PDA

View Full Version : Deal or no deal...

bucknaway
May 9th, 2013, 04:46
So you're walking down the street when a item for sell catches your eye. Something you never saw before, but once seeing it, you hate to imagine living without it. How much could it cost? Where did it come from? How much is it worth? What do they want for it? Then it happens. The seller hands you a calculator and asks you.... "How much you pay?" What price did you tap into the calculator? The seller looks sad to the point of being insulted and presents you with a price that is triple the price you offered as they explain to you that what they are selling is not a cheap Chinese product, but is made by Thai Elves that live in a magic tree where they bake cookies and crackers, when they are not manufacturing rare trinkets, like the one they are now trying to sell to you.

Or maybe you are at point A and want to go to point B and you hail a Tuk-Tuk in Chiang Mai, or a Baht-bus in Pattaya. You have no idea how far point B is but the driver is quick to ask for more than 500B Once you get to point "B", you then realize that the trip should have cost less than 70B

In both of those instances, is there a style of bargaining that you employ that has worked well for you? Or do you haggle just a tiny bit and pay the slightly reduced asking price?

Or..... Do you try to avoid haggling all together even if it means having someone else do your haggling for you?

Smiles
May 9th, 2013, 05:51
The game is somewhat lopsided: the seller already knows the minimum profit he'll accept and you don't. Classic capitalism of the street.
I never haggle more than one level ... the whole process of hagglement doesn't interest me all that much. I offer him/her - once - what my gut tells me is reasonable and if it's rejected I walk away politely, with a smile.

adman5000
May 9th, 2013, 05:53
Shopping for me is looking for something I truly need and want. I also know what I want to pay for it and have a budget. I don't get herded into buying stuff I don't need and is just another thing to carry back home. I plan.
When it comes to Tuk Tuks, the same applies. IF I can, I ask the hotel staff ahead of time what the going rate is to go from point A to B. I also carry a map and have an idea where I am going and how far it is. If you know those things, it should not be too difficult to figure out how much to pay.
IF I should get into the unlikely situation that I don't know how much to pay, I follow a few simple rules.
1. SMILE - I read this is a cultural overview book when I first came to Thailand and have used that rule ever since. It works especially well when trying to get a lower price.
2. OBSERVE - I also look at what other nearby vendors are selling things for.
3. HAVE YOUR THAI FRIEND BUY IT FOR YOU - give him the money beforehand or have him go back and buy it for you. But do not stand with your Thai friend and try to negotiate as you will either lose respect for being cheap or get screwed by the vendor.
4. CONSIDER THE AMOUNT - If you are buying something of relatively low value, consider that the person is earning their living with the money from that item. For example, I once walked into a mall in Pattaya and a downpour of rain started. I walked over to a vendor who had umbrellas and said how much? She said 200 baht for a portable umbrella. I SMILED and handed her the 200 baht and she smiled back and said Farang jai dee. (good heart).
5. KNOW WHAT NOT TO BUY - for example, don't get attracted by what look to be rubies or something gold and try to buy at an outdoor market.
6. FOR TUK TUK - ask how far? SMILE when you ask it. Typically what I do is negotiate a bit and then if the driver does a good job and gets me there safely. I thank him, smile, and hand him the amount he originally asked for. I also look for younger tuk tuk drivers, not the older chinese guys. If I find a good taxi driver or tuk tuk (rarely use them), I take the guys number and call him when I need to go somewhere.

:glasses7:

kjun12
May 9th, 2013, 06:18
Buck, best to not ever use a Tuk Tuk. Many of the operators are dishonest and they are very uncomfortable. I avoid them and prefer taxis and red trucks.

It is almost always necessary to haggle with vendors or you will not get a fair price. Some enjoy the bargain process while others do not. It's a personal thing. Sometime I'm in the mood for it and other times not.

cdnmatt
May 9th, 2013, 07:29
I speak in Thai, and would imagine also give off the demeanor that I'm not new to Thailand. That usually seems to do the trick. :-)

kjun12
May 9th, 2013, 08:47
r that I'm not new to Thail
Undoubtedly, that is an advantage for you. They do respect those who speak Thai.

christianpfc
May 10th, 2013, 21:56
I try to avoid haggling for a fare by all means. If I can't get a metered taxi or a bus or MRT/BTS, I rather walk.

My experience with parking taxis is that they refuse to use the meter and ask for twice it would cost by meter (quite consistent).

Places where motorcycle taxis wait for customers often have a table (attached to a tree or wall) with popular destinations (in Thai) and fares.

Of course giving the impression you know where you are going (which is usually the case for me) helps. In a few cases I even had to give directions to the driver because he didn't know the way.