PDA

View Full Version : Airport Immigration lines

Blueskytoday
May 22nd, 2013, 12:10
HI: Will be coming to BKK again next month.
Have not been for a year.
Are the arrival and departure immigration counters STILL as slow
as they always have been, or have they upgraded their systems
to move people thru faster?

arsenal
May 22nd, 2013, 12:32
Super Dooper quick last time I was there. It used to take about two minutes per person but this has been speeded up to around 30 seconds. Also, they no longer staple the tourist visa into your passport thereby avoiding the damage caused by it's removal when you leave.

Sooty
May 22nd, 2013, 13:51
Super Dooper quick last time I was there. It used to take about two minutes per person but this has been speeded up to around 30 seconds. Also, they no longer staple the tourist visa into your passport thereby avoiding the damage caused by it's removal when you leave.I don't understand this comment. The tourist visa is something the Thai embassy pastes into your passport before you leave your home country isn't it?

The Departure section of the Arrivals/Departures card was definitely stapled into his passport.

A friend arrived last week around 10:30 pm, often a busy time, and said he waited literally two minutes - very fast.

arsenal
May 22nd, 2013, 14:12
Sooty: Whatever it is that the Thai immigration man or woman used to staple into your passport is no longer stapled.

latintopxxx
May 22nd, 2013, 14:24
you need a visa...for Thailand??????????

Dani69
May 22nd, 2013, 15:02
you need a visa...for Thailand??????????

Only if your stay is for more than a month .

scottish-guy
May 22nd, 2013, 15:10
I see the train has arrived at Pedant Central today.

We all know exactly what Arsenal meant.

When is a Visa not a Visa? When it's a Visa Waiver stamp.

Mancs
May 22nd, 2013, 16:49
About 8? months ago they introduced one queue in a snakey line and staff checking people had completed an arrivals card. That did make it quicker.

Sooty
May 22nd, 2013, 17:07
Sooty: Whatever it is that the Thai immigration man or woman used to staple into your passport is no longer stapled.your experience is clearly different from my friend. His is a new passport he is using it for the very first time to visit Thailand and his card has been stapled to it. I defy you to prove otherwise. All you can know is that it didn't happen to you; there is no way you can say what did or didn't happen to someone you've never met.

pennyboy
May 22nd, 2013, 19:50
I arrived a few days ago and had a wait of about 15 minutes at immigration.
For the first time my "whatever the f*** it's called" was not stapled in my passport.
And just for Sooty, I have never met Arsenal.

jinks
May 22nd, 2013, 19:57
my "whatever the f*** it's called"

Be sure that you don't loose it. No exit without it.

jfarmer017
May 22nd, 2013, 21:30
Though there's a lot to complain about, I think this is an instance where we shouldn't necessarily "Blame Thailand First." One of the big reasons that the lines at immigration may be delayed at Suvarnabhumi is passengers failing to properly complete the Thai Arrival Card before getting to the front of the queue. The Departure Card is the aforementioned "stapled thing." I have used the fast track service a few times in the past where you are taken to the same immigration counter reserved for Thai Airways first-class passengers and are able to skip any potential long lines. However, if you have any checked luggage, all this typically accomplishes is shifting your waiting from an immigration line to a baggage claim belt.

p.s. The personal information requested on the back of the Departure Card has nothing to do with immigration and is just used to gather statistics for TAT. I have never filled it out, and it's never been an issue.

arsenal
May 22nd, 2013, 21:32
Sooty: Unless otherwise stated I tend to write/speak/inform about that which has happened to me. I can of course, refer to things that have happened to people I have never met any time I choose.

Dame Helen Mirren won an Oscar for her portrayal of The Queen in the movie of the same name. I've never met her.

Do you see Sooty? If (as SG has said) you want to park your laboriously slow diesel train at Pedant Central you are going to have to pay parking fees.

May 23rd, 2013, 09:08
I see the train has arrived at Pedant Central today.

We all know exactly what Arsenal meant.

When is a Visa not a Visa? When it's a Visa Waiver stamp.Clearly we don't know what arse-nal meant. The card is not a visa and it's not a visa waiver. It's the Arrivals/Departure card that everyone completes, including Thai citizens holding Thai passports who depart from or arrive in Thailand, although I think the latter requirement has changed (ie. for Thai passport holders only). I can confirm that the person I met at the airport yesterday had his Arrivals card stapled into his passport - I checked to verify arse-nal's statements on this. The Visa Waiver stamp is a stamp that is stamped into the passport and onto the Arrivals/Departure card. Questioning misinformation isn't pedantry.

