PDA

View Full Version : Farang loses everything in Thailand, including his dignity

Beachlover
May 31st, 2013, 11:39
This is one of the videos Timmberty was talking about but didn't post a link or any specific reference to...

It's a documentary film on a farang who loses everything (or gives it away, depending on how you view it) in Thailand. Called My Thai Bride: http://www.mythaibridefilm.com

Got to feel sorry for the guy towards the end... such sad and pathetic sight to be left near destitute and broke at that age.

Credit to Lucky You on PBB for posting it: http://pattayabitchboard.com/open-forum ... y-t53.html (http://pattayabitchboard.com/open-forum/to-fill-some-bored-time-at-home-warning-non-gay-t53.html)

[youtube:977gbkoc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUIbwO05JAA[/youtube:977gbkoc]

It's in widescreen format so you're better off hitting the YouTube icon and watching it there.

What do you think?

Mancs
May 31st, 2013, 13:43
I think that when we give away small money at the beginning we should realise that we could give away everything we have. It is sad but a google on thai/farang relationships brings us good advice.

dab69
May 31st, 2013, 13:54
"What do you think?

I think I have better things to do
rather than visiting PBB, let alone
watching a 54 minute video
to tell you what I think.

someone has entirely
too much time on their hands.

cdnmatt
May 31st, 2013, 16:58
Poor guy. I remember staying at a hotel in Khon Kaen for the first few months, and it seemed like every couple weeks almost someone exactly like that would show up. Alone, sad, sitting by themselves at a table having a beer, looking lost. Start chatting them up, and sure enough, they just got taken for everything. House, car, motorbike, bank account -- everything gone to the wife, who sent him to the curb.

Nirish guy
June 1st, 2013, 04:52
yeah poor guy, very sobering video and definitely one to recommend to anyone thinking of taking the plunge and moving to Thailand to be with their new Thai partner perhaps. Mind you to be fair to his wife I wish I could have understood what she was saying too to hear her side of the story ( if there WAS another side to the story that is :-(

Matt, I'm sure you watched that and thought "wow, maybe I'd a lucky escape after all" getting away as you did with your life (and limbs) and bank balance still intact, although you do have to question the guys sanity handing everything over like there, I mean there's trust and there's trust and surely moving to a strange Country and an unknown culture were you ARE wide open to be taken to the cleaners most people would endeavour to protect their assets or at least limit the risk of enforced homelessness and ending up penniless in SOME way, saying that I'm sure all the guys that it's happened to would say that they never thought it would happen to them :-(

timmberty
June 1st, 2013, 05:42
poor guy ? fucking idiot might be more to the point ... jack the lad i can sell anything ...
i hope i dont come across as a beachlover here .. but he gave his wealth to his wife, built a house worth how much ? looks nothing special in a not very decent area .. 20-30 grand maybe ... few grand for a pig farm another 2 or 3 grand ..
if a guy of his age has a total wealth of 30-40 grand at the age of 50 then he wasnt as good at selling things as he seems to think...
and how bad are his eyes if he thinks she is a beauty ?? face like a bag of spanners .. tho the dog was cute.
i think guys who end up like this in thailand, chances are they would end up the same where ever they are ..
these people all know or have heard the sob stories .. yet they still fall for it ..

ftj_taw
June 1st, 2013, 09:17
poor guy ? fucking idiot might be more to the point ... jack the lad i can sell anything ...
i hope i dont come across as a beachlover here .. but he gave his wealth to his wife, built a house worth how much ? looks nothing special in a not very decent area .. 20-30 grand maybe ... few grand for a pig farm another 2 or 3 grand ..
if a guy of his age has a total wealth of 30-40 grand at the age of 50 then he wasnt as good at selling things as he seems to think...
and how bad are his eyes if he thinks she is a beauty ?? face like a bag of spanners .. tho the dog was cute.
i think guys who end up like this in thailand, chances are they would end up the same where ever they are ..
these people all know or have heard the sob stories .. yet they still fall for it ..

