PDA

View Full Version : So there are 2 different Thailands?

bucknaway
April 15th, 2013, 03:19
Seems there are two different Thailands. One where you need your wallet and money at all times if you are going to have the slightest interaction with almost all natural born Thailander. Then there is the other Thailand where many of the people are not interested in the cash in your wallet, they are more interested in you, the visitor, and you going away with a positive impression of their country.

To the first group, all sex costs money. To the 2nd group, commercial sex costs money but they don't depend on commercial avenues for sexual gratification. To the first group, they can't wrap their heads around the notion that a Thai person would have sex with a vacationer for fun and fear that if more vacationers have free sex the paid sex workers will dwindle to a few and that prospect only frightens those who depend on the commercial men & women for their sexual adventures.

A visitor could have 100's of sexual encounters where no money changes hands with the general population, but when things go left and the two parties are on different pages where one thought it was just another casual "money-free" sex adventure, and the other was hoping for cash... Well, that is where the first group want to point at one of their commandments which states "Thou shall pay for sex!" Yet, they ignore all the other 100's of their other encounters where no money was required.

Sure, there will be those who lie and say they are not interested in money for sex, but after the sex they will ask for taxi money or something similar.

The people in the first Thailand forget that the commercial sex workers are human with everyday emotions, wants, dreams, dislikes, pains, fears and regrets. They experience lust, repulsion, love and jealousy just as we all do. They may even be lustful of a bar visitor just as we fancy a person or two from our own place of employment.

Even here in the USA I have gone to social events and given free entry by a worker for the simple of all reasons. We clicked. I've been given free drinks from bartenders, bar owners and bar strangers. I've also given away my fair share of drinks and food. Yet when it is mentioned that bar workers in Thailand offered to provide free sexual services after the bar closes and to wait for them... Well that is just too much for the first group to accept. If it never has happened to them then as far as they are concerned, it could never ever happen to anyone else. EVER!

To the second group. Making the mistake of sleeping with someone who later reveals that they were doing it in the hopes to be paid... Well we don't like being tricked and if it happens more than we care to be accepting of, we may handle it badly. Still... We won't revert fully back into the first Thailand if only because we are happy at home in the 2nd Thailand.

And for the record, off all the free sex offered to "Me" by commercial sex workers, I only took one guy up on his offer and in the morning they asked for taxi money so I chalked it up to not being as free as they promised. Since then I have rejected all free offers of sex from bar workers knowing that they most likely won't be free.

I was reminded of this when I was in Chiang Mai when a bar manager gave me a ride from his bar to another bar. That ride turned into something else that I was not expecting or looking for. The manager stayed with me as I bar hopped. I had to buy him drinks as well as myself. Each time I reminded him that I was Okay now, he refused to take the hint and stayed with me making it impossible for me to connect with anyone else. We ended up back at my room and yes we did have sex. I like to think that he enjoyed it more than I did. And when we woke in the morning..... He asked for gas money. (Sigh).

So now when I step out of the 2nd Thailand and into the commercial sex of the 1st Thailand, I remember that free is not free and if you are not careful, free can often cost more than the typical cost of doing business.

So when I read a post and the guy is up on his soap box preaching the 1st commandment of Thailand.... "Thou Shall Pay For Sex!" I know they live in the 1st Thailand and know nothing to little of the 2nd Thailand where our commandment is. "Be Respectful, Kind and Have Fun."

cdnmatt
April 15th, 2013, 05:52
Believe it or not, there's actually a 3rd Thailand too. One where the vast majority of this countries' citizens are actually quite socially & sexually conservative.

Tough to believe for some maybe, but not all Thais are constantly running around looking to have sex with strangers several times a day. Weird, ain't it?

Neal
April 15th, 2013, 06:02
No it's not wierd it is just those of us who get brought here to a certain place and have stayed in this place don't get to see the real Thailand. Then again I have visited another city "unnamed" where yes there were a few things more to do but there were the sex massage parlours and bars to go to at night, just not in your face like Pattaya.

April 15th, 2013, 09:38
Tough to believe for some maybe, but not all Thais are constantly running around looking to have sex with strangers several times a day. Weird, ain't it?Damn shame is what Id call it.

Thai Dyed
April 15th, 2013, 12:09
flaming

gregvc
April 15th, 2013, 13:20
yes Matt. My BF (50yrs old) has a good job in a 5 star hotel where we live. I meet professional Thais who possibly never associate with the sex starved western tourists. I like to dabble sometimes but there are enough saunas off the main track so that payment never arises.

loke
April 15th, 2013, 22:48
yes Matt. My BF (50yrs old) has a good job in a 5 star hotel where we live. I meet professional Thais who possibly never associate with the sex starved western tourists. I like to dabble sometimes but there are enough saunas off the main track so that payment never arises.

