PDA

View Full Version : Mr Toom Taxi

asntp
March 21st, 2013, 09:22
No Show!
I recently used Mr. Toom's taxi service from the Bangkok airport to pattaya, and it worked out fine. On the strength of this experience, I booked him for the return trip from Pattaya to the the Bangkok airport. I even re-confirmed the reservation two days before the trip, and gave him my cell phone number in Thailand and the phone number of the hotel where I was to be picked up. But his driver did not show up! I sent him emails and text messages while I was waiting and there was no reply at that or ever. Calls to his phone were not answered. This is very irresponsible and I am surprised how he can stay in business by doing this to his repeat customers. I will never use Mr. Toom's service ever again.

bucknaway
March 22nd, 2013, 00:10
Sounds like you had a difficult time, but this being your first post could you take a picture of your cell phones text messages to mr room just so that we know your on the level?

anonone
March 22nd, 2013, 07:01
Good call Bucky.

Now that is what I would call a highly suspect first post.

colmx
March 22nd, 2013, 07:08
I will never use Mr. Toom's service ever again.
Just for clarity... Mr Toom, is not Mr.T
And this thread was about Mr.T, hope Asntp's post does not do Mr.T out of any future business
Using him at least 5 years now, 3 trips per year to and from the Airport+ Bkk... have never been let down ever

Have also ordered Taxis at all sorts of weird and wonderful hours for friends... and never been let down either

I have now split the Mr T thread and this post about Mr Toom Neal

Neal
March 29th, 2013, 14:09
Update:

I m sorry it took me so long to check this out. I contacted Mr Toom a few times regarding different prices and found him to be about 25% more than anyone else. He said it was for a "luxuary van" and when I asked what was the difference between the van I took all the time and his "luxury" van his comment was that I needed to take it in order to see what that difference was. Hmmmm????

Next I asked him about the problem with Asntp and identified myself as the forum owner. I did see the telephone messages making the reservations from Asttp's phone and I did see Mr Tooms reply confirming the reservation. I also saw the messages from Asntp's phone asking where Toom was and that he was late and needed to get to the airport. No replies. I saw other messages that had no relevance. So yes it has all been verified and again I apologize for taking so long to follow uo.

I guess now that that is done we still need a responsible van service other than Mr T and now Mr Toom!

firecat69
March 29th, 2013, 14:39
Well Mr Toom schedules hundreds of trips a year and his drivers don't work for him but he arranges the trip and I assume gets a commission .

I have taken him at least 100 times and never been let down. But he is at the mercy of his drivers and if one lets him down he gets the blame and that is how it should be. But based on my experience I doubt anyone has a better record for the number of trips he schedules.. Evidently the OP has never run a business and had an employee let him down. As far as him being a repeat customer one trip does not make much of a repeat customer.

Thats not to say I don't sympathize with the OP. I have a trip in a few weeks with a 3am pick up and I will be nervous until I hear from the driver.

As far as his prices being 25% more that is ridiculous. He charges 1000 baht Pattaya to the airport . Yes maybe you can find a returning taxi or a junk car for less but good luck making it to the airport. I prefer nice cars and competent drivers because I want to actually get to my airplane in one piece. Now Neal I don't take vans so maybe his price for a Van is 25% higher (maybe) but normal cars are definitely not and it is unfair to make such a broad brush statement.

Keep in mind his prices include all tolls .

Neal
March 29th, 2013, 14:53
I have taken him at least 100 times and never been let down. But he is at the mercy of his drivers and if one lets him down he gets the blame and that is how it should be. But based on my experience I doubt anyone has a better record for the number of trips he schedules..

That is very possible but does not explain the lack of response when questioned about the complaint and it is not proper that he did not answer anstp. H ecould have answered me explaining that and he could have sent a replacement driver when the customer complained that the driver was not there. IMHO since he does hundreds of bookings, he certainly could have handled both and he does understand English.

As far as his prices being 25% more that is ridiculous.

Please do not call my quote on his price "ridiculous" unless you know what I asked for a quote on and the the method of transpotation. Thanks!

As far as my quote was concerned as I stated, I take a van. The van I take on the particular trip is 3,000 baht each way and is nice and clean and certainly adequate and the driver polite and good. Mr Toom was given the same two points of origin and final point and quoted 4,000 baht. When questioned, his response was that he supplies as I said "luxury vans". When asked what was the difference between a "luxury van" and a regular van he said I would have to try it and see.

Now I am sorry firecat but since you don't know the conversation by email you cannot call doubt on the price between what two points and since you have not taken the van service I use you cannot degrade it. IMHO!

firecat69
March 29th, 2013, 18:34
Evidently you are having a bad day and having problems reading. I was plain that I don't take vans so you could be correct. However your wording makes it sound like Mr Toom is 25 % high period on all his quotes and that is just not the case.

