PDA

View Full Version : The Edit Button

arsenal
May 22nd, 2013, 22:15
There used to be an edit button that allowed posts to be edited up to 8 hours after posting. It has disappeared. Where has it gone?

jinks
May 22nd, 2013, 22:17
This thread will explain.

edit-delete-mode-tome-has-been-changed-t28423.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/edit-delete-mode-tome-has-been-changed-t28423.html)

This thread joins it in "Posting forum"

arsenal
May 22nd, 2013, 22:29
ok. Then please feel free to delete this entire post.

Marsilius
May 23rd, 2013, 00:22
The linked post, posed as it is in terms of "it is my understanding...", doesn't actually categorically explain the issue.

It seems to suggest that only a single opportunity to edit will be allowed in future (as well as the more limited window of time in which you will be allowed to do so).

Is that correct? If so, may I ask why these changes were felt necessary?

Brad the Impala
May 23rd, 2013, 00:42
Marsilius note that the date on the linked post shows this change was effected during the predecessors tenure. No reason was I think given at the time, although I can imagine one or two.

Marsilius
May 23rd, 2013, 00:52
Thanks for the clarification, Brad. May I request, in that case, that the new regime considers reversing the decision?

martin911
May 23rd, 2013, 01:12
yes - one good reason to reverse that decision would be the advent of postin g by mobile devices !!!

I find they are a nightmare to postproperly from and the edit function is neeeded

and I only imagine that moblie posting will only acelerate as time goes on

if possible can we have a response on this unlike other questions that seem to be unawnswered by the powers haha that be???

Surfcrest
May 23rd, 2013, 03:52
The linked post, posed as it is in terms of "it is my understanding...", doesn't actually categorically explain the issue.

It seems to suggest that only a single opportunity to edit will be allowed in future (as well as the more limited window of time in which you will be allowed to do so).

Is that correct? If so, may I ask why these changes were felt necessary?

If after 2 hours you wish to delete or edit your post please PM the management.

Management changed here on May 1st and so if that policy doesn't fit the board any longer, what would be a fair change?
It would be good to continue protecting subsequent posts from being taken out of context by a later edit though.

Please let me know your suggestions!

Surfcrest

Surfcrest
May 23rd, 2013, 04:09
yes - one good reason to reverse that decision would be the advent of postin g by mobile devices !!!

I find they are a nightmare to postproperly from and the edit function is neeeded

and I only imagine that moblie posting will only acelerate as time goes on

if possible can we have a response on this unlike other questions that seem to be unawnswered by the powers haha that be???

My last few trips to Thailand have been with my iPad.
What I've resorted to doing, is using an "Office" based App to lay the post down in Word format from the forum and then back to the forum when posting through cut & paste.
Not only does this allow me an easy spell check function and to clean it up in terms of spelling, punctuation, misued words etc.......
But it allows me to use the "Quote" function better and to back the post up in case of a sudden lost connection.
Currently I'm using Smart Office 2. Some "Office" based Apps aren't compatible with the phpBB software and won't allow you to paste from the App back to the forum.
i was using "Office HD" for example, but the paste function doesn't work and documents seem to vanish at times.
Whatever App you are looking at, I'd recommend trying a free version first to see if you feel comfortable with it before buying a pro version (lol).
I think Smart Office 2 was in the $5 - 10 range, although most are less than $5.

If I miss your questions...send me an email! (surfcrest@hotmail.com)

Surfcrest

Smiles
May 23rd, 2013, 04:18
My suggestion would be to discard any time limits on editing, but leave the function whereby the editing ability is completely closed once a another message is posted.
That way, the post one wants to edit is only open to editing as long as it is still 'Last Post'. Thus any edits remain in the spelling and 'afterthought' zone and not the 'change context' zone in response to a subsequent post ... i.e. the area which most upsets folks.
Most members I'm sure do not object to spelling and grammar edits.

jvt22222
May 23rd, 2013, 07:38
In the past, when making postings on behalf of TAKE CARE!!, I have made an inadvertent factual error in the post ..... like a date or the time of an event, for example ..... the error may not be brought to my attention till the next day or so ..... with the edit function "alive" that long it would permit the correction of such errors.

Marsilius
May 23rd, 2013, 11:55
In general, I agree with Smiles's suggestion above. But sometimes posts are flying thick and fast, in which case I would suggest that the capability to edit is left available for, say, at least one hour, even if subsequent postings appear in the meantime.

timmberty
May 23rd, 2013, 14:15
in the interest of national security i belive all things should be considered !
we are not just talking about how to get some cock here after all are we !!
if its that important you could always post it again..

Smiles
May 23rd, 2013, 21:56
Take a hike *****. {deleted - personal attack - naught naught - Smiles -- hehehe jinks}
Amazing how one dunderhead can make a message board career out of continually stating the obvious.
In case you hadn't noticed, this thread is in the proper forum, discussing a small technical point of board policy.
Cocks are located in another forum. Can you find it by yourself or do you need assistance?

Smiles
May 23rd, 2013, 22:27
jinks, the word 'dickhead', used appropriately, is not a personal attack.
Even if it was, the guidelines have nothing to say about them.
If anything it was poor etiquette ... and meant to be.

But do carry on with your little games.

timmberty
May 23rd, 2013, 23:05
Take a hike *****. {deleted - personal attack - naught naught - Smiles -- hehehe jinks}
Amazing how one dunderhead can make a message board career out of continually stating the obvious.
In case you hadn't noticed, this thread is in the proper forum, discussing a small technical point of board policy.
Cocks are located in another forum. Can you find it by yourself or do you need assistance?
if i need assistance ill be sure you ask for you... im sure you'd know the way.

Brad the Impala
May 24th, 2013, 04:40
DICKHEAD

"A usually male person who "thinks with his dick". A person whose actions seem motivated by sexual desire at the expense of common sense or intelligence. "

Seems proper and appropriate, given the comments.