PDA

View Full Version : Balmy or Barmy Army - split from Double Shot Bar.

egel
May 22nd, 2013, 05:53
Did you really want to look at the Balmy army in bright lights?

Who, or what, is the Balmy Army please?
How will I recognise them?

scottish-guy
May 22nd, 2013, 05:54
And why are they "Balmy"?

From what I hear they are anything but hot!

dab69
May 22nd, 2013, 06:39
"En"-balmy?

francois
May 22nd, 2013, 08:42
It is not the Balmy Army it was the de facto Barmy Army, a droll term coined by LMTU. I heard the Army demobilized subsequent to LMTU's passing.

Khor tose
May 22nd, 2013, 09:35
It is not the Balmy Army it was the de facto Barmy Army, a droll term coined by LMTU. I heard the Army demobilized subsequent to LMTU's passing.

That is the trouble with English. It is not the same from place to place and it depends on the dictionary whether or not slang is allowed. For the record, I knew what he meant and for the person who does not know what the army was think "herd of elephants".

barm┬╖y (b├дrm)
adj. barm┬╖i┬╖er, barm┬╖i┬╖est
1. Full of barm; foamy.
2. Eccentric; daft.
[Sense 2, alteration of balmy.]

The American Heritage┬о Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ┬й2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
barmy [╦Иb╔С╦Рm╔к]
adj -mier, -miest
Slang insane Also balmy
[originally, full of barm, hence frothing, excited, flighty, etc.]

Collins English Dictionary тАУ Complete and Unabridged ┬й HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/barmy

lonelywombat
May 22nd, 2013, 11:11
The only reference I can offer to barmy army, is the group of avid pommy cricket followers, that follow the English Test Cricket around Australia ,for the return visit every four years,of Australia

They number in excess of 1000 and they follow the UK team from State to State for Tests and the One Day games.

They usually get tickets in a block and do become very loud when and if the UK team makes runs.

I assume but only, probably guess, they might do the same for other UK tours.

With the Lions coming next month for 3 Rugby Union tests, they will probably have their own version too.

timmberty
May 22nd, 2013, 12:41
wombat most of gaybuttons army are american so i think them following england in australia very unlikely.
my take is that theyare all a tad crazy and there was far to many of them .. hence the barmy army.. which then became the balmy army as according to a certain mischief maker they had all started to whiff up a bit.
altho having seen their leader walking off into the night sky with his man sized white shorts on, the elephant analogy could well be right.
but back to the double shot bar ... anyone been past lately ? is there more customers than staff yet ?

scottish-guy
May 22nd, 2013, 14:52
On the Barmy/Balmy question - I was going to correct someone the other day when they referred to the "Balmy Army" and point out to them that not only does Barmy Army rhyme when the other does not (and is therefore more likely to be correct) but that "Balmy" means "warm and pleasant " rather than "slightly mental" which would be more appropriate. I have always used "Barmy Army" and not "Balmy Army" and genuinely believed I was right.

THEN, just as I was ready to press "submit" - I thought I'd check, and astonishingly I found this on Free Dictionary:

balm┬╖y (b├дm)
adj. balm┬╖i┬╖er, balm┬╖i┬╖est
1. Having the quality or fragrance of balm; soothing.
2. Mild and pleasant: a balmy breeze.
3. Chiefly British Slang Eccentric in behavior.

I looked at another couple of online sources and they also cited "Balmy" as having meaning #3 above.

OED however takes a very weird view - again citing "Balmy" as meaning eccentric but then bizarrely saying not to confuse the two!

Definition of balmy
adjective (balmier, balmiest)
1. characterized by pleasantly warm weather:
the balmy days of late summer
2. North American or dated variant spelling of barmy.
Derivatives

balmily
adverb
balminess
noun
Do not confuse balmy with barmy. Balmy is used about the weather to mean 'pleasantly warm' (a balmy evening), whereas barmy means 'stupid; crazy' (a barmy idea).