In addition you have no idea whether his van is much more luxurious then the one you take because you have never seen it.. It may or may not be a superior product ,but you have no idea. Let's compare apples with apples. Until you have seen it you may be right and you just as easy could be wrong.

Although I don't use vans for normal runs I have on occasion used them for golf outing and there can be a tremendous difference in how the van is outfitted and thus the price.

TravellerDave
March 29th, 2013, 19:14
I've never used Mr Toom. I've travelled from and to the airport in a variety of ways.
Last time in February my flight arrived at 6.00 pm and I caught the public bus at 7.00 pm to Pattaya. This dropped me off on Sukunvit Road at about 8.45 pm and from there I engaged a motor bike taxi to take me and my large bag to the Ambiance arriving a few minutes later. Bus fare 130 baht Motor bike 80 baht. This gave my inner cheap Charlie persona a warm glow, although within an hour I had blown any saving on a couple of Gogo beers and a short time boy.
For my return to the airport I just wandered down Second Road pulling my bag until I saw a parked taxi and offered him 1000 which was accepted and off we went.
As regards the bus I think that the Bell Travel is a better proposition, particularly for those who don't know Pattaya too well.

Marsilius
March 29th, 2013, 19:32
I have had great service from Mr Toom. I took a taxi of his from Pattaya to Bangkok. An hour after arriving at the Bangkok hotel, I realised that a small bag had been left in the boot of the taxi. I called Mr Toom and he instructed the taxi to turn around and deliver my bag to the Bangkok hotel at no extra charge. Of course, as it had been my fault, I gave the driver, who had had two hours of his time wasted, a good tip for his trouble.

Neal
March 29th, 2013, 19:41
It is obvious that from all the reports and reviews that he is an excellent van company. I guess he just needs some training on what to do when a driver of his fucks up and how to describe the features of this luxury van when someone inquires, not just a you will have to see.

March 29th, 2013, 19:54
I have used this service to and from Pattaya / Don Mueang Bangkok, and while the service was good ...punctual and comfortable, I was charged 1400Thb each way, plus I gave the driver a tip, they supplied bottled water also. Was 1400THB too much I wonder?

Neal
March 29th, 2013, 20:08
What I have experienced is that cars are 800 baht, large taxis and large cars are 1,100 baht. I would have no idea what a van would be but I would assume it would be a little more than the 1,100. Now also you need to take into consideration whether they are using the toll way or not. I just put 150 in their cup to take care of the tolls and tell him I want the toll road. If he doesn't use the toll road I take it back and he gets very little tip. I also understand on LPG fuel but when the tank is in the boot so I can't get my stuff in properly, it comes out of the tip and I tell them why. you have a taxi to be able to take you and your stuff.

March 29th, 2013, 20:21
I travelled in a big car,no idea what make/ model, but as you mentioned above the cost of the tolls, I forgot about that.
But on my way to Pattaya I am so looking forward to " offing " my mind is focused on one thing only! And even after all these years that feeling of anticipation never leaves me,but only when I'm actually in the car on the road to paradise! Never at airport or on the flight to LOS. I think I subconsciously suppress it until I'm within " offing" distance. LOL
A little off topic sorry!

a447
March 29th, 2013, 22:52
I have used Mr Toom on a number of occasions and his service was ok.
I just wished the drivers would not sms on their mobile phones while tailgating at 140kph!

So if you do not intend to use him again, here's a couple of options I've used.

I have used the bus ( Bell Transport) a few times, and that was ok, too. Comfortable, air-conditioned. But it took too long to get to Pattaya.

I always stay at the Ambience in Pattaya so just find it easier to use their limousine service to and from the airport. It costs a bit more but they always arrive on time, drive carefully and take me right up to the hotel door. No hassles after a long flight is an advantage.
There is also no problem getting one of their drivers to take me to Swampy in the early hours of the morning.

I once ordered a taxi from the street to get to the airport from Pattaya. I was shown a photo of the car and it looked fine. However, it was not the car that arrived to pick me up.
It was dirty, seats were torn and there was no seat belt.

Since then, it's been the Ambience all the way.

joe552
March 29th, 2013, 23:13
I booked Bell Travel last year from Pattaya to the airport and they never showed up. I always use Mr. T (not Mr. Toom) for airport pickup and have had no problems. I'll use him for the return journey this time too.

a447
March 30th, 2013, 08:39
Joe, I had that very same problem when they were supposed to pick me up at the Rose Hotel. I was told to be waiting in the lobby at 1:30. They turned up at 12:30 when I was out having lunch!!

adman5000
March 30th, 2013, 10:57
I have generally had good service with Mr. Toom's drivers. I always give them my cell number because as A447 describes. they may show up early or late given traffic coming into BKK. They once had a problem with the car after the trip started, but another vehicle was called and after a short wait I was on my way again. I understand stuff can happen. I thought the important thing was that they handled it pretty well.

