View Full Version : statistical information about visitors in Chonbury

ikarus
April 9th, 2013, 06:18
Here is quite stunning information about visitors to Chonbury province most of which actually visited Pattaya in 2012. Among 9 million visitors about 3 million are Thais, 2.2 million Russians and Chinese with 700000 are distance third. If you take Thailand in general Chinese are number one, followed by Malaysians and Russians are only third. Why Pattaya disproportionally attracts Russians visiting Thailand is quite enigmatic for me. But sheer amount of Russians in Pattaya that is what so irritating especially taking into account their prevailing homophobia(not that I am Russophobe).

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakin ... 03664.html (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Chon-Buri-sees-9mn-visitors-in-2012-30203664.html)

NickysGayPattaya
April 9th, 2013, 09:30
They say there are lies, damn lies and statistics. I know the number of Russians in Pattaya has exploded. That any ex-pat can see with their own eyes. No need for stats for that. However, the Ministry of Tourism's own stats for the whole of Thailand are printed here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in ... statistics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand#Annual_statistics)

They say only 1.3 million Russians came to the whole of Thailand in 2012. Somewhere, someone is making things up!

Having said all that ... the reason Pattaya attracts Russian is the same reason Phuket does. Thailand is cheap, easy to get to, relaxed, warm and Pattaya has beaches (oh and girls and beer and ... ). It's the equivalent to Gran Canaria in the 1990s/2000s for Brits. I wonder how many Straight Spaniards would have been saying on an imaginary Forum back in 2002 "Why Maspalomas disproportionally attracts British visiting the Canaries is quite enigmatic for me. But sheer amount of English in the Jumbo Centre that is what so irritating especially taking into account their prevailing homosexuality (not that I am Englishphobe)."

ikarus
April 15th, 2013, 10:08
They say there are lies, damn lies and statistics. I know the number of Russians in Pattaya has exploded. That any ex-pat can see with their own eyes. No need for stats for that. However, the Ministry of Tourism's own stats for the whole of Thailand are printed here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in ... statistics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand#Annual_statistics)

They say only 1.3 million Russians came to the whole of Thailand in 2012. Somewhere, someone is making things up!

Having said all that ... the reason Pattaya attracts Russian is the same reason Phuket does. Thailand is cheap, easy to get to, relaxed, warm and Pattaya has beaches (oh and girls and beer and ... ). "
Wikipedia data does not look plausible to me. Among 20 countries presented I do not see Ukraine and Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, for example. And a number of visitors from Ukraine should be somewhat comparable with Russia.On the other hand, Nation quite possibly combined visitors from the whole post-Soviet space. I do not think that your explanation holds the water. I have not been to Phuket for a couple of years but my impression that Russians do not dominate there. I would say Indians and Arabs are more prevalent. Besides, Russians typically travel in families (not only parents and kids but frequently grandma too). How sleazy Pattaya with dirty water can be attractive for them I do not know. Phuket and Samui (or Hua Hin) should be much more attractive ....
Two new orthodox churches, at least 5 Russian TV stations (just in Pattaya!)which according to them have Russian-speaking audience of 250000 people, uncountable number of Russian restaurants, several Russian-language real-estate publications- it is pretty scary. Russians recently adopted several homophobic laws and general public is really homophobic. The combination of these factors (plus growing influence of Russian mafia on entertainment venues) I think
grossly underappreciated by gay expats and may turn out to be the major problem for them in not so distant future.

egel
April 15th, 2013, 22:20
Not that I am keen on Russians, but can anyone actually quote an example of Russian homophobia that they have witnessed in Pattaya?

April 15th, 2013, 22:38
At Tesco Lotus South Pattaya, with my very young looking 30 yr old bf, I was asked by a Russian woman what I intended to do with that "little boy". I said he was actually 30 and also advised her that it was none of her business. Her parting words were, "Go to Hell".

bruce_nyc
April 16th, 2013, 08:34
My bf(#4) is a 20-year-old Russian. He has his American citizenship now, but he is very Russian.... and speaks with a strong accent. He'll be coming with me to Pattaya and Bangkok to be with me and my other 3 bf's this trip. It will be his first time to Thailand. I think he will be very surprised to see how many Russians are there.

On the other hand, even though he is Russian.... he blatantly says, "I don't like Russians." lol

ikarus
April 17th, 2013, 10:41
Not that I am keen on Russians, but can anyone actually quote an example of Russian homophobia that they have witnessed in Pattaya?
I actually understand Russian and I overheard a conversation of two Russian women in Pattaya. The women told to her girlfriend that she flew to Thailand from Russia sitting near two men who immediately as they left Russia started holding hands and "demonstrate their gayness". The woman said : I almost puked...When I was in Singapore with my Thai bf and had dinner in a restaurant a group of Russian men sitting nearby start discussing the age of my bf hinting that he is underage (though he was 21 at the time) .More generally, Russian authorities systematically prohibit gay pride parades everywhere in Russia including Moscow. There is a law in Saint-Petrsburg (which is considered by Russian Duma (parliament) for adoption for the whole country) prohibiting "public promotion of gay lifestyle" etc.