If you have a BF that is 50 years old that must be another Thailand than I am living in . Possibly another planet . :8(

Yes I had free sex in Thailand with a boy I met in a night club and he was just horny . It happens.

gregvc
April 16th, 2013, 00:46
Matt, it staggers me how limited the life of a westerner in Thailand can be. Because of my Thai 50yr BF (I am 57), we go to Embassy parties, Fashion Magazine anniversaries, and functions for all kinds of HiSo with lawyers, doctors, ex TV personalities and corporate hi flyers. I am beginning to appreciate this more as I read the contributions above. Not that we are rich. We have been together for more than 16 yrs but we meet THai couples who have been together for 10 + yrs, but you won't find them trolling for young men in Pattaya.
What happens to the western guys after a few yrs of paying for sex and complaining about the lack of love?

gaymandenmark
April 16th, 2013, 01:08
Only 2 different Thailands.?

No, there are more different Thailands, like there are so many different thai smiles.
It is only possible to decode this smiles, when you have seen a smile of sorrow and sadnes.

What I like about MY Thailand, is that I can interact, and enjoy it, with different parts of the society.

I have friends in the industry, but also middleclass and Hi-So, both old rich and new-rich, but not at the same time.

I respect them all, what ever they are doing for living, and I would never take it as a personal attac if someone asked for money to buy some gasoline.

I have had my big part of free sex, maybe because the guys are interested in me, and not only in my wallet. You know that can in fact happen.

But at the same time, I don't feel I am paying for sex when I invite a date for drinks, breakfast or dinner.

And believe me, even in Thailand it is possible, in a polite way, to say "get off my back".

Thai Dyed
April 16th, 2013, 12:09
What happens to the western guys after a few yrs of paying for sex and complaining about the lack of love?

"I don't believe in love. I believe in fucking. It's honest, it's efficient. You get in and out with the maximum of pleasure, and minimum of bullshit. LOVE is something straight people tell themselves they're in, so they can get laid and they end up hurting each other, because it was all based on lies to begin with."
-Brian Kinney

SmoothLegs
April 17th, 2013, 02:50
Bucky, I did not have to read all of it, too long anyway.

There is ONLY 1 Thailand, which is very good and good people.
You are confusing, Pattaya, Phuket, area's of Bangkok with Thailand.

The places you come and go to fuck (or get fucked) is NOT Thailand.

Thailand is GOOD

svyturys
April 18th, 2013, 05:33
Believe it or not, there's actually a 3rd Thailand too. One where the vast majority of this countries' citizens are actually quite socially & sexually conservative.

Tough to believe for some maybe, but not all Thais are constantly running around looking to have sex with strangers several times a day. Weird, ain't it?

Absolutely agree with this statement. I used to date a Thai in London and he told me about all this and how inappropriate things like threesomes, group sex or open relationship, so common among whites, are for his country. Social conservatism must be an acurate definition.

Thai Dyed
April 18th, 2013, 11:57
Social conservatism must be an acurate definition.

As long as Thais keep giving us their boys and girls to have sex with, who cares what their social outlook is? Actions speak louder than words. Thais, or anyone else, can believe in any moral nonsense they wish as long as I can have sex with their boys.

cdnmatt
April 18th, 2013, 12:12
This thread reminds me of one time quite a while ago. Can't remember what I was doing, but was out front of the house playing with the dogs, or chatting with the neighbors, or something. The girl comes strolling down the street with a couple friends in tow, and it's pretty obvious she's from the bar scene, as she sticks out like a sore thumb. I don't know why she thought it was a good idea to dress like that, but whatever, up to her.

Then I don't know why, and maybe she was being a little egotistical because from farang just gave her a chunk of money, but as she's walking by she actually blurts out, "hey, sexy man!". LOL, uggh... My neighbors were definitely a little surprised at the whole display.

Funny, first and last time I've seen her. Wouldn't surprise me if whoever she was visiting gave her a bit of a talking to, and told her to never show up in the neighborhood again looking and acting like that.

April 22nd, 2013, 10:35
As long as Thais keep giving us their boys and girls to have sex with, who cares what their social outlook is? Actions speak louder than words. Thais, or anyone else, can believe in any moral nonsense they wish as long as I can have sex with their boys.Right on Thai died you got it in one. Hey Matt those cats and dogs and kids what you right about are them the ones you left behind in Isarn which Thailand was that mate first second or third?

andrewcraig
April 22nd, 2013, 12:29
. Hey Matt those cats and dogs and kids what you right about are them the ones you left behind in Isarn which Thailand was that mate first second or third?

WTF is brisbaneguy talking about.

Brisbaneguy should be out marking tyres, or something useful. His remarks are stupid

Sooty
April 22nd, 2013, 17:18
I imagine it has something to do with cdnmatt being so insufferably self-righteous for so long about the infinite moral superiority of life in Khon Kaen and then suddenly - poof - all over, everyone in Isaan is an arsehole, he'll never set foot in the place again.

hai336
April 24th, 2013, 20:22
Comments by both Thai Dyed and Brisbaneguy are stupid.

carruthers
April 24th, 2013, 23:04
One of my earliest trips to Thailand, many years ago now, a expatriate resident made the comment, "the only good thing about Bangkok is that it is quite close to Thailand". I suppose the same thing goes for Pattaya and even more so for Phuket.