PDA

View Full Version : Thai characters on keyboard

bruce_nyc
March 20th, 2013, 21:06
Does anyone know....

If I buy one of my Thai boyfriends a new laptop here in the US, how can we get the Thai characters on the keyboard so he can also type in Thai....?

I know that language settings are simply software.

But is there some sort of Thai character decals or something for the actual physical keys on the keyboard???

How do Thai people deal with this on laptops not purchased inside Thailand?

zubes
March 20th, 2013, 22:20
Tukcom on Pattaya Tai have the stick on decals plus you can easily get a flexible keyboard that has a USB connection

netrix
March 21st, 2013, 01:12
Yep Tuckom in Pattaya or Pantip Plaza in Bangkok.

It's also possible to easily add or change an input language in Windows. They will
do that free in most of the computer shops. The boys at internet cafes know how
to do it too.

Dodger
March 21st, 2013, 04:17
You can buy Thai Keyboard Stickers on Amazon.com for a few bucks if you want to do this in the U.S. See link below:

http://www.amazon.com/Keyboard-Stickers ... B002EX5F60 (http://www.amazon.com/Keyboard-Stickers-Transparent-Lettering-Computer/dp/B002EX5F60)

SmoothLegs
March 21st, 2013, 10:57
Buy a cheap new or second here in Thailand. It will sooner or later end up - for repair or format or add games - in a dodgy :argue: thai comp shop anyway, where they will strip all original parts and replace them with cheap copy parts, while installing nonsence software + virusses

christianpfc
March 21st, 2013, 16:16
Changing a European (US-American...) keyboard to Thai (or other Asian languages) can be a hazzle. My laptop (Windows XP) required data from a CD (which I didn't have), but could solve the problem by copying the respective folder from another computer. (I posted full details on thaivisa forum.)

Once this was solved (took a while), I learned to touch-type Thai so I don't need stickers.

christianpfc
March 25th, 2013, 21:50
can be a hazzle

Hassle is the correct spelling. Thanks to everyone who pointed this out to me.