PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen Pee Mak? Record breaking Thai film

Beachlover
May 27th, 2013, 13:13
Anyone here seen Pee Mak? It's a Thai movie released earlier this year and has broken box office records for Thai movies in Thailand.

I saw it recently and it is quite funny and witty. The humour is very very Thai.

I like it how they take these "hi-so" light-skinned actors and make them look and act like simple country boys LOL.

[youtube:3guxg2uz]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9xbj_UK1pc[/youtube:3guxg2uz]

If you see it and your Thai isn't very good... then it's good to know in advance that part of what makes it funny comes from the fact that the movie is set 200-300 years ago but the characters talk using modern day words, slang and references.

colmx
May 28th, 2013, 01:33
We went to see it a few weeks ago... It dragged out a bit towards the end... but overall was quite funny...
Especially with the play on the name of the character played by Mario

The night that we saw it we introduced a new "friend" named Bay to the rest of our gang and said his name was Mark

A few days later it was "Marks" birthday and we brought him to Dave with us... When it came to time for the Birthday cake Sa-moke (Lady boy LipSync Act) screamed at our table asking what the birthday boys name was... and of course the answer from everyone was that his name was Mark...

I think that Bay will now forever be known as Mark!

Magnum
May 28th, 2013, 12:14
God, Thais are really childish, my 7yo nephew would laugh about those jokes. However, Mario is a cutie (although little chubby now) and it should be a good idea to see this movie with BF. Unfortunately I'm not in Thailand....

Beachlover
May 30th, 2013, 14:58
Yeah, the Thais do have a different sense of humour... can be childish but also endearing.

I actually thought it was well paced compared to other Thai movies I've seen and liked... no slow or boring bits. Most other Thai films I've seen had lengthy bits in the middle which got a bit boring.

I think Mario is handsome but he will need to bulk up a bit now that he's into his twenties... the joke about his American Dad is funny because he is actually half German.