My guess is that some Immigration officials do staple and others don't.

arsenal
May 23rd, 2013, 09:31
Kommentariat: If you genuinely didn't undersand what I meant then it will be of no interest to you because it is unlikely you'll be able to find your way to the airport.

vnman
May 23rd, 2013, 10:07
The only reason I had to wait at immigration was because of (what I think) my airline company. They didn't provide me with an arrival card so I had to ask for that and fill it in right then and there. Other than that, no lines at all. This was around 9.30pm.

I noticed that they have changed the departure procedure. Security control is before immigration now. After check in you have to go 1 floor up, get your luggage checked and go back down 1 floor to immigration.

Am I the only one that is used to being handed an arrival card during the flight to Thailand? I used to fly Airasia...but now Turkish Air and they didn't give it.

May 23rd, 2013, 13:24
Kommentariat: If you genuinely didn't undersand what I meant then it will be of no interest to you because it is unlikely you'll be able to find your way to the airport.I was certainly able to guess what you meant because it sprang fully formed from the pool of general ignorance and misinformation that is so prevalent on this topic. Letting that ignorance and misinformation persist is not something that should be encouraged IMHO. Or do you believe that people should be encouraged to write any old twaddle in the hope that others can "undersand" what you mean ie. you're so lazy yourself or contemptuous of others you can't be bothered writing accurately?

May 23rd, 2013, 13:31
Well me hearties all I can say is I got stapled when I arrived does that put me in the same category as friends of Sooty bugger me?!

arsenal
May 23rd, 2013, 14:37
Kommentariat: I like the twaddle idea actually, thank you for asking. If there's anything else I can do for you please get in touch. :argue:

May 23rd, 2013, 15:14
Does your boss have any jobs available, arse-nal? I believe there are a number of people who would love to be paid for having someone else guess what they mean.

arsenal
May 23rd, 2013, 15:36
Kommiekins: : Please ask them to forward their CVs. I would receive a hefty commission for all those employed. :laughing3:

{Both of you take this crap to PM's, no more name calling, we are bored - jinks}

anonone
May 23rd, 2013, 17:45
Am I the only one that is used to being handed an arrival card during the flight to Thailand? I used to fly Airasia...but now Turkish Air and they didn't give it.

I have always received an arrival/departure card set on the airplane coming into Thailand. Multiple airlines...but never Turkish Air.

My guess would be they ran out of the cards for whatever reason and were not able to distribute them...not that they just don't give them out ever.

vnman
May 23rd, 2013, 21:18
You would think that but I asked the stewardess and she had no clue what I was talking about. I'm flying Turkish air again on Monday so I'm curious to see if they have them this time.

Dani69
May 24th, 2013, 16:02
I arrived 3 weeks ago and mine was stapled as well

Sooty
May 25th, 2013, 04:47
Sooty: Whatever it is that the Thai immigration man or woman used to staple into your passport is no longer stapled.I don't suppose you would care to re-cast this statement in view of the three or four people who have contradicted you. I know what you're going to say so I'll ask your advice. One of my underlings is paid by the hour, according to what's on his timesheet. He believes he was underpaid last week because "we all knew what he meant" and we're "all pedants for insisting his timesheet add up". What should I do?

newalaan2
May 25th, 2013, 06:39
[/quote]
HI: Will be coming to BKK again next month. Have not been for a year. Are the arrival and departure immigration counters STILL as slow as they always have been, or have they upgraded their systems to move people thru faster?
As has always been the case, arrival Q times depends on your luck. Time of arrival if at same time as other large aircraft or not is the chance. But they do have snake lines now where there are staff to direct you from the front of the snake Q to the next availabe officer and allow only 2 or 3 in each Q at the desk. My last visit in Feb, Immigration 1 was absolutely jam packed with asian.......Korea Air arrival and other Asian nationalities, i kept going to Immigration 2 and it was empty.

Not sure about standard/normal departure Q's, as a member of KLM/AF Freq Fly Prog I get a VIP Immigration voucher every time and those lines are always very quick in my experience.

There seems to be a mixed bag in terms of Departure card stapled or not. My last visit Feb was stapled, and if it hadn't been I would have stapled it in myself. Given the amount of times my passport could be handled with hotel check-ins or currency exchanges I prefer to know where such an important small slip of paper is. So are there any other very recent experiences of staples or not on arrival?

