PDA

View Full Version : International Driving Licence

arsenal
May 9th, 2013, 10:36
There is a post on GB about motorcycle hire.
This was my experience.

My IDL did not cover me to ride a motorbike and when I was pulled over by the police I was told this. Something of an unpleasant surprise. Despite ample opportunity I did not pay him but instead took the ticket and paid it the next day at Na Jomtien police station. Where incidentally they now have a western gentleman who offers assistance (anything confiscated ect).
When I was stopped again I showed the officer the receipt and he just waved me on.
So, is it likely that only one fine is payable for this even if you get stopped again?

francois
May 9th, 2013, 10:55
Why does anyone who does not posses a motorcycle license in their home country think they are entitled to legally drive a motorbike in Thailand even if they have an International Drivers License. To drive a motorbike without having being licensed or having driver training is a risky business in more ways than one.

arsenal
May 9th, 2013, 11:16
francois: Like the majority of people I believed I was entitled to ride a motorbike on an IDL. I have been stopped many times before and never had a problem.

francois
May 9th, 2013, 11:50
Arsenal, I do understand to a degree; as a student at the university I rode a motorbike without having a motorcy license but in my home country and that was a 100 years ago when no questions were asked. Yes, young and dumb!

But seriously, did you have experience on a motorcycle or just decide to ride one anyway? I know that is the norm but maybe not so smart especially in a foreign country. Your experience should be a warning to others, as you intended.

My guess is that people come to Thailand and rent both cars and motorbikes without even having an International Drivers License.

arsenal
May 9th, 2013, 13:13
francois: Yes, I had a couple of motorbikes when I was younger. And fines or not, I shall hire one again next time I'm in Thailand. The enormous fun outweighs the inconvenience if the police stop you.

francois
May 10th, 2013, 00:19
francois: The enormous fun outweighs the inconvenience if the police stop you.

For some it is fun, for others (like me) fear even though a licensed rider.

mahjongguy
May 10th, 2013, 10:53
An IDL can only be used for the first 90 days of your stay in Thailand.

An IDL can be used for motorbikes if the IDL says it includes motorbikes (usually a check mark).

Driving a car or bike without a Thai license or a totally valid IDL means you have no insurance coverage of any kind. Maximum liability if you cause an accident is one million baht. If you have travel insurance for personal injury, it will be voided.

May 10th, 2013, 17:46
My IDL states that it is valid for one year.

francois
May 11th, 2013, 04:49
Captain; I believe the ID is good for one year from date of issue, however, once you enter Thailand the license is good only for 90 days from date of entry. Same as a can of beans with an expiration date of 1 year; once you open the can you have a limited time to eat the beans.

Nirish guy
May 11th, 2013, 04:53
So for clarity is an IDL valid then for 90 days EACH time you enter the country i.e if you're there for a while and then do a visa run out of the Kingdom for a day or two when you re-enter Thailand is that you good to go for another 90 days from that re entry date or is it just a one time 90 day useage period in Thailand per one year licence ?

zubes
May 12th, 2013, 13:10
Just to clarify, what can be obtained in your home country is an International Drivng Permit not an international driving licence, this permit needs to be supported by an appropriate driving licence.
Visitors to Thailand are normally allowed to use these documents for a total of ninety days, any stay in excess of that requires a Thai driving licence. Once you leave the country the clock is reset therefore when you return you have another ninety days. Two issues, despite these regulations they are at the discretion of the bib that stops you and you will find many expats who insist they have never had or needed a Thai driving licence despite having lived in Thailand for many years.
The crunch comes a) as the poster found out you get stopped by the police who insist you have a Thai driving licence or b) you are involved in an accident and your insurers do not accept you were legal!

arsenal
May 12th, 2013, 17:38
Hi Zubes.
A quick clarification here. I had an IDL but the motorbike bit wasn't stamped. This has never been a problem before and in fact I genuinely thought I was completely legal. Including postage the IDL cost me nearly 40 pounds, way more than I was ever likely to be fined but it can be very inconvenient. only now have I discovered that in the UK one needs to take separate car and motorbike tests.