So it seems that, notwithstanding the OED's note in bold - which makes little sense to me given their definition also in bold - the jury is out on the whole thing.

arsenal
May 22nd, 2013, 15:45
It depends where you are but in Gaythailandboardland:

The Barmy Army are a group of very very very fat Americans who currently live in All Of Me Bar. They are limited as to where they can go due to these reasons.

1. Their enormous arses will only fit into large and reinforced chairs.
2. They have a collective budget of about 6000 Baht a week so everything must be very cheap.
3. Many bar owners don't actually want them.

Their leader is Gaybutton. They occupy bars and tell every bar owner exactly what they should do with their business both in person and on the messageboards. There is nothing remotely barmy about them. They are basically retired and bored old men who have taken over consumption to a new and religious level.

Gaybutton
May 22nd, 2013, 15:54
The Barmy Army are a group of . . .
And to think all this time I thought we were keeping it a secret. You made one mistake, though. Our weekly collective budget is 4000 baht . . .

christianpfc
May 22nd, 2013, 17:35
There was a lot of funny stuff on SGT today (not only this thread), thanks a lot to everyone who contributed.

Khor tose
May 22nd, 2013, 19:17
Darn Scotty, deja vu. To think they dare say you post without reading what went before. The Free on line dictionary takes from other dictionaries and then gives the citation of those dictionaries. The definitions do not come from them

arsenal
May 22nd, 2013, 21:53
Gaybutton: My apologies for overestimating the wealth of TBA. Despite Crabby claiming he now sells some cable shmables for an oil company the truth is somewhat different. He retired to Bermuda and bought a luxury 5 star hotel where only he and the boys from 8teenboy are allowed to reside. He did this solely with the money he made from you and the BA.
He even fucked off and left poor Eddie the Belgian to pay for the new chairs which by that time were beyond repair. Due to the huge arse problem mentioned earlier.

francois
May 22nd, 2013, 23:19
Mon dieu! There has been a great deal of misinformation about the Barmy Army posted. As mentioned before, the name Barmy was conjured by LMTU as an imaginary force who conspired to covertly overthrow his reign as patriarch of gay life in Pattaya. The Army was much like the French Foreign Legion, open to all nationalities but with no restrictions on size, shape, weight, wealth or health other than being gay. The Army was limited in size only to the number of chairs that could be arranged around the round table at All of Me Bar. The Army appears to have no formal command structure other than one uniformed member, an old timer, who wears the regalia of a Field Marshall much the same as Montgomery or Rommel. And, contrary to what has been posted, few members even post on any of the forums other than one commandant, Iron Fist.
All of my information has been provided by a low ranking aspirant in the Army who wishes to remain anonymous for fear of being cashiered or black balled.

scottish-guy
May 23rd, 2013, 01:24
Darn Scotty, deja vu. To think they dare say you post without reading what went before...

They dare say a lot of things KT - and whatever they say I take no notice of whatsoever.

I make spelling mistakes, I repeat myself, I repeat others, I get things wrong!

Alas, I can but strive for perfection and forever hope to one day join you in that glorious state.

:notworthy: :notworthy:

Gaybutton
May 23rd, 2013, 04:58
Mon dieu! There has been a great deal of misinformation about the Barmy Army posted. As mentioned before, the name Barmy was conjured by LMTU
That misinformation includes yours. Did LMTU manage to convince you that he came up with "Barmy Army"? Wrong.

http://www.barmyarmy.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barmy_Army

It's just something else LMTU tried to pass off as his own, as usual. He is, however, the first one to refer to our little group as the "Barmy Army" and the name stuck.

Also, where is everybody getting the idea that I'm somehow in charge? That's not true either.

arsenal
May 23rd, 2013, 05:51
Francoise: I too have a spy in the camp. He told me that the BA turn up en masse at some poor unsuspecting restaurant. They ignore the menu and demand that the owner prepare them an 'all you can eat buffet' for 69 Baht per person. If the owner refuses they sit there every night sharing a bottle of water and a packet of peanuts until the owner complies.