Both of you take this crap to PM's, no more name calling, we are bored
Jesus! if all 'crap' posted on this forum was 'taken to PM's' half the fecking posts and threads would be gone. In fact virtually the total posting output of one prominent and notorious newbie poster of crap and drivel would not be seen on the forum at all! And while you and perhaps others are 'bored'.......speaking for myself, I dont need to be included in any 'we'........I'm quite happy for crap to stay as long as its moved to a sub-thread, that seems to have worked so far.

But consistancy is the key, cant have some shite split onto a new thread, some remain on original threads and some being told to take to it to PM's according to the whim of the day. The time it takes to add comments could be used to split the thread. If arsenal, sooty and kommentariat want to get their points across and be able to defend their right to "put the record straight" why cant they just be allowed to get on with it? If all their 'crap' is consigned to a split-thread then anyone can just pass that whole lot of stuff in one easy go, and if other members want to read and contibute it allows them to do so.

That means ALL members can be included, accommodated and be part of this forum.........not just the one's whose posts you and others like "the look of". It's just a question of managing it. You are just as guilty of posting off-topic garbage or content some could be 'bored' with at times (as indeed most members could be capable of) but I would defend your and everyone's right to be able to do that here without deleting, banning, locking or telling members to take their posts out of the forum altogether. On SGF there should be room for everyone, leave it to the other boring forums to discriminate, SGF has always been apart from that culture. [*bar legally problematic and extreme posts in bad taste*]

May 25th, 2013, 07:01
Both of you take this crap to PM's, no more name calling, we are bored Jesus! if all 'crap' posted on this forum was 'taken to PM's' half the fecking posts and threads would be gone. In fact virtually the total posting output of one prominent and notorious newbie poster of crap and drivel would not be seen on the forum at all! And while you and perhaps others are 'bored'.......speaking for myself, I dont need to be included in any 'we'........I'm quite happy for crap to stay as long as its moved to a sub-thread, that seems to have worked so far.This simply underlines how unsuited jinks is to be a Moderator IMHO, a point made by a number of posters recently.

vnman
May 25th, 2013, 08:50
Both of you take this crap to PM's, no more name calling, we are bored
Jesus! if all 'crap' posted on this forum was 'taken to PM's' half the fecking posts and threads would be gone. In fact virtually the total posting output of one prominent and notorious newbie poster of crap and drivel would not be seen on the forum at all! And while you and perhaps others are 'bored'.......speaking for myself, I dont need to be included in any 'we'........I'm quite happy for crap to stay as long as its moved to a sub-thread, that seems to have worked so far.

But consistancy is the key, cant have some shite split onto a new thread, some remain on original threads and some being told to take to it to PM's according to the whim of the day. The time it takes to add comments could be used to split the thread. If arsenal, sooty and kommentariat want to get their points across and be able to defend their right to "put the record straight" why cant they just be allowed to get on with it? If all their 'crap' is consigned to a split-thread then anyone can just pass that whole lot of stuff in one easy go, and if other members want to read and contibute it allows them to do so.

That means ALL members can be included, accommodated and be part of this forum.........not just the one's whose posts you and others like "the look of". It's just a question of managing it. You are just as guilty of posting off-topic garbage or content some could be 'bored' with at times (as indeed most members could be capable of) but I would defend your and everyone's right to be able to do that here without deleting, banning, locking or telling members to take their posts out of the forum altogether. On SGF there should be room for everyone, leave it to the other boring forums to discriminate, SGF has always been apart from that culture. [*bar legally problematic and extreme posts in bad taste*]

Well, there is getting your point across and there is nitpicking and getting into semantic disputes.

this is an interesting one:

Sooty: Whatever it is that the Thai immigration man or woman used to staple into your passport is no longer stapled.your experience is clearly different from my friend. His is a new passport he is using it for the very first time to visit Thailand and his card has been stapled to it. I defy you to prove otherwise. All you can know is that it didn't happen to you; there is no way you can say what did or didn't happen to someone you've never met.

Here's how that sounds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MV1ot9HkPg

I understood perfectly well that OP meant the arrival card and had I been the first to respond I would have probably made him aware of his confusion. I haven't been around much the last year but there is obviously some history between certain people. They can't wait for the other to make a minor error so they can start pounding. I had a situation like that myself the other day, even though I didn't really want to put someone down.

I did get my arrival card stapled in my passport and like another poster said "I wouldn't have it any other way."