Nirish guy
May 12th, 2013, 18:54
Slipping slightly sideways topic wise for a second but in the same vein I think someone in the UK Government should be asking who in the DVLA had the bright idea to change the old system and decided on a whim by the sound of it that grown adult, who had successfully passed their car driving test WOULDN'T over night and at the stroke of a pen apparently now be competent to drive a bloody MOPED !

I can fully understand and agree that bigger CC high powered machines need and should have some test a fixed to them with adequate training etc but a bloody moped !! I mean come on, there's not a lot to learn there surely, jump on a go and use the same rules of the road driving that you when driving your car. I mean was there a month where all of a sudden thousands of British car drivers were killed when the got on a moped or something thus requiring this radical change to the system, I don't think so. By grouping mopeds in with bigger bikes in general they now have sure caused this same problem of (genuinely unknown in most cases ) non coverage, right around the world for Brit's who travel and rent mopeds ;-(

And just to show how fucked up British law's can be - so a grown adult can't ride a moped with a through test, whereas a 16 year old boy with NO test can drive a bloody massive seven ton tractor through the main street of any town with the possibility of causing death and carnage - but no test required ! Yeah a really well thought out piece of legislation there it seems ! :-(

zubes
May 12th, 2013, 19:36
I can only comment on the scenario in UK as I am British, there is not a International Driving Licence available in the UK, every post in Google leads you to an International Driving Permit, this is available from the Post Office for ┬г5.50 or the motoring organisations like the AA & RAC for ┬г5.50 plus handling fee of ┬г2.50. Valid only with a current UK driving licence one year from date of issue, therefore if you want to drive a motorbike you need a valid motorbike licence from your home country. I would recommend frequent travellers to Thailand to obtain a Thai driving licence, no test needed if you have an IDP supported by your home driving licence , available on tourist visa and valid for one year, if you are on a long term visa or extension then after one year you can get a five year licence.

Nirish guy
May 12th, 2013, 19:44
So Zubes - if one WAS to obtain a thai driving licence ( based on having a IDP and your UK licence) does THAT then cover you for driving motorbikes or does the thai licence have the same stupid restriction or carry the restriction of the British licence over on to your new Thai licence as well ?

Also is the maximum valid date only one year i.e can you not apply for a 10 year licence as undoubtedly if you're visiting Thailand much at all that would be the way to go rather than being uninsured.

rifraf
May 12th, 2013, 20:01
NI, is it possible that the change was implemented as a new measure to collect more fees in times of cut-backs and austerity? That seems to be a universal theme these days in developed economies. In this case, a mundane thing has become an unnecessary inconvenience to people on their holiday.

Although it may cost more to get the IDL upfront, it may be best to have the peace of mind and security when stopped by the very unpredictable local Thai BIB.

Nirish guy
May 12th, 2013, 20:32
Ah yes get more money out of us - silly me, what was I thinking of COURSE that's what it will have been about ! Seems to be a recurring theme these days here in the UK :-(

And I do actually already have my IDP but if the Thai licence is only for one year it would be a pain going to sort that every year for a few weeks holiday, thus leaving one right back where we started as to is it a good idea to "risk" riding a moped in Thailand now knowing that you don't have the correct documentation and the answer to that is obviously NO, but I have to admit the reality is I probably still will "risk it" thanks to our wonderful Government now placing me in that position where I have to make that decision.

rifraf
May 12th, 2013, 20:45
I don't ride motorbikes, but for my Thai driving license, it was issued for one year only in first instance. Thereafter, it was extended up to five years.

zubes
May 12th, 2013, 21:39
Yes if you are on an extended visa like marriage or retirement or have a wp that is correct, but tourist and educational visas would normally only get one year ( according to the board in the transport office on highway 36)
But as we all know there are " variables" in this country.

billyhouston
May 13th, 2013, 04:31
With an IDP stamped up for everything, and supported by a UK licence, I was able to obtain both a Thai 1-year (temporary) car licence and a motorbike licence. When renewal came up, with a non-immigrant 'O' type visa these were converted to 5-year licences. Transport in Chiang Mai were quite adamant that 5-year licences were not available to holders of 'tourist' visas but that may vary from place to place and even day to day.
National Parks (and CM Zoo) tend to accept these licences for 'Thai' prices.