PDA

View Full Version : Pattaya visit April 2013 - Brief notes

anonone
April 27th, 2013, 19:56
Quick notes from my recent trip.

Mosaic still very nice place to stay, but the beds are hard...real hard. Might have to check out other option as sleep really suffered this time around. Everything else was great. 1800 baht for electric for 9 days. We used the 2 AC units in our Apt quite a bit. Electric unit at 6.5 baht. Water was an additional 120 baht. Had the placed cleaned once, looks like 300 baht or so for that. New linens, washed the dishes, and so on. Another 300 baht for last day service....The additional charges really seem to add up.

This was my first Songkran, and overall it was a lot of fun. The 19th was by far the best. Crazy fun. Isan music everywhere...dancing boys everywhere...water everywhere.

The days leading up to the 19th were OK, but I can see how those not in the mood to play can get pretty ticked off. I also saw the most hypocritical falang...wanting to drench everyone with water, wether they wanted it or not because it is the Thai holiday...but refusing to allow Thai to "anoint" him with powder. Sorry asshole, you don't get to choose which part you want to play.

Mor lam (Isan concert) on 3rd road was as much fun as always. Really hard on shoes though, due to the dirt/mud. I really wished the shoe shine guy was still around Sunee....

Speaking of Sunee, how about the bars:

Favorite gogo was Happy Boy. 75 baht drinks until 10 PM, including boy drinks. I don't know how well it is advertised, but a great bargain. Staff of mixed type, friendly and fun. Upstairs available if desired. I bought a small bottle of whiskey one night for the staff to partake, 1000 baht if memory is correct, included all mixers.

Eros was the same as previous visits, though for some reason it was hot inside both nights I visited. Maybe conserving some AC money?

Nice Boys was hit &miss. One night pretty slow with limited staff, probably due to Songkran. After Songkran, seemed to be back to its former self, with some non-shy staff sitting up front and some twinks on the stage.

City Boys has a new mamasan. It is now sort of like the Sunee version of Funny Boy. Relaxed, low music, friendly staff but nothing overly exciting. Still some of the same dancers from when it was Murphy's, plus some different ones.

I wanted to check out Cocktail bar (location of former Tom Yum), but they had a sign on the door closed for Songkran and not opening back up until after I left. Maybe next time.

As for Bozytown, did not spend much time there.

Copa show much the same, though a favorite dancer of mine is now there instead of Wild West Boy, so that was a plus. WWB show is still pretty bad. Lip synching LB and "erotic" dancers that were not erotic at all.

Xboys is the same. I never did get back to ask about rumored closing / moving across the street.

Vasa bar has some new staff...and a lot more available then I ever remember there. Always good energy in Vasa as there are usually a couple of the dancers that actually dance and have fun. I seem to recall a flyer inside the bar...one night (Tues, Wed?) they have cheap drinks all night long...100 baht? I had not heard anyone talk about this...seems like a good deal for BT.

The beach: visited a couple of times, including Neal's bon voyage BBQ. Seemed pretty busy with falang....seemed pretty deserted of Thai. The eye candy is just not there like several years ago.

Massage: Finally made it back to Magnolia Spa, and very glad that I did.
http://www.magnoliamenspa.net/
By far the best massage in the best facility of the "massage for men" places in Pattaya. I will update the Magnolia thread as well, but I wanted to mention it here also. Falang owner / manager on site is very friendly and welcoming. Masseur (named "wow" ) was very good. This is the place to go if you want a good massage in an upscale, clean facility followed by happy ending. Highly recommended.
90 min oil massage, standard room, 650 baht. Min tip 500 baht. They offer free shuttle service, which might be a good idea for the first visit as it is tucked away off Pattaya Tai, near Suk Rd.

GUY club still a fun visit, especially after songkran when staff back. Energetic twink dancers and loud music. Open late for your drinking pleasure.

Checked out Lucifer on Walking street...not too impressed. Walking Street disco was still OK. A nice break from the "gay" places with a good ambiance / music. Didn't make it down to MIXX disco this time, which was OK with me.

