy that's published and want to avoid email spam. Plus this type of Board never has great security so anyone who wants to hack it to get email addresses probably won't have much difficulty.

Surfcrest
June 3rd, 2013, 15:08
Which is fine and you can go back to doing this once we've made the jump.
But in order to make the jump, you'll need a valid email address for us to send your initial log in details to.
I'd really hate to loose you Sooty!

Surfcrest

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Surfcrest/gothic_oriental_black_cat.jpg

Sooty
June 3rd, 2013, 16:17
I'd really hate to loose you Sooty!The local manager of my bookie William Hill (http://www.williamhill.com/) has offered to pay me not to join up; he's been losing so much money recently on every bet I make with him that kjun12 or a447 will rush to respond to my latest post. However if you can make a post naming The Great Changeover Day I'll try to make sure I have an email address in time that you can use (my favourite phrase in customer service) "just this once".

netrix
June 3rd, 2013, 23:25
cool! will it have a mobile version?
and can we get some cool plugins for liking a post or giving reputation points, etc?

Marsilius
June 4th, 2013, 10:30
...we will need each of you to verify your personal details in your profile and [u]ensure that the email address we have for you on file, in your profile is accurate and valid[/]...

Am I missing something here? If I go to "user control panel" and then select "profile" from the left-hand margin, I cannot see a location for an email address, let alone any means to check/amend it.

Apologies in advance if I am being particularly myopic or stupid.

Surfcrest
June 4th, 2013, 12:21
Marsillius,

The Black Bar up above on this page where you see;
Logout new messages Control Panel Forum Search Board Features
Put your mouse over Control Panel and follow the following drop down menus

Control Panel
Edit Account Settings

then click and the next page opens up.

Edit account Settings

E-mail address ......................................you'll see it over here to the right

(Make sure you have a valid one in the box)

Submit

And you're done, if you need any help, let me know!

Surfcrest

dante
June 4th, 2013, 13:38
cool! will it have a mobile version?
and can we get some cool plugins for liking a post or giving reputation points, etc?

Yes, there is full support for responsive (ie. mobile) themes, so it should look great on your smartphones and tablets. If it doesn't, just raise hell, and I'll make sure it does.

Yes, there will be a "like" post feature as well. As for reputation, I'm uncertain at the moment. I've thought about it, but have yet to bring it up with Surfcrest or jinks, as we're busy with other things at the moment. When the time comes, I'll ask about having it implemented. I personally think it's an excellent idea for SGT, as in my eyes, it's a great tool for self-moderation within the community.

Sooty
June 4th, 2013, 14:36
As for reputation, I'm uncertain at the moment.I think it's a great idea, all the Board bullies will be able to gang up on posters they particularly dislike and send their reputation into the toilet.

dante
June 4th, 2013, 21:23
I think it's a great idea, all the Board bullies will be able to gang up on posters they particularly dislike and send their reputation into the toilet.

From my experience, the problem is generally the other way around. Not people ganging up to give someone negative reputation, but instead, cliques of members banding together and giving each other positive reputation to inflate their status. This only really holds true on business orientated forums where money / income is at stake though, so doubt it holds true for SGT.

June 5th, 2013, 09:17
I thought the Forum had something like this a few years ago - it was called "karma points" or something similar and members could assign karma points to other posters. On a Forum that trades mostly in opinions and insults I'm not sure it serves the same value as a similar feature on my Board where members who routinely give expert and valuable advice on the Board gain "trust" points from other posters. That way they become the "go to" guy. However that's based on objective standards not on some sort of beauty contest.

Surfcrest
June 5th, 2013, 16:59
Another Update;

When we switch over to the new vBulletin site we will be at the same address http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com
By navigating to http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com when we move to vBulletin...the site will look very different than how it looks today here on the phpBB.

You will see at the top right hand corner;

user name......password......Help......Register
For your first visit to the new site you will click Register

Where it says User Name, you will enter your Sawatdee Gay Thailand user name.
Because we moved all of your User Names over already, the system should tell you;

That username is already in use or does not meet the administrator's standards.
If you are _________ and you have forgotten your password, click here.

click

This will take you to the next page;

Lost Password Recovery Form

Enter the email address you verified with us on this site.

Type in the Image Verification that we use to filter some of the spam.

Click request user name and password now at the bottom right.

The system will then send you an email to your verified email address telling you your system generated password.

When you return to the site next, you can log on with your user name and the system generated password.

You can edit your profile and change your password by going to;

Settings (top right corner) when you are logged on. click

Then on the left hand side;

My Settings
My Account
Edit email & password

Here you can change your password or your primary email address.
If ever you need a password reset....it is important to keep your email address current and valid.

Hopefully this will help you all through the initial Registration process, once we move to the new vBulletin Sawatdee Gay Thailand

Surfcrest

Surfcrest
June 7th, 2013, 13:34
Re: Re-joined members

Some members have left Sawatdee-Gay-Thailand.com at one point of time and have had to re-join.

For some of you this means your current user name is not connected to your former user name, or your current posts are not connected to your old posts.
Some of you may need to have your joined dates adjusted to the old date.
Some of you have issues with the user name you are using today because your old name was deleted.

If you have any of these issues, I would like to try and have these issues resolved for you before you log on to the new site.
Please send me an email (surfcrest@hotmail.com) or a PM as soon as you can.

Surfcrest

Sooty
June 9th, 2013, 16:01
I'm hoping the RSS feeds don't change. Or to be more precise, I hope that the Gay SE Asia feed posts more than headlines; the other two post details.