View Full Version : Whatever Happened to......?

Neal
March 29th, 2013, 15:42
Sometimes we have questions about what happened to a person or business we have not seen in awhile. Ask here and in all probability, someone knows something.

I am going to start it off with asking two questions:

1. Whatever happened to Pattaya Gay TV?
I never watched it but I remember it being around during the beginning of 2000 and when I went to Google it I came up with my second question which is:

2. Where did El Duo go? I saw them a couple of times, they were good looking and could sing but then it got boring but I was just curious and heard when they left Cafe Royale that they went to Bangkok.

SmoothLegs
March 29th, 2013, 15:55
Nice one Neal !

Whatever Happened to .... (my sexy slim young body)?

:alc: :occasion4: :old:

Sorry could not resist the humor.

Neal
March 29th, 2013, 15:58
I should try to scan my picture from when I was 18 and about 200 pounds lighter. Had no trouble getting laid then and now but for two completely different reasons! :laughing3:

SmoothLegs
March 29th, 2013, 16:02
For me it was only 10 years ago.

The Thai life did me in. Got lazy, you know, of course all of you know!
:withstupid: Sitting at the computer, sitting on the sofa looking TV, sitting in the bar, sitting on the beach, driving the bike everywhere, because it is to hot to walk.

Magnum
March 29th, 2013, 18:18
....Shamelessmack? I miss him and his blog. Is he dead or seriously ill?

donald1
March 30th, 2013, 08:26
....Shamelessmack? I miss him and his blog.

YES!!!! great question. If anyone has a copy of his Massage Spa Reviews I would
love a copy. I remember it to be quite an exhaustive research project.

anonone
March 30th, 2013, 18:39
Rice Queen Diary is one I miss.

Shameless Mack was good, but there was humor on RQD that was brilliant. Wish it would come back....

jinks
March 31st, 2013, 00:00
You will not have to worry about me in the "whatever happened" category.

My "goodbye" email is written and on the appropriate day, my sister will send it.
You, whom I have in my contacts file, will get my own message of my demise, the date and time of my cremation (Humanist Ceremony).

Like a good old queen, everything prepared in advance, just like Royal Family's will have done so already.

I you want to be on the list, send me an email and I'll save it.

Neal
March 31st, 2013, 00:11
jinks, still driving a taxi four days a week but because of your smoking you are on oxygen I think you said usually more than not. Ya know the old saying that the good die young well you and I are going t out live many of them in fact we already have. jinks! you are depressed today. Pick yourself up and come back for a visit and when you are pumping away at a sweetheart 1/3 your age you will be ok again. When that tragic day comes they won't remember most of us including me so perk up baby!

davidsobe
March 31st, 2013, 03:59
El Duo, singers at Le Cafe Royale, broke up I believe around 2010. One of them, DK Valdez, continued to sing at Le Cafe Royale, where I listened to him from time to time in February 2012. I took some good available-light photos of him singing (often with colored lights) and sent them to both Le Cafe Royal and to his email address, but never got a single response or thank you. I too am curious where they are now. Perhaps back in the Philippines?
I also wonder where the singer Toi went after he departed Le Cafe Royale. I also took many photos of him in February 2010 when he was singing there. He then departed for Bangkok for one of the major gay clubs, Balcony, but I have not seen him advertised at that place in well over a year.

travelerjim
March 31st, 2013, 08:44
El Duo, singers at Le Cafe Royale, broke up I believe around 2010. One of them, DK Valdez, continued to sing at Le Cafe Royale, where I listened to him from time to time in February 2012. I took some good available-light photos of him singing (often with colored lights) and sent them to both Le Cafe Royal and to his email address, but never got a single response or thank you. I too am curious where they are now. Perhaps back in the Philippines?

El Duo has a Facebook page...
http://www.facebook.com/#!/elduomusic

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/travelerjim/ElDuo-1.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/travelerjim/ElDuo2.jpg

Lives in Herford, Germany
From Manila, Philippines
Followed by 321 people on Facebook

I miss El Duo and Toi too...

tj

bing
March 31st, 2013, 09:25
Pearl was a voice from the past that enjoyed a dram or two of 'water of life' or whiskey as the Irish call it. He injected a bit of light hearted humor in days of yore. Never did hear what happened to him. I do miss his contributions.

March 31st, 2013, 15:14
What happened to the guy that used to own/run The CornerBar before Mike and his offsider took over .He was a big American , I always found him very friendly and down to earth. Although when the "Barmy Army" entered he immediately acted like the ma├оtre d of a top end hotel, as if royalty had arrived.
Maybe I was jealous he would ignore me for them!
Anyway hope he is ok,but never saw him again .