Jellybean
March 30th, 2013, 14:31
asntp you did not say what happened as a result of Mr ToomтАЩs taxi service failing to provide you with a taxi. I am curious to know what you did next. Were you able to get another taxi? And, if so, how quickly and from where or whom? Did you make it to Suwannaphuum Airport on time or did you miss your flight?

I am usually quite anxious on the day of my departure, constantly checking and rechecking my tickets, that I have my passport, that everything else is in order and checking that I havenтАЩt forgotten anything etc., etc.

I appreciate that several posters have said theyтАЩve had no problems with various taxi services, but if I was leaving Pattaya for Suwannaphuum Airport and heading home, I think IтАЩd probably spend either my last day or days in Bangkok in order to avoid the stress and worry about the taxi arriving on time, the taxi breaking down on route, getting involved in a road traffic accident and making it to the airport on time. Then on the day of departure IтАЩd simply hail a Bangkok public taxi to take me to the airport.

anonone
March 30th, 2013, 19:14
Sounds like a bad one-off from Mr. Toom. As I posted on a different thread, I had a series of disappointments from Mr T, so switched over to Mr. Toom late last year. Only a couple of experiences with him so far, but all OK for now. I will keep with Mr Toom as long as the service remains good....or there are numerous posters reporting a decline in service.

Mr T and Mr Toom seem to be the most talked about services. I am not staying at the Ambiance, so their service is probably not a good option. There seemed to be another choice talked about...a former KD dancer perhaps?

Jellybean...I understand what you are saying, but I do not like to waste time changing hotels and such. Flights back to the USA leave BKK at 6 AM or so. I like to party on my last night, jump into the taxi at 0300 for the trip to BKK, then sleep on the plane most of the way home. If my 0300 taxi does not show up, I am willing to bet I can wander down a major Pattaya street and quickly find a taxi to BKK. Honestly, I am more worried about getting to Thailand without incident. Once I am there, missing a flight and having another day in Thailand would not be an awful thing. :glasses7:

Jellybean
March 30th, 2013, 19:34
Oh anonone, partying on your last night to 3.00am in Pattaya, jumping in a taxi for a 6.00am flight in Bangkok тАж there was a time when I would have done the same. Now I worry about catching my flight and stressing that IтАЩve forgotten something! Crikey! When did I get so old? : (

joe552
March 30th, 2013, 20:01
rest assured, Jellybean, you're not alone :old:

colmx
March 30th, 2013, 20:09
Oh anonone, partying on your last night to 3.00am in Pattaya, jumping in a taxi for a 6.00am flight in Bangkok тАж there was a time when I would have done the same. Now I worry about catching my flight and stressing that IтАЩve forgotten something! Crikey! When did I get so old? : (

I did the same on last trip in January
Dave till 5am... sleep 1 hour and Then taxi to airport at 6.30
Never again!!

That is i will never go asleep for 1 hour again.. will just keep the party going ad go straight to the airport! :party

joe552
March 30th, 2013, 22:01
If I did that, I'd probably just fall asleep somewhere in the airport and miss the flight - wouldn't that be fun? :alc:

On my next trip (June) my return flight is at 2.55am so I'm not sure what to do - that's way past my bedtime.

Jellybean
March 31st, 2013, 17:58
Jellybean wrote:
тАЬasntp you did not say what happened as a result of Mr ToomтАЩs taxi service failing to provide you with a taxi. I am curious to know what you did next. Were you able to get another taxi? And, if so, how quickly and from where or whom? Did you make it to Suwannaphuum Airport on time or did you miss your flight?тАЭ

Well, whatever happened to Baby asntp?

Hmm тАж it seems like we will never know how he resolved his problem and if he made it to the airport on time. Suppose weтАЩd better just chalk it up to one of lifeтАЩs mysteries.

joe552 wrote:
тАЬrest assured, Jellybean, you're not aloneтАЭ

Glad to hear I am in good company Joe! I always choose the flight that leaves Bangkok around 20.00 and arrives at London Heathrow at 07.15 the next day, after a short stop-over in Doha. DonтАЩt think I could cope with an early morning flight these days. : (

colmx wrote:
тАЬThat is i will never go asleep for 1 hour again.. will just keep the party going ad go straight to the airport!тАЭ

Very funny post colmx, but you sure know how to kick a guy when heтАЩs feeling down! : (

Neal
March 31st, 2013, 18:00
The great thing about the Ambiance cars is that you can also use them by the hour going places.