PDA

View Full Version : High season low season 100%

vnman
May 25th, 2013, 09:03
If you would consider high season to be 100% when it comes to bars that are open and boys available. What would that percentage be in low season?

Manforallseasons
May 25th, 2013, 12:43
Your question is no longer easy to answer as now our high seasons are nothing like the past obviously some more in high season but high season is not very long anymore.

scottish-guy
May 25th, 2013, 14:45
IMHO "High Season" is probably no more than 6 or 7 weeks now - early Dec to mid Jan.

At other times "High Season" is the same as "Low Season" 10 yrs ago

To try to answer the question - at it's very peak nowadays (only 3 weeks mid-Dec-early Jan) if that is 100% then the worst of the Low Season might be 30-40% - but that's just from casual observation and as I have only visited in HS twice I think, only a personal opinion based on limited experience.

MiniMee
May 25th, 2013, 17:14
only a personal opinion based on limited experience.

Indeed. When was the last time you were there and how many times have you visited in the last 5 years?

scottish-guy
May 25th, 2013, 18:42
Mini Mee - I was unaware I was obliged to keep you informed of my movements.

The phrase "Fuck Off" sprang immediately to mind - but as I always try to be helpful - 6 times in the last 5 years and one of those visits in "High" season.

Happy now? Or do you have a quota I have to fulfil in order to be allowed to comment without subjecting myself to your self-appointed scrutiny?

:hello2:

aot871
May 25th, 2013, 19:36
Not really part of this topic , but the gay hotels such as the cafe royale have their high season rates from 1st nov untill the end of april , still trying to bleed the punters dry

arsenal
May 25th, 2013, 21:13
Minimee. I simply don't understand why you posted the remarks you did. Unless you are one of SGs 'enemies' in a cunning disguise. Come on now, reveal yourself.

MiniMee
May 25th, 2013, 23:16
Mini Mee - I was unaware I was obliged to keep you informed of my movements.... but as I always try to be helpful - 6 times in the last 5 years and one of those visits in "High" season.

No obligation - and your 'movements' are your own business.

Your response to my questions suggest that you visit approx once per year. But since you did not responded to the "When was the last time you were there" part of my question, it may be that you used to visit more often, but haven't been for a few years. But either way, as you said, you do indeded have limited experience.

I simply don't understand why you posted the remarks you did. Unless you are one of SGs 'enemies'.

No, I am no ones enemy. Are you SG's apologist?

scottish-guy
May 26th, 2013, 00:57
Minimee - now you have dismissed me as having "limited experience" with 6 visits in the last 5 years, could you please indicate what incidence of visiting you consider to be necessary before one can give an informed opinion ??

timmberty
May 26th, 2013, 01:16
if high season is 100% what is low season ?
well im sure more than 4 out of every 10 bars are open in sunee, i'd go for closer to 80%, boys same as last year.. again 80% of what is considered high season ..
as for boys town, not a place i go to much, but when i was there i didnt notice any bars shut or any less boys around than at any other time ive been there.. customers are a bit thinner on the ground, tho the customers are certainly not any thinner...
as for bangkok, soi twilight seemed a lot less crowded of both customers and boys .. but then as i was only there for a short time over the course of 5 nights, i can't really say it was any better or worse than normal.
cinema was as busy as ever and all for the heady entry price of 60 baht.
as for what gay thailand was like 10 years ago, what does it matter ? you cant turn the clock back, so it's now, the future, and not the past that matters.
danny99, provides some great advice on the gay se asia forum with regards to this .. manila, go back to 1971 and there is plenty of cock to be had in the bunker of a golf course ...

corky
May 26th, 2013, 01:18
IMHO "High Season" is probably no more than 6 or 7 weeks now - early Dec to mid Jan.

At other times "High Season" is the same as "Low Season" 10 yrs ago

To try to answer the question - at it's very peak nowadays (only 3 weeks mid-Dec-early Jan) if that is 100% then the worst of the Low Season might be 30-40% - but that's just from casual observation and as I have only visited in HS twice I think, only a personal opinion based on limited experience.

This is very misleading for first time visitors to Thailand.
Your comments may apply to Pattaya but certainly it's not the case in Bangkok.
Bangkok has a high season for tourists that lasts from mid-October through to after Songkran in mid-April. Take a look in Silom Soi 2 and Soi 4 and you will see them packed at some stage every night during that period.
Even in the low season those Sois in Bangkok are busier than most gay areas in Pattaya during the (so called) High Season.