March 31st, 2013, 16:23
That would be Gary. He has moved back to the States but still comes over for vacation once or twice a year.

francois
March 31st, 2013, 21:01
2. Where did El Duo go?

As reported by others Richard is in Germany (with a farang?). DK recently finished a singing tour in Germany and returning to Bangkok shortly.

March 31st, 2013, 22:50
That would be Gary. He has moved back to the States but still comes over for vacation once or twice a year.

Yes Gary! I was racking my brain trying to remember his name,but it just wouldn't come. Thanks for that.

christianpfc
April 1st, 2013, 21:51

I have a few printouts from shamelessmack, one of them his "massage picks of the year (I think 2010)". If I find them, I will scan them.

I wonder as well what happened to him. A big loss! Same for ricequeendiary. (I have a complete digital copy of his blog.)

April 2nd, 2013, 22:22

Donald1, you have the sexiest Avatar ,i have Ever seen!
Hope you are not angry if I ask,

Do you know him personally ?
How old is he?
Is he a bottom?
Can I have him (in the biblical sense)?

Oh God ! Make more of them!

Impulse
April 3rd, 2013, 01:36
Whatever happened to Beach Bunny?

dab69
April 3rd, 2013, 03:25

He didn't morph
into Beach Loser?

Impulse
April 3rd, 2013, 04:55
He didn't morph
into Beach Loser? That's not very nice...I like BL even though he does not approve of the goings on in Pattaya. That would be amazing though if it was him as I never liked beach Bunny.

Beachlover
April 3rd, 2013, 06:50
Deleted Neal

That's got me curious too... I did shoot him an e-mail after he disappeared and he replied with something along the lines of Deleted nealI could dig up the e-mail if anyone's interested.

I really hated him when I first started posting here as he was pretty blunt. But now I'd say he would be the poster I agree most with.

His view on Thailand was more realistic than anyone else here. He didn't spend all his time with the poorest working class Thais as most members on these forums seem to, so his view of Thai people was more balanced and accurate. It took me a couple of years of visiting Thailand to realise that... then I realised why he disagreed with so many of the comments made on these forums.

a447
April 3rd, 2013, 15:42
so his view of Thai people was more balanced and accurate.

It's a shame the same can't be said about your view of the members of this board.

Magnum
April 6th, 2013, 14:00
.... Zebedee? His account is not active anymore. His posts are kind of refreshing, is he banned?

@ChristianPFC: Yes, It would be nice to see some memories of shamelessmack, he was the guide of my first trip to BKK. Christian, I would also love to see a detailed report of your life in BKK now, are you still in love with Thailand or do you have enough?

Neal
April 6th, 2013, 14:04
No he was not banned. He had someone say some unpleasant flaming things and he quit. Per the rules and regulations I will not say who.

April 6th, 2013, 17:36
In that Related Topics box at the bottom of each thread I keep seeing the name "homintern" and Ive always assumed he and Beachlover are the same person not sure why.

paperboy
April 6th, 2013, 18:46
the first time i came to thailand was about 14 years ago with my parents, i rememebr going to a club - bar called ICON
ive been back a few times recently and its not there anymore.I would have a great night in there then wait for the singer, and we would go to a disco,
Does any one remmeber this place????

Neal
April 6th, 2013, 20:41
What city was it in because I know a closed Icon in Pattaya.

paperboy
April 7th, 2013, 17:11
Hi Neal

it was in pataya, on the road to jomtein on the left hand side,
the young singer was cute and very good ( in all ways lol)
i think then we were about the same age,

Neal
April 7th, 2013, 18:02
Yes, that is the one.
The buiding was torn down a few years ago and rebuilt. Originally it was opened as a high class gay hotel, dining place, brothel etc under the name Rome. Rome advertised on large billboards and did not mention anywhere that it was a gay establishment so my opinion was that probably many straight people also went to it and later realized it was for the gay community. I was quite shocked when I saw thier billboards and already sensedwhat the problem might be.

Less than a year later I was told, not sure which, that the gay community was either discouraged or told otherwise by the person who answered the phone that it was not a gay establishment anymore. I am trying to remember but my birdie is telling me that is was said in a rude and emphtic way.

jinks
April 7th, 2013, 18:18
Yes, that is the one.
The buiding was torn down a few years ago and rebuilt. Originally it was opened as a high class gay hotel, dining place, brothel etc under the name Rome. Rome advertised on large billboards and did not mention anywhere that it was a gay establishment so my opinion was that probably many straight people also went to it and later realized it was for the gay community. I was quite shocked when I saw their billboards and already sensed what the problem might be.

