PDA

View Full Version : Dissapointing Visa experience

vnman
May 22nd, 2013, 17:38
Last time I went for a visa for Thailand, I got a 6 months tourist visa with 2 entries allowed. This meant that I could stay 2 months and extend another month. Then I had to do a visa run for another two months stamp and after that another month extension. Now, they would only give me a three months visa with a single entry extension needed after two months.

Here is where I'm confused. I read that I could only stay in Thailand for 6 months over a period of 12 months time. On the other hand I hear that people are doing Visa runs regularly. I'm a bit confused. What i would like is to leave Thailand every couple of months for a few days and fly to Indonesia, Philippines and other countries in the region and get a new visa at their embassies. Is this possible on a consecutive basis?

Tnx for the info

pong
May 22nd, 2013, 18:29
for a proper full answer you did not provide full details-notably WHERE you got the visa. As you moreorless state also- there is No thing as a 6 month visa- its a tourist visa, valid for 60 days, extendable IN Th @ payment. Due to your age or other circumstances, another type of visa might suit you better/give more privileges. in those cases there is usually a ''means check''=you must hold at least 8k THB in a Thai bank or can prove to have such income.
As I have stated so many times, a forum like this will not give full info, there are no specific gay visa, as you are limited to what the few others in your situation have encountered, Go to a main forum, like thaivisa-where it is all chewed out+written untill 6 digits behind ,,,
What you quote about 6 in 12 was once for a very short time and long since cancelled. BUT many Thai embassies-certainy in surrounding countries, have a suspicion that people like you work illegally and try to make that as hard as they can. In short, it certainly is possible to stay ''forever'' in Th by doing 3 or even 6-monthly visa-runs, again TV will have that info about how/where miles better as I do.

vnman
May 23rd, 2013, 04:05
I'm just in my 40s and when you say 8k your probably meant 800k?

I actually got that 6 out of 12 info from Thaivisa and I'm happy you took away that confusion and worry. I'm in the process of buying a condo but not in need of a permanent visa as I travel a lot. So what i need to know are the countries where they easily award new visas. ill have a look on TV for this.

tnx pong

Narakmak
May 23rd, 2013, 04:50
I'm just in my 40s and when you say 8k your probably meant 800k?

I actually got that 6 out of 12 info from Thaivisa and I'm happy you took away that confusion and worry. I'm in the process of buying a condo but not in need of a permanent visa as I travel a lot. So what i need to know are the countries where they easily award new visas. ill have a look on TV for this.

tnx pong
There is no such rule limiting 6 months out of 12. You are referring to very old info. Rules that were changed years ago. No doubt about that. No such rule.

If you want an easier visa place in Asean where someone your age can easily stay indefinitely for many years, renewing annually using a travel agent, that would be Cambodia and only Cambodia.

Philippines also possible using a show money thing available at your age.

vnman
May 23rd, 2013, 09:36
Hi Narakmak,

Thanks for confirming pong's statement about the old visa rule.

I'm not sure if I understand the second part of your post. Are you saying that I can live in Cambodia or get new visas for Thailand easily? I'm interested in the latter because I could live in Vietnam for the next 100 years if I wanted too but I'm only interested in Thailand :-)

Narakmak
May 23rd, 2013, 18:07
Hi Narakmak,

Thanks for confirming pong's statement about the old visa rule.

I'm not sure if I understand the second part of your post. Are you saying that I can live in Cambodia or get new visas for Thailand easily? I'm interested in the latter because I could live in Vietnam for the next 100 years if I wanted too but I'm only interested in Thailand :-)
No I meant you could easily live in Cambodia.

cdnmatt
May 24th, 2013, 09:00
Vientiane, Laos is pretty well known for handing out double entry tourist VISAs without fuss. That will give you the 6 months each time you're looking for. You'll have two entries, each good for 60 days + 30 day extension within country. However, the validity of the VISAs are only 3 months, so make sure you use your second entry before it expires.

You can't live in Thailand permanently on tourist VISAs though, as eventually they'll assume you're working illegally, and begin giving you a hard time. In which case, you need to switch over to a ED or B VISA.

Narakmak
May 24th, 2013, 14:17
Technically you can fly out and in every 30 days and keep getting 30 day stamps. However, then your problem will be running out of passport real estate.

vnman
May 24th, 2013, 16:34
Actually, I have 64 pages in my passport. My passport is good for 5 years so that would fit perfectly...but flying out every month. what a hassle.