PDA

View Full Version : Amnesty bill to reignite tensions in Thailand

lonelywombat
May 20th, 2013, 12:32
Esteemed South East Asia correspondent Lindsay Murdoch, posted this today on the world's press

[size=150] I am still drifting in the sea. Do not let me drift too long.
Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/world/amnesty- ... z2To9psPCy (http://www.theage.com.au/world/amnesty-bill-to-reignite-tensions-in-thailand-20130520-2jw1k.html#ixzz2To9psPCy)

Bangkok: ThailandтАЩs deputy prime minister, Chalerm Yubamrung, plans to introduce a contentious amnesty bill into parliament on Thursday that will stoke new political tensions three years after bloody street protests and a military crackdown exposed ThailandтАЩs deep divisions.

The so-called reconciliation bill would absolve all political offenders involved in protests since a 2006 coup and open the way for divisive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to return from self-imposed exile.

Among hundreds of others who would be absolved of wrongdoing would be former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, now the opposition leader, who faces murder charges. He ordered the 2010 crackdown on redshirt supporters of Mr Thaksin, which Mr Abhisit insists his government had to take to end street protests.

Prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra, the younger sister of Mr Thaksin, will need to approve the bill before it is introduced into Parliament, a move that would prompt criticism by government redshirt supporters as well as opponents of Mr Thaksin, the exiled telecommunications billionaire sentenced to two yearsтАЩ jail on corruption charges.
Advertisement

Some redshirts are upset Mr ChalermтАЩs bill would grant blanket amnesty to those responsible for the crackdown on demonstrators that left scores of people dead and hundreds wounded.
Twenty-four redshirt leaders are facing terrorism charges related to the 2010 protests but five of them have immunity as they are now MPs.

Government-list MP Weng Tochirakarn said a blanket amnesty would not bring about reconciliation and would cause suspicion, especially among those who lost loved ones.

Mr Thaksin told about 26,000 supporters who rallied in Bangkok on Sunday night to mark the anniversary of the crackdown that the governmentтАЩs amnesty efforts must focus on absolving redshirts facing legal action rather than protest leaders or even himself.

тАШтАШLet the innocent people be exonerated. There is no problem if redshirt leaders and I are not included (in the bill),тАЩтАЩ he said in a Skype address to the crowd.

But in another Skype message to supporters a few days earlier Mr Thaksin, who is believed to be closely involved in government decision-making from his base in Dubai, made clear he wanted to come home.

тАШтАШI am still drifting in the sea. Do not let me drift too long. It is cold and I want to come home,тАЩтАЩ he said.

Mr Thaksin pledged he would not seek any official position on his return. тАШтАШTell the Democrats [the opposition] not to worry,тАЩтАЩ he said.

Rights groups have criticised the amnesty move.

тАШтАШThree years ago, the world saw soldiers shooting protesters and parts of Bangkok going up in flames,тАЩтАЩ said Brad Adams, Asia director at Human Rights Watch.

тАШтАШBut instead of investigating and prosecuting those responsible, successive Thai governments and the army have politicised efforts for justice and are now backing an amnesty bill that would let everyone off the hook.тАЩтАЩ

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/world/amnesty- ... z2To9psPCy (http://www.theage.com.au/world/amnesty-bill-to-reignite-tensions-in-thailand-20130520-2jw1k.html#ixzz2To9psPCy)

Sooty
May 20th, 2013, 14:11
Brad Adams is spot on. The only people who thought George W Bush wasn't as dumb as dog shit were some right-wing Americans. The only people who hate Thaksin are some right-wing Thais and some ex-pats who don't understand that the Bangkok Post is their propaganda mouthpiece. The rest of the world understands the truth about both of them.

May 20th, 2013, 14:50
Frankly I don't know how long a discussion of Thai politics such as this one can be allowed to continue under the Forum's own guidelines - the whole Thaksin question is intimately bound up with The Event No-one In Thailand Is Allowed To Discuss Openly.

jinks
May 20th, 2013, 15:09
It's simple - don't talk about "it".

a447
May 20th, 2013, 15:18
the whole Thaksin question is intimately bound up with The Event No-one In Thailand Is Allowed To Discuss Openly.

Only people "as dumb as dog shit" can't see that!

billy2bs
May 21st, 2013, 10:53
Well it seems to me that it is an obvious attempt for those who are in a position of some form of power and leadership to to look at things in what I see as typical Thai style. After a short period of time simply say that everything is ok now and never mind what has gone on in the past. Nothing really happened did it. Lets not cause any commotion. Everyone can save face and live happily ever after. It is about time the real Thailand gets off its ass and decides what direction it wants to go. Stop being led around by the nose. Have an opinion about something and dont be afraid to say it. But this may be all for naught if the populace does not educate itself about real world issues and puts down the blinders.
Fortunately we in the States have this freedom of speech and thought....not so in LOS.

Khor tose
May 21st, 2013, 11:32
It is about time the real Thailand gets off its ass and decides what direction it wants to go. Stop being led around by the nose. Have an opinion about something and dont be afraid to say it. But this may be all for naught if the populace does not educate itself about real world issues and puts down the blinders.

I hope you don't think the educational system in Thailand is one of the worst in Asia by accident. The present government takes a lot of heat on their computer give-away but they are correct in trying this. The Thais are not going to learn about the outside world in their present educational system. Presently, the poor are taught how to Wei and little else, while the rich send their kids to the private schools.

timmberty
May 21st, 2013, 13:27
this sort of stuff isnt my normal *get involved stuff* but having seen what has happened in the middle east and other countries over the past few years, maybe its best the poor do what they do and the rich do what they do.
wouldnt it be great if everyone knew everything? how much fun it would be to watch them start killing each other.
sometimes its just better to leave things alone.

billy2bs
May 21st, 2013, 22:05
It is about time the real Thailand gets off its ass and decides what direction it wants to go. Stop being led around by the nose. Have an opinion about something and dont be afraid to say it. But this may be all for naught if the populace does not educate itself about real world issues and puts down the blinders.

I hope you don't think the educational system in Thailand is one of the worst in Asia by accident. The present government takes a lot of heat on their computer give-away but they are correct in trying this. The Thais are not going to learn about the outside world in their present educational system. Presently, the poor are taught how to Wei and little else, while the rich send their kids to the private schools.

Yes that is what infuriates me so much. So much I think is not known by the Thai people about things outside of their world. Shame on the people in high places who refuse to educate there people. Who will step up to the plate and be the leader to bring his people out of the past and into the now. Is this not one of the times that religion should step forward and show the way, not through mysticism and parables that one has to interpret but by plan English...in this case Thai. The truth is easy to say. But WHO will say it? :old:

Smiles
May 21st, 2013, 23:21
Frankly I don't know how long a discussion of Thai politics such as this one can be allowed to continue under the Forum's own guidelines - the whole Thaksin question is intimately bound up with The Event No-one In Thailand Is Allowed To Discuss Openly.
The board's guidelines regarding unmentionables is a very small list: it includes promotion of underage sex, obviously libelous accusations, and negative comments regarding the royal family (i.e. 'Lese Majesty'). There are a couple of stupid and illiterate add-ons by Neal :8( regarding text colours one can use or not use in postings and the giving of medical advice (which I hope are discarded soon), but nowhere in the guidelines is there to be found a proscription regarding discussion of Thai politics.
The Thaksin 'issue' can be easily be discussed freely as it does not necessarily have to intrude into lese majesty territory.

" ... The truth is easy to say. But WHO will say it? :old: ... "

I guess you just did, Methuselah. Not quite sure what you're saying, but it's quaint if nothing else.