Less than a year later I was told, not sure which, that the gay community was either discouraged or told otherwise by the person who answered the phone that it was not a gay establishment anymore. I am trying to remember but my birdie is telling me that is was said in a rude and emphatic way.

TOTALLY WRONG !

It was on the road to Jomtien about half a mile after the flyover. It always was the Icon, next to Mr Macs.
William and David, two Australians opened it and had grandeous ideas for the place, including a share issue to regular clients.
They sold out most to a company from Bangkok who ran the Spinx restaurant just down from The Balcony and incidentally next to the site of a failed club called ROME.

They opened a show bar on the ground floor of Mr Macs, Closed this and opened a larger self contained place down the hill near to the flyover.

In between time for a whole year, they opened The Icon Bangkok in the renamed Rome premises.

Lots more true history but my dinner is ready....

Neal
April 7th, 2013, 18:25
I appreciate your TOTALLY WRONG post but that location is exactly where the poster and I are talking about. I know the location well as I had a friend that lived right behind the location and I went to see him all the time. Your extra information as to who the owners were etc might be correct as I don't know or pretend to but you need to reread the previous posts before you jump in with TOTALLY WRONG! The poster and I am referring to the same location.
jinks? Think of it maybe you can get a job as moderator again. You bump old posts without saying anything just as though you were still the moderator.

Neal
April 7th, 2013, 18:44
Here I have helped you understand:

Original post

the first time i came to thailand was about 14 years ago with my parents, i rememebr going to a club - bar called ICON
ive been back a few times recently and its not there anymore.I would have a great night in there then wait for the singer, and we would go to a disco,
Does any one remmeber this place????
Neal
What city was it in because I know a closed Icon in Pattaya?

OP:

Hi Neal

it was in pataya, on the road to jomtein on the left hand side,
the young singer was cute and very good ( in all ways lol)
i think then we were about the same age,

Neal

Yes, that is the one.
The buiding was torn down a few years ago and rebuilt. Originally it was opened as a high class gay hotel, dining place, brothel etc under the name Rome. Rome advertised on large billboards and did not mention anywhere that it was a gay establishment so my opinion was that probably many straight people also went to it and later realized it was for the gay community. I was quite shocked when I saw thier billboards and already sensedwhat the problem might be.

Less than a year later I was told, not sure which, that the gay community was either discouraged or told otherwise by the person who answered the phone that it was not a gay establishment anymore. I am trying to remember but my birdie is telling me that is was said in a rude and emphtic way.

The word "originally" was describing that the Icon building was torn down and The Rome Hotel built. The Rome complex was ORIGINLLY BUILT.......etc......
You dear jinks are jumping in and talking abou the old Icon which is NOT what the OP was asking for nor was it what I was rplying to.

Have a great dinner. :occasion9:

travelerjim
April 7th, 2013, 21:47
The ICON was as located as described by jinks and Neal...

The young singer which entertained nightly at the ICON was Khun "Toi"...
who went on - after Icon's closing - to sing for many years at Cafe Royal Piano Bar in Boyztown.

tj

paperboy
April 7th, 2013, 23:24
thankyou
yes TJ that was his name, seems so so long ago now
do you know what happend to him
i had such a great time with him away back then
if only i knew then what i know now :party

thanks

paperboy

travelerjim
April 8th, 2013, 01:13
thankyou
yes TJ that was his name, seems so so long ago now
do you know what happend to him
i had such a great time with him away back then
if only i knew then what i know now :party

thanks

paperboy

Khun Toi was with Cafe Royale for many years...until this past year.
His contract was ended...and I am not sure where he is now singing.

If anyone knows, please post as I would like to see him perform again
when I return to Thailand in mid-June.

Toi was a graduate in Opera ...YES OPERA...from Chulalongkorn University, the King's Uni
in Bangkok. A talented singer, he would entertain singing songs in Thai as well as English.

He spoke of wishing one day to open a Music Academy for Singing...He would make a great
Professor in Music...and teacher to aspiring singers.

I wish him well...he is a special friend whom I admire and thank for his taking time out
to visit the hospital bed of Dr. Allen Briggs, The Gay Pattayan. Toi was Allen's heart throb :-)
He loved going to hear Toi sing many nights at the ICON Club and then at Cafe Royale.