Only made it to Dave Man this time, and no changes at all there.

Finally, Crazy Pub still my home base when in Sunee. Great staff to make friends with, laid back and friendly, fun banter and flirting, and a couple of very cute boys that can't wait for a kiss and a grope (when BF is not around LOL). Pool table for free. Buy a bottle and make some friends....

Back in a couple of months. Trying to decide if I want to take BF up to Chang Mai / Chang Rai / Siem Reap next time instead of staying in Pattaya.....

christianpfc
April 28th, 2013, 21:21
Vassa has an advert outside, 100 Baht per drink on a weekday (don't remember which). When I went on Friday, it was 150 Baht for orange juice.

Happy Boys Soi Yensabai is indeed a bargain, 80 Baht for a water even on the weekend.

Walked past GUY and say only boys in trousers and sleeveless shirts. Sorry, I don't pay to see boys in shirts and trousers.

Similar problem in Nice Boys, had a look and 3 boys were in jeans (the rest in underwear). I should print cards in Thai "Sorry, the music in your bar is too loud / I don't like the smoking in the bar / I prefer when all boys are in underwear (and none in trousers). I will come back and visit your bar when these suggestions are implemented." to hand them to the staff to give them something to think about and make sure there is no language barrier.

joe552
April 28th, 2013, 21:27
thanks for the report, anonone - can really recommend Siem Reap - you should do it at least once in your life.

Jellybean
April 29th, 2013, 01:32
Enjoyed reading your Pattaya visit brief notes anonone. Will you be posting any photos or videos in a future post?

I share your sentiments about the fa-r├аng who refused to be тАЬanointedтАЭ with white powder. In Bangkok I just stopped, smiled and allowed whoever to put the powder on my face and politely said, тАЬk├▓pkhun kr├бpтАЭ afterwards. On the last day of s┼Пng-graan I was a little surprised when a policewoman put powder on my face as we entered Silom Road, but felt happy that she thought to include me in the fun. The boys I was with took care to ensure that no powder got too close to my dodgy eye with the very real risk of infection from powder and dirty water. I am happy to report I did not have any subsequent problems.

Now that I am back in the United Kingdom I very much regret that I didnтАЩt make time to visit Pattaya. ThatтАЩs the third visit to Thailand in a row that I havenтАЩt visited Pattaya. No reason in particular, perhaps I just get too comfortable in Bangkok.

I did mention on another topic that I was anxious to drive from my condo in Bangkok to Pattaya, but I needed someone to show me the route. Well Christianpfc has volunteered to act as my navigator on my return to Thailand later in the year, when we also intend stopping off at places of interest on route. Should be fun!

And hey adman5000, Christianpfc has already witnessed the standard of my driving at first hand, so I presume that he must be reasonably satisfied with the quality of my driving to risk being a passenger. : )

thaiguest
April 29th, 2013, 01:50
Thanks for the update and your review.
The bars in Sunni are struggling like never before. The raid on Mic my bar was a watershed in that it involved the taking into temporary custody the foreign customers. Their putative crime was indeterminate but may have amounted to nothing more than being in the company of minors. This can now happen in any bar; who knows the ages of all the boys except the bar owners. Now everyone is scared. Hard times ahead for gay Thailand as we have come to know it.

anonone
April 29th, 2013, 06:14
GUY club attire tends to alternate days between the jeans and the briefs. I haven't been able to figure out a pattern, though like you I prefer the briefs.
I don't mind the jeans in Nice Boys, as they are usually pulled down and the boys are taking things in hand. :evil4:

No pictures or videos this time around. I didn't take too many tourist shots as I figure most everyone on the board has seen the sights of Pattaya. The photos I did take are of BF, friends, and myself....don't think those should go on the web.
I went into Songkran determined to experience everything. I was drenched with water, plastered with powder/paste, had my share of ice water blasts, and even played in the foam on the road to Jomtien. Not sure I will rush back to do it again, but was great fun and glad I had the chance to experience it.