I wish that posters here would be more specific when they post on the Gay Thailand forum - there is much more to Thailand than only Pattaya.

scottish-guy
May 26th, 2013, 01:47
I think your comment is fair enough - I did have Pattaya in mind when I answered rather than BKK, simply because I prefer and have more experience of Pattaya - though not enough experience (13 visits over 12 years) to have a valid opinion as Minimee has kindly pointed out.

:sign5:

timmberty
May 26th, 2013, 02:05
one of my relations has been to thailand over 50 times in 30 years .. he hasnt been for over 10 years now tho..
i wouldnt be asking him how busy the bars have been over the past couple of years ...
where do you get your 30 to 40% from scotty .. up to date info is what people are looking for, rather than what it was like a few years ago.

arsenal
May 26th, 2013, 07:43
Minime: No. I would have made exactly the same comment regardless of who you had written about. Even those I have had disagreements with. Very few on this board need or want and apologist.

timmberty
May 26th, 2013, 07:57
Minime: No. I would have made exactly the same comment regardless of who you had written about. Even those I have had disagreements with. Very few on this board need or want and apologist.
so scotty has amitted he is posting about limited experiance .. as far as im aware hes not been to thailand for 2 years .. thats just from reading the boards .. he has quoted that 6 or 7 out of every 10 bars in sunee plaza are shut .. and you feel the need to defend him ??
are you not in pattaya now arsenal ? have a walk around the plaza later today .. count how many bars are open or shut .. same with boyztown .. do let us know after your walk if mini was right to question the advice being given out .
i look forward to your reply.

arsenal
May 26th, 2013, 10:25
timmberty: You are funny with your slightly incoherent posts and hatred of capital letters. The original op used the word consider which makes it clear that a degree of opinion is required. By that same reasoning asking about a percentage regarding something as inexact as bars, opening, boys available is bound to ellicit opinion based answers rather than facts.
However please continue to post with youe eccentric form of written English. Sometimes I print out your posts and get the beginner level students to correct them. As I say, you are funny.

MiniMee
May 26th, 2013, 13:33
Minimee - now you have dismissed me as having "limited experience" with 6 visits in the last 5 years, could you please indicate what incidence of visiting you consider to be necessary before one can give an informed opinion ??

No, I am agreeing with you. It was you who first mentioned your own limited experience in this thread. I think everyone is free to post an opinion on this board, but each of us are equally free to place a value on those opinions as we see fit.

Now, when was the last time you visited Thailand?

scottish-guy
May 26th, 2013, 14:10
Timmberty - I have "admitted" I am posting from limited experience? No, I openly stated it - just to be conciliatory because I just knew somebody would start nit-picking..and guess what...they did.

My 30-40% was a comment on my personal impression of the general level of activity during Low Season as opposed to High Season - based on my own observation and my opinion only. At no point did I say 6 or 7 bars out of 10 are closed in low season.

E.G. - if you consider a typical evening in Sunee (because you mention it) in say May and an evening in December I'm saying its more than twice as busy in December. It will be more busy because of a combination of more bars being open , more boys being available, more tourists visiting, and the time of year.

If it is getting to the stage where a regular visitor can not post an opinion (including stating that it is only an opinion) without being attacked and having their words and travel history picked at by the likes of Timmberty and Minimee, then some people are going to be deterred from posting on this forum.

Minimee - I will not be giving you my travel history because I don't need to and it is irrelevant.
Even had I not visited for FIVE years (not the case) it is irrelevant - Low season has not got busier in that time, it's got quieter (in my limited-experience, worthless, humble, personal opinion).

stevehadders
May 26th, 2013, 14:51
In my experience - I have visited a minimum of 2 per year for last 14 years, with average of 2.5 times , with my last visit in April from Songkran into May - I wold say it depends upon the area and bar. For example, toy boys and funny boys, in Low season had a good number of boys, so not as low as 40 per cent, but operating more at 60 per cent of capacity that they experience in December. Some of the bars on soi 1 of BT were more at 50 per cent as Scotty pointed out. So, on a positive note, there is still plenty of fun to be had ..........lets look at the positives

timmberty
May 26th, 2013, 15:00
ah ok fair enough .. when you said 30 to 40% compared to 100% i thought you was talking about 30 to 40% less bars open as well as everything else being less busy.. i dont think anyone is nit-picking here, if you are making statements, that even you said where misleading, then theres no harm in clearing things up is there ?
we are meant to be encouraging people to go to gay thailand, not saying to them ' nothings open, dont bother going '