Allen was dying from cancer when on a Friday afternoon, Toi appeared at the bedside in Bangkok Hospital Pattaya.
Allen was so surprised to see Toi...tears filled Allen's eyes.

When asked for a favorite song he would like Toi to sing...
Allen said: Judy Garlands..."Somewhere Over the Rainbow"...Toi proceeded to sing the song for Allen,
filling Allen's heart with joy...and the hospital room was filled with university law students of Allen's and nurses too.

Following that song, my Thai bf, who often would sing with and for Toi at Cafe Royale during Toi's song breaks,
sang Mariah Carey's "HERO" song to Allen. Allen loved it.

When Allen died a few weeks later, Toi again appeared at Allens funeral at Wat Chai in South Pattaya
and sang Allen's favorite song to him...in his memory..."Somewhere Over the Rainbow"...
such a moving moment for all to witness.
And my Thai bf as well sang "HERO" to Allen in his memory at the funeral.

A touching final tribute to Dr. Allen Briggs, Law Professor at Asian University....
author of the Pattaya Weekly report for many years...and known to us as "The Gay Pattayan"!

Toi is truly special in my book...I wish him well...wherever he may be in Thailand.

tj

paperboy
April 8th, 2013, 06:22
wow

thanks for that TJ

christianpfc
April 9th, 2013, 17:46
@ChristianPFC: Yes, It would be nice to see some memories of shamelessmack, he was the guide of my first trip to BKK. Christian, I would also love to see a detailed report of your life in BKK now, are you still in love with Thailand or do you have enough?

Living and working in Thailand is as I expected it, I am happy to be here and it's the right balance between work and free time (weekends and holiday). Now I am busy in real life and still don't have computer and internet at home, so you will have to wait for reports.

travelerjim
April 10th, 2013, 01:00
wow

thanks for that TJ

paperboy, doing some Google searching...
I see that Khun Toi was singing at the Balcony Bangkok in September last year...
in a special show in which he was start performer/singer.

"Thursday September 1st The Balcony Pub in Silom Soi 4 Bangkok hosted an evening of entertainment headlined by singer Toi. This was his first appearance in Bangkok since his recent move from Le Cafe Royale in Pattaya┬┤s Boyztown."

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/travelerjim/KhunToi3.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/travelerjim/KhunToi1.jpg

If anyone has seen or heard where Toi is singing, please post.
Thank you,

tj

francois
April 11th, 2013, 07:40
Khun Toi was with Cafe Royale for many years...until this past year.
His contract was ended...and I am not sure where he is now singing.

If anyone knows, please post as I would like to see him perform again
when I return to Thailand in mid-June. j

I have been told that Toi is singing in Bangkok, perhaps in Silom Soi 2 or 4. I am only repeating what someone told me so cannot confirm.

francois
April 11th, 2013, 07:43
2. Where did El Duo go?

As reported by others Richard is in Germany (with a farang?). DK recently finished a singing tour in Germany and returning to Bangkok shortly.

I recently learned that DK is doing a radio gig in Manila through 2013.

catawampuscat
April 11th, 2013, 08:17
Bravo Traveller Jim... I never heard of Toi singing for Allen Briggs and I was touched by the story.
Allen Briggs was Gay Pattaya. He founded the original gay Pattaya forum and ran it for many years.
He was a pioneer and a very generous good man who desires to be remembered and celebrated for all
that he did for the gay community..
I also remember Toi from the old Icon and having a drink with him while having some now forgotten issue with a Thai bf
about a dozen years ago. His English was very good and he helped me to understand some things on my first trip..
Thanks for the great memory Traveller Jim..

Patanawet
April 11th, 2013, 12:07
Yes Jim, Toi did perform one night at Balcony Pub in Bangkok but it was in September 2011.
There is a video of the show that night on the BalconyPubBangkok channel on Youtube.
This should be the link ---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF5R0IpV ... NQ&index=1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF5R0IpVhhg&list=UUqtmcRHNy3n_-G1YbBqS6NQ&index=1)

If that doesn't work, it can be found on Balcony's website.

travelerjim
April 11th, 2013, 15:24
Yes Jim, Toi did perform one night at Balcony Pub in Bangkok but it was in September 2011.
There is a video of the show that night on the BalconyPubBangkok channel on Youtube.
This should be the link ---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF5R0IpV ... NQ&index=1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF5R0IpVhhg&list=UUqtmcRHNy3n_-G1YbBqS6NQ&index=1)

If that doesn't work, it can be found on Balcony's website.

Patanawet,
Thank you for the link to Toi at the Balcony in Sept 2011...
I enjoyed listening to him once again.

tj