While low season, Sunee was not absolutely deserted. Hard to judge due to Songkran, but didn't seem all that different from years past.

I am really leaning toward a side trip during my next visit. Siem Reap, Chang Mai, or Chang Rai are currently at the top of the list. BF does not have a real preference, so I guess I will do some research and see what looks fun. Probably post a trip report after that one.
I am sure to be posting some requests for info in the Asian forum soon enough. Any advice or recommendations are always welcome.

paperboy
April 29th, 2013, 06:38
hi
thanks for the report
im going to sein reap next month may
so will do a report when i get back
then off to patatay and bkk too
ive donr chaing mai and chaing ria
there are great and wonder places and a must

Up2U
April 29th, 2013, 09:10
I don't see how anyone can come to any meaningful conclusion about Pattaya bars and nightlife based on a visit during Song Kran.

ceejay
April 29th, 2013, 13:51
I am really leaning toward a side trip during my next visit. Siem Reap, Chang Mai, or Chang Rai are currently at the top of the list. BF does not have a real preference, so I guess I will do some research and see what looks fun. Probably post a trip report after that one.
I am sure to be posting some requests for info in the Asian forum soon enough. Any advice or recommendations are always welcome.
Wherever you go, it obviously won't have the same bar scene as Pattaya. Have you considered timing the side visit to coincide with one of the big Isaan festivals? They give a focus to the trip, and they are a load of fun. There is always a big MorLam stage set up somewhere and partying into the small hours. The ones I have been to are:
Yasothon Rocket Festival (May)
Phi Ta Khon (aka Ghost Festival) - Dansai, Loei province, (June)
Ubon Ratchathani Candle Festival (July)
Naga Fireball Festival Nong Khai (October)
Surin Elephant Roundup (late November)
The hotels in these cities book out months in advance, so you need to plan early to visit the festivals. If you have your own transport, an alternative plan is to stay outside the city and drive in (but that means no drinking at the Morlam!)

Neal
April 29th, 2013, 14:13
Great info Ceejay but caution as dates may have changed. For example the one that is listed for June looked interesting but when I checked the dates for 2013 are 10-12 July 2013. Time for me to make reservations. Anyone been there an know the name of a hi-so hotel/resort? What is the name of the city/town?

ceejay
April 29th, 2013, 14:50
Thanks, Neal, I should have mentioned the question of dates. Apart from the Surin Elephant Roundup, all of these festivals are on movable dates, connected to the lunar calendar in one way or another. You need to check before you start making plans. It can be surprisingly difficult to get an exact date far enough in advance to book.
The one in June is the Phi Ta Khon festival (the final date for this is traditionally set by a local fortune teller, but always falls at about the same time, on a weekend!). This takes place in the town of Dansai in Loei province. It's a small town, with limited hotel resources. I stayed at the Phuphanam resort:
http://www.agoda.co.uk/asia/thailand/lo ... ACQ&cklg=1 (http://www.agoda.co.uk/asia/thailand/loei/phu_pha_nam_resort_spa.html?type=1&site_id=1410012&url=http://www.agoda.co.uk/asia/thailand/loei/phu_pha_nam_resort_spa.html&tag=0FF4562A-A41D-4073-B2DE-AF206427F014&gclid=CLyr9JCu77YCFWXJtAodmHsACQ&cklg=1)
The photos are, in my experience, accurate which is not always the case for hotel photos on the web! Judging by these, the place has had something of a refit since I was there (2011). The place is well staffed at festival time. The group has a hotel in Bangkok and they send staff up to Dansai to meet the seasonal demand. The hotel was, surprisingly for festival time, not full when I was there. A lot of their business is from Japanese tourists, and many of these had cancelled in the aftermath of the 2011 earthquake and tsunami.
I suggest booking through Agoda. Like most places, they have a surcharge for the festival days, but when I booked through Agoda, this was not charged.

Edit: just dawned on me that I actually did a trip report:
post239376.html?hilit=phi%20ta%20khon#p239376 (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/post239376.html?hilit=phi%20ta%20khon#p239376)