arsenal do you also print out your own posts and ask your students whos arse you are licking. we have done a thread on english, it was established quite some time ago im not 30 to 40% bothered what people think about my english litrature skills or spelling .. and being as txt talk is the in thing and spelling now no longer count towards grades. i bet your students are rather impressed with my english ...
p.s. does my use of the word your, rather than you're wind you up, as much as someone who pokes fun at your* beloved scotty ?
* OOPS there capitals to. too, two, also, aswell ?? help me teacher !!!!!!!!!!!!!
arsenal ever thought about going into politics ? your reply to my question was perfectly side stepped so as not to upset your beloved scotty.
ive just read this thread again arsenal, you have made 3 posts in it, not one has anything to do with the thread. do you tell your students to talk rubbish and say something, even if they have nothing to add ?

pray do tell what does youe mean ? i shall send this to your students and see if they can correct it for you.
ah the joys of the nazi spelling police.

May 26th, 2013, 16:13
Im just back but I never see much of a difference in Bamgkok.

arsenal
May 26th, 2013, 17:30
timmberty: My students know I talk rubbish so they need no telling. Does your use or otherwise of capitals and 'your' instead of 'you're' wind me up. No. Very few things on this board wind me up and certainly not a lightght such as you. As for my beloved scotty. Well sadly I fear our differing opinions on how best to enjoy porridge will forever keep us apart.

firecat69
May 26th, 2013, 18:42
In my experience - I have visited a minimum of 2 per year for last 14 years, with average of 2.5 times , with my last visit in April from Songkran into May - I wold say it depends upon the area and bar. For example, toy boys and funny boys, in Low season had a good number of boys, so not as low as 40 per cent, but operating more at 60 per cent of capacity that they experience in December. Some of the bars on soi 1 of BT were more at 50 per cent as Scotty pointed out. So, on a positive note, there is still plenty of fun to be had ..........lets look at the positives

Also there seem to be more boys then ever on GayRomeo!

christianpfc
May 26th, 2013, 20:02
If I were a bar owner, I would post a diagram with number of customers/boys/drinks sold per day (or week) over a year, calibrated to maximum=100.

Fortunately, I am not a bar owner. But maybe we have some bar owners reading this and can provide the numbers?

scottish-guy
May 26th, 2013, 23:55
I wouldn't hold out much hope of that Christian - the tax authorities might be watching, not to mention the tea money people :evil4:

adman5000
May 27th, 2013, 04:47
Vnman asked: If you would consider high season to be 100% when it comes to bars that are open and boys available. What would that percentage be in low season?

I think as some others have said, it depends on WHERE you are asking about (Bangkok vs Pattaya, area of each city, etc) and WHEN (what year). I think there has been a significant change (both cities in the go-go areas) to a much less active high season than I used to observe pre-2007. There used to be much more competition trying to off the guys during high season. But the past several years I find minimal competition.
I have not been around every low season, so it is more difficult for me to comment. But several years ago, I was in Pattaya during what was supposed to be low season, and found lot more activity than I expected.
Overall, I would agree with the 60% figure as an approximation of low season activity/high season activity based on my experience. But as others have said, when there are fewer customers as well, there is more than enough fun to be had.

kuayai
May 28th, 2013, 03:26
I posted on this thread a few days ago but it did not appear. It could have been a mistake or censorship. The post did go a bit off topic but that happens all the time on most forums. I did not insult anybody just made the observation that these days with Planet Romeo and other internet sites high and low season mean very little. Its now possible for a gay young man working at your local Seven Eleven to join PR and earn some pocket money without going anywhere near Sunee or go go bars.

Anyway I would be interested to know what happened to my original post and if indeed there is not a good explanation then you will have lost another poster for good.

Beachlover
May 28th, 2013, 18:50
Funny to see Scottish going through a classic SGF interrogation. :rolling:

If you would consider high season to be 100% when it comes to bars that are open and boys available. What would that percentage be in low season?
Are you referring to Pattaya, Bangkok or the whole country?

I reckon people should specify which place they're referring to when asking questions instead of assuming everything posted is referring to Pattaya unless stated otherwise.

I don't notice much or any difference in Bangkok but Pattaya does seem to go awfully quiet in the middle of the year. Similar to Phuket.