And WTF is your point. That a man in a middle age crisis is stupid because he wants to feel he is loved, or he must be a dummy anyway as he has so little money at age 50. Really big of you to characterize a person by how much money they have. Grow up man.

bucknaway
June 1st, 2013, 09:21
All I could think of as I watched was "STOP DRINKING!" Sure it would not have solved his every problem but his being surrounded by empty beer bottles was not helping his situation.

timmberty
June 1st, 2013, 16:51
ftj_taw, bit to close to home is it ??
i'm 51 cant say i've yet felt the need to give my weath away, im not rich but far from poor...
i have lived as long as this jack the lad .. wow is me poor fella .. it will take a lot more than him and you feeling sorry for him to make an impression on me.
as for stop drinking, bucky these are people who do nothing else but drink .. take a walk down beach road, you will find one in almost every bar ... sometimes you get a few together ... they're sharing a drink they call loneliness, but its better then drinking alone.

witchhunt
June 1st, 2013, 17:37
.. take a walk down beach road, you will find one in almost every bar ... sometimes you get a few together ... they're sharing a drink they call loneliness, but its better then drinking alone.

Agreed I have noticed how a lot of them frequent the Green Bar and throw shit on all other drinkers. Desperates.

timmberty
June 1st, 2013, 19:03
witchhunt im sure i read in another post, you advising people to go to p.m. if their posts are not really anything to do with the thread ... then you write that !! irony, or do you think its ok for you to act the asshole but not others ??

back on topic ... people can sit in a bar and have a drink with out being called a drunk ... its knowing where to stop.
same as giving away money, he felt needed ... how can a man get so low as to feel needed by a prostitute..
i sat next to a guy on a plane on the way back from thailand a couple of years ago, he had gone to sort his wifes visa out so she could come to live in england with him. she wasnt a prossy tho he assured me, she worked in a hotel and as soon as he saw her he fell in love. they agreed to get married straight way !!! desperate or just strange...
at the airport on my way out my last trip i was speaking to 3 guys who all have thai wifes .. one is on his 3rd wife .. he cant understand why he keeps picking the bad ones .. one had his wife come to live with him in england .. shes gone to live with a guy in germany, much younger than him.. so hes off to find another one ...
these people just cant help themselves .. self esteem maybe.. i just smirk to myself ...

ftj_taw
June 2nd, 2013, 09:50
ftj_taw, bit to close to home is it ??
i'm 51 cant say i've yet felt the need to give my weath away, im not rich but far from poor...

Exactly what I mean. The first thing you jump to is that I must have done the same thing. Yes, my first love when I was very young did take full advantage of me. I am amazed that you have not had a similar experience, but then maybe you have never loved anyone so deeply that you forget to keep a detachment from them {BINGO}. No I have never given away all my wealth and I am close to being rich and more then well off which brings me to my next subject. The nicest most decent person i have ever met is very poor. Why? Because this ex seminary student gives a lot of his money away and in his mid seventies he is still doing that. Money has absolutely nothing to do with someone's value as a person.
People fall in love all the time for many reasons and it is so easy when you are in love to lose your head. Had you ever loved that deeply you might even know that {see bingo above}. Now if I had never lost my head in love, I would still understand and feel pity for this man. The fact that it happens so often ought to be a clue to you that maybe this is a human condition and not some loser trait. In fact the real loser is the man who never loves unconditionally. Frankly, I can't believe you are 51 and so lacking in empathy. Tell me, are you one of Beachlover's hydras? You sound just like him.

timmberty
June 2nd, 2013, 13:46
HYDRA= end

Beachlover
June 2nd, 2013, 16:20
For once, I actually agree with a lot of the points Timmberty makes. Even if I don't like Timmberty as a poster, I can differentiate between what someone says and who they are.

The farang in the documentary film is way in over his head in an environment he does NOT understand makes some extremely foolish and flawed decisions. I think a lot of Westerners who come to Thailand do this. Thankfully, most don't end up losing as much as this guy did.

I found the comments he made at the beginning of the film quite flawed and indicative of his ignorance and poorly considered conclusions.

If you read the background story on the website though, the director says that the guy is fortunately, now living a successful but single life in the UK again. So it's nice to know he managed to get back on his feet, financially at least. Now I wonder if he'll be back in Thailand and take a different path this time.