Barmy Army :pain10: :angry1: Owner :crybaby:

Gaybutton
May 23rd, 2013, 09:22
I too have a spy in the camp.
You still have that spy? Now, now, Arsenal - you need to calm down. I'm sorry we kicked you out of the Barmy Army just because you couldn't afford the expense, but we had no choice. When we had those buffets, we warned you about eating all that food before the rest of us could get to it, but you refused to stop. I'm really sorry, but that's the price you pay for depriving the rest of us. If you wish to rejoin, we'll consider it, but at those buffets, from now on you have to agree to be last in line - and you can't get into the line at all until the rest of us have at least had seconds plus several desserts . . .

Geezer
May 23rd, 2013, 09:30
Francoise: I too have a spy in the camp. He told me that the BA turn up en masse at some poor unsuspecting restaurant. They ignore the menu and demand that the owner prepare them an 'all you can eat buffet' for 69 Baht per person. If the owner refuses they sit there every night sharing a bottle of water and a packet of peanuts until the owner complies.

LMTU is alive and well.

catawampuscat
May 23rd, 2013, 11:42
Poor arsenal, just a bad imitation of the deceased lmtu. He got the compulsive liar part right and all his "facts" are just lies.
As stated earlier, the BA disbanded when lmtu died, as it was his creation. In lmtu's mind, this informal group of dozens of farangs,
had a common dislike, even hatred of lmtu, but it was the only commonality.
No leader, poor arsenal, and some evening not a single member of the BA even shows up at AOM.
No bargaining with restaurants, all lies from a very sick twisted mind.
Maybe, not such a bad imitation of lmtu afterall.....

Manforallseasons
May 23rd, 2013, 13:32
Arsenal you are no match for L.M.T.U. his posts had a degree of wit ! Your post concerning the B.Army was just plain stupid.

arsenal
May 23rd, 2013, 14:32
Thank you all for your kind comments.

Catwumscat: As Gaybutton uses the phrase 'Barmy Army' together with the word 'we' I would suggest that the idea did not die with LMTU. It is not your place to say so anyway. :angry1:

Manforallseasons: Oh! Why should I bother with you when nobody else does. No question mark because it's rhetorical. :angry2:

Gaybutton: You know full well that I was ejected from the group because I refused to wear the T-Shirt that read.

"Going large is not an option, it's a lifestyle choice" :laughing3:

timmberty
May 23rd, 2013, 14:40
whilst i agree arsenal is not actually funny, i also think that people who have slagged off lmtu for the past 10 years saying he was evil, witless, disgusting etc etc, shouldnt now start saying he was infact funny.
all that does is show up what 2 faced bastards you really are !!

arsenal
May 23rd, 2013, 14:53
I never thought I'd write this but good point timmberty. Try to remember that Kommie and MFAS were invited to an enforced absence for a while. Therefore they have a surplus of pent up bile they need to rid themselves of.

Gaybutton
May 23rd, 2013, 15:45
Gaybutton: You know full well that I was ejected from the group because I refused to wear the T-Shirt that read.

"Going large is not an option, it's a lifestyle choice" :laughing3:
That is true. I wasn't going to reveal that. I'm truly sorry your largest part is no longer where most men would like it to be. It really is a shame that your own "battle of the bulge" resulted in the loss of the one you used to have, although I don't recall anyone ever noticing one . . .

arsenal
May 23rd, 2013, 15:57
I shall now leave this post to those two hilarious funsters MFOS and Catscat.

arsenal
May 23rd, 2013, 15:58
Just kidding. Far too much fun to leave now. If only for me. :ura1:

Khor tose
May 23rd, 2013, 16:02
Mon dieu! There has been a great deal of misinformation about the Barmy Army posted. As mentioned before, the name Barmy was conjured by LMTU
That misinformation includes yours. Did LMTU manage to convince you that he came up with "Barmy Army"? Wrong.

I always thought the army was the group of friends you took with you to the restaurants you got free meals from for touting them on your boards.
Darn wrong again.

jinks
May 23rd, 2013, 16:05
OK, this thread is reducing to personal attacks - Locked.

Smiles - use the guidelines forum to complain.