PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new laptop

lexus
April 21st, 2013, 21:06
I want to buy my BF a new laptop, so we can communicate once I return home. I went to Tuc com and was shocked that all the laptops were sold without an operating system.

I was offered the real deal (windows 8) 3000 baht extra, or I could get a copy for 600 baht. I told the sales lady that I had never heard of a computer being sold without the operating system, which of course also makes me wonder if the computer itself was real or a copy.

Does anyone have experience in buying a laptop here in pattaya. I dont mind paying a fair price, but I want a genuine name brand.

zubes
April 21st, 2013, 22:24
Go to Wantana opposite Foodland on Pattaya Klang, brand names with warranty and os pre installed

lukylok
April 21st, 2013, 22:30
I would advise you NOT to buy Windows 8, it is a nightmare !

bucknaway
April 22nd, 2013, 00:15
I hear windows 8.1 will unlock more of the windows 7 feel

cdnmatt
April 22nd, 2013, 06:56
1. Yeah, it's completely fine and legitimate to sell computers without an OS, especially out in Asia where a) they need to keep the prices low as they can, and b) most people aren't too worried about a genuine copy of Windows and are happy with a copy.

2. Get Windows 7, not 8. Seems like every 2nd release of Windows is shit, so wait for Windows 9, as that one should be excellent. Same as how Vista was horrible, but Windows 7 is great, or 2000 was horrible, but XP was great, etc.

3. You're getting ripped off. Here at least, it's 300 baht, and they'll format the computer and put several thousand dollars worth of (counterfeit) software on it, including Windows.

SmoothLegs
April 22nd, 2013, 07:19
Unless your BF is well established with knowledge who computers work and operate, which most Thai boys are NOT, I would not bother with buying him a new one.

He will only fill it up with loads of crap downloaded from the internet, incl. all his friends will do the same, and get one virus after an other, which will F..K up the computer.
Or share CD/DVD to install stuff from his friends which 99.99% sure will have viruses.
All the crap he/they download ang install will make the laptop very very slow.

If it is just to stay in contact, have regular appointments/time he is in an internet shop.
Or buy him a cheap second hand laptop
Or a cheap (second hand) iPad

But it is your money, do as you wish. Also, depending on your BF, do not be surprised if the laptop ends up in a pawn shop (with maybe an excuses as "Oh, darling, I am sorry, somebody stole my laptop."

Just as others mentioned here already, NONO to Windows 8, just have Windows 7 installed.

Sooty
April 22nd, 2013, 10:10
A Galaxy Note will be more useful, always assuming he can find free WiFi, and comparable cost.

Khor tose
April 22nd, 2013, 11:10
I would advise you NOT to buy Windows 8, it is a nightmare !

I totally agree.

A Galaxy Note will be more useful, always assuming he can find free WiFi, and comparable cost.

Smart idea. Everything he needs and a great operating system (android). I have the Note 1 and have played with the new Note II and would recommend you save yourself some money and buy the Note1. It is 1/2 the cost and has almost all the same features and of the newer Note.

lexus
April 22nd, 2013, 11:57
Thank you all for your advice.

timmberty
April 22nd, 2013, 14:19
3. You're getting ripped off. Here at least, it's 300 baht, and they'll format the computer and put several thousand dollars worth of (counterfeit) software on it, including Windows.
i dont get this .. are you saying you can get a computer for less than $10 that is filled with software worth several thousands ?
or you are buying a computer for less than $10 but its full of crap ? counterfeit good are worthless to anyone who knows whats what and totally illegal. so better to buy something decent i reckon.
tho i wouldnt buy a boy a computer unless you are happy to know he will be using it for hook ups.

cdnmatt
April 22nd, 2013, 15:16
No, I meant you can give them a clean laptop with no operating system, or a laptop full of viruses, or whatever. For 300 baht, they'll wipe it clean, install Windows, and a couple thousand dollars worth of other software for you, like Microsoft Office, Adobe products, etc.

Oliver
April 22nd, 2013, 17:16
Make sure he lives in apart of the country where wi-fi is available.

christianpfc
April 22nd, 2013, 17:57
No experience with buying a laptop in Pattaya, but I have been looking at computers (laptop, deskop, all-in-one) in Bangkok with the intention of buying one.

About half of the laptops on offer are with OS, half without OS. The one that is closest to my requirements comes with Linux, but I want Windows 7 (genuine 3000 Baht, copy 300 Baht), so I postpone my purchase (or decide for something different) because I don't want to pay twice (for Linux already installed and for having it removed and replaced by Windows 7).

Thanks for all comments on Windows Versions.

paperboy
April 22nd, 2013, 20:48
hi
i arrive in 5 weeks :party

im bringing a note book for my freind
and will get a thai windows installed when im there
so he can use it in both launguages

ceejay
April 23rd, 2013, 04:04
Unless you are planning on setting this up as a dual boot system, you can only have one operating system at a time on it. If you install the Thai version of Windows, it will write over the existing version.

Is it a new computer you are buying? If it is, then you could buy it with Windows 7 Home Premium on it, and upgrade that to Windows 7 Ultimate. You can download free extra language packs for that (including a Thai pack) which make it truly bilingual - the whole OS is translated and you can switch between languages. (You can install more than 2 - but you use a lot of disc space)

Alternatively, you can get a free Thai language pack for Win 7 Home or Win Vista (if it is an old machine) but this only translates the most commonly used screens.

paperboy
April 23rd, 2013, 17:05
hi again

the note book has windows xp english on it
where would be the best place bkk or pataya to get windows in thai
put on it please.
its a present for my friend who is at uni
and can not afford to buy 1
so i want to surprise him
thanks
paperboy

ceejay
April 23rd, 2013, 17:47
You could try this before you install a new operating system:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download ... px?id=1231 (http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=1231)

If you do decide to have a new operating system installed, you might consider using this software to erase the hard disc first:
http://www.oo-software.com/en/products/oosafeerase
(There are a number of freeware utilities to do the same job, but I haven't used them)
That makes sure that there are no recoverable traces of personal data left on a hard disc you no longer have control of (or at least, not recoverable to anyone who doesn't have a sophisticated computer forensics lab available to them)