I came across a link here to that new forum. They seem to have the right idea. It's just a fact that many drama queens here and other gay boards need their daily doses of bitching. Seems that they have created a special forum for that. So if you are into that sort of thing you can choose to enter, if not, you can enter their other "normal" forum. Doesn't take away the fact that there are some sad (old or not) people trying to hold on to what they think gives purpose to their lives. especially that forum is to sad for words. I can understand that if you're not living in Thailand, forums are the way to stay in touch with a place where you probably rather be, Mea Culpa. But for those who live in Thailand, holly cow, you might wanna get a life. Thailand is definitely wasted on you if you have to roam the forums to get your kicks. And this of course is IN MY OPINION!

Back in two days - stapler in hand!

a447
May 25th, 2013, 09:36
Newalaan2 for mod!!!

That means ALL members can be included, accommodated and be part of this forum.........

You are making a lot of sense.

vnman, it is true that a couple of guys here pounce like cats when they are feeling in the pedantic mood. They bring their sad life to the board every time they post. But they would not get much satisfaction from the BB - the audience is far too small, as there is basically only one guy posting there, as is the case with his own board.

These comments sum it up:

there are some sad (old or not) people trying to hold on to what they think gives purpose to their lives.

for those who live in Thailand, holly cow, you might wanna get a life. Thailand is definitely wasted on you if you have to roam the forums to get your kicks.

I gathered from the posts in this thread that maybe it's a case of some immigration officers staple, some don't. Is that not a possibility??

So Sooty's "I defy you to prove otherwise." comment sums him up beautifully.

"defy" indeed!

And as for his analogy, wouldn't common sense prevail when dealing with the "underling's" (!) claim??

But then, that could be asking too much. :sign5:

arsenal
May 25th, 2013, 09:39
Sooty: With your Solomonesque skills of judgement I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

And I wholeheartedly agree with Kommentariats' comments about Jinks being unsuitable as moderator.

scottish-guy
May 25th, 2013, 15:02
I'm sorry, but my enthusiasm for the "Staple-Gate" scandal never got off the ground, so I'll have to leave you all to it.

I don't think jinks would be in the least surprised if he farted and somebody started a thread on it.

vnman
May 25th, 2013, 15:17
How about this: i just changed the date of my ticket to tonight. I was planning a last night out in Ho Chi Minh City but I rather spend it in DJ and GOD. So when I arrive tonight ill take a picture of the custom officer stapling the arrival card to my passport (or not) and have that notarized. :tongue3:

Anyway, Guys thanks for the answers to some of my questions. I have big difficulties posting on the forum when in Pattaya, I will try to make it a weekly read though. Some of you are genuinely funny and I like your witticism.

And Joe I'll find you on GR for that birthday drink :-)

danny99
May 25th, 2013, 15:23
HI: Are the arrival and departure immigration counters STILL as slow

I really can not understand these comments! I have been travelling the world for the past 50 years, and find that the Bangkok of recent years probably has the FASTEST immigration processing anywhere in the world...have you visited London, or ANYWHERE in the USA...Indonesia is a disgrace but so is Sydney [where the immigration and customs officials are almost as arrogant as those in the USA]!

joe552
May 25th, 2013, 15:54
look forward to your birthday drink, vnman - should I bring my own boy or will you be providing party favours? :party

btw - it's the immigration officer who will or will not staple the card to your passport :occasion9:

firecat69
May 26th, 2013, 14:46
I really can not understand these comments! I have been travelling the world for the past 50 years, and find that the Bangkok of recent years probably has the FASTEST immigration processing anywhere in the world...have you visited London, or ANYWHERE in the USA...Indonesia is a disgrace but so is Sydney [where the immigration and customs officials are almost as arrogant as those in the USA]!

Well Bangkok really can be terrible at the wrong time and quite quick at others. Lot of luck involved including how fast you get off the airplane and how far away from immigration you are.

Most of Europe including Amsterdam is far faster then Bangkok ever is. Your comments about USA would be correct in some entry points unfortunately.
However I landed in Atlanta yesterday at 445pm and was through in 5 minutes. Never have waited more then 15 minutes in Seattle and always with very polite greetings. Detroit has the worst individuals at passport of anywhere in the USA.

Alex303
May 26th, 2013, 14:57
...have you visited London, or ANYWHERE in the USA...Indonesia is a disgrace but so is Sydney [where the immigration and customs officials are almost as arrogant as those in the USA]!

Before the Olympics this was most definitely true about London...but I've noticed since the games an improvement at Heathrow (have been through customs there 3 x either way since)...last time I was amazed to have all my bags and be heading for the Underground within 30 minutes of the plane doors being opened.

lonelywombat
May 26th, 2013, 15:47
Most of Europe including Amsterdam is far faster then Bangkok ever is. Your comments about USA would be correct in some entry points unfortunately.
However I landed in Atlanta yesterday at 445pm and was through in 5 minutes. Never have waited more then 15 minutes in Seattle and always with very polite greetings. Detroit has the worst individuals at passport of anywhere in the USA.

firecat69 can we assume you were flying in from overseas and Atlanta and Seattle were through immigration, as well as luggage pickup?

Up2U
May 26th, 2013, 16:21
HI: Are the arrival and departure immigration counters STILL as slow

As an US citizen returning home I clear customs in 5 minutes but usually have to wait for luggage. A Thai national returning home will also clear customs quickly. As foreigners clearing customs is a function of your arrival time, time of year travelling, your arrival gate, etc. I always anticipate 20 - 40 minutes clearing customs at Suvarnaphumi, the plus is my luggage is already on the carousel waiting for me.

firecat69
May 26th, 2013, 17:26

firecat69 can we assume you were flying in from overseas and Atlanta and Seattle were through immigration, as well as luggage pickup?

Yes I am speaking only about passport and immigration although yesterday in Atlanta my bag was off by the time I arrived at the carousel . I am Platinum with DL. In seattle I was referring again to passport and bag pick up, SEATAC appears to have a very efficient operation and 15 minutes at passport was enough time for my bag to arrive. Keep in mind I always have priority tags on my bag which helps most of the time.

I avoid at all costs DTW, JFK, LAX,ORD. Limited experience with MIA IAH AND BOS.

timmberty
May 26th, 2013, 17:30
HI: Will be coming to BKK again next month.
Have not been for a year.
Are the arrival and departure immigration counters STILL as slow
well you might still be clueless as to how long its gonna take you to get thru customs in bangkok, but next time you go to america or europe you should have a good idea as to how long it will take.

christianpfc
May 26th, 2013, 20:12
Re the arrival cards. I got them on all flights to Thailand I had so far. There are counters before you reach immigration where you can fill them out (and there are supposed to be arrival cards - I never saw any, only empty boxes and examples of how to fill them out printed on the wall), but most people do in the plane, this includes me. On one of my last flights, I asked for a second arrival card, and got one, so now I can fill it out at home (on my desk, much more convenient than on the plane), provided I remember to do so and find the arrival card.

ftj_taw
May 27th, 2013, 07:43
I'm sorry, but my enthusiasm for the "Staple-Gate" scandal never got off the ground, so I'll have to leave you all to it.

I don't think jinks would be in the least surprised if he farted and somebody started a thread on it.

That subject was already covered in depth by Gaybuttonthai in its infamous poo thread. I don't think Jinks was named, but we know who they were talking about.

Beachlover
May 27th, 2013, 13:25
I asked for a second arrival card, and got one, so now I can fill it out at home (on my desk, much more convenient than on the plane), provided I remember to do so and find the arrival card.
Ah brilliant... another well organised individual like me LOL.

I've never not been given an arrival card on the flight in. But what I actually do is keep several of them in the "Thailand" pack I put in my travel wallet. I have a separate envelope for each of the countries I frequent - each one contains some currency, sim card/s, loyalty cards, keys and any other shit associated with that country along with a stack of immigration arrival cards... that way when I'm going to Bangkok, I can fill out the arrival card whenever I want, before the flight, onboard or whenever I'm sitting around and feel like doing it. I do that for every country.

When I leave that country, the stuff comes out of my wallet and back into the envelop and I replace it with stuff from the envelope of whatever country I'm landing in next.

kakadai
May 27th, 2013, 23:03
As an US citizen returning home I clear customs in 5 minutes but usually have to wait for luggage. A Thai national returning home will also clear customs quickly. As foreigners clearing customs is a function of your arrival time, time of year travelling, your arrival gate, etc. I always anticipate 20 - 40 minutes clearing customs at Suvarnaphumi, the plus is my luggage is already on the carousel waiting for me.

Darling, you clear customs after you pick up your luggage at the carousel. The first booth you pass through is called immigration.

:happy7:

May 28th, 2013, 14:39
As an US citizen returning home I clear customs in 5 minutes but usually have to wait for luggage. A Thai national returning home will also clear customs quickly. As foreigners clearing customs is a function of your arrival time, time of year travelling, your arrival gate, etc. I always anticipate 20 - 40 minutes clearing customs at Suvarnaphumi, the plus is my luggage is already on the carousel waiting for me.Darling, you clear customs after you pick up your luggage at the carousel. The first booth you pass through is called immigration.We all know what he meant. Just